Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E12: I'm the Bandit

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I’m sure when (if) Jeff addresses her gameplay (that her idol was fake and she wasn’t actually in control) at the reunion show (do they still do that?)

No. They haven't done that since Covid. They do an immediate reveal at the FTC then an after-party with pizza and champagne right there. Which is kind of awful for the losers (the other two in the final three). In interviews after last season, Owen said how awful it was to have to sit there and "celebrate" after he got zero votes.

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-43-finale-owen-knight-interview/

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

Peachy loves the immediate after-show so we are stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

To be honest, I prefer it too because everyone is still in the game's mindset and maybe bitter for things that happened in the game so it's more likely we see them fight or argue immediately after the last tribal council than months later. I used to hate this in the reunions, we the viewers were into the game for having just watched the last episode and the emotions were raw and we wanted to see them get passionate and they were like, oh well it's a game, I had a great time, I am glad I met these people, me and X are best friends now, and I was like"NOoooo!!! You have to be mad!!!! You have to argue, they voted you out or they didn't vote for you to win!!! Come on!!! Bring us some good TV!!!".

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 3
17 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

I was legitimately concerned this was Carolyn's night to leave, a sentence I never thought I'd type at the end of the first episode. I also think Yam Yam might live to regret following his heart instead of his head. (God willing, because I want Carolyn to go all the wayyyyyy.)

Bye Jaime! You were hilarious in your continued misreading of just about everything, and I loved your sunny spirit.

Jaime's confessional about being so excited to talk to Heidi and Carolyn about "getting Tika out" was so on brand for her. Carolyn IS Tika, why would she be invested in breaking up the Tika 3? And I'm pretty sure Jaime didn't have a spellbinding tale to weave to convince Carolyn.

Carolyn's kind of blotting out the sun in terms of airtime, but Carson is really impressing me. His social game is on point, he seems to be able to blend himself into any group. It would be interesting to see who the jury would lean toward if he and Carolyn are both there in F3.

• Like 9

So many double-entendres in the immunity challenge. I don't particularly like Yam Yam, but I appreciated his giggling at Jeff's remark at his "inability to properly handle his ball" or whatever it was.

As soon as I saw the gyroscope reward challenge, I thanked Jebus that I wasn't strapped into that thing because I would have immediately puked, and the aftermath of that would be horrific. Loved Carolyn losing the ball (heh) and almost wandering off into the woods, though.

Is this the most unathletic final five ever? They'd all kick my ass, but there's no obvious challenge beast remaining.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

Most Survivor fans complain when the castaways don't prepare enough--like trying to make fire at home, or taking extra time in the pool to strengthen their swimming skills, or putting on extra pounds.  But if Carson wins, I think there will be some grumbling, admittedly some from me, regarding over preparation.  I mean, he put in the work, he reproduced comps in his back yard, 3D printed puzzles.  He studied up on strategies for all the classic comps, and possible variations.  That's fantastic.  But it also points out how horribly routine and predictable Survivor has become.  I hope the producers have taken note, and instead of slapping a new coat of paint on and slightly rearranging all the props and structures, they'll actually change it up and do something different from obstacle course/untie or dig up puzzle pieces or balls/complete puzzle or get balls through hoops or on platforms or knock over stuff challenges, or variations on endurance challenges.  They don't even have to completely reinvent the wheel, they could recycle some of the older challenges we haven't seen in a while.

However, I think that will take a while before any changes--if they wake up and realize the challenges are BORING now--can happen.  We're stuck with these challenges for the next couple of seasons at least.  Maybe there are more Carsons out there, and the next season will have several of them on and they can leave the rest of the castaways in the dust.

• Like 8
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Carolyn's kind of blotting out the sun in terms of airtime, but Carson is really impressing me. His social game is on point, he seems to be able to blend himself into any group. It would be interesting to see who the jury would lean toward if he and Carolyn are both there in F3.

In my opinion Carolyn is likeable but Carson will impress them in the final jury tribal. He will be really articulate and describe how he practiced the challenges at home, how difficult it was for him to play with people much older than him and how he managed to create multiple alliances who trusted him. I think Carson wins.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
25 minutes ago, Arkay said:

I wish they’d redo a challenge from long, long ago.

I liked YEARS ago when Jeff would give them a multiple choice “test” regarding things they should have observed in their environment and about each other. They had answer blocks that they used to show their answers, a b c d.

That kind of challenge removes the advantage for those who are younger or more physically fit. Level playing ground without climbing, untying, digging, enduring and all the other stuff that is perpetually done in challenges nowadays. 

The multiple-choice option does remove the possibility of Rudy’s glorious “I dunno” responses from OG Survivor, though. 🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
39 minutes ago, Arkay said:

I wish they’d redo a challenge from long, long ago.

I liked YEARS ago when Jeff would give them a multiple choice “test” regarding things they should have observed in their environment and about each other. They had answer blocks that they used to show their answers, a b c d.

That kind of challenge removes the advantage for those who are younger or more physically fit. Level playing ground without climbing, untying, digging, enduring and all the other stuff that is perpetually done in challenges nowadays. 

Yessssss I am all for Story Time With Jeffy.

They also need to bring back the chopping challenge where your alliances are laid bare.

I am amused thinking of a whole tribe of Carsons who lay waste to slide puzzles and dragon puzzles and the ones where you get tiles to make a phrase.

• Like 6
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The editors worked really hard this episode to make us worry Carolyn was getting voted out. Which means they knew they needed to manufacture some suspense because voting out Jamie made the episode a big nothing burger. Does anyone care about Jamie? Clearly the show knows Carolyn is their star. As I have repeatedly reminded everyone, the season opened with a strangely random confessional by Carolyn acting goofy.

So this tribal council was peppered with shots of Carolyn looking worried and making faces and saying "Oh Gosh I'm scared I'm going now! Is this my goodbye speech?" And at one point she even turns to Yam Yam (seemingly) and mouths "What?" while Yam and Carson sit looking straight ahead, stone-faced.

Now clearly that was all misdirect. Yam and Carson did not need to act sketchy like they were about to betray their alliance, or avoid Carolyn's gaze or deliberately fool us into thinking they were about to vote Carolyn out. Because they didn't. It was all smoke and mirrors on the part of the editors. Moreover, the cynic in me suspects they were even prompted to say things during TC to make it sound like they were going to vote out Carolyn. And I hate to think the producers go that far to manufacture drama but it all seems very fishy.

I think a lot of it was in the editing, to retain some suspense. It would have been dull and unusual for the obvious boot to be edited as obviously going out. "Lauren's won immunity, so I guess it's Jaime. Yup." The end.

But I do think a lot of the posture and facial expressions, especially from YamTam were partially genuine, as he knew he should be voting Carolyn out, and largely misdirect - as he and Carson had to sell to the two Ratus they'd told they were voting with, against their ally, that they were regretfully going ahead with the plan to vote Carolyn out, in case they got tipped off they weren't and one of them whipped out an idol to play on Jaime.

7 hours ago, fishcakes said:

The problem for Lauren/Jaime is that they burned their bridges with Heidi. Last week was the second time they voted together against her, and Heidi was pretty adamant that she had no reason to trust them so I'm not surprised that she didn't tell them she has an idol and that the three of them could use it to take out a Tika.

She didn't have to tell them about the idol. All she needed to do was pitch that she wanted to work with them and vote out a Tika, or none of the three had a high chance of reaching the end and who did they want to target. Ratu already believed they had YamYam and Carson on board. Tika have meanwhile told her Jaime. Then at tribal she whips out her idol to play on Jaime, cementing her loyalty to the Ratu women - no need to tell anyone beforehand.

All that's easy to say from one's couch, though...

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I think Carolyn may be the most uncoordinated person I have ever seen. How does she drive a car, type, manage a bank account?  She had no idea how to push that ball. I’m amazed 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
18 minutes ago, MissR2424 said:

I think Carolyn may be the most uncoordinated person I have ever seen. How does she drive a car, type, manage a bank account?  She had no idea how to push that ball. I’m amazed 

Well, she was blindfolded! Jaime as the person inside the ball with the vision of the terrain was poor at directing them.

• Like 10
22 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

If they weren't there, Tribal Council would be constantly deadlocked as people vote along tribal lines.  (Kind of like Congress...  Hmm....)

LOL let's get some hidden immunity idols out here in the wild and set Congress loose to find them!  I like this idea except they kinda already HAVE them in lobbyists and corporate donors. sigh

Does Carolyn have a HII? I thought she did and I was waiting for her to play it and was surprised Heidi played hers.

8 minutes ago, momlyd said:

Does Carolyn have a HII? I thought she did and I was waiting for her to play it and was surprised Heidi played hers.

Carolyn played hers last week for Carson, though ultimately it wasn't needed. Whether or not that idol was re-hidden and found by someone remains to be seen.

On 5/18/2023 at 8:03 PM, violet and green said:

Well, she was blindfolded! Jaime as the person inside the ball with the vision of the terrain was poor at directing them.

Nope!  Jamie wasn’t responsible to tell Carolyn to keep contact with the ball. Every challenge!  She flails and yells. Her body is as crazy as her eyes👀

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
36 minutes ago, MissR2424 said:

Nope!  Jamie wasn’t responsible to tell Carolyn to keep contact with the ball. Every challenge!  She flails and yells. Her body is as crazy as her eyes👀

How can Carolyn keep contact with a ball she can't see that has escaped her?

• Like 2

How can Carolyn keep contact with a ball she can't see that has escaped her?

She can feel it. I mean yeah, they should have stopped right then and there and directed her back to it, but I've never seen this happen with anyone else before and we've seen this challenge countless times. I have to agree with MissR2424's larger point, that at every single challenge Carolyn screams and flails. Whether you find it endearing or annoying, you can't deny it. She's a lot.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

Once again . . . at least this season has been interesting. Sure, we have fodder for future seasons, as well as some for The Challenge, but we got a good mix of finalists. I'd rank them higher if I could remember the deals with Lauren and Heidi. Carolyn has done most of the heavy lifting, and I can't see anyone but her winning. Then again, I thought Gabler was a sacrificial goat last season. In my defense, I think the editors gave up on making his "story" work.

Anyone think the people at Sanctuary ("WHERE GOOD THINGS HAPPEN!!!!") were production aides and not masseuses? I'm surprised Probst didn't make the winners add a person to their reward.

On 5/18/2023 at 7:44 PM, MissR2424 said:

I think it's part of what makes her endearing. She got lost trying to keep up with the ball. Has that ever happened in a challenge with a big ball? I think that would've happened without blindfolds. We just have to forget about that "burp in my mouth!" bit, which . . . really, Carolyn? Really?!?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I think Carolyn would be just exhausting to be around 24/7.  However, there have been many challenges in which people pushed/pulled something throughout a course.  And, various contestants have fallen behind, etc.  But, for whatever reason, the editors just love giving extra time/footage to Carolyn so they emphasized her bewilderment.  It didn't appear that her team was that far behind the other, so, again, I think the editors are just over-emphasizing Carolyn.  It's almost like they are trying to make her into the clown of the season.  She may have developed over-dramatic reactions as a way to be the center of attention; when I'm around someone like that, I just let them have the attention as there's no use to trying to interject, etc.  Most likely they will invite her back, but I would prefer that this be her only season.  She seems nice, but she's exhausting even for one hour a week IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I was glad Caroline made it through. I was worried YamYam/JamJam was going to betray her. I know it happens, but it just doesn't sit right. I'm not sure he can win, to be honest. I think he has gotten himself into a position with Caroline where, if he betrays her, it's not going to look good to the jury. And if she brings him to the final 3, he will look like a goat. I actually like YamYam a lot - but I don't see him winning. Fan favorite maybe.

Carson could win, but he should make some kind of big move to prove he is more than a puzzle guy. If he took out Caroline, would it be negatively perceived? She saved him with her idol.

I'm starting to like Heidi more, and I suppose Lauren is next though I feel like she has gotten a strong edit as a single mom. Maybe she'll keep winning immunity.

Caroline is crazy like a fox and the editors clearly love her. I enjoy watching her on my tv but I don't think I could live with her on an island. If I were on the jury, I'd vote for her because my perception is she kept TIKA together. Maybe that's not valid.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

She may have developed over-dramatic reactions as a way to be the center of attention

I think this is how she normally is because she said in the first episode that her son asked her not to be too crazy all the time.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 5/18/2023 at 1:59 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Jaime's confessional about being so excited to talk to Heidi and Carolyn about "getting Tika out" was so on brand for her. Carolyn IS Tika, why would she be invested in breaking up the Tika 3? And I'm pretty sure Jaime didn't have a spellbinding tale to weave to convince Carolyn.

Yep, Jamie is an absolute idiot.  She's a legend in her own mind.  I'm sure she thinks she was playing a great game, but this example here really highlights how clueless she was about everything.  

I'm thrilled she is gone.  I pretty much hated everything about her - her calling herself the MVP, always talking about how in control of the game she was, and above all, that irritating voice.

She reminded me of Elaine Benes trying to play Survivor, but without the funny appeal of Elaine Benes.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Carolyn’s eye movement reminds me of one if those possessed dolls in the movies. It’s strange. 
I disagree that the game has hinged on Carolyn. The production loves her antics but she has not dominated in any way. 
Where is she getting the eye makeup??

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, MissR2424 said:

Carolyn’s eye movement reminds me of one if those possessed dolls in the movies. It’s strange. 
I disagree that the game has hinged on Carolyn. The production loves her antics but she has not dominated in any way. 
Where is she getting the eye makeup??

There has been no doubt in my mind all season when I look at Carolyn that she had her eyebrows and eyelashes dyed before she came on Survivor.  And her teeth look incredible.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

There has been no doubt in my mind all season when I look at Carolyn that she had her eyebrows and eyelashes dyed before she came on Survivor.  And her teeth look incredible.

But her eyelashes look caked with mascara- not just dyed.