Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: The Truth Hurts

• Start Topic

Season Finale. Emma and Charlie partner with Daphne to produce a plan to take down the Maguires once and for all, but will the final showdown cause Charlie and Emma to stay on opposite sides or end up closer than ever?

Airing May 7, 2023

Does anyone know the song played in scene as Charlie and Emma embraced in his apartment?  They went to commercial with the sing playing. When it resumed, they were lying in bed.  

Mary Chris Wall
company-you-keep-episode-10c.jpg

Demi Castro

In the foreground they are saying that Patrick Maguire is dead. In the background they are putting handcuffs on Patrick Maguire. I don't understand.

I guess Connor Maguire is going to show up again at some point. I am not looking forward to that.

Oh No!, The Russians are trying to influence American Politics. 

I am not sure why David Hill said that if he wins, he will only run for one term. You would think people would want a honest Politician to stick around as long as possible. 

• Like 1
(edited)

So the Maguires seem to be out of the picture for now; don't like that they left it open for Connor to come back.

Not sure how I feel about the setups for a potential Season 2; a) the Nicolettis will become a 'Leverage' team; that's probably the only way to have them still doing cons but not be villains and/or hypocrites. b) Emma starts her own ... internal affairs/anti-corruption office?? I wasn't 100% sure what she was doing, and how that would actually work. c) a Russian embedded in David's campaign?? Too much drama for this sideplot.

Edited by Trini
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I am not sure why David Hill said that if he wins, he will only run for one term. You would think people would want a honest Politician to stick around as long as possible. 

I think the idea is that by sering only one term, he will not have to worry about relection, which means while serving as senator, he will not need to fund a re-election campaign, which means there is no reason for corporations or anyone else to donate to his campaign/SuperPAC. 

12 hours ago, Trini said:

Not sure how I feel about the setups for a potential Season 2; a) the Nicolettis will become a 'Leverage' team; that's probably the only way to have them still doing cons but not be villains and/or hypocrites. b) Emma starts her own ... internal affairs/anti-corruption office?? I wasn't 100% sure what she was doing, and how that would actually work. c) a Russian embedded in David's campaign?? Too much drama for this sideplot.

I like two out of three possible set-ups for season 2. I am totally on board with the Nicolettis becoming a Leverage style team. Emma and her team investigating the CIA (and probably occasionly calling on the Nicolettis for assistance/advice) could make for some cool subplots. And they totally lost me with the Russian on David's campaign. David works best as a window into Emma's character, especially what shaped her growing up in that family. David's character is best when he is helping the series to explore Hill family dynamics, but David should not have arcs/storylines in his own right that are driving the series. 

I thought this was a satisfying season finale and I hope we get a season 2. 

• Like 4

My problem with David's campaign is that he isn't even in the state for which he wants to be Senator.  He won the primary while living and campaigning in DC.  I just don't get it.

I am down for a Leverage type show, but as I think Emma is a weak character (played by a weak actress), I would be good with her going off and rarely being seen.  I really think the core show should be about the family.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I do like this show, but everyone was being so irrational in this episode.

Emma knows she's being followed by someone in the CIA, so she pretends to take some time off, but then she and Charlie arrange a meeting with Daphne at the bar where both the agents tailing her and Mason see the three of them go in and can figure out that something is up.

Birdie and Simon act as decoys for Charlie and Emma so they can leave without being tailed, but then they all go to the same place.

David doesn't want to be a politician so much that he walked out of the final debate before it was over, but then he won and was like, "oh okay, I guess I can do this thing that disgusts me for six years."

Leo and Fran sell their bar for what has to be 2 to 4 times what the building is worth to real estate developers and then are shocked, SHOCKED, that the developers are going to tear the bar down and put up a mixed-use building.

However, it was all worth it just for this:

First FBI Agent: Maguire is dead.
Second FBI Agent: [zip-ties Maguire's hands behind his back]

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

That was weird. I'm guessing the decision to kill him off was made in post-production? Maybe when they shot the scene, he actually was getting arrested alive.

• Useful 1
On 5/7/2023 at 10:02 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know the song played in scene as Charlie and Emma embraced in his apartment?  They went to commercial with the sing playing. When it resumed, they were lying in bed.  

According to Shazam, the song is "Tell me the Truth" by Two Feet. 

• Useful 1

Emma and her family are the weakest parts of the show.  Charlie does not nèed to be attached.  The banter was there in the writing but the actress could not deliver.

Emma rolling up in the suv running straight into gunfire to be captured by Mcguire was such a cringe scene.  She looked so awkward. But the actresss never looked comfortable and that was the problem. 

If it comes back they need to nix Emma and Charlie or only have it as a flirtation. No one cares about her political family.  That story is dead weight.

Daphne could be an asset for Charlie but was always set up

to be a one season character which is a shame because she was more believable than Emma and she understands the criminal world.

No need to revisit Mcguire junior...ever 

Maybe I will get my American Hustle with a twist for season 2, vut it sounds more like Leverage

A waste of Tony Shaloub.

I love William F and I am still waiting for another season of Crossing Lines🤣

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, fishcakes said:

David doesn't want to be a politician so much that he walked out of the final debate before it was over, but then he won and was like, "oh okay, I guess I can do this thing that disgusts me for six years."

And that's just one more con for the show.  FF 5 1/2 years and it's David in DC "I know I promised not to run for re-election, but our country is at a crossroads and we can't let the other party win control of the Senate and ruin everything we have accomplished blah blah blah...."

15 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Maybe they graduated from the Agent Ressler School of FBI work.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

My problem with David's campaign is that he isn't even in the state for which he wants to be Senator.  He won the primary while living and campaigning in DC.  I just don't get it.

I am down for a Leverage type show, but as I think Emma is a weak character (played by a weak actress), I would be good with her going off and rarely being seen.  I really think the core show should be about the family.

She's the female lead, so that won't ever happen. I'm fine with a cancellation because it did not live up to the hype and the leads have no chemistry. 

Eh, I'm mixed about this show and a S02. Overall I liked it well enough, but I agree with others above, that David's political run isn't germain to the show really, and him having a Russian operative girlfriend is also stupid AF. Like they're trying to insert a round DRAMA! peg into a square WTF! hole. (I realize that last sentence sounded odd, but let's just go with it, shall we?)

I sort of like Emma and Charlie together, but it's Charlie's family that is the real star of this show. So a S02 needs to remember that.

I guess Emma got a black card off of Maguire before he was shot dead, or after he was shot dead, and that has access to a shit ton of money to fund her black ops work now? Isn't that what the black card was? And isn't that what Daphne wanted to grab as well? She said it would be a shame to leave all that money on the table and it would be so easy to grab it unnoticed before the Feds got there. I assume that's what Emma had in her possession with that card?

The whole sell the bar thing was dumb.

That's all I got folks...

• Like 3
3 hours ago, catrice2 said:

A waste of Tony Shaloub.

Completely agree. Finding out he was going to be on the show was the only reason I started watching in the first place, and I doubt we'll see his character again. But I should have figured. He and Polly Draper have been friends for decades, and he often takes on small parts in friends' projects that he's really too good for.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Completely agree. Finding out he was going to be on the show was the only reason I started watching in the first place, and I doubt we'll see his character again. But I should have figured. He and Polly Draper have been friends for decades, and he often takes on small parts in friends' projects that he's really too good for.

He also worked with Milo on The Marvelous Ms. Maisel 

(edited)
2 hours ago, gingerella said:

Eh, I'm mixed about this show and a S02. Overall I liked it well enough, but I agree with others above, that David's political run isn't germain to the show really, and him having a Russian operative girlfriend is also stupid AF. Like they're trying to insert a round DRAMA! peg into a square WTF! hole. (I realize that last sentence sounded odd, but let's just go with it, shall we?

I totally know what you mean. David and the Russian operative girlfriend is from a premium or basic cable super serious drama that might get emmy nominations. This series is more of a fun network drama, maybe even light drama, but a totally different animal from some kind of dark edgy political spy drama. 

Edited by Sarah 103
On 5/8/2023 at 12:59 AM, Trini said:

So the Maguires seem to be out of the picture for now; don't like that they left it open for Connor to come back.

I didn't totally follow Emma's new set up. Is the new unit actually approved by someone high up to secretly investigate the rest of the CIA? Or is she just acting totally independently? Cause that feels like a fine line between being a criminal herself.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I didn't totally follow Emma's new set up. Is the new unit actually approved by someone high up to secretly investigate the rest of the CIA? Or is she just acting totally independently? Cause that feels like a fine line between being a criminal herself.

I'm not sure I have this right, but I think what's going on is that Emma quit the CIA altogether, and she, Mason, and their old boss (who has been reassigned to a different section) are going to investigate the guy who replaced her old boss to find out who he's covering for within the Defense Department regarding the illegal arms sales. And they're going to finance it using the crypto she stole from Maguire.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I'm not sure I have this right, but I think what's going on is that Emma quit the CIA altogether, and she, Mason, and their old boss (who has been reassigned to a different section) are going to investigate the guy who replaced her old boss to find out who he's covering for within the Defense Department regarding the illegal arms sales. And they're going to finance it using the crypto she stole from Maguire.

So it seems like he's legitimately CIA, but Emma and Mason are more like assets. Or maybe freelancers of some kind.

Where did Daphne go after all the chaos?

So, Emma has stepped into the dark side when she stole that crypto wallet from Patrick. Did she have Daphne’s blessing to use that money to setup her own covert unit? And what about Charlie? He did most of the hard work and the idea for this op came from him.

The show tried so hard to make Emma the badass CIA but unfortunately the actress couldn’t sell it. Am not really interested in the setup for S2 - Emma’s covert unit and David’s Russian spy gf. Am here just for the Nicolettis and Daphne, NOT the Hills.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I doubt Daphne would be okay with Emma taking the crypto because Daphne's all about the money. I'd wager a S02 comes with Daphne teaming up with creepo brother to reclaim the crypto. 

Edited by gingerella
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:
4 hours ago, fishcakes said:

So it seems like he's legitimately CIA, but Emma and Mason are more like assets. Or maybe freelancers of some kind.

Mason and Cas (their old boss) are still CIA, while Emma has left the CIA, she will probably head over to the FBI, since she got them a major bust.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, gingerella said:

I doubt Daphne would be okay with Emma taking the crypto because Daphne's all about the money. I'd wager a S02 comes with Daphne teaming up with creepo brother to reclaim the crypto. 

She maybe salty about the money but not enough to team with him since he tried to kill her..

Another Emma awkward scene where she let the brother get away. It is like they gave the actress no training or direction on the action sequences. They should have had Daphne save herself, or Charlie save Daphne and Emma save herself so she could look competent. They went for a big romantic dramatic sacrifice that fell flat.

From the conversation she had with Charlie it seemed as if Daphne had been smart enough to put some of her own money away but for plot purposes it would keep her in their orbit.

I wouldn't rule out the FBI lying about senior being dead and him pretending to feed them information on other criminals while plotting with his son for revenge. 

I like the show just trying to figure out how it can pivot from the Charlie Emma romance and salvage the show.

They put them together too quickly for you to believe he would risk so much especially since he had just made a mistake with another romance and her whole family plot never fit the show.

I wouldn't mind her staying but if not the love interest how does it not get in the way especially if Charlie is conning other women and flirting? Will we always get scenes like the last one? But contracts would come into play for her whole family of actors 

Renewal seems a long shot because I hear no buzz about the show but stranger things have happened 

On 5/7/2023 at 8:26 PM, AnimeMania said:

Mary Chris Wall
company-you-keep-episode-10c.jpg

Demi Castro

In the foreground they are saying that Patrick Maguire is dead. In the background they are putting handcuffs on Patrick Maguire. I don't understand.

I guess Connor Maguire is going to show up again at some point. I am not looking forward to that.

I would need to rewatch to see how the scene was blocked. That being said on cop shows which try for realistic action they handcuff dead people just in case the pronouncement of death was premature. Lessons learned from the blood of dead cops.

• Useful 1

I finished the season and mostly enjoyed it, despite not knowing what the hell was going on most of the time. 

OMG, me too! At the moment I have Covid brain, so maybe that is an excuse. I gave up trying to understand all the scams, but love all the suggested ones by name, the Two Jeffs, the Helsinki Hustle, the 6 Heathers (made up the last 2 can't remember the rest)

I also would like it better if it was just, or mostly the Nicolette family. I will miss Birdie, Charlie, Frannie and Leo and Ollie. It was fun while it lasted.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Beezella said:

OMG, me too! At the moment I have Covid brain, so maybe that is an excuse. I gave up trying to understand all the scams, but love all the suggested ones by name, the Two Jeffs, the Helsinki Hustle, the 6 Heathers (made up the last 2 can't remember the rest)

The Helsinki Hustle absolutely sounds like it could be the name of a real con/scam, but not the Six Heathers and I have no idea why I feel that strongly about it.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I became curious enough to go back and look for the names of the scams.

"What about a Montreal Merry-Go-Round like a Cowboy switch." Settled on the City Slicker Sucker Punch.

Previous episode: Sarajevo Shuffle (permanent veto by Birdie!), Kansas City shuffle (too dangerous), The Two Jeffs (failed twice before, wrong Jeffs) Third time's the charm! with the right Jeffs! Snappy fun dialogue.

• Like 1