Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia (US) Live Feed Discussion

So I was right. The interactive viewer vote is a new addition. I tried voting Bri out but since I don't have a passport, denied. Oh well.

This show will be off the air in the next few weeks anyway, despite all the desperate tactics to stave off the plummeting viewership.

Just found this--hope its accurate!

Fox is making a major change to the format of its ambitious reality experiment Utopia. EW has learned exclusively that soon the show’s castmates will start voting each other out—and pick new members to join their fledgling society.

The decision represents a twist in the series, which launched as a rather unique format for a broadcast network reality show in that there was no competition element, elimination ceremony, or grand prize (all ways that producers traditionally boost the stakes of a reality show). But Utopia has struggled in the ratings during its first four weeks on the air. Though producers have previously maintained that cast changes would likely happen along the way, only within the last week has the new format been decided. Fox hopes the changes will heighten the show’s on-camera action without disrupting Utopia’s central premise of showcasing a diverse group trying to build a perfect society in a remote location.

Here is specifically how the format change will work: Next week, the current cast of 15 pioneers will select two candidates for exile, plus Utopiatv.com passport members can choose a third. The Utopians will then decide which of the three candidates will be asked to pack their crate and leave. Two new potential Utopians will arrive at the camp and spend several days vying for the open spot. Then the established cast will decide which new candidate will become a full-fledged member of their society.

How often the cast will vote a cast member out has yet to be determined. Unlike CBS’ Big Brother or Survivor, the vote-out is not expected to be weekly event. The producers currently believe the cast shake-up will be held monthly, though that could change depending how viewers respond.

If this is "new" how is it the inmates have talking about "voting" someone out for weeks now?

If they want to improve ratings, how about show the TV audience what is actually happening (like Bri being cruel to the animals or Aaron starving Bella and Nikki) - show some of the struggle.  Then again, this show is so poorly cast that I don't think there's any hope for improvement (unless everyone not named Red, Josh, and maybe Hex are tossed out and a new crew brought in). 

• Love 3

If this is "new" how is it the inmates have talking about "voting" someone out for weeks now?

The new part is the "audience" participation. Initially three candidates were supposed to be nominated by the Idiotopians for banishment, and then they'd vote to select one. Now they select two nominees and those who have paid for a passport can select one.

• Love 1

Still now feeds on the cow, but someone says she's "walking it off."  Bella asks Dede how much longer she'll be using something and says she'll be coming back in a few minutes then.

Rob is talking about how much shipping costs are to ship something.

So many people are back in the house: Amanda, Mike, Dede, Josh, Ernesto, Bella, Kristen.

Red is still with the cows trying to make nice to Betsy the cow.  (Is this the same guy that wants to shoot every animal that moves?)

Chris, and Nikkie, are with the calf.  He talks about how he never realized about how cow's milk is harvested.  He never thought about the eggs from the chickens.  Nikkie isn't trying to steer him into vegetarianism, she's sticking to how the cow hasn't passed the placenta yet, trying to compare it to what happen in a woman vs a cow.  She's wondering if she should contact the vet.  Taylor shows up and says the vet has been contacted. 

Bri says that the placenta's being passed, and Nikkie wants to know if she could see it.  (I know it sounds weird, but when I had my kids, I wanted to see it too.  Didn't know what one looked like, it was the bridge between me and my kids and I just wanted to see it.)

• Love 4

Ideally the baby nursing would produce hormones that would help the uterus contract back down in size, expell the afterbirth, and limit the bleeding. The cow is already stressed because her baby is missing.  In my Utopia, babies wouldn't be ripped from their mothers as soon as they were born.

• Love 11

these people are nuts to even consider bottle feeding that calf.

they can barely keep the cows fed. (and that should be easy)

let it nurse.

trade the cow and calf for a different cow and some sacks of feed.

• Love 1

If you want to vote for eviction of a Utopian, go to www.utopiatv.com and sign up.  It costs nothing.  I haven't paid for the premium feeds, and I voted this morning.  For signing up, you get live access to feeds 1&2, and voting rights.  I don't know if that will change in the future, but that's what's going on now.

• Love 5

Nikki called the vets--they are about 30 minutes away.  Vets said the calf was born a little early, they are anxious to get there and do an exam.  Chris hasn't left the calf's side, he is bonding with it.   Bella was the one who took it upon herself to let Honey out in the pasture, against Red's advice to keep her in the pen so she couldn't lie down.  Everything is much calmer now, Honey has been eating and drinking water.  Uh-oh, Honey is down again.  Red is yelling for help in getting her back up.  Nikki asked Bri to exam Honey again but Bri said she already did and Honey looked fine.  Bri had the nerve to say that she has been working hard and Red has just been standing around!  Back at the house, Rob, Aaron and Mike are discussing who should be voted out.  Aaron said Red and Bri are "neck and neck" to him but he is giving a slight edge to Bri because she is lazy and messy.  He has caught her taking the communal sugar and peanut butter late at night even though she has her own stash of each that she isn't using.  Rob said if Red stays he is going home because he doesn't need this aggravation.  I have to say that Rob has been a disappointment to me--I had high hopes of him being the good guy.  For some reason, he just will not give Red any props for the work he has done today.

• Love 4

Dear Lord--Honey has finally expelled the placenta and Mike is running out there with his plate and a fork to eat it.  Yes, that's what I said, to eat it.  

ETA:  I have been planning to vote Aaron out until today--my vote is firmly set for Bri.  

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 4

Rob just told Bri she needs to "sell herself to the others" so she won't be voted off.  Bri said she's going to tell people she can make ceramics to sell, "I'm really good at hand molding." (Yeah, so we've heard--heehee.)  She said she can make ceramic flutes in the shape of animals--"you just blow in their a$$es."  Rob thinks this is "so cool."  Out in the pasture, Hex is talking trash about Josh because he didn't help with the cows.  Josh and Ernesto are playing chess in the house and didn't come out to help get Honey back on her feet.  Per Hex "He has a really bad attitude lately."  Josh is the least of their worries, at least he builds useful things and he's productive.  I hope she doesn't waste a vote on Josh just yet. 

• Love 4

ETA:  I have been planning to vote Aaron out until today--my vote is firmly set for Bri.  

Mine too - unfortunately when I try to register I just get the spinning wheel and nothing happens.  So what happens if the inmates vote for the same individual as the populace?  Are they told who the public voted for first and then they have to come up with two more?

Rob just told Bri she needs to "sell herself to the others" so she won't be voted off.  Bri said she's going to tell people she can make ceramics to sell, "I'm really good at hand molding." (Yeah, so we've heard--heehee.)  She said she can make ceramic flutes in the shape of animals--"you just blow in their a$$es."  Rob thinks this is "so cool."  Out in the pasture, Hex is talking trash about Josh because he didn't help with the cows.  Josh and Ernesto are playing chess in the house and didn't come out to help get Honey back on her feet.  Per Hex "He has a really bad attitude lately."  Josh is the least of their worries, at least he builds useful things and he's productive.  I hope she doesn't waste a vote on Josh just yet. 

Sheesh, pick on the only guy who (other than the first day) who has been nothing but helpful, patient, and productive. 

And I now officially want him gone first.  

My buh-bye is are Bri, Aaron, and then Mike.  Kristen might be tolerable for a bit once separated from Aaron.

• Love 3

Don't know oakgoblinfly--I don't think the producers have thought that far ahead yet!  lol

Rob has just convinced Bella that she needs to vote for Red to leave--he really worked Bella's "he bullied me" angle.  I'm getting really mad at Rob. 

• Love 5

Mine too - unfortunately when I try to register I just get the spinning wheel and nothing happens.  So what happens if the inmates vote for the same individual as the populace?  Are they told who the public voted for first and then they have to come up with two more?

Sheesh, pick on the only guy who (other than the first day) who has been nothing but helpful, patient, and productive. 

My buh-bye is Bri, Aaron, and then Mike.  Kristen might be tolerable for a bit once separated from Aaron.

Don't know oakgoblinfly--I don't think the producers have thought that far ahead yet!  lol

Rob has just convinced Bella that she needs to vote for Red to leave--he really worked Bella's "he bullied me" angle.  I'm getting really mad at Rob. 

I cannot believe the stupidity of these people ... Red, even with his faults, his the least of their problems.  The guy made a fuss about his food (and frankly I don't blame him) yet once he was given what he needs he's been extremely helpful.  Sure, he's not Mr. Social Butterfly - yet he does have quite a lovely relationship with the cows, works hard in the barn, and has shown great one-on-one interaction.

If these dummies vote out Red and/or Josh I hope the cows are taken away from them and that the roof begins to leak. 

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 5
Hex is talking trash about Josh because he didn't help with the cows.

Weren't there already several people out there "helping" with the cows?  How many people did she think they needed?  

Rob has just convinced Bella that she needs to vote for Red to leave--he really worked Bella's "he bullied me" angle.  I'm getting really mad at Rob.

What's his beef with Red anyway?  I know Red can be volatile, but most of the time he seems like one of the more reliable ones.  

My buh-bye is are Bri, Aaron, and then Mike.

I certainly won't complain if Bri or Aaron are gone first.  Right now, I want Mike gone first because he seems to be more of a deliberate shit-stirrer and has a cruel streak that I hate.

Edited by ElleryAnne
  • Love 1

Hex is upset with Josh because he wouldn't come and help get Honey up on her feet when they needed strong men to lift her.  

I don't know what Rob's beef is with Red--he seems so tolerant all of the other's shortcomings.  Something happened between the two but I missed it.

This is what I've read on the live feed chats about some things Bri said late last night:

"We should rip Bella's eyeballs out and shove them down her throat."  

"I could stick each Utopian's jugular with a tack and watch their blood drain."  

Lovely little girl, isn't she?

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 6
This is what I've read on the live feed chats about some things Bri said late last night:

Well, damn.  Now I'm back to wanting her gone first.  Must these people compete so hard for Most Despicable Utopian?

• Love 5

What's his beef with Red anyway?  I know Red can be volatile, but most of the time he seems like one of the more reliable ones.  

Amazing what happens when a person is properly fed and given a little respect - imagine what would happen if Nikki and/or Bella were given this same simple courtesy (granted Bella would still be a nutter, but I think she'd be tolerable). 

Lovely little girl, isn't she?

And no one is calling her out on this?  How is this okay with anybody?

• Love 6

Hex is upset with Josh because he wouldn't come and help get Honey up on her feet when they needed strong men to lift her.  

Did anyone specifically ask Josh (and why not the ire at Ernesto since he was with Josh at the time) to help, did someone explain the situation or did they just yell and run around like a bunch of lunatics?

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 2

I've decided the problem is that we can only vote out people.  We need to be able to vote out the animals and get them to safety.  The Utopians can deal with each other any way they want then.  Too bad Jon Kroll won't be open to that idea.

• Love 3

Haha!  How about "Dys-dopia!"  

Did anyone specifically ask Josh (and why not the ire at Ernesto since he was with Josh at the time) to help, did someone explain the situation or did they just yell and run around like a bunch of lunatics?

Yep, that's pretty much what they did!

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 2

I didn't hear it myself but apparently she was talking with Chris late last night and people on the live feed chat heard it.

And he didn't tell her that this kind of talk is unacceptable?  I don't care how much I missed sex, I wouldn't want to have it with a sociopath/psychopath - I'd be afraid that she might stab or bite off something at the most inopportune moment. 

• Love 2

The vets have arrived!

Vets said it was ok for Honey to lie down as long as she could get up on her own.  Nikki told the vets that Bri said Honey wasn't "oxygenated."  Vet said "I disagree with that.  We were watching everything the whole way down here."  

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 5

I started out watching the show, then quickly became obsessed with these live feed recaps! I  only watch the show now to see how much heavy editing is going on. It's unbelievable the difference!

Sorry if I missed it, can someone explain why they have to keep the mother and calf separate?

• Love 2

Sorry if I missed it, can someone explain why they have to keep the mother and calf separate?

I can't say if they have to, but it's very common in dairy cows to do it this way. In cattle for meat production there are different approaches keeping male calves with the mother for about 6 month and females until they are impregnated themselves.

• Love 2

Vets said everything is ok--Utopians need to decide over the next few weeks if they want to sell only the calf--in which case they would keep the mother and calf separated OR to sell both together--in chich case they can keep the two together.  All of you will LOVE Aaron's attempt at bovine compassion when he said this to the vets;  "A lot of people want to sell the cow and calf together--not so much as a cow thing but as a mother-daughter thing!"  I would love to have seen a close up of the vet's faces at that point!

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 5
All of you will LOVE Aaron's attempt at bovine compassion when he said this to the vets;  "A lot of people want to sell the cow and calf together--not so much as a cow thing but as a mother-daughter thing!"

There's a sound-byte that'll fit nicely into the TV version of Aaron's narrative.

• Love 2

Watching each of these "Dysdopians" has taught me this about their parents:

Some people give their children too much attention

Some people don't give their children enough attention

Some people shouldn't have children

I think if Dedeker would stitch that on pillows, they could make a fortune...........................................................................................................................

• Love 4

I cannot understand for the life of me, comprehend the things that Bri says. (I mean I do understand, because she is seriously so screwed up, but to have no self-awareness or regulation at all, she is just the absolute worst). In my professional opinion, she is a narcissist with sociopathic tendencies. Whoever said that she would be the type of mom who would harm her own child to get attention, is so totally on my wave length (factitious disorder-formerly Munchausen's). The things that she has said about Bella is just unreal. If people actually KNEW what was being said, these things are threats of assault. 

I am glad to hear that the vets WATCH. These idiots never learn. Red has redeemed himself in my eyes. I will vote my fingers into nubs to get rid of Bri or Mike. 

Edited by riverheightsnancy
  • Love 4

I was trying to figure this out as well. At one point, someone said the calf shouldn't drink the colostrum which is in the mother's milk until she gets vaccinated by the vet.

• Love 1

This thread is a roller coaster; who I hate most is switching from comment to comment! But by and large, my Bri hate is fiery like a supernova. Haaate!

She sounds like an undiagnosed psychopath; the famed criminal psychologist Robert Hare, who literally wrote the book on psychopaths (he developed the behavior-based test used around the world in law enforcement and psychiatry), claimed that about 1% of the population is a subclinical psychopath. He goes on to note this doesn't mean the movie stereotype, but more, well... people like Bri. Seemingly charming at first, yet easy manipulators devoid of real compassion. Like that awful, terrible boss you once had, or the truly manipulative and emotionally abusive person your best friend dates, etc. I'm convinced she is a psychopath, and more than anyone else is a danger to the people and animals. Aaron and Mike are complete assholes, but they only really cause trouble with people, and it would be so easily countered if the other cast members simply grew a spine. But Bri is outright dangerous; I would not be shocked if she continues to escalate, and starts poisoning Bella's food or something. They can sugarcoat it, but she's been actively trying to kill these animals ( good call on the Munchausen or whatever it's referred to now), and now she's showing visible glee at the thought of psychologically tormenting a person for... fun? Sweet jesus.

She needs to be gone, asap. Speaking of which, I have no idea how the voting works, and I dont think anyone- including Jon Kroll- does either. The "new twist" sounds like the exact same method with which they started. I see on the website you can vote for anyone, and I originally thought it was either we the public nominate any 3, and the cast must vote on one, or vice versa (they nominate 3, we vote out one). Or possibly that the new arrival gets to vote off one of two group nominees, or... who the hell knows. But this new one seems not only pointless, but designed to insult the audience: the cast nominates two, we nominate one, then the cast votes... and surely ignores the public nominee altogether, because they know who they want gone and won't care whose name we put there.

It's only public engagement if we have a meaningful say: let us either pick the nominees in full, or the bootee in full. I'd prefer the former; I'd love to dump Aaron, Mike, and Bri on the chopping block and watch them and others scramble when they realized the two dozen of us actually watching all freakin' hate those three FAR more than Bella, Red, Nikki, or Josh. Can you imagine the look on their faces if they all went on the block together? I'm getting chills just imagining it...

• Love 6
One of the business ideas Mike and Bri were pushing was an auction to name the calf. Bri announced that they could not slaughter the calf at all since they were going to sell the name and they can't kill something they sold someone the right to name, so sorry, no matter the sex the calf can't be slaughtered.  To their credit none of the others told her what a dipshit statement that was. You don't make a huge decision like that based on 'naming rights'. Idiot.

I hate feeling like I would agree with Bri on anything, but I can kinda see where she's coming from here <phtooey!>.  If you're going to auction off the right to name the calf, it's probably best if you're not going to have the calf slaughtered afterward.  (I get sick just typing that on the same day the little moo is born.)   Some people who would bid on the right to name the little one might be upset if something they named was killed.  And not everyone bidding would assume that that might happen.  Of course, now that the moobie is a girl, it's not really an issue because she'll be a dairy cow.  (I don't especially think the auction-naming is a good idea anyway.)

And yeah, I'll go throw eggs at myself now for defending Bri a little bit.

And I still think she's completely horrible.

Rob has been acting like a dick lately.  I thought I liked him but not anymore.

Yeah, this is a shame.  He seemed like one of the better ones for a while.  But it sounds like he's just got it in his head to hate Red, and now he won't be moved from that position.   I wonder if the more normal of these folks are going to slowly crack under the strain of having to live with each other, instead of figuring out how to make things work.

I'd love to dump Aaron, Mike, and Bri on the chopping block and watch them and others scramble when they realized the two dozen of us actually watching all freakin' hate those three FAR more than Bella, Red, Nikki, or Josh. Can you imagine the look on their faces if they all went on the block together? I'm getting chills just imagining it...

I wonder which of them will be the biggest surprise to the rest of the Topes?  I suspect the other Utopians would be most surprised to find Mike as one of the three, but Bri herself will probably be stunned to find herself on the list.  

• Love 3
It was that she told everyone that they wanted to have a name auction and that under no circumstances could the calf be slaughtered at any point because of her business idea. Not that they should make this decision based on what was needed, but based on her wanting to do the auction.

I see.  I should have realized it would come back to what she wanted herself.  There's the Bri we all know.

• Love 3

I had watched the Josh/Red/Rob animosity this morning and I think Josh and Rob are just completely fed up with Red, who has tons to say and definitely has expertise in animals and tools, etc. BUT the guy took his share of the money out of the Utopia treasury and separated himself, yet he thinks his voice should still be heard. So I can see where those two guys are coming from with Red, who doesn't want to be part of the community but wants to still have his say. Red is one of the most difficult people to deal with on a daily basis. I see him having long conversations complaining about this or that to whoever the leader is that day, but does little to fix it and is a horrible team player. His food issues are a good example. He says he can't eat gluten, but then eats cookies and bread and other foods that are filled with gluten, but then it's everyone else's fault for ordering whatever community food he can't eat.

• Love 5

I agree with what you say about Red, corgi. This morning was a great example - he wanted to voice his opinions on whether the group should order tools or not, but that's not supposed to be his role. His role is to decide whether or not to be part of what they decide - after they decide it. Honestly, that aspect of his separation seems workable, if Red could stand not always having his say about everything.

• Love 2