Type keyword(s) to search

NCIS: Sydney - General Discussion

secnarf
  • Start Topic

With rising international tensions in the Indo-Pacific, a brilliant and eclectic team of U.S. NCIS agents and the Australian Federal Police (AFP) are pulled into a multinational taskforce to keep naval crimes in check in the most contested patch of ocean on the planet.

The eight-episode first season will begin airing Nov 10 in Australia; Nov 13 in USA/Canada.

sny01dlwoqka1.png?width=774&format=png&a

NCIS: Sydney is an 8 episode Drama TV Series airing Monday, November 13, 2023 on CBS at 10pm. NCIS: Sydney will also air weekly in Australia on Paramount+ Australia starting on November 10, 2023.  

MV5BNTNkMjEyZjktZWJlMS00NDRkLTg3MjYtODIw

With rising international tensions in the Indo-Pacific, U.S. NCIS agents and the Australian Federal Police (AFP) are merged into a multinational task force to keep naval crimes in check in the most contested patch of ocean on the planet. 

ncis-sydney-evie-jd-michelle-deshawn-101

Olivia Swann as NCIS Special Agent Michelle Mackey
NCIS_SYD_101_DAS_BTS_9956RT-copy.jpg
Todd Lasance as Sergeant Jim "JD" Dempsey, a 2IC AFP Liaison Officer 

Tuuli Narkle as Constable Evie Cooper, an AFP liaison officer
ncis_sydney_101_das_0113_5605rt.webp
Sean Sagar as DeShawn Jackson, a NCIS Special Agent DeShawn Jackson

William McInnes as Dr. Roy Penrose, AFP forensic pathologist
ncis_sydney_102_das_7510_rt.webp
Mavournee Hazel as Bluebird "Blue" Gleeson, AFP forensic scientist

Well in the case of NCIS Hawaii, it came up in one of the crossover episodes that SAC Tenant's jurisdiction is basically anything and anywhere touched by the Pacific Ocean. This was the ridiculous justification offered so that she could travel with the other characters away from Hawaii but still maintain the authority to yell FEDERAL AGENT while chasing the bad guys across said ocean. I will call this jurisfiction.

In the case of this show, based on the preview clip, I'm going to say they need the US agents there to provide a source of jurisfriction instead.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
50 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

Well in the case of NCIS Hawaii, it came up in one of the crossover episodes that SAC Tenant's jurisdiction is basically anything and anywhere touched by the Pacific Ocean. This was the ridiculous justification offered so that she could travel with the other characters away from Hawaii but still maintain the authority to yell FEDERAL AGENT while chasing the bad guys across said ocean. I will call this jurisfiction.

In the case of this show, based on the preview clip, I'm going to say they need the US agents there to provide a source of jurisfriction instead.

It wasn't so much jurisdiction but as the Pacific Fleet's headquarters at Joint Base Pearl Hickham Special Agent in Charge that she outranked the team leaders from D.C. and Los Angeles to the chagrin of the fans of the other two shows.

Presumably if the US Navy or Marine Corps maintained a base or ships like the WWII submarine base in Australia then Pacific Fleet and SAC Tennant's NCIS office would be an intermediate headquarters before the Pentagon to the team in Australia 

3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Date and Time change: NCIS: Sydney   Tuesday, November 14, 2023    CBS    8pm

That's an odd date.  You get  two episodes in before the US holiday season starts.

7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Since it is an Australian show, maybe American holidays were not considered during the scheduling.

So it seems as if the NCIS folks are banking a show in Australia, where they have to be asking the same questions of why a team of US agents are leads and not the NCIS staple of the liaison officer, to get around the unions in the states.

I can see having to wait for Australia to show it first, but as a strike breaking  you would think CBS would just hold off until January. I guess they are still hoping for a settlement soon and the regular programing will be back by then and not depending on importing for Australia or Flashpoint from Canada back in the day .

Sounds like if we can sell the FBI rolling over European's police forces we can sell NCIS leading Australians, at least until you run out of US sailors, soldiers and coastees who are in Australia 

13 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Oh my! I hope they. aren't going to broadcast the show upside down!! LOL, JK!!   😸  I know this is just an ad...

It would be a hard NOPE if they did though!

Just in the Saturday after football repeat slot.

• Thanks 1

S01.E01: Gone Fission

101_ncis-sydney_photo02.jpg

The death of an American seaman on a U.S. nuclear submarine during an AUKUS ceremony on Sydney Harbour is investigated in a joint effort between America’s NCIS agents afloat and the Australian Federal Police (AFP).

Premiere Date: Tuesday, November 14, 2023      CBS     8pm   

NCIS-090523-02.jpg

It could have been worse. I had to really concentrate to understand the lines from the Australians. Gee, could they have made Mackie any more like Gibbs? The break in the actress's eyebrow was so distracting. So the nuclear experts they flew in from San Diego was the sleeper cell? And the blonde created the radioactive incident so that the cell would be called in? Shouldn't Tennant have been Mackie's boss? I liked the junior partners and the forensic intern. The doctor needs work.

• Like 2

I thought it was fun enough and charming enough, even if it basically takes the Hawaii 5-0/NCIS Hawaii concept and just bakes in the juris-friction as an ongoing feature. I would imagine "they aren't allow to carry guns!" is going to last about half of one more episode.

I wanted to see Tennant as well but I am assuming the lack of legacy characters was something to do with the strike? I assume crossovers will follow in the future.

I don't particularly care if the show goes into detail about the logistics but did this new team just help themselves to a building on a military base? They just moved in and will continue to operate out of here even though they weren't supposed to be there in the first place? They could have included a line from the Australian government official to say "we're putting your new HQ here" but instead I guess it just fell into their laps.

As soon as they said the sailor's white blood cell count was low I knew it was radiation exposure. All these Navy people who can tell you the specific difference between a boat and a ship and none of them have ever read The Hunt for Red October?

• Like 2

As for SAC Tennant being the boss instead of a subordinate to the Pacific fleet from the Singapore base I think part actors strike, partially real life where everyone doesn't report to the big boss. I don't remember how Hawai'i,  or New Orleans fit in a pass the torch cameo into their spinoffs.

The plot that the boat's nuclear power plant is the Navy's biggest secret had me side eying the reason why NCIS.  You had to oversell to justify an ugly American agent taking charge. I guess it wasn't good enough for Australia to want the US more involved with the big unnamed mainland neighbors to the north.

Being able to hijack a helicopter and no Australian security boats around two major warships was more stacking the deck for the desired outcome. The joke of can you crop dust with a helicopter seemed goofy because I have seen it, besides as a naval aviator I know she started on fixed wing aircraft before the Marines had her transition to her helicopter 

• Like 2

Things that bother me: The Lab Lady picks up the hair (the she knows) is radioactive with her bare hands and then does super sensitive tests on it.

Why didn't the poisoners use the same radiation as the Nuclear (Boat/Ship?). Then it might have been justified to call in special inspectors, otherwise, I would think shenanigans.

I would have circled back for that weapon of that poor MP that got taken out (and nobody gave a thought about) and found some high ground with cover, it looked pretty sweet in that situation. Especially since the targets were color coded.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I would have circled back for that weapon of that poor MP that got taken out (and nobody gave a thought about) and found some high ground with cover, it looked pretty sweet in that situation. Especially since the targets were color coded.

I was surprised none of the bad guys picked up. One of the first lessons in infantry training is to grab the machinegun if that gunner gets hit.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Grizzly said:

It could have been worse. I had to really concentrate to understand the lines from the Australians. Gee, could they have made Mackie any more like Gibbs? The break in the actress's eyebrow was so distracting. So the nuclear experts they flew in from San Diego was the sleeper cell? And the blonde created the radioactive incident so that the cell would be called in? Shouldn't Tennant have been Mackie's boss? I liked the junior partners and the forensic intern. The doctor needs work.

I agree, it could have been worse.  But I'm starved for new scripted network content so I'm willing to give it a chance.  I like NCIS Hawaii, and I'm sure that if this Sydney show survives, there will be a crossover during its second season.

I like Olivia Swann from "Legends of Tomorrow", but the prickly, bristly agent in charge is a little tired.  I haven't seen Todd Lasance since he was a young Julius Caesar on the last season of Spartacus, I'm assuming he's been working on Australian shows in the intervening years.

I hope Mackey defrosts a lot.  I do like the junior people (although it's already telegraphed that Evie and Jackson will get together) and I don't care for the medical examiner.

This kind of show seems like it would have been the perfect show for Australian Luke Mitchell.  Poor guy can't catch a break, it seems every show he becomes a part of either gets cancelled quickly or his character gets killed.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I don't care for the medical examiner.

I didn't at first, but as the show went on, I started to soften on him.  He's definitely got a rough backstory that I'm sure we will see in the future.  Loved the junior people, and see a lot of potential in the show.  

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Slider said:

I didn't at first, but as the show went on, I started to soften on him.  He's definitely got a rough backstory that I'm sure we will see in the future.  Loved the junior people, and see a lot of potential in the show.  

I would have to re-watch to get his joke about being conscripted. It certainly seemed like he and all of the Federal Police would be in the Ducky role for the future, full time with NCIS, however many times someone dead connected to the US Navy can show up. Rather than the Loretta role of working for Jefferson Parish who is deputized to the Navy when something comes up.

I remember Todd Lasance from so many things, starting with Crownies and he was fine, but I didn’t like Olivia Mann. Her mouth barely moved and I can’t remember it being that obvious in Legends of Tomorrow.

The chopper stunt at the end reminded me more of Hawaii 5-0 than NCIS.

Hopefully ep 2 will be better.

• Like 3

Ratings: NCIS: Sydney Is Fall’s Most-Watched Debut, Fuels CBS’ Best Tuesday of the Season
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   NOVEMBER 15, 2023 
https://tvline.com/ratings/ncis-sydney-premiere-cbs-viewership-1235080984/ 

The Stateside premiere of NCIS: Sydney on CBS drew 5.6 million total viewers and a 0.3 demo rating on Tuesday night (per Nielsen finals), making it the most-watched series debut of the 2023-24 TV season thus far.

On 11/17/2023 at 6:26 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

Most watched debut?  Low bar. It’s almost the only debut. 

Hah, yep, exactly my thought.  I'm trying to figure out how this show got around the actors/writers strike?  Was it already in the can and ready to go?

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Hah, yep, exactly my thought.  I'm trying to figure out how this show got around the actors/writers strike?  Was it already in the can and ready to go?

Filmed in Australia - not SAG jurisdiction. 

• Useful 1

S01.E02: Snakes in the Grass

ncis-sydney-roy-jd-michelle.jpg

When a Navy compliance officer is found dead in a waterhole from a snakebite, the team works to uncover the origin of the rare deadly taipan that is uncommon to the area where the officer was discovered.

Premiere Date: Tuesday, November 21, 2023      CBS     8pm   

ncis-sydney-102-preview01.jpg

ncis-sydney-102-preview02.jpg

102_ncis-sydney_photo03.jpg

If Agent Jackson whined one more time about not having a gun, especially after Constable Cooper gave a line about NCIS needing to qualify first I was at the throw something at him stage.

I would normally snark about rank versus shown responsibilities on TV shows that supply depot seemed to be a major concern to  just see a Chief Petty Officer and the dead Staff Sergeant in charge of a few guards and local laborers.  I have never been on that side of the operation but just weighing weapons without someone actually eyeballing them and verifying serial numbers seemed off. That perhaps the bad guys stealing anything that weighs as much as a truck driver should have been more mundane items than a special operations forces experimental rifles.

I thought this was a solid and enjoyable second episode.  The team is starting to gel together.  Evie and DeShawn are working well together, and the beginnings of mutual respect are forming between Mackey and JD.  I do think the quirky tech person is a staple of these types of procedural shows, but this one is growing on me, especially after "Mackey dumbass".

Mackey herself does give slight indication of being less uptight, she was able to laugh at the parrot in the closing moments of the episode.

I think this show is doing a great job of incorporating Australian culture.  I learned about a snake I had never heard of before.  And I always love hearing the word "kookaburra", it has to be one of the more fun words to say in the English language.  "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree, merry merry king of the bush is he.  Laugh, kookaburra, laugh, kookaburra, gay your life must be."  Always reminds me of my mother.

Edited by blackwing
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, blackwing said:

I thought this was a solid and enjoyable second episode.  The team is starting to gel together.  Evie and DeShawn are working well together, and the beginnings of mutual respect are forming between Mackey and JD.  I do think the quirky tech person is a staple of these types of procedural shows, but this one is growing on me, especially after "Mackey dumbass".

Mackey herself does give slight indication of being less uptight, she was able to laugh at the parrot in the closing moments of the episode.

I think this show is doing a great job of incorporating Australian culture.  I learned about a snake I had never heard of before.  And I always love hearing the word "kookaburra", it has to be one of the more fun words to say in the English language.  "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree, merry merry king of the bush is he.  Laugh, kookaburra, laugh, kookaburra, gay your life must be."  Always reminds me of my mother.

There was a lot from all the characters bringing in drinks to build the team but quirky tech support is not there for me yet. At least she is supposed to be some sort of cadet, comparable to the rookie agent on the first episodes of Los Angeles who seemed so green that he had never seen a cop show much less finish the academy and be selected for a special branch.

The old medical examiner, as mentor is working well however. Except with the office set up I find it unbelievable that so many US service members are dying and killing folks in Australia that they would need a full time doctor in their warehouse. And they should have followed the New Orleans Loretta and not the  Ducky example.

Agent Mackey might have smiled at the end but the insistence that I drive the car, followed by the wrong side of the road bit, come on. At least the Sergeant played it like he was training her after doing the first drive as she took over the wheel when driving in the countryside at the  animal rescue compound.

Edited by Raja
On 9/18/2023 at 1:11 PM, statsgirl said:

Yeah, I want a good explanation for why the Australians and the other Pacific countries can't handle it on their own.

Two episodes in I still don't get why we don't have a couple NCIS Agents as liaison officers to Australia rather than a 4 man Australian team supporting NCIS.  But more than that what is in it for the Australian audience where the episodes air first watching their police/nation in a  subservient status to America .

And should the Australian partners pull their funding, if any,  from the project because their local audience doesn't buy into the premise it is probably one strike breaking season and out show.

• Love 1

S01.E03: Brothers In Arms

F_BD9vPWUAEKsVr?format=jpg&name=large

When a shark spits out an arm wearing U.S. Navy equipment, the team’s investigation tests the loyalty of a band of former Navy divers.

Premiere Date: Tuesday, November 28, 2023      CBS     8pm 

Conrad Coleby as Lt. Commander Lee  

30_NCIS__SYDNEY_S1_G_AWARENESS_FIRST_LOO

F_BD-zVXcAA8TEY?format=jpg&name=medium

I have decided that I like Blue and I'm glad she got the permanent job (which was obvious from the start that she would get it, this is a TV show).  But the whole "I'm so intimidated and flustered by Mackey" bit was overdone.  Mackey talking about how Blue's personality wasn't really fitting in, I'm assuming that's supposed to be irony because I think Mackey's "tough hardass exterior" has also gotten old.

Do we need to have so many stereotypical tropes on this show?  I know that these types of procedurals tend to have these characters (tough as nails boss, quirky tech person, handsome leading man, weird coroner, fish out of water guy, beautiful young female agent who holds her own against the men) but for once I'd just like a team that is competent and solves cases without all the extra "personality" bits.  I know it will never happen, but still.

Edited by blackwing
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

I am tired of the quirky personalities too.  When Mackey said NCIS isn't a place for those, I said to myself 'well you should visit Hawai'i.  It's a requirement to work for or with NCIS."  

I assume introducing the CIA plot will lead to a crossover with Hawai'i since they're leaning heaving into Tenant's CIA past over there. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Maverick said:

I am tired of the quirky personalities too.  When Mackey said NCIS isn't a place for those, I said to myself 'well you should visit Hawai'i.  It's a requirement to work for or with NCIS."  

I assume introducing the CIA plot will lead to a crossover with Hawai'i since they're leaning heaving into Tenant's CIA past over there. 

I'm not sure, but Hawai'i coming back in the holiday season is my clue for a possibility of a tied in cameo.

But thinking of Special Agent in Charge Tennant reminds me when giving Blue her commission Supervisory Special Agent Mackey  used her full rank.  Sydney being a second show to breakaway from just using Special Agent or Director as used on the mothership and New Orleans 

S01.E04: Ghosted

F_92v3mXwAAS-Ov?format=jpg&name=large

When a U.S. petty officer’s body is found in Sydney’s historic and haunted Rocks area, a decades-old Navy Cross medal holds the clue to solving the murder, leading the team on a wild ghost chase to catch a killer.

Premiere Date: Tuesday, December 5, 2023      CBS     8pm   

I think this was the best episode yet. Extras had speaking roles but weren't the big bad. The case was pretty tight. And Mackey had a moment or two of not being an asshole. I actually liked her back tattoo. Surprisingly delicate for a Marine.

• Like 1