Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Ice, Ice, Maybe

• Start Topic

Like a singed Koala escaping the forest fire flames, these comments are in the order of the episode scenes broadcast…

Picking up at the drunken party where we left off – so much shame reserved for later.

The debris the crew left in the wake of the galley!  Who in their right mind would have eaten anything from there?

The new deckhand – OMG!  “Entertainment Officer” Culver?!  No freaking way!  Completely contrived.  Well, at least the season should be good for a laugh, if nothing else.  Dawg!

What’s this sudden made-up plotline with Harry wanting Margot and his perceived competition with Luke?  More invented crap.

After water is spilled on the table outside:  “Can you save my Chanel bag please?”  I’m disliking these guests already.

“I’m very good looking and a top shagger, but when it comes to food it’s a bit different.”  TM-R seems like a low-rent Rachel so far.  She’s trying, though, I’ll give her that.

“I lost my diamonds!”  Once again an idiot guest doesn’t get that watersports and bling don’t mix.  And yet to get one back later!  Lucky!

Aesha: “There is no way I would ever have called out one of my Chief Stews.”  Well, perhaps you should have.  Laura is on to something – there’s a trend with the guests and the ice, she’s noticed it, while Aesha’s making them ask for it.  Point to Laura.

What will happen next week?  Will Guest Fletcher bleed out?  Will the bogus beach party blow away?  Will the Ice Man Cometh?  Stay tuned, if you can stay frosty.

• Like 5

I distinctly recall Jason telling Culver that if it weren't the last charter he would have fired him for drinking on the job last season. I guess they made up between seasons. Someone last season said Culver has a smile like a Jack-O-Lantern, and now I can't unsee it. Also, I never realized how short he is.

10 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

Aesha: “There is no way I would ever have called out one of my Chief Stews.”  Well, perhaps you should have.  Laura is on to something – there’s a trend with the guests and the ice, she’s noticed it, while Aesha’s making them ask for it.  Point to Laura.

Agreed. I think Aesha was just unable to wrap her head around the idea that these guests would want ice in their wine or chilled red wine. But it said so on the preference sheet and she's been corrected twice now. I could have done without Laura's passive-aggressive "I told you so" but she was right.

On the other hand the broken glass was kind of on Laura. She saw the glass break and she didn't clean it up or tell anyone about it, apparently. Maybe she thought she got it all. Still doesn't excuse Adam's negligence.

I don't think it's a spoiler to speculate who gets fired this season since they showed Jason letting someone go in all the promo spots (although maybe he was just threatening them). Any bets on who it is? Right now I'd guess Adam. He seems like the biggest malcontent of the bunch.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

Ice in the wine?  No. I wouldn't have anticipated that either. There's no accounting for taste. Regardless, Laura can certainly suggest things to supervisor but blatantly criticizing behind her back is always bad form. 

Talk about wasting time, Laura looked no different after spending 1.5 hours getting ready and hogging the shower for over 30 minutes when everyone is trying to get ready was rude. 

I didn't like the Culver the first time so his return is disappointing.

Aesha & Captain Jason were entertaining on WWHL.

• Like 6
(edited)
On 7/24/2023 at 9:24 PM, Tanukisan said:

What will happen next week?  Will Guest Fletcher bleed out?

OMG, you are hilarious.  I didn't really laugh out loud when I read this, but I did shout HAH really loud.  Keep 'em coming, @Tanukisan.  You are tip top.

On 7/25/2023 at 9:21 AM, snarts said:

I didn't like the Culver the first time so his return is disappointing.

Yeah.  Not into the Chief Entertainment Officer and his giant mouth.

Edited by Oosala
Typo
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, snarts said:

Ice in the wine?  No. I wouldn't have anticipated that either.

Except that they had asked for ice during the previous meal, so when Laura asked if they should take an ice bucket with them up to dinner Aesha should have anticipated it. 

17 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

What’s this sudden made-up plotline with Harry wanting Margot and his perceived competition with Luke?  More invented crap.

God help us, we just suffered through an entire season of triangle drama on Sailing Yacht. We don't need more of it here.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

The new deckhand – OMG!  “Entertainment Officer” Culver?!  No freaking way!  Completely contrived. 

It's what he angled for all along. It sure wasn't work ethic (the last time we saw him).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Except that they had asked for ice during the previous meal, so when Laura asked if they should take an ice bucket with them up to dinner Aesha should have anticipated it.

it was on their darn preference sheet that they wanted ice in ALL beverages

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

it was on their darn preference sheet that they wanted ice in ALL beverages

It would be on mine too.  The colder the better.  As to wine. I have dined with a physician who always puts ice in her wine.  I have too on occasion.  In fact, I really don't care for hot beverages.  Hate coffee.

Aesha and the captain were quite salty on WWHL.  Hilarious.  And there is no love lost between her and Laura.

• Useful 1
39 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

It would be on mine too.  The colder the better.  As to wine. I have dined with a physician who always puts ice in her wine.  I have too on occasion.  In fact, I really don't care for hot beverages.  Hate coffee.

Aesha and the captain were quite salty on WWHL.  Hilarious.  And there is no love lost between her and Laura.

I can’t say I blame her… I can’t stand Laura. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

When I saw Culver come back onboard, I couldn't remember his name, but did remember "Keith Stone!"  He's up for anything, so it should be a good help for Aesha.  

I think it would be shocking to see ice in fine wine.  I live here in the wine country, and generally reds are not chilled.  Fine wines are not diluted with ice, though people do use cheaper wines in their spritzers and other beverages.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I knew the new deck hand would be a handful when he used all caps and exclamation marks on every sentence.

And they just happened to have Culver handy so that was BS.

Yeah Laura is casting shade at Aesha but in the talking heads.  So is she undermining Aesha to Margot and other crew or only doing it in the THs, where she could be prodded by producers?

There isn't any sign yet that she's coming for Aesha's job so could be fake drama.

In any event, all this because these guests wanted ice in their wine?  Come on do better than that if you're going to stir up drama between the cast.

I could see if there was another love triangle, which as we've seen from BDSY is also contrived.  But Margot has put Harry in the friend zone already so there's not much triangle to concoct.

Yet apparently in previews, Luke and Laura make up so maybe Margot will figure out he isn't worth it.  Then again, she said she only dates assholes.

• Like 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, aghst said:

Luke and Laura

There's a blast from the past.

I know why production chose this old Japanese tanker. It won't matter if the inept crew destroys it. Their lack of experience is notable.

I noticed green-screened images in these episodes. Has BD been doing this all along? Maybe I'm noticing because they are so obvious now.

Aesha made a rare mistake in telling the guests "I would never put ice in a red." Don't correct the guests!

I guess production's schtick for Aesha is at least one obnoxious crew member to torment her each season.

The traditional can-can is extremely difficult - non-stop hopping, high kicks that reach a dancer's nose, and jump-splits at the end. All at a frantic pace.

The chef is too try-hard with her continuous lecherous comments about Captain.

Toothy Culver is tiresome. He's only there to perform and eat. I noticed as the deck crew was scrambling to handle lines, he darted about the deck, waving his arms, pretending to help. Like I used to do when they made me play basketball in middle school.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1

This boat is garbage, it's like they can't find anyplace but the little table outside the main salon to film. And the main dining room doesn't have a single window, what a shitty place to eat on your maritime vacation, you can't even see the water. And the kitchen is literally within earshot! It must feel cramped as hell in that dining room. 

That bosun is a real problem for me. His approach to women is troubling. 

• Like 7

I like ice in my white wine. AT HOME.  I would never dream of asking for ice from a professional establishment. You want an icy drink, order a cocktail!

I really wanted to like him, but I am so annoyed with the guy who thinks calling a woman “miss” is mad flirting.  Harry?  He doesn’t have the game he thinks he does. 

I know a few people like Laura.  Everything is all about her.  She is always right and she deserves to be waited for. I hope it’s her that gets the boot.

Luke has never heard of the concept of consent.  I hope the viewers shaming him sinks in.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

With the end of the pandemic, maybe the great yachts are booked solid with real customers and don't need BD's money any more.

I can see that happening, some boat owners don't want their yacht associated with the BD brand of crappy guests?

• Like 4
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I noticed green-screened images in these episodes. Has BD been doing this all along? Maybe I'm noticing because they are so obvious now.

They've always used green screen behind the crew when they're doing their THs for production.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

That bosun is a real problem for me. His approach to women is troubling.

3 hours ago, NaughtyKitty said:

Luke has never heard of the concept of consent.  I hope the viewers shaming him sinks in.

Yeah, there was nothing sexy about that contrived eyelash kiss.  It was so aggressive.  Then Luke "apologizes" to Margot and says "I don't feel bad about it," and in the talking head, "she f--king loved it."  What a prick.  And he sucks as a bosun, too.  He's made at least two mistakes that Jason has noticed.  For such a confident/cocky person, he sure screws up a lot.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:
5 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

They've always used green screen behind the crew when they're doing their THs for production

I'm with @pasdetrois on this.  If they've always been using green screen, they were doing a much better job of it before.  There's one instance in particular that was VERY clearly green-screened to the point where I noticed it immediately and thought to myself WTH.  I'm not really paying attention to production values while watching these shows, but I noticed this one.

• Like 3

I laughed when that guest said "I'm getting a Polar Express vibe from this ship" LOL.  That ship has been around since the mid seventies. It was originally a cold water expedition vessel. They sunk a huge amount of money into a refurb for it to enter the rental yacht market but as the saying goes, "you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear."

Speaking of a sows ear, Luke is quickly reminding me of Gary from this last season of BDSY. What an arrogant, aggressive male. If he acts that way to Margot on the first day, what's he going to be like in a month?  If I were Margot I wouldn't take any drinks from him. Hope she wises up soon.

Chef Tsarina said she's basically "good looking and a great shagger." Who says this about themselves? I admit to enjoying seeing her in a bra and panties, but it's not "just like a bikini". It's underwear. I'm sure she wants to be a reality TV  or Instagram  star and catching her in her "unmentionables" is all part of the plan.

Now Culver is back. Ugh. I wasn't really crazy about him before. Someone said his smile reminds them of a jack o lantern. All I see is Chicklets. 

Chick4523y.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
23 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

Now Culver is back. Ugh. I wasn't really crazy about him before. Someone said his smile reminds them of a jack o lantern.

I didn't watch last season, but I get a Jim Carrey vibe. Jim Carrey, jack o lantern, yeah, same general vibe 

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

He was a bit aggro wasn't he. Sorry but I can hear/read the word aggressive without thinking of Glenn's use of the hipster word "Aggro."

Hipster word???????????????? I've known it be used for at least 50 years and if it's a hipster word then that must make me hip. 😄

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 4

He was a bit aggro wasn't he. Sorry but I can hear/read the word aggressive without thinking of Glenn's use of the hipster word "Aggro."

I also wanted to comment on the red wine. Your mention of hipster words jogged my memory. These people called themselves "foodies". Remember that whiny chef  a few seasons back that said "if they call themselves foodies, they usually arent". I think he was right.

Now there's nothing wrong with using ice in a regular house bottle of red wine if you enjoy it but as someone else mentioned, if  a real wine aficionado shelled out the cash for a vintage bottle of wine they'd never use ice in it, or chill it for that matter. It would dilute the finish flavor.  Basically ruin it. I'm not sure what they were drinking as I don't care for any wine, but if they were trying to show their "foodie prowess" I think they missed the mark. 😀

• Like 1
  • Applause 8
17 hours ago, aghst said:

I knew the new deck hand would be a handful when he used all caps and exclamation marks on every sentence.

And they just happened to have Culver handy so that was BS.

Do you listen to Watch What Crappens, a podcast that reviews Below Deck, amongst others?  They were commenting on this exact thing!  So funny!  Their review for the first episode had me in stitches.

BTW...I'm on several message boards and on one of them a poster Wrote Every Sentence Like This.  Kind Of Like He Was Talking In Titles.  So crazy! (and not easy!)

5 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Do you listen to Watch What Crappens, a podcast that reviews Below Deck, amongst others?  They were commenting on this exact thing!  So funny!  Their review for the first episode had me in stitches.

BTW...I'm on several message boards and on one of them a poster Wrote Every Sentence Like This.  Kind Of Like He Was Talking In Titles.  So crazy! (and not easy!)

No, don't listen to the podcast.

But Jason was texting normally and Culver was using all caps as well as exclamation marks.

Would be a weird thing if this new deckhand hadn't even met Jason but now it makes sense.

9 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Chef Tsarina said she's basically "good looking and a great shagger." Who says this about themselves? I admit to enjoying seeing her in a bra and panties, but it's not "just like a bikini". It's underwear. I'm sure she wants to be a reality TV  or Instagram  star and catching her in her "unmentionables" is all part of the plan.

She also said she had a great ass or something like that.

Didn't look bad in undies.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Shrek said:

Hipster word???????????????? I've known it be used for at least 50 years and if it's a hipster word then that must make me hip. 😄

I have until Glenn said it never heard that word in my life! I assumed it was part of the "new speak," so to say.  I keep thinking of that Doris Day movie, With Six You Get Egg Roll, lol. Sorry if I insulted you.

12 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

These people called themselves "foodies". Remember that whiny chef  a few seasons back that said "if they call themselves foodies, they usually arent". I think he was right.

Same with the people that announce how crazy they are...they usually are not.

Ice in wine is fine on your deck at home but one would hope on a yacht the wines are at the proper temps but on the other hand if I were shelling out big bucks I would have my wine any way I wanted it!

• Like 1

I have until Glenn said it never heard that word in my life! I assumed it was part of the "new speak," so to say.  I keep thinking of that Doris Day movie, With Six You Get Egg Roll, lol. Sorry if I insulted you.

It's a mainly British word but he's Canadian so they may use it as well.

Not insulted at all, hence the smiley, felt hip for a few minutes there.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Speaking of a sows ear, Luke is quickly reminding me of Gary from this last season of BDSY. What an arrogant, aggressive male.

The problem is that production is clearly prodding the crew and encouraging this type of behavior. You can tell from the THs they're being asked who they like, what kind of people they date, if they've kissed so-and-so, etc. It probably becomes an expectation as part of their job. Can't you just see them asking Luke "So, you like Margot? Are you going to try to kiss her tonight? You should totally do that, it would be great for the show!" It's hard to know how much of this behavior is in their actual nature and how much is prompted.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Now there's nothing wrong with using ice in a regular house bottle of red wine if you enjoy it but as someone else mentioned, if  a real wine aficionado shelled out the cash for a vintage bottle of wine they'd never use ice in it, or chill it for that matter. It would dilute the finish flavor.  Basically ruin it. I'm not sure what they were drinking as I don't care for any wine, but if they were trying to show their "foodie prowess" I think they missed the mark. 😀

The guests had asked for wines to be paired with the food.  If you do that, you don't want to alter the taste of the wine.  I've had overchilled red wine once and it tasted like lighter fluid.  Throw all the ice cubes you want in the whites and rose's, but not good red wine!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 7/25/2023 at 9:59 PM, howiveaddict said:

And there is no love lost between her and Laura.

My mother was born in Latvia and came to the US right after WWII. I am not amused by her constant talking down of the country (not that I've been there). But it seems rather small-minded; Riga is not a small city, and my impression is (from cousins in the state department that have worked in the Baltic states) that they are thoroughly modern these days. She seems overly impressed with herself.

• Like 8
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It's hard to know how much of this behavior is in their actual nature and how much is prompted.

I saw a contract/non disclosure agreement from a popular reality show from a few years back and it was unbelivably long (20-30 pages) and complicated. The jist of it was "one wrong move and you get no money and sued, and we will win"

• Useful 1

Just watched the episodes 2 and 3 (with a lot of FFW).
Below Deck Down Under is like  the poor relative of the franchise:
-the boats look miserable
-the food is from bad (last year) to "meh" this year (Rachel's food looks like 4 Michelen stars comparing)
-even the locations look miserable, although I am not sure if it is the locations or if they are just poorly filmed, probably the latter.

They should rename it BD Pacific and do Tahiti and Bora Bora or something. If they manage to shoot them right 😁

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Zaffy said:

-the food is from bad (last year) to "meh" this year (Rachel's food looks like 4 Michelen stars comparing

My question was why did the chef decide on Asian food for the wine pairing menu? Continental American, Italian or French would have highlighted the wine much better.

Is Laura trying to be the Bugsy of the season, waiting her turn to be chief stew when Jason is done with Aesha for not having ice ready for the guests.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

My question was why did the chef decide on Asian food for the wine pairing menu? Continental American, Italian or French would have highlighted the wine much better.

I

Genuine question.

What is Continental American? I've heard of a Continental breakfast (usually a selection of meats & pastries) and obviously American food but never the two put together & I like to learn new things sometimes. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, pasdetrois said:

I've heard of Continental American - refers to the continent of North America.

Interesting, never heard of it described like that. So Mexican, Canadian, etc. ?

(edited)
17 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Genuine question.

What is Continental American? I've heard of a Continental breakfast (usually a selection of meats & pastries) and obviously American food but never the two put together & I like to learn new things sometimes. 

It's usually a blend of French, Italian, Spanish foods, added spices but not heavily ethnic, more like Americanized versions of European dishes, sort of like a chef's take on some ethnic food, just a blend of other cultural foods, maybe the verbage should have fusion food.  

I had no idea this would be such a hot button of controversy.

Edited by Baltimore Betty
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Shrek said:

We're all learning here,

Yeah, but because of each other, rather than the show itself.  🙂

Much of the informative chat here is based on something that flashed on the screen for a couple of seconds, as opposed to the drunken revelry that goes on... and on... and on.  🙂

• Like 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Is Laura trying to be the Bugsy of the season, waiting her turn to be chief stew when Jason is done with Aesha for not having ice ready for the guests.

Did Laura volunteer in her TH how she would have handled it if she were Chief Stew or did the producer ask her how she would have handled it if she were Chief Stew?

On 7/28/2023 at 10:48 AM, WhiskeyVictor said:

Last time I saw a maw like that it was chewing on trees to make a dam.

You almost made me do a spit take with my martini. 😆

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
On 7/26/2023 at 4:19 PM, dleighg said:

I didn't watch last season, but I get a Jim Carrey vibe. Jim Carrey, jack o lantern, yeah, same general vibe 

I couldn't figure out why Culver's looks annoyed me. He seems fun and like a decent guy.  Then I realized...he looks like Jim Bob Duggar to me! 

• Mind Blown 1