Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E21: Whodunnit

Neptune
  • Start Topic

Hetty, who they played as not know what gay was up until the time when Isaac confessed to her, but now we know she knew her son was gay?

I'm sure Hetty knew what "gay" was, it just wasn't something people talked openly about in her era. She probably would have been in denial about her son.

• Like 6
39 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm sure Hetty knew what "gay" was, it just wasn't something people talked openly about in her era. She probably would have been in denial about her son.

I don't think they would have used the word in that meaning when she was alive, at least. From what I can find, it seems not to have really been used to mean homosexual, specifically, until the early-mid 1900s.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 5/5/2023 at 4:48 PM, eel21788 said:

Either you never read your junk mail, or you managed to escape many of the mailing lists I was trapped on.

Apparently, it goes back even further:

https://www.sciencefriday.com/articles/the-first-nigerian-prince-scam/

My junk mail went and still goes right into the trash. Never heard about the Nigerian prince scam until I got internet in the mid to late 90s. I  fully buy Pete not knowing about it and I'm willing to believe Trevor having ignored it since it wasn't about him. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm willing to believe Trevor having ignored it since it wasn't about him. 

Maybe if it had been a bikini model stuck oversees who needed the money to come back to the US to do the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition and if he sent her the money she'd get him invited to the shoot. lol

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

I wonder what the CBS brass thought of the reverse mortgage joke considering one of their biggest stars regularly hawks those products. 

Jerry O'Connell is a regular co-host on CBS's The Talk, and is now hawking a gambling app.
Seems made to order for the ghosts' next online boo boo:

ETA: Rose McIver is on The Talk this Thursday.
I wonder if Jerry O'Connell will reveal that he's a fan of Ghosts, and might have seen the reference to CBS's Blue Bloods' Tom Selleck hawking reverse mortgages as being equivalent to a Nigerian Prince scam. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)
On 5/5/2023 at 9:42 PM, possibilities said:

I would like to see more episodes that show past incidents at the mansion, and what each of the ghosts was doing at the time.

And how each new ghost was welcomed into the fold. Did any react badly at being dead, or at being a ghost? Were any in shock? Did they curse any deities, or pray to them?

On 5/6/2023 at 11:40 AM, ajsnaves said:

This would have been a perfect time to introduce a new ghost who had been sucked off by the present day.  We know they exist, since the other ghosts know about it happening.

A great idea.

On 5/5/2023 at 2:03 PM, Annber03 said:

That was another thing I liked about seeing where all the older ghosts were at that party - so many interesting little side stories one could explore about what they were up to or planning to do that night, what stuff they observed outside of everything with Alberta's death.

This, too, for other past events 

And future flashbacks (an oxymoron?) would be a great opportunity for guest stars who would like the opportunity to play a ghost for a single episode.

For example, Mark Hamill is a big fan of Ghosts, just as he is of What We Do in the Shadows (a great show about kooky vampires), where he guest starred as an equally distinctive vampire in one episode.

On 5/5/2023 at 7:09 AM, shura said:

And then we find out that Alberta has been suffering so much from not knowing who murdered her that she absolutely cannot forgive Hetty for not telling her earlier.  While it is in Alberta’s character to react to something this way, I don’t think we have seen any sign that this has been such a burden for her.  She didn’t even know she had been murdered up until a year ago and then she kept waltzing around all excited about it (like when Nancy congratulated her on the Al Capone revelation). 

On 5/5/2023 at 2:03 PM, Annber03 said:

I think a lot of her anger towards Hetty is due to the fact that for decades now, Hetty's had this information on hand, and yet anytime the topic of Alberta's death came up, Hetty just kept telling her, "No, you're wrong about how you died" over and over again. Even if Alberta may understand why Hetty kept the secret for so long, there's keeping a secret, and then there's insisting that she's wrong about how she really died when Hetty knows full well she's not wrong. Keep the secret, she's got her reasons, okay, fine, but don't try and make your friend doubt her understanding of how things really are. I can absolutely see that being the real sore spot here for Alberta, the thing that bothers her most about Hetty's behavior. 

They could have had Alberta be particularly outraged at Hetty because she had assumed that not knowing how she had died was what had prevented her from being sucked off all these years, a situation that was in Hetty's power to rectify. (Since Alberta now knows and is still here, it might seem that that wasn't true, but maybe it's her unfinished business with Hetty that's keeping her tethered.)

On 5/5/2023 at 10:02 PM, Chit Chat said:

Was that Michael Boatman as Sam's new editor? 

Yes! (I wish China Beach was streaming somewhere.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

And how each new ghost was welcomed into the fold. Did any react badly at being dead, or at being a ghost? Were any in shock? Did they curse any deities, or pray to them?

I'd love to see that!

• Like 6
On 5/6/2023 at 11:42 PM, kathyk24 said:

Where was Sass during the party? He wouldn't have missed an opportunity to see pretty girls in short skirts.

He was there. We saw him in the first flashback of the party where he was in Alberta’s dressing room with Isaac while Alberta was talking to her boyfriend Earl. When Alberta and Earl started kissing, Sass and Isaac hoped it would go further

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
On 5/4/2023 at 8:09 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

3) I was wondering why Stephanie did not recoil from the stench of teenage cholera ghost the way everyone did from the cholera ghosts in this episode.  Inconsistent.

She's used to being near teenage boys? The one year I had PE in high school it killed me that I didn't have time to shower after Gym and had to go through the rest of the day all funky, but most of my classmates seemed to think nothing of it.

• Like 4
On 5/5/2023 at 9:20 AM, basil said:

I'm not sure I'm following you. If Hetty is to be believed, Hetty's son Thomas didn't end the relationship with Alberta's "bootlegger boyfriend", Earl. Earl ended the relationship, and that's why Thomas killed Alberta.

Was Earl Alberta's manager? Also? Earl is "not gay"? He is at the very least bisexual.

I don't understand Alberta's outrage. She's incredibly capricious. She goes from being distressed and unbelieving at the idea that her sister Teresa might have killed her, to being thrilled that Capone did it - then deeply depressed and resigned when she believed her sister had murdered her after all. Then incredibly angry at Hetty for telling the truth - all in the space of, what - ten minutes?

I'd have been more relieved at the revelation that my beloved sister hadn't done me in than that it was a long time in coming. Alberta just looks petty being so upset by this. She wants to be mad at someone, let it be Earl, who cheated on her and knew his boyfriend was plotting to kill her. 

Loved Alberta's cornrows!

Alberta should be upset with Thor Sass and Isaac. They could of explained what happened a long time ago and they didn't. Hetty was ashamed of Thomas' behavior so I understand why she was silent but the other ghosts have no excuse. Thor and Isaac could of used their powers to distract Thomas.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Alberta should be upset with Thor Sass and Isaac. They could of explained what happened a long time ago and they didn't. Hetty was ashamed of Thomas' behavior so I understand why she was silent but the other ghosts have no excuse. Thor and Isaac could of used their powers to distract Thomas.

I don't think any of them knew Thomas had poisoned her, or witnessed him setting the bottle in front of her door. I think Hetty was the only one who was witness to that situation and knew what was really going on with Thomas that night. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

The timeline makes no sense.   Hetty is wearing 1870-80s clothing.  She looks like she was in her 40-50s when she died.

Thomas appeared to be in his 40s in 1927.  Yet he would have to have born in the 1880s, himself.  Unless Hetty died giving birth or  Thomas was a little boy.  And I don’t get that impression.

The writers should have made him her grandson.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, roamyn said:

The timeline makes no sense.   Hetty is wearing 1870-80s clothing.  She looks like she was in her 40-50s when she died.

Thomas appeared to be in his 40s in 1927.  Yet he would have to have born in the 1880s, himself.  Unless Hetty died giving birth or  Thomas was a little boy.  And I don’t get that impression.

The writers should have made him her grandson.

We have a 50 percent chance of finding out how Hettie died this season, either her or Sash.

I seem to remember seeing a flashback with Thomas as a young boy and Hettie watching on as a ghost.

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 2/17/2024 at 11:31 AM, kav said:

I seem to remember seeing a flashback with Thomas as a young boy and Hettie watching on as a ghost.

He wasn't a young boy, unless there's another one I'm forgetting (I didn't complete my re-watch); the flashback I recall was him as a young man, trying to decide whether to marry someone (Ghost Hetty told him not to, Thor tried to send him a negative sign by messing with the lights, and Thomas mistook that for the go-ahead).  She said to Sam at one point (explaining why she nagged her like a mother) that she outsourced the raising of her children to others and then didn't have the chance to guide them as adults.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 2/17/2024 at 2:01 AM, roamyn said:

Hetty died around the turn of the century or the late 1890's at the earliest I think.

• Useful 1