Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Long Distance Medium

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

but if someone lumped residents of three separate Asian counties together that would be viewed as ignorant.

you mean like Ella? 

3 hours ago, Stuckathome said:

That will be the next "reveal"---Mary has an OF pages. 

That must have been what she meant by "modeling" 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
On 7/18/2023 at 1:41 AM, magemaud said:

Kirsten and Julio are a pretty boring couple so far but all I can think of is: 

image.png.889fa94cc30a9c4510dd32a0c82217e0.png

Wait wait did I misunderstand when she said she joked with the customs agent about bringing a suitcase full of drugs in for her boyfriend??? THAT’s why they stopped her and took her passport?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

A lot of Kenny and Armando’s issues could be solved if he bothered to learn Spanish. At least enough to be conversant. I’m tired of his gringo bs. 

Yes isn’t dyslexic reading so he could take audio or video courses?  Or a conversational class.  He just doesn’t want to.

15 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

Holly and her eyes….is she wasted?  She can’t keep them open. 

She claimed no food or sleep for 38 hours.

• Like 4

When Kenny and Armando were walking a la tienda, they passed a food cart making tortillas that were grey.  Does anyone know what kind of tortillas they were?  I've never seen grey and all I can find online are flour tortillas dyed with black food dye. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Wait wait did I misunderstand when she said she joked with the customs agent about bringing a suitcase full of drugs in for her boyfriend??? THAT’s why they stopped her and took her passport?

I wasn't paying close attention (I find them kind of dull) but I thought she said something like "They acted like I brought a suitcase full of drugs..." If she actually said something flippant like that to a Customs agent she should have known better. Those guys' job is NOT to take any kind of remarks like that as a joke. She's probably the type who thinks flirting with a cop would get her out of a ticket because she's so pretty. 

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I wasn't paying close attention (I find them kind of dull) but I thought she said something like "They acted like I brought a suitcase full of drugs..." If she actually said something flippant like that to a Customs agent she should have known better. Those guys' job is NOT to take any kind of remarks like that as a joke. She's probably the type who thinks flirting with a cop would get her out of a ticket because she's so pretty. 

Yeah I didn’t know if she was joking to Julio or she actually said that. I will go back and watch but I think she actually said that, which is why she was pulled to the side for extra searching. But I could be wrong. 

• Useful 1

No, Pretty Little Kirsten couldn't possibly understand why she was being questioned. "They asked if my boyfriend asked me to bring anything, like they thought I had a suitcase full of drugs."  Why would they possibly be suspicious of a pretty young woman coming to see essentially a stranger?  

• LOL 4
2 minutes ago, Quof said:

"They asked if my boyfriend asked me to bring anything, like they thought I had a suitcase full of drugs."

It's funny because when she said it, and the look her gave her, for a second, I thought---so maybe THAT is Julio's game That is how a part time shitty DJ and SRO can afford to jet set around the world. Nothing surprises me anymore. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Quof said:

No, Pretty Little Kirsten couldn't possibly understand why she was being questioned. "They asked if my boyfriend asked me to bring anything, like they thought I had a suitcase full of drugs."  Why would they possibly be suspicious of a pretty young woman coming to see essentially a stranger?  

Oh thank you for clearing that up. 

• Like 1
On 7/18/2023 at 12:45 PM, MrBuhBye said:

Don’t they always say to look at your woman’s mother to see your future?  Yikes for Wayne.

This was exactly what I was thinking. 

• Like 4
(edited)

TJ the Rajasthani is the worst voice-over performer in the history of Ever! I mute him totally. 

What's-Her-Name going to South Africa with her mother. There's an acorn that fell far from the tree! Hoo, boy. But Mom is 100% right to be worried about S. A. crime. Wayne is two incisors away from being truly handsome. 

Kenny and Armando. WTH is the bug up Kenny's butt that imagines life in Mexico  City, Smog Central, would be better than the one they have now? Is Kenny having a mid-life crisis? 

Brandan. What a jerk. You can have him, Mary, complete with Remote Control. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
15 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

TJ the Rajasthani is the worst voice-over performer in the history of Ever! I mute him totally. 

What's-Her-Name going to South Africa with her mother. There's an acorn that fell far from the tree! Hoo, boy. But Mom is 100% right to be worried about S. A. crime. Wayne is two incisors away from being truly handsome. 

Kenny and Armando. WTH is the bug up Kenny's butt that imagines life in Mexico  City, Smog Central, would be better than the one they have now? Is Kenny having a mid-life crisis? 

Brandan. What a jerk. You can have him, Mary, complete with Remote Control. 

The people in this cast seem awful.

With Kenny, however, I think he said an issue with home was Hannah’s school is 45 minutes away. I don’t know if there are not closer, decent options. But that is 3 hrs in the car every day with round-trips in the morning and afternoon. That would get old very quickly. (OTOH, I think Armando’s family has been VERY involved in Hannah’s life with his sister and her kids playing prominent roles. For Kenny to manipulate Hannah by showing her only the fun, shiny stuff of living in a city when she does not fully understand crime, etc. is pretty shitty. She already moved away from them. Taking her even farther seems wrong.)  

TJ’s mother seems like a real peach, laughing at her soon-to-be American daughter-in-law for having the temerity to want a white wedding dress. Much is made about the insensitivity of Americans in this franchise but that train runs both ways. I had a friend years ago with a very serious Indian boyfriend. He eventually broke up with her because his plans included one day moving back and he knew she could never be a traditional Indian wife. Seriously took this episode for me to fully realize why he did that. lol  She insisted she could but he knew better. 

If my son was moving off with Mary, I would do whatever I could do to stop him. Because if a young man treated a young woman the way Mary treats Brandan, every alarm bell would be ringing that this guy is manipulative and abusive.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

Brandan is looking at his situation waaaay differently from our perspective (I know---NS, S!). He has reiterated that he doesn't want his mother or sister "telling him what he can or cannot do." So he weirdly sees Mary as offering him his big chance to be independent!

IOW, he wants the freedom to choose his Lady Boss. 😆 🤪📲

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
4 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Brandan is looking at his situation waaaay differently from our perspective (I know---NS, S!). He has reiterated that he doesn't want his mother or sister "telling him what he can or cannot do." So he weirdly sees Mary as offering him his big chance to be independent!

IOW, he wants the freedom to choose his Lady Boss. 😆 🤪📲

Yes - while literally tethered to her 24/7. 

• Like 1

Kimberly did not seem that bad until she wigged out about the apartment. It was like a switch went off. For someone who lived in India for a year without running water, it seems like she would be more realistic about building standards in developing countries. I agree with her about the “baseboards” - why not finish them out? But if you only have the money to half-ass and cobble together an apartment, what do you expect? Their homes will not look like they were done by Chip and Joanna. 

Both she and TJ and are not very likable. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, lilmarysunshine said:

Kimberly did not seem that bad until she wigged out about the apartment. It was like a switch went off. For someone who lived in India for a year without running water, it seems like she would be more realistic about building standards in developing countries. I agree with her about the “baseboards” - why not finish them out? But if you only have the money to half-ass and cobble together an apartment, what do you expect? Their homes will not look like they were done by Chip and Joanna. 

Both she and TJ and are not very likable. 

It is understanding for her to be upset. There were flaws. Maybe she was just worn out after the long trip? Honestly, the place was better than I expected. There are people in India (and other places) who would be thrilled with the place. 

• Like 2
On 7/18/2023 at 6:44 PM, Quof said:

But we don't.  

signed, all Canadians

Yeah, I don't blame you.

I'm wondering whether I could get away with calling myself Canadian. Maybe start by pronouncing "out" and "about" the way Canadians do, and work an "eh" or two into conversations?

It might work. 😉

I would like Mary to go back to COLLEGE and finish her studies. The fact that she quit because of brandon made me really cross - how many other girls in the Philippines would love to have such an education but do not get the opportunity?

I'm a brit living in the Netherlands for years (and episodes run several weeks or months behind here so I'm always late with commenting), I'm quite looking forward to seeing what the producers decided to show of the country. I never heard of the little town Kirsten is from, had to look it up on a map... And yes, re someone's comment above, you can "bike everywhere" and still own a car.... the car is for long distance travel. Noone is going to bike to their ski vacation in Austria. 

Kristen has nice blonde shiny hair and dresses in a way to attract attention. Her face is otherwise very average looking.  My dutch friend has the same blonde hair and said she always gets interrogated at airports because apparently she has the appearance/style of a drug smuggler, so i wasn't surprised the same happened with Kristen.

• Like 1
On 8/21/2023 at 4:08 AM, Quof said:

Canadians do not say "out" or "about" in a strange or unique way.  And we only say "eh" when mocking the stereotypes about us. 

I have heard oot and aboot which is not how they are pronounced most places.  I think the far northern central US does this too.

On 8/26/2023 at 8:29 AM, Squishy Tomato said:

Her face is otherwise very average looking

I was thinking this too.

• Like 1
On 8/21/2023 at 2:08 AM, Quof said:

Canadians do not say "out" or "about" in a strange or unique way.  And we only say "eh" when mocking the stereotypes about us. 

Only the Scottish side of Canada then?