Type keyword(s) to search

NCIS: Sydney - General Discussion

secnarf
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

And Mackey had a moment or two of not being an asshole

I was going the other way with her refusal to accept Sergeant Dempsey's counsel that a false confession would not pass the local prosecutor or judge.

12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I am not sure why lawnmower man had the deserter's medal that started him searching for him in the first place. The medal should have been in the Museum.

Exactly!

It makes you wonder if the writers didn't see the plothole or just didn't care, probably figuring the audience wouldn't notice.

Aside from that, I enjoyed this episode very much.  Even Blue didn't annoy this time.

16 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I think this was the best episode yet. Extras had speaking roles but weren't the big bad. The case was pretty tight. And Mackey had a moment or two of not being an asshole. I actually liked her back tattoo. Surprisingly delicate for a Marine.

This episode fell flat for me, I thought it was the worst one yet.  But I think that's because I didn't care for most of the guests.  And the plot didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  U.S. navy guy finds a medal and tries to return it to its owner who was a deserter, but then somehow the museum guy ends up blackmailing the deserter and the navy guy gets killed?

DeShawn says that if the deserter is married to the Australian national then he might not get sent back to the U.S.?  

I really liked the character of Mei and the actress, she was a cool and calm cucumber with great line delivery. 

I didn't like Frank or sympathize with him at all.  Did they even explain why he had an Australian accent?  He was a U.S. deserter but over 50 years, he was hiding as an Australian so grew to affect an accent?  He would have been in his early 20s when he deserted so I would have thought he would never lose his natural American accent and it should have reverted when he realised he didn't have to hide anymore.

The ghost tour guy was a joke.  Loved Rosie saying to Blue, "who is this clown".  Yep.  I didn't like the museum guy either.

So we got a bit of character development on Mackey.  She went out to find three soldiers who wandered off base.  She disobeyed an order to not go find them, she took two guys with her and went anyways.  She rescued the three soldiers but her two teammates got killed.  So is that why she has such a tough exterior?  Also, why turn off the audio, I guess she isn't willing to share with the rest of her NCIS squad?

3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I didn't like Frank or sympathize with him at all.  Did they even explain why he had an Australian accent?  He was a U.S. deserter but over 50 years, he was hiding as an Australian so grew to affect an accent?  He would have been in his early 20s when he deserted so I would have thought he would never lose his natural American accent and it should have reverted when he realised he didn't have to hide anymore.

My brother in law picked up their accent in half of that time and he wasn't an illegal alien trying to hide. There is also an ex US Marine I have heard on a history podcast who has only been there a little over a decade with a stronger accent than our Navy  Cross recipient 

• Like 2

The reality is that none of the actors they've hired to play Americans have done particularly well with their accents, including the regular cast members. 

Are we supposed to think it's cute that Evie took DeShawn's lunch?

Overall I did like the episode, though, probably my favorite so far.

• Like 2

S01.E05: Doggiecino Day Afternoon

GABZP8NXQAAWguz?format=jpg&name=medium

The team races to save one of their own when Doc Roy (William McInnes) and his dog are involved in a hostage situation at their local dog cafe.

Premiere Date: Tuesday, December 12, 2023      CBS     8pm

ncis-sydney-episode-5.jpg

Eleanor Stankiewicz as Sergeant Cath Welsh
Josie Rawson as Louie 

GABZQ0HXgAEHKK2?format=jpg&name=medium

Next New Episode (possibly): January 9, 2024 

I was all prepared to not care about this episode. The old, team member is in a hostage situation, trope. But darn if it didn't pull me in and give me all the feels. The only clunker was JD and that woman in charge. Did we know he was supposed to be married? And now the Doc's personality makes more sense. 

• Like 4

I never thought it made any sense to yell "N.C.I.S." at American civilians and now its being yelled at Australians with guns pointed at them as if they are supposed to make any sense of it.

At least on Los Angeles they often used "federal agent" as someone had sense over on that show

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
21 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I was all prepared to not care about this episode. The old, team member is in a hostage situation, trope. But darn if it didn't pull me in and give me all the feels. The only clunker was JD and that woman in charge. Did we know he was supposed to be married? And now the Doc's personality makes more sense. 

The episode completely failed with me.  I know I was supposed to feel sympathy for the girl, her mom and her dying sister.  But I seriously didn't care about any of them, at all.  I got more and more annoyed as the episode progressed.  Yes it sucks that the family is poor and can't afford the meds.  However, that doesn't give this girl the right to rob a bank and then threaten to blow up innocent people.  Doesn't matter that the gun wasn't loaded or that she thought the vest was a fake.

The Australian lady wanted to kill the girl and save the lives of a dozen innocents.  I can't say I disagree that this seemed like the most prudent course of action.

So the mom is going to prison for concocting the bank heist with Stone.  The girl is going to juvie for her actions.  She committed felony murder with the shooting of the cop, she robbed a bank, she threatened to blow up innocent civilians.  Serious crimes.  JD implied that she wouldn't be there for long if Rosie put in a word for her.  But she's still going to do some time.  Who is going to take care of the sick sister?  I assume there is no father, since we didn't hear anything about one.

• Like 2
On 12/12/2023 at 6:46 PM, Grizzly said:

The only clunker was JD and that woman in charge.

"I didn't ask for NCIS assistance" Or course you didn't, who would?

When they rolled out Sergeant Dempsey as the only experienced hostage negotiator around is when I had the cringe moment. Australia sure is turning over a lot of assets to the US Navy. 

• Like 3

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D., S.W.A.T., NCIS: Sydney, Reacher, La Brea and More!
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH     DECEMBER 19, 2023 
https://tvline.com/lists/chicago-fire-sylvie-matt-proposal-spoilers-severide-return-season-12/ 

Any scoop on NCIS: Sydney‘s last few episodes? –Mel

Spoiler

When I asked series lead Olivia Swann if the Aussie offshoot’s eight-episode season will leave us with any kind of a cliffhanger, she answered that the Jan. 23, 2024 finale “ends in a way that will make you call CBS and tell them to greenlight Season 2!”

Edited by tv echo

This show isn’t the worst thing I’ve ever seen , tho I turn on close captioning.

But why does the forensic expert on these shows always have to be so quirky?

Blue was the absolute worst!  They have seemed to tone her down a bit but she is still very annoying!

• Like 5
(edited)

Amy Reisenbach On CBS Switching To Long-Term Development With No Pilots This Season, Launching 2023-24 Lineup With Super Bowl & ‘NCIS’ Future
By Nellie Andreeva   January 31, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/01/cbs-2024-2025-tv-season-plans-super-bowl-ncis-1235808963/ 

REISENBACH: If the right project comes up, absolutely. We’re thrilled with the success of NCIS: Sydney. I think it’s been wonderful to have these franchise extensions; they’re each its own unique property. NCIS: Origins is really different than any of the other NCIS‘s; it makes me feel so old to say it’s period when it’s set in the 90s, kill me now, right?

It’s a little edgier and grittier than previous NCIS‘s, it’s got a serialized element of it that we’re really excited about. And whereas I would say NCIS: Sydney too really had its own identity, it was very uniquely Australian and told stories that can only be told in Australia, so I feel like they’re both opportunities to gain new audiences while also being true to the DNA and loyal fan base of those shows.

DEADLINE: Can you tease something about more NCIS: Sydney on CBS?

REISENBACH: I feel really positive and there will be news to come soon.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
On 1/22/2024 at 4:05 PM, Packerbrewerbadger said:

But why does the forensic expert on these shows always have to be so quirky?

I’ve been asking myself the same question. First Abby, then Kasie, and now Blue. Is it a prerequisite to being a forensics expert that you have to be an odd duck?

• Like 2