Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

• Start Topic

The new season is here and they are in New Orleans this time.

I’ve only watched the first two episodes, but I gotta say I am still moved by the makeovers. The Frat guys were open to changing, and Stephanie had one of the biggest transformations I’ve seen on the show.

• Like 7
22 hours ago, Renee in CA said:

The new season is here and they are in New Orleans this time.

I’ve only watched the first two episodes, but I gotta say I am still moved by the makeovers. The Frat guys were open to changing, and Stephanie had one of the biggest transformations I’ve seen on the show.

I just watched the first two also. Gosh, I love this show.  Steph's makeover was truly gay gasp worthy!

• Like 4

Watched the first ep last night. Antoni made sandwiches? I am continually unimpressed with him.

That frat house was truly disgusting. And that litter box - ugh. I'm a cat owner, and no cat should have to endure that. 

The makeovers were mostly good, but I hate to break it to some guys that long hair doesn't work on everyone. 

• Like 2

I find myself wondering whether the tears are staged in some of these heart to heart talks with Karamo. Not his, but the clients'. Many times the breakdowns are believable, but sometimes (like the frat guys)  I have my doubts. Guess we'll never know. 

• Like 1

The frat boys was hard to watch and I understand why we didn't see them cleaning much of it. I'm sure the smells and dirt were too much. How in the world did they think they could have anyone over and ask for anything? I know I'm a clutter person sometimes working on it and others in my family. You can have someone declutter but if you don't change how your approach things, it all comes back. I don't want to know how the expresso machines are now and the bathroom. I will just stay in my fantasy bubble. ;  )

I know a lot of what is filmed is true, there was one with a paraplegic and he meets the person who shot him I think, but I researched it after and Karamo insisted on one take I think and no script. Stephanie and her brother could have gone 2 ways but that had to  have been edited a bit but seemed pretty real. I hope he is there for her more. What a house, really lovely. Loved the hair and so far, she kept it. This is Instagram if anyone cares to see. Not married yet they say but hasn't been that long. https://www.instagram.com/p/CsOuS9Ro0X1/

My daughter and I have favorites and sometimes we look up Kenny and the dog or a few others. A couple had things happen later, lost business or things like that but there is no mistaking that they leave an impression on everyone after they leave.

• Like 2

Bobby had some seriously beautiful homes to work with this season.  I feel like he mostly just had to do decorating and didn't have to do the major overhauls he's had to do in previous seasons.  I have real estate envy.  

• Like 2
8 hours ago, cmfran said:

That frat house was truly disgusting. And that litter box - ugh. I'm a cat owner, and no cat should have to endure that. 

The makeovers were mostly good, but I hate to break it to some guys that long hair doesn't work on everyone. 

I could almost smell that house through the screen. Real talk: they should have been embarrassed. The house had gorgeous bones (that came out when Bobby got his hands on it) that were covered in filth.

Jonathan hooked those boys up with product though. Curls were bouncing afterward!

• Like 3

Episode 1

This is my comfort show. I thought it was never coming back it was taking so long to premiere.

I don't love making the intro song different each season. 

Hilarious that Antoni heard lamda and starting chanting "lambs, lambs, lambs"

They've done adulting episodes before and they've done group episodes before but putting it together added something new. I love Karamo but it was good to start the season off with an episode that isn't so heavy but gives them a lot to do simply because there are a lot of people involved. It wasn't emotionally deep but it wasn't insubstantial. 

I'm glad Bobby made them participate in the cleaning given the state of the house and the fact that they're all able-bodied. 

It's so weird to me how young people have decided 70's style is trendy.

Not all the makeovers were great but they worked on the whole.

I doubt the furniture is that expensive but for a quick makeover, Bobby did a good job cheating by using all those dark colors. I'm not sure the living room looks all that inviting as a place to live but it gives a quick impression of an older, more impressive gentlemen's club aesthetic (done very cheaply). The kitchen felt a lot more natural. Preppy is a better aesthetic if you don't have the money for that dark academia/library look.

Are they cutting the part where they sit as a group and watch the video?

• Like 2

Episode 2

I don't think you need to give up your interests but the narrative in this episode was definitely that her fandom ramped up as a coping mechanism in the past three years. Poor Stephanie. I appreciate that they didn't just try to talk her into confidence but gently validated her feelings.

I love how gentle Tan was with Stephanie. He was pragmatic about visible queerness but also so sensitive to her insecurities about fashion. I wish he still had the youtube show. I don't want to watch Next in Fashion. He was already decent in season 1 but I think he's only gotten better at dressing larger bodies and being sensitive to people's needs. The way he dressed her was still casual and comfortable but more put together.

I was unclear on whether Stephanie had a legitimate food aversion or it was just a distaste for vegetables.

I finally started crying when her brother showed up.

This episode did bring up a few weaknesses. Like, there was no discussion about how presenting as butch has its own complications with showing vulnerability. It felt especially noticeable after the frat episode conversation on masculinity. And my assumption is that was a gay bar as they are so few lesbian bars, Stephanie would surely have known where to go without their help. That is also community but I kind of wish they'd helped her connect to other groups if they exist around New Orleans.

I'm not sure Stephanie needed to go blond but it was cute. It could have easily gone wrong but they found a good shade to not clash with her complexion. It's going to be difficult to maintain it though... the second it gets brassy or yellow.

Bobby took advantage of a relatively blank canvas with the new house. It's still that same catalog/showroom style but he got to make some choices. I did find it a little bland but I don't know if Bobby has as much time to talk to them about their preferences as in previous seasons. Whatever the case might be it's a good starting point which will surely get more interesting as they live there and incorporate their own tastes into the decor.

I'm glad watching the video was back this episode. It was pretty obvious from the start that the proposal was coming but it was still cute.

• Like 3

Episode 3

His story was just heartbreaking. It's a terrible thing to happen to anyone but given that he was an athlete and so active and that he lost two other people... so many devastating things to happen to a young person so quickly. It might feel a little performative but I appreciate how sensitive they tried to be (e.g. asking if he wanted to be helped or use the ramp, asking if he was comfortable to share). They didn't take those things for granted just because he agreed to be on the show. I cried very early in this one.

I could watch Tan makeovers for hours.

Wesley looked great. I was expecting some big celebrity but it was lovely to check in with him.

I don't know if there's any group like this in the area, but it would have been great if they'd been able to connect him with a paraplegic basketball team. Also, sometimes I wish Karamo would help people find a therapist. I don't know if Speedy will do that once he's on his own and especially as a young person, navigating that stuff by yourself can be a lot. 

It seemed like they were building up to an apartment but he's a kid, how is he supposed to afford that? I was glad to hear that they paid the rent for a year but hopefully it's also an affordable place so he can stay there until he wants to live somewhere else. It also makes sense to fix it up but not make it too nice as it's not necessarily a permanent home. It feels like there's some stuff in the apartment that's still too high for him to reach but presumably friends and family might come over once in a while so that storage can still be useful. And it was amazing they found an apartment that would let them make all those changes. All the dark colors kind of gave it a cool hotel aesthetic. 

It would have been nice to see him reconnect with people his own age but I'm glad they didn't suddenly spring a party on him or anything since the few days they spent with him was not enough to overcome the social anxiety he talked about. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

Episode 3

His story was just heartbreaking. It's a terrible thing to happen to anyone but given that he was an athlete and so active and that he lost two other people... so many devastating things to happen to a young person so quickly. It might feel a little performative but I appreciate how sensitive they tried to be (e.g. asking if he wanted to be helped or use the ramp, asking if he was comfortable to share). They didn't take those things for granted just because he agreed to be on the show. I cried very early in this one.

Wesley looked great. I was expecting some big celebrity but it was lovely to check in with him.

I don't know if there's any group like this in the area, but it would have been great if they'd been able to connect him with a paraplegic basketball team. Also, sometimes I wish Karamo would help people find a therapist. I don't know if Speedy will do that once he's on his own and especially as a young person, navigating that stuff by yourself can be a lot. 

It seemed like they were building up to an apartment but he's a kid, how is he supposed to afford that? I was glad to hear that they paid the rent for a year but hopefully it's also an affordable place so he can stay there until he wants to live somewhere else. It also makes sense to fix it up but not make it too nice as it's not necessarily a permanent home. It feels like there's some stuff in the apartment that's still too high for him to reach but presumably friends and family might come over once in a while so that storage can still be useful. And it was amazing they found an apartment that would let them make all those changes. All the dark colors kind of gave it a cool hotel aesthetic. 

It would have been nice to see him reconnect with people his own age but I'm glad they didn't suddenly spring a party on him or anything since the few days they spent with him was not enough to overcome the social anxiety he talked about. 

He does have social media accounts and did say he was taking online college courses. I was hoping he'd get a trainer and one pic showed him "walking" with help . I know the show with Wesley really connected with Karoma. I was glad to see him again.

I felt so many things were left out with this show though, is he getting money from being disabled or the car that hit them? Can he afford the place after they altered it a bit for him. Who is paying for car and gas? Is he getting counseling? Nothing said of that but he is moving forward.  Is it a good thing when you don't have a way to keep up gift?

Then I saw THIS:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ray-speedy-walker-keep-moving-forward?utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Episode 4 

Jenni had a pretty nice house to start with. I wasn't sure what Bobby was going to do besides tidy up and get rid of the framed motivational quotes.  It was weird that they blurred the rom-com DVD covers. I spotted The Ugly Truth, The Way We Were, and 27 Dresses.

Jenni's issues are not terribly unique but I think that's okay. It's probably relatable for a lot of people and not everyone they help can be a parent juggling a lot of things or someone with a unique job or specific trauma. A lot of people are lonely and a lot of people are basic. It was nice to have a single person who wasn't older and widowed/divorced. Also, I just appreciated another episode with someone who doesn't seem totally comfortable being on camera.

Does JVN actually play the cello? I wish they'd let us hear it.

Tan is so lovely. I want a show that this just those kinds of makeovers. There was a little tough love but so much kindness. I appreciate that he recognized that was coming from a mental health place. A principal doesn't dress like that in a professional setting without a reason. He was spilling truths. But so was she. Society makes women feel undesirable at a size 8 or 10. It's so difficult to feel desirable at a size 16, 24, etc. And you do have to actively work harder and it can be exhausting. There's self-confidence and then there's reality. 

The window smashing was a dumb Karamo metaphor but from what I know of Jenni, I think she was into it aside from having to do it on camera. But it was very Dove commercial.

So after the Amazon Alexa last episode, the Prime mention definitely confirmed a sponsorship this season.

The "red" hair was more of a chestnut or walnut brown with highlights. It was pretty. The hair and makeup really made a big difference this episode. Even just evening out her skintone.

Bobby's beach house thing with splashes of dark paint was perfect for Jenni. It's her own aesthetic upscaled. Again, basic. 

I'm so curious about the wardrobe. Like, that pink dress was cute enough but it's definitely just a normal plus size dress. The state of plus size fashion continues to be abysmal.

Is this the first person who has given formal gifts to the Fab Five unprompted?

• Like 3

Watched ep 2 last night. Antoni made...a salad. I get that he was trying to show Stephanie that vegetables could be good, but he literally just threw some lettuce and random vegetables on a plate. I remember in the original series, Ted showed the candidate how to make a real meal (with a cocktail of some sort), and they had to make the meal for the life event at the end. 

It's pretty clear at this point that Antoni was hired to look pretty, and that's about it.

• Like 2

@cmfran Episode 3 is steak and fried rice at a hibachi restaurant and Episode 4 is sole (trout) meuniere. I think Antoni's purpose is to gently encourage people to start cooking rather than teach them the best possible recipe for a dinner party. I think he can cook but college guys are more likely to eat sandwiches and Stephanie's issue was vegetables. I do hope he gives them a copy of his cookbook at the end but also in 2023, you can look up a ton of recipes online if you're inclined to teach yourself.

• Like 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

@cmfran Episode 3 is steak and fried rice at a hibachi restaurant and Episode 4 is sole (trout) meuniere. I think Antoni's purpose is to gently encourage people to start cooking rather than teach them the best possible recipe for a dinner party. I think he can cook but college guys are more likely to eat sandwiches and Stephanie's issue was vegetables. I do hope he gives them a copy of his cookbook at the end but also in 2023, you can look up a ton of recipes online if you're inclined to teach yourself.

I was thinking that would be nice too and some light cookware to lift and cook with. My grandmother found many pans to heavy being in a wheel chair and the heights as they mentioned too much at times.

I thought he would do something of a combo of things with Stephanie instead of trying to be her mommy giving her veggies. There are a LOT of veggies out there. Do what I did as a young adult, have them on pizza and then expand :)

I thought the hibachi seemed nice but he had so little cooking skills and being a little awkward, that wasn't the easiest to start with. I have a feeling fast food is still predominant and it seemed he didn't get a lot of home cooked food after his Mom passed. 

I wondered what he originally was thinking of making before he brought up hibachi, or that might have just been script.

I hope Speedy finds a cheaper place and somehow gets money to pay for it. A lot of holes in that story and I wondered why they were looking for an apartment when he wasn't working and he didn't seem to think it was odd and then they paid for an year. Overthinking it but I wish him well. I know Stephanie is fine and still rocking the blonde and as I said before, I don't want to know about the frat house. : )

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Episode 4 

Jenni had a pretty nice house to start with. I wasn't sure what Bobby was going to do besides tidy up and get rid of the framed motivational quotes.  It was weird that they blurred the rom-com DVD covers. I spotted The Ugly Truth, The Way We Were, and 27 Dresses.

Jenni's issues are not terribly unique but I think that's okay. It's probably relatable for a lot of people and not everyone they help can be a parent juggling a lot of things or someone with a unique job or specific trauma. A lot of people are lonely and a lot of people are basic. It was nice to have a single person who wasn't older and widowed/divorced. Also, I just appreciated another episode with someone who doesn't seem totally comfortable being on camera.

Does JVN actually play the cello? I wish they'd let us hear it.

Tan is so lovely. I want a show that this just those kinds of makeovers. There was a little tough love but so much kindness. I appreciate that he recognized that was coming from a mental health place. A principal doesn't dress like that in a professional setting without a reason. He was spilling truths. But so was she. Society makes women feel undesirable at a size 8 or 10. It's so difficult to feel desirable at a size 16, 24, etc. And you do have to actively work harder and it can be exhausting. There's self-confidence and then there's reality. 

The window smashing was a dumb Karamo metaphor but from what I know of Jenni, I think she was into it aside from having to do it on camera. But it was very Dove commercial.

So after the Amazon Alexa last episode, the Prime mention definitely confirmed a sponsorship this season.

The "red" hair was more of a chestnut or walnut brown with highlights. It was pretty. The hair and makeup really made a big difference this episode. Even just evening out her skintone.

Bobby's beach house thing with splashes of dark paint was perfect for Jenni. It's her own aesthetic upscaled. Again, basic. 

I'm so curious about the wardrobe. Like, that pink dress was cute enough but it's definitely just a normal plus size dress. The state of plus size fashion continues to be abysmal.

Is this the first person who has given formal gifts to the Fab Five unprompted?

I liked Jenni, she was "real". So many women are like her or feel invisible. I liked the flowery dress, more my style and thought the first outfit just didn't work. Here is one dress   https://www.express.com/clothing/women/metallic-floral-ruffle-wrap-front-romper/pro/07907421/color/Pink Print/?AID=11388515&PID=4441350&SID=.NDc4NjM3LTA.c7f77577-f373-11ed-9213-8d60b5c9165b&CID=550&pubname=LTK&pubID=4441350&CJEVENT=c826696af37311ed8325c1590a82b838

I love old houses like hers, just loved it.

She was very brave to do what she did, it's not easy to say your insecurities to yourself, to a TV audience ? That's something.  2 dates is nice but don't settle, be true to yourself.

I hope she keeps the color if she likes it, looks great on her warmer than blonde would have been.

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, debraran said:

I liked Jenni, she was "real". So many women are like her or feel invisible. I liked the flowery dress, more my style and thought the first outfit just didn't work. Here is one dress   https://www.express.com/clothing/women/metallic-floral-ruffle-wrap-front-romper/pro/07907421/color/Pink Print/?AID=11388515&PID=4441350&SID=.NDc4NjM3LTA.c7f77577-f373-11ed-9213-8d60b5c9165b&CID=550&pubname=LTK&pubID=4441350&CJEVENT=c826696af37311ed8325c1590a82b838

I love old houses like hers, just loved it.

She was very brave to do what she did, it's not easy to say your insecurities to yourself, to a TV audience ? That's something.  2 dates is nice but don't settle, be true to yourself.

I hope she keeps the color if she likes it, looks great on her warmer than blonde would have been. If I see the other dress I'll post it but probably $$

I wondered what he originally was thinking of making before he brought up hibachi, or that might have just been script.

I hope Speedy finds a cheaper place and somehow gets money to pay for it. A lot of holes in that story and I wondered why they were looking for an apartment when he wasn't working and he didn't seem to think it was odd and then they paid for an year. Overthinking it but I wish him well. I know Stephanie is fine and still rocking the blonde and as I said before, I don't want to know about the frat house. : )

My guess is Antoni was going to focus more on "bulking up" meals that would be palatable to someone with appetite issues.

I assume Speedy wasn't going to stay with a relative permanently so they didn't want to fix up one of their homes. Setting him up in an apartment for a year was a great start and he can presumably take a lot of those appliances when he leaves, but yeah, he's still stuck looking for an accessible living situation after the year is up. I assumed it was in a more affordable area because it looked like it was away from the city/taller buildings but I guess not.

She was very brave to do what she did, it's not easy to say your insecurities to yourself, to a TV audience ?

I could never. Especially now that the show is on Netflix so someone can watch it at any time (vs. catching it randomly on TV).

• Like 1

Episode 5 

Honestly, from the beginning, this one just felt like promo for the deli. Successful business, low-scale issues for the Fab Five to solve... Also the camera angles make it obvious the bit at the counter was staged. So I wasn't thrilled with this episode from the start. At best, it seemed like "fixing" Dan for Cara's sake because she was the nominator.

JVN's "I see my grandfather's eyebrows" thing was very funny to me.

Dan being 50 and the stuff about walking away from being a lawyer... I don't know. I got the sense there was a lot left unsaid, especially if this was his first serious relationship. If someone does some digging and more stuff is revealed, I will not be surprised. At least, I feel like he was being quiet but he was clever enough to not need their advice. 

I think I missed it but I don't want to go back. I thought they'd been dating for 2 years but then everyone kept talking about it like it was many years. How does he know so little about his girlfriend?

There's been so much going on in the other episodes... I'm glad we got a Bobby shopping trip in this one.

Some of that eggplant looked pretty burnt.

I do think all the Jonathan prodding and compliments brought him out of his shell the most. With the others, it felt like he was just trying to say the right thing.

Dan already had a nice house. Bobby just spruced it up a bit and filled it with a few fancy pieces and lots of plants. 

The green dress looked great on JVN, especially with the purse; I feel like he's really coming into his fashion choices this season.

Speaking of style, I think Tan just made Dan preppy and professional again. I'm not sure they discovered a personal style for him.

• Like 2
(edited)

I enjoyed that they had an educated, successful woman, and they spoke to her on her level. I think many women will relate to her insecurities, and how easy it is to fall into a rut. A good haircut and a little color made such a difference!

But I didn't like Tan's clothing choices. There was an ill-fitting, oversize beige suit, with a white knit top underneath. It wasn't flattering, and Tan was taken aback that she didn't like it.  Also, a miniskirt and some very short, flouncy dresses. Maybe she said she didn't like colors? The flouncy dresses were ok for a party, but as someone in the same basic demographic as this woman, there are way more elegant, stylish and professional choices. How about a sleek, stylish suit, or some colors and interesting prints. And why didn't she get to shop in a store like their other heroes?

Edited by Hanya2
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, debraran said:

I hope Speedy finds a cheaper place and somehow gets money to pay for it. A lot of holes in that story and I wondered why they were looking for an apartment when he wasn't working and he didn't seem to think it was odd and then they paid for an year.

On 5/15/2023 at 3:50 AM, aradia22 said:

It seemed like they were building up to an apartment but he's a kid, how is he supposed to afford that?

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't Speedy be getting some sort of disability/SSI as well as a major settlement from the other driver in the accident?  He didn't seem that interested in income, just interested in a purpose like a trainer or a coach.

On 5/15/2023 at 7:15 AM, cmfran said:

It's pretty clear at this point that Antoni was hired to look pretty, and that's about it.

He's doing a great job!  I don't care if he teaches the heroes to make PB&J sandwiches!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 5/15/2023 at 3:12 PM, aradia22 said:

I've just been waiting for him to do something that reflects some sort of culinary skill, and so far, I haven't seen it. 

(edited)

And why didn't she get to shop in a store like their other heroes?

My guess is that when they do this there either isn't a store that can accommodate with sizing OR the person has expressed so much discomfort that they do it in relative privacy (obviously there's a camera crew and everything) so they can feel like they're in a safer environment. In Jenni's case, I would guess it's the latter. 

He's doing a great job!  I don't care if he teaches the heroes to make PB&J sandwiches!

Haha, it's funny how they really went over the top with it by including that shower scene at the end. I think Antoni displays enough culinary skill for the show. He might be able to make macarons or a terrine if someone asked for it, but realistically most people want fairly simple meals. It's not like he only makes sandwiches or guacamole.

Edited by aradia22
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't Speedy be getting some sort of disability/SSI as well as a major settlement from the other driver in the accident?  He didn't seem that interested in income, just interested in a purpose like a trainer or a coach.

I thought the same, but the way he said the make of the car, it might have been a hit and run. Then you don't get much but he should with his mom dead, get something in SS. There were a few holes there in the story but privacy and other things might have been part of that. The Go Fund Me wasn't too explicit but just said While Queer Eye was able to help Speedy get his life back on track, Speedy could still use help raising funds for his monthly rent once the year Queer Eye generously funded runs out, ongoing medical costs, and living expenses while he works to get to a place where he can make ends meet on his own. Anything donated goes directly into a joint account that Speedy has access to and he will get to use the money as he sees fit. He is the only one who touches that account. Anything helps; thanks for your support of Speedy!

He has posted a few videos and showed how he can drive etc and although I didn't listen to it, someone said how do you deal with haters and he said "ignore them"

• Thanks 2

Episode 7

I skipped one so I can hopefully save an emotional episode for last.

Oh, Antoni. A Canadian trying to trick a South Asian about peppers?

Don't put your compost in the fridge. Put it in the freezer before it starts to go off and take it out when you're ready to add it to the compost.

So many dogs this season... I love it. The editors get it.

I know it breaks the old format but I continue to love how they let each of the Fab Five give advice even if it's outside of their "role" on the show. Why shouldn't Bobby help him with his application? They get to speak to their personal experience and not just their area of expertise.

Karamo was giving a little more tough love than he has been giving the rest of the season. Not in a mean way but I think because Jason is so easy-going it was hard to push through to the hurt. It's hard to access emotion quickly (they do have a limited time frame) with people who have been repressing their feelings for so long.

What schools were like in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina is something I've never thought about.

How long is Bobby's obsession with black paint and dark colors going to last? I think it works in some spaces but it's getting repetitive and I think it's too trendy longterm for some of these people. The vaguely millennial minimalist mid-century modern IKEA vibe does work for a young couple but I think the bedroom is still way too dark.

Keeping some of Michael's facial hair would have been cute. I wonder if there are ever reasons they don't reveal on camera (e.g. unhealthy hair growth). He looks like a baby with the clean face and tight curls.

Did the Antoni segment not make the edit? His floral salad appetizers were pretty. I'm not sure how they'd taste.

Tan's wardrobe was wild. I'm so curious how Michael is going to dress in the future. How many classes does he have to take in the graduate program? Doesn't he have to be on campus?

• Like 2

Episode 6

I feel like Mary didn't always know when they were joking. Very earnest. But she was genuinely attentive and engaged with everything happening. I missed the energy of an older person for most of the season.

I don't mind someone wanting to promote a charitable organization on this show. And Mary was especially deserving anyway.

The way Tan dressed Mary could be seen as a little dowdy but I think he was respectful of her personality. That's how I imagine an older woman who works in a thrift store would like to dress. It's comfortable but flattering and the kind of prints you'd see in a thrift store. 

There's a lot in the letter that didn't make the edit. He said she told him the boys too much emphasis on money and he implies they learned that from her. The letters were arriving to him having been opened. She told him she didn't think he loved her anymore and he vehemently denied it. She was rushed to the hospital with internal bleeding. There's a lot of love but also some potential codependency. There's a lot to unpack there and Karamo only scratched the surface by encouraging her to reach out.

I'm proud of JVN for learning how to cut and style black hair rather than always calling in another hairdresser. He doesn't have to lead but at least now he can really participate. It really should be standard for hairstylists. The team did a lovely job. I'm glad they left the gray. 

I'm not totally sure about Bobby's decision to take away all those cabinets and just leave shelving. But I liked all the porcelain and it made it feel more Martha Stewart than just basic furniture store playing to millennial trends.

Tan really stepped it up with the final wardrobe. He's been having a lot of fun this season with people who aren't afraid of colors and prints. 

Bringing in Mary's family ended up being a nice moment but I hope there was some preparation there. They managed to get three of her children. Do they live nearby and the other three live elsewhere? 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Episode 6

I feel like Mary didn't always know when they were joking. Very earnest. But she was genuinely attentive and engaged with everything happening. I missed the energy of an older person for most of the season.

I don't mind someone wanting to promote a charitable organization on this show. And Mary was especially deserving anyway.

The way Tan dressed Mary could be seen as a little dowdy but I think he was respectful of her personality. That's how I imagine an older woman who works in a thrift store would like to dress. It's comfortable but flattering and the kind of prints you'd see in a thrift store. 

There's a lot in the letter that didn't make the edit. He said she told him the boys too much emphasis on money and he implies they learned that from her. The letters were arriving to him having been opened. She told him she didn't think he loved her anymore and he vehemently denied it. She was rushed to the hospital with internal bleeding. There's a lot of love but also some potential codependency. There's a lot to unpack there and Karamo only scratched the surface by encouraging her to reach out.

I'm proud of JVN for learning how to cut and style black hair rather than always calling in another hairdresser. He doesn't have to lead but at least now he can really participate. It really should be standard for hairstylists. The team did a lovely job. I'm glad they left the gray. 

I'm not totally sure about Bobby's decision to take away all those cabinets and just leave shelving. But I liked all the porcelain and it made it feel more Martha Stewart than just basic furniture store playing to millennial trends.

Tan really stepped it up with the final wardrobe. He's been having a lot of fun this season with people who aren't afraid of colors and prints. 

Bringing in Mary's family ended up being a nice moment but I hope there was some preparation there. They managed to get three of her children. Do they live nearby and the other three live elsewhere? 

I would like to read an update when another year goes by. Right now she says she knew she’d been chosen as a hero but didn’t know when the crew would arrive for the shoot that lasted about four days. “I stayed in a hotel and I had no interaction with anybody on the outside, and they took me around to get my hair done, makeup, we got clothes,” Mary said. “I mean, it was the most phenomenal you could have ever imagined, and those guys are truly what they appear to be on TV.” She said she is opening a boutique inside store this past January. No update on kids but I assume as with any family that is fluid and takes a lot of time. They were scattered she said all over and maybe some couldn't or didn't want to be on show (I can't see them not paying for airfare)

Some updates are sad, a woman they had doing her own business in the past had to shut down, a farm might be in trouble, but most are usually doing okay.

This is Mary's instagram https://www.instagram.com/sisterhearts_thriftstore/

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Episode 5

Dan the deli man has a reputation as a generous, caring guy with a familiar gruff exterior, who does a lot of charity work and lives his values. The deli decor and old ads were filled with his personality. They missed the entire culture thing. Did my boys really help him out? Or did they attempt to convert him into a better boyfriend for Cara? 

Lots of criticism over working too hard and not spending time with Cara and her family. WTF? Maybe there’s a reason, eh? Dan was respectful to everyone, but not sure he truly received it back. Shave and a haircut—yeah, thanks. What’s the over/under on how long that look lasts? Clothes were meh. Dan’s been making deli food for years, but screw that, Cara likes eggplant. Rare miss, this one. 

• Like 3

Maybe they could have rounded this out by including other people around him besides Cara and her daughters. How about the people who work for him in the deli? Does he have any poker buddies? Any family he's on good terms with?

(edited)

Watching Michael, I like him, I've known people like him, you can't leave your childhood 100% for sure. i love his smile and hair. He seemed very comfortable with Tan and the clothes but less so with Karamo. I would probably feel the same in his shoes. His place reflected his anxiety and upbringing but his girlfriend I feel could have had some say in it. That said, my son has issues with his partner and mess so it's easier to say it on the outside for sure. I guess he modeled before.

My daughter has a bonnet for afro too and it works well. She has trouble with getting the uniform curls too a hair dresser can do but harder on your own.  I loved his look but think a mustache will look nice if he grows it back.

Loved his home but he probably will take weeks to find things and adjust. That is like a new place. ; )

Updates say that he is modeling and he seemed like a natural with Tan so not surprising. He said on Instagram that Karamo is a great hugger but I bet Jon would have liked some love since he was crushing on him. lol The guy in pictures didn't seem as insecure as the guy on TV but maybe that is why Instagram and FB are fake to some degree.

I also read :

Moreover, Michael is a Brand Ambassador at Imagine Festival, a Street Team member at BUKU Music+Art Project as well as Amps Events, a model, and a Loyola University New Orleans College of Law student. It turns out the 32-year-old was not just accepted into the Master’s in Environmental Law & Policy program, but he was also offered a scholarship owing to his 10+ years of experience in working with diverse populations in local food and wellness. In other words, the aspiring Recirculating Farms Executive Director is now well on his way to achieving his goals of food inclusivity in the community through means of knowledge, and we can’t wait to see what he does next.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsSP6aFNdHZ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQGnpNXjRTR/

Edited by debraran
  • Like 4

I doubled back to watch Stephanie, finally. Wow. Kudos to Jonathan for his sensitivity in allowing Stephanie to start discovering herself. That blond hair and cut were so good on her and for her. One of the biggest and best makeovers I can remember. Tan, too, worked to choose outfits that Steph would be comfortable wearing. They made sense, but also, they suited her and she knew it.

I don't know if what Bobby did was "their style" or not, we didn't have any clues as to what that would be. But you could see how happy they were with it and that's what counts.

Karamo bringing her brother to town and enabling them to re-connect was everything you could have hoped for.

This makes up for the Dan episode.

• Like 4

He seemed very comfortable with Tan and the clothes but less so with Karamo.

The guy in pictures didn't seem as insecure as the guy on TV but maybe that is why Instagram and FB are fake to some degree.

It makes sense. He wasn't one of the people with body insecurities so his session with Tan was purely fun while Karamo was challenging him. He seems like he'd be confident in his day to day life. His insecurities were about moving forward and being asked his feelings about the past. I do hope he finds someone to talk to rather than continuing to repress that stuff because he'd rather not dwell on it. 

• Like 2

The biggest impact, at least visually, is always the haircut, the clothes, and the remodeling. Antoni and Karamo always seem to provide less, substantively. I did think Karamo did a good job with Steph and the frat boys, but the window smashing with Jenni just seemed performative and silly.

I think "Sowing the Seeds" with Michael was probably my favorite, followed by "Superfan Steph" and then "Jenni Seckel's Diary." I agree "Dan the Deli Man" was a comparatively weak entry. And I haven't watched "Speedy for Life" yet.

I wish they would just do a season of follow-ups because I'd really like to know if Steph kept her hair blonde or if Jenni kept hers red, or what the frat house looks like a year later. Ten bucks says it's a sty again.

I got a kick out of JVN dressing up like Tan and vice-versa. JNV would actually look quite handsome with a short haircut.

• Like 5

As an English teacher, I loved Bobby helping Michael with his letter about himself for graduate school. I'm glad they let him do something outside of decorating, if he could be of help. 

I guess they didn't have enough space for his segment with Antoni, but this was an excellent episode, so ok.

Also happy, per the Instagram links above, that he is still with his girlfriend.

• Like 2
On 5/18/2023 at 1:21 PM, Hanya2 said:

Maybe they could have rounded this out by including other people around him besides Cara and her daughters. How about the people who work for him in the deli? Does he have any poker buddies? Any family he's on good terms with?

He seemed depressed to me. His affect was very flat. He said his father wanted him to be a lawyer and was more proud of his doctor brother, so I wondered if he and his family were estranged. I kept wondering how he and Cara came to be. She’s a CEO and he rolled up to her work function in deli clothes?! Like … he really didn’t know better? 

• Like 4

I'm probably thinking about this more than is necessary, but I don't think this couple is a great match. He's showing up to her fundraiser in schleppy clothes? He knows better, I think he's being passive-aggressive, because of unresolved issues with his family expecting him to be a professional. I come from the same kind of family, it's a lot of pressure for some people.

But I think he'd be happier with more of a salt-of-the-earth person who accepts him for who he is, and she deserves some kind of executive who she can brainstorm with, and who will happily show up for her in the way she deserves.

• Like 2

Michael was HOT. He reminded me of Daveed Diggs, who is my celeb crush (and I’m happy to say I met him and he was as nice as I hoped). He seemed like a real sweetheart too (he was so kind to his fiancée when she was overwhelmed by the new decor; he clearly adores her), and he was so delighted by everything. I totally related to him saying he was always waiting for the other shoe to drop - I do that too. He seemed so confident at the fundraiser.

• Like 7
  • Love 3

Just binged the season.  Agree Dan seems depressed, and the way he spoke to Cara at the end acknowledged that he needed to still work on himself before he could really move forward.  Also liked the school principal, there is room in the show for more 'ordinary' people without extraordinary life stories.   Could not figure out Mary, she had 7 kids but spent 12 years in jail because she wouldn't strike a deal and implicate someone else? No judgement just trying to understand the timeline.  And good for them to address the incredible difficulty to reacclimate after incarceration.  It's a national shame our rate of incarceration (especially among people of color) and how they are treated after supposedly doing their time (which does not end at release).

• Like 2
On 5/25/2023 at 10:28 AM, jabRI said:

Also liked the school principal, there is room in the show for more 'ordinary' people without extraordinary life stories.   Could not figure out Mary, she had 7 kids but spent 12 years in jail because she wouldn't strike a deal and implicate someone else? No judgement just trying to understand the timeline. 

It occurs to me that by setting an entire season in one city they may have trouble finding seven really "great" candidates for makeovers. Hence the inclusion of one or two like Dan from the deli, or that cowboy last season that didn't really seem into it.

• Like 2

Sometimes I wonder if "pieces of the puzzle"  fall through for some episodes. Perhaps some of the people they wanted to interview for Dan changed their mind or it just didn't work out. Or, for the principal, if the standard places for professional clothing for women who are not 25 and skinny, just didn't want to volunteer their stores or provide clothing. I think of Express as a store for women in their teens and 20s. I would never shop there for work clothes

• Like 1
On 5/15/2023 at 4:39 PM, debraran said:

I thought the hibachi seemed nice but he had so little cooking skills and being a little awkward, that wasn't the easiest to start with. I have a feeling fast food is still predominant and it seemed he didn't get a lot of home cooked food after his Mom passed. 

In this case, Speedy specifically asked if Antoni could teach him how to make it and he seemed excited about it, so it worked for me. And because so many of the heroes either don't know much of anything about cooking or work a million hours a week, it makes sense to me that a lot of Antoni's segments are about, "See, you *can* make something! Don't be scared of the kitchen," and, "Here's something great you can make for yourself that doesn't take a long time." Often, he's helping someone take their first step to establish a relationship with cooking, and to me, it seems like that's more helpful than, "Make this dinner party menu."

On 5/16/2023 at 9:30 AM, Hanya2 said:

But I didn't like Tan's clothing choices. There was an ill-fitting, oversize beige suit, with a white knit top underneath. It wasn't flattering, and Tan was taken aback that she didn't like it.  Also, a miniskirt and some very short, flouncy dresses. Maybe she said she didn't like colors? The flouncy dresses were ok for a party, but as someone in the same basic demographic as this woman, there are way more elegant, stylish and professional choices. How about a sleek, stylish suit, or some colors and interesting prints. And why didn't she get to shop in a store like their other heroes?

I assume that, because Tan clocked that her current clothing choices were rooted in personal/self-esteem issues, and she voiced a lot of insecurity about her body, she felt more comfortable in the "safer" environment of the Queer Eye house.

On 5/16/2023 at 7:03 PM, aradia22 said:

Don't put your compost in the fridge. Put it in the freezer before it starts to go off and take it out when you're ready to add it to the compost.

I have a smaller compost container in the fridge that I add to during the day, then in the evening I dump it into a bigger one I keep in my basement freezer, where I have more space for it.

Frat Guys - Obviously, the show set out intentionally wanting to go beyond the old “for the straight guy” premise, and I like seeing everyone they help. But I do think straight guys are often the most in need of the Fab Five’s gentler, more open brands of masculinity. The open-up session with Karamo was clearly cathartic for all of them, but I also really liked Bobby encouraging them to respect their home by treating it well and teaching them how to fix things. (That said, what’s the over-under on how long it’s going to take that fancy renovation to get completely trashed?) I like that Tan had them all pick out their own clothes and most of them did pretty well, just getting minor tweaks from Tan to be more “stepped up.” I thought all the makeovers looked good, especially for all the curly-haired guys.

Stephanie - Me and my house/wardrobe full of nerd stuff was prepared to feel called out by the Fab Five casting aspersions on all of Stephanie’s fan stuff, but I really liked this episode. It was interesting to watch them peel back all the deflecting/camouflaging she was doing because of encounters with homophobic assholes and her own internalized homophobia. The talk with her brother was really liberating, I appreciated Tan talking about how sometimes queer folks *do* need to hold themselves back for their own safety, and I liked Jonathan’s explanation that it’s okay to start an affirmation before you even believe what you’re saying. I thought the hair and the clothes looked fantastic on her. The renovation wasn’t as stark, since Bobby was starting with a new house, but I liked his emphasis on it being a place *for* Stephanie/Rachel, where they could take up their own space. (Though I don’t see why there couldn’t have been more of Stephanie’s fan stuff sprinkled around the house in the sleek displays he set up in just the one room.) During the ending video, I loved the whole Fab Five doing a Big Gay Gasp when Stephanie proposed.

Speedy - Sure, having Karamo go, “Let me call the other wheelchair user I know,” is…something, but in this case, it was definitely beneficial. Wesley is someone who runs an advocacy group that’s focused around athletics, so he was in a good spot to talk to Speedy, empathize with him, and encourage him. I like that he joined Bobby and Speedy to go apartment hunting, pointing out different accessibility issues to watch out for. The renovated apartment was pretty good, but it seems like he’d have a tough time transferring to the couch with that big coffee table in the way. I liked Tan’s sentiment, later echoed by Wesley, that Speedy can’t stop people staring at him, so “might as well give them something to stare at.” Jonathan showering him in compliments was sweet, and I liked that Antoni quickly realized that the cooking lesson was less about accessibility and more just, “This 20-year-old has no idea how to cook.” I would like to see a future episode featuring someone who’s lived with a disability all/most of their life; this was good, but, as with Wesley’s episode, it did seem kind of focused on the “abled gaze.”

Jenni - Tan’s out here doing the good work, helping people find a better relationship with their bodies. I liked his observation that, when someone feels bad about their looks, the last thing they should do is put on something that makes them feel worse, and his remark about “American happy” was spot on. Karamo’s window activity might have seemed a little cheesy, but there really is something powerful about taking the negative thoughts you have about yourself and physically seeing those words in front of you, and finding a way to say the opposite thing has a power, too. I really liked Jonathan’s conversation with Jenni about women in education/caregiving roles feeling like they don’t have permission to embrace their sensuality. And omg, getting the whole Fab Five gifts was such an educator thing to do!

Dan - I didn’t like how the whole week revolved around how Dan needed to change specifically *for* Cara. On some level, it’s understandable, since 1) he was nominated by her daughters and 2) he *did* really want the relationship to work. But I was so glad for his time with Jonathan, who pointed out that he doesn’t have to have a “binary” deli-or-Cara mindset and could make compromises without jumping straight into drastic 180 changes. It was also good to have Jonathan remind Dan that he needs to show up for himself before he shows up for anyone else. I liked seeing how appreciative Dan was to the Fab Five throughout, especially Bobby and Antoni. And it made me smile when Antoni told Dan he’d just assumed he was pretty adept in the kitchen but quickly course-corrected without judgment when he realized that wasn’t the case.

Mary - A heavy episode, but a good one. I really liked Mary’s thrift store/mission, and it was illuminating to see all the ways her prison experience affected her daily life: her locs as a “literally protective” style, the decarceration of simply being allowed to make choices, not being able to throw food out, etc. And I’m a big fan of “explanations, not excuses,” so it was good to see her talking with Karamo and unpack the various factors that kept her at arm’s length from her children while still acknowledging the hurt she’d caused them. During her salon time with Jonathan, I loved the sight of five people attending to her at once, giving love and hair to her hair and helping her to nurture herself.

Michael - Bobby’s role with the hero is often hands-off, since he’s so busy with the renovation, but whenever he has a personal connection to the hero and their story, he really dives in to do something meaningful for them. Sharing his own experiences/insecurities with Michael and being there as he finished his application was really good. It was nice that the Fab Five offered their space for the fundraiser to avoid weather issues–Antoni’s catering looked great–but I was surprised that they were there for the whole thing. Have we really seen them attend any of the end-of-episode “events” before?

• Like 1

It occurs to me that by setting an entire season in one city they may have trouble finding seven really "great" candidates for makeovers. Hence the inclusion of one or two like Dan from the deli, or that cowboy last season that didn't really seem into it.

Sometimes I wonder if "pieces of the puzzle"  fall through for some episodes. Perhaps some of the people they wanted to interview for Dan changed their mind or it just didn't work out. Or, for the principal, if the standard places for professional clothing for women who are not 25 and skinny, just didn't want to volunteer their stores or provide clothing. I think of Express as a store for women in their teens and 20s. I would never shop there for work clothes

That makes sense. As annoying as the wait can be between seasons, with all of the Fab Five's other projects, I imagine they stick to a pretty quick shooting schedule for this show. I doubt they'd circle back to do pickups to round out the edit if they're already on to the next candidate. 

I have a smaller compost container in the fridge that I add to during the day, then in the evening I dump it into a bigger one I keep in my basement freezer, where I have more space for it.

This is fine since you're changing it out daily, but it seemed like they were just keeping their moldy fruit and veg in there. I compost stuff that would otherwise be food waste, not stuff I forgot to use until it got gross. The only exception is when, for example, I pick out a few blueberries that seem suspicious right out of the container, but they go straight to the freezer. 

@angora I feel like we'd have mostly the same thoughts watching this show together.

• Like 1
(edited)

I binge-watched this season with my bestie over the past two days and we really enjoyed it. Some very genuinely emotional episodes.

A few random thoughts...

* Neither of us was that fond of Jenni. She just kind of came across as a whinger who actually was doing more than okay in many areas of her life. It didn't help at all that we saw Speedy's episode before hers and it didn't sit well that a young guy who lost his mum, his aunt and the use of his legs when he was only 18 had a more positive outlook on life than she did.

* My favourite episode was superfan Steph. An amazing transformation in every way!

* I enjoyed the Dan episode more than others on the forum seem to have. Probably because I found him very attractive in a Jeffrey Dean Morgan kinda way. And what great hair!

* Speaking of attractive people, both Mary from episode 6 and especially Michael from episode 7 were gorgeous.

* Re Tan's fashion choices, he took a lot of wrong turns with Jenni!

Edited by katisha
  • Like 1
On 5/15/2023 at 2:50 AM, aradia22 said:

Episode 3

Speedy does have a presence on Tik Tok- I would hope with the exposure on the show and rent paid for a year he could get himself in a good financial place to be able to afford it the next year. They also should’ve offered him some financial coaching- he’s very young and his head has been all over the place, the accident, the pandemic, losing his Mom and Aunt, I doubt he has had the energy to think about any of the “typical” young adult stuff. Like managing your money etc. He can still go to college if he wants. 

Many people I know that use wheelchairs have devices that help them reach things on high shelves (grippers and rods, many LP use those as well). 

On 6/9/2023 at 11:45 AM, angora said:

Speedy - Sure, having Karamo go, “Let me call the other wheelchair user I know,” is…something, but in this case, it was definitely beneficial. Wesley is someone who runs an advocacy group that’s focused around athletics, so he was in a good spot to talk to Speedy, empathize with him, and encourage him.

I think it worked not only because Wesley was another wheelchair user, he was another young black male (although older than speedy) who had not been disabled from birth/childhood. He had been through the same process Speedy had been, and could give him wisdom and empathy. I think that was one of the best things they could’ve done for Speedy. Maybe they could work together in the future on accessibility and advocacy. 

• Like 2