Type keyword(s) to search

Ciao House - General Discussion

aghst
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, aghst said:

They didn't even elaborate on why the final two guys won.

Especially weird since they went crazy for Stikxz's lemon granita and said it was the best course of the night.  Then boom, she is eliminated.

I am 100% certain they'll bring Hanna back as a possible sous chef for the finalists.

4 hours ago, aghst said:

They didn't even elaborate on why the final two guys won.

Especially weird since they went crazy for Stikxz's lemon granita and said it was the best course of the night.  Then boom, she is eliminated.

I am 100% certain they'll bring Hanna back as a possible sous chef for the finalists.

Phouc screwed over his team by using onion in the cabbage rolls as well as leeks. Styxx had said no onions because she wanted to use peperoncini, but he used onions anyway and it would have been too many ingredients. Everybody questioned why they used two redundant ingredients and the dish was bland. 
Nobody especially liked the mushroom tempura either. 
On Austin’s team, they weren’t crazy about the scotch egg, but loved the other two courses. I think that’s why they won.

• Like 6
On 6/10/2024 at 11:21 AM, Trey said:

I really wanted some cat cameos.

Although we had to wait until almost the end of the first hour, they did make up for last week.

My cat, however, is still feeling snubbed. He wouldn't even come in the room while I was watching. He did decide to join me afterwards for the Lifetime movie. He seems to be finished with Ciao House. Maybe not enough seafood?

• LOL 6
2 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

Nobody especially liked the mushroom tempura either. 

I've never seen tempura eaten as a finger food before.

Is that normal?

Styxx does well with spices, but everytime she stated "that's why they call me the Spice Queen" I kept wondering who, exactly, calls her that?

I wish these last challenges had just allowed the contestants to make great dishes instead of jumping through all of the hoops.  Both teams are up a lot of time just trying to figure out dishes with only five ingredients.  I know producers think it's entertaining to have contestants scramble and pressured.  I just like to see good/creative dishes and, in this show at least, cute kitties.

I think Austin and Ivan are strong contestants and look forward to seeing some wonderful food in the finale (and, please, don't bring back Hannah).

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Saw a commercial for this show featuring many of the chefs who exited early.  For instance it featured the clip of Hannah saying she had to deal with being attractive on this contest.

This aired during the 2 last episodes of Next Baking Master so after the penultimate episode of Ciao House season 2 aired the day before.

Maybe they were hoping to draw in viewers who hadn’t been watching this season already. 

Maybe. This viewer tunes in to put faces to names, then follows here. Because it’s more entertaining. They somehow succeed in making me not watch a cooking show in Italy!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, aghst said:

it featured the clip of Hannah saying she had to deal with being attractive on this contest.

We've already established that she has delusions of grandeur and delusions of persecution.

How did she manage to pass the psychiatric evaluation to get on this show?

• Like 3

I’m wondering that if Hannah is a sous how she will change things so the finals is all about her.  Same to be said how critical she will be if she is eating the food with Alex and Gabe  

I realize she is going the extra mile to be seen and recognized and set up future jobs/shows but I really would like to see a good finale for Ivan and Austin without the other crap.  

I’ve really liked this group. 

• Like 4

Yeah... don't need to see Hannah and her delusions on my TV again.  

I'm hoping Ivan wins.  He seems more humble and less arrogant than Austin.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, eel2178 said:

We've already established that she has delusions of grandeur and delusions of persecution.

How did she manage to pass the psychiatric evaluation to get on this show?

Psychiatric evaluation?

Oh you sweet child ...

• LOL 12
On 6/18/2024 at 6:06 AM, aghst said:

Saw a commercial for this show featuring many of the chefs who exited early.  For instance it featured the clip of Hannah saying she had to deal with being attractive on this contest.

This aired during the 2 last episodes of Next Baking Master so after the penultimate episode of Ciao House season 2 aired the day before.

Maybe they were hoping to draw in viewers who hadn’t been watching this season already. 

?

(edited)

There was a preview for the finale. Booted chefs are returning, presumably to be sous chefs to the finalists. But Alex did say something about "getting back in the competition," so we'll see how that shakes out. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 1

Signs you have watched too much Ciao House - (mild political content). Had on the news and they announce that there was a coin flip for the debate. Me: So, who's deciding which meal to cook and who gets first choice of their team...

• LOL 15

I thought Austin's meal looked far more appetizing.  But, I don't like duck breast.   Ivan's duck breast looked raw and fatty to me.

I fell asleep shortly after the eliminated chefs returned then woke up and Zev was still there.  I wondered whether I was still dreaming, then realized he was still cooking.  He actually showed mad skillz.  Loved his shrimp aioli.

Hannah never bothered me as much as she did a lot of people, but tonight she was downright delusional:

Alex: the cauliflower took over and overwhelmed the grapes.

Gabe: Your duck was undercooked.

Hannah:  Woo!  I didn't get any negative comments.

• Like 8
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
6 hours ago, buttersister said:

A vague grand prize! Was this show developed by the marketing department? A cooking competition in Italy—people love Italy and Italian food—we can cross-promote with HHI!

What a waste of a good idea.

Gabe was actually featured on an episode of House Hunters.  He was searching for a villa in Italy.  For this show!  Now that's cross promotion!

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Gabe was actually featured on an episode of House Hunters.  He was searching for a villa in Italy.  For this show!  Now that's cross promotion!

Twice! They did the same on HHI with Gabe looking for a house in Season 1.

• Like 2

I liked the finale.  

These three men actually not only worked on their own dishes but were willing to help each other when questions were asked of them.  Not only were they were competing against each other but they remained true to their personalities that we’ve seen during the season. 

Congratulations to Ivan!

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I much prefer watching the chefs cook on their own vs the team set up. I wish this show was more like Project Runway where you mostly work on your own with a few team challenges thrown in.

As long as Zev didn't win I'm good with the result. 😄

• Like 8
8 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Does anyone have any idea how long the "trip across Italy learning from masters" lasts?  It almost wouldn't surprise me if it was only a week, but I'm guessing it's a month at most.

I did a search on Season 1 winner Natalia "Boa" Rosaio. I found an interview she did with the Fox affiliate in Chicago, where she lives, and she said she had a choice of the training in Italy or taking cash, a little over $40,000. She chose the training. She didn't say how long it was.

• Useful 7

So they kept all the contestants around the they had a little party at the end toasting the winner.

I don't recall if they did that in season 1.

They were generally very friendly with each other though some of the votes were tough and the ones voted out took it hard.

Hanna especially was LIVID when voted off.

But she and everyone else put on happy faces for this return cook and then the little congratulatory party afterwards.

Gabe said of Austin's main dish that he should have done some editing because there were too many elements and they're "developing" many flavors.

To my untrained palate, a lot of the descriptions sounded good but seemed like too many things going on.  There could have been a lot of editing throughout the season.

Alex also said Italian cooking is 90% ingredients.  I also question these Italian grand masters that the winner could train with.

Italian cuisine doesn't have this centuries of tradition, not like France.  In the immediate aftermath of WWII, all of Europe but especially Italy had all kinds of food deserts.  Italian cuisine took off as a global brand more in the late '50s and '60s and the emphasis on quality oils and cheeses started once the economic situation improved a lot in the post war years.

So the fancy plating and refined sauces and such are not really Italian thing.  The essence of Italian food comes from a small trattoria, though there obviously are Michelin Star restaurants and 5-star hotels which will happily serve you very expensive meals too.

Ivan should take the cash, unless training is going to lead him to job opportunities that he otherwise wouldn't have.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, susannot said:

He actually showed mad skillz.  Loved his shrimp aioli.

I don't understand the effort that goes into something like that then serving only one drop of it on the plate separate from the rest of the meal.

That is my pet peeve with all "gourmet" dining. If I order something, I expect there to be enough of it to compliment the whole dish.

I feel the same way about being told I'm being served "spring peas" only to find out there is a scant tablespoon of baby food spread across my plate as a decoration. I want enough peas to fulfill one of my daily servings of vegetables not something I have to lick off the plate for next to nothing in nutritional value.

• Like 6
  • LOL 4

Gabe was actually featured on an episode of House Hunters.  He was searching for a villa in Italy.  For this show!  Now that's cross promotion!

Yes, that’s what I was referring to with my HHI crack. Twice, and no doubt again, if there’s a season three.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, aghst said:

Italian cuisine doesn't have this centuries of tradition, not like France.  In the immediate aftermath of WWII, all of Europe but especially Italy had all kinds of food deserts.  Italian cuisine took off as a global brand more in the late '50s and '60s and the emphasis on quality oils and cheeses started once the economic situation improved a lot in the post war years.

I remember in the 1970s pizza that was served in the US had no resemblance to anything that was made in Italy. 

12 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Hannah never bothered me as much as she did a lot of people, but tonight she was downright delusional:

Which wasn't a first for her. I do wonder if her ears are even connected to her brain (that is assuming she actually has a brain).

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
11 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Yes, that’s what I was referring to with my HHI crack. Twice, and no doubt again, if there’s a season three.

There cannot be a third season unless they choose another villa with resident cats.

Their cameos are what held my interest in the whole show.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
37 minutes ago, aghst said:

Alex also said Italian cooking is 90% ingredients.

Isn't that true of any type of cooking?

It doesn't matter how good your techniques are if you're dealing with inferior ingredients such as a cut of meat that won't get tender no matter what you do to it, produce that is already past its prime of ripeness or dairy or oil that has gone rancid.

• Like 3

So next season, if there is one could be Piedmont, Veneto, Lombardy or Lazio (Rome).

Or maybe Sicily.

They could do all of Italy like Searching for Italy was trying to do until it was canceled.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Not to mention when Alex was picking that grape seed out of her teeth. I was laughing so hard.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
22 hours ago, aghst said:

So next season, if there is one could be Piedmont, Veneto, Lombardy or Lazio (Rome).

Or maybe Sicily.

They could do all of Italy like Searching for Italy was trying to do until it was canceled.

Loved Searching for Italy with Stanley Tucci! 

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, eclectcmoi said:

And she seemed to have quite the attitude with the pouts and the crossed arms.  I wasn't impressed.  

Was this how Chef Tiana was on this show?  Just asking — I’m curious if Hanna may have had an influence.  

Was the episode before or after Ciao House?  I tried to find it and couldn’t. 

I really liked how most of the chefs really were team players but recognized that it was still a competition.  

Edited by Ellee
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Ellee said:

Was this how Chef Tiana was on this show?  Just asking — I’m curious if Hanna may have had an influence.

I really liked how most of the chefs really were team players and recognized that it was still a competition.  

I didn't notice Tiana much honestly on Ciao House.  It doesn't seem like she was around that long.  Her singularity on Beat Bobby Flay really showed her attitude though.  

• Like 2

Miami Chef Ivan Barros Wins Season 2 of Ciao House on Food Network
By Rachel Costa   June 24, 2024
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/restaurants/miami-chef-ivan-barros-wins-season-2-food-network-ciao-house-20401475 

But how exactly did the rising Miami chef get here? Chef Barros' journey to win the show began when he was living in Los Angeles in 2023. While preparing for the show, he serendipitously secured his spot as Amara's new executive chef. Barros recalls getting his dream job at Amara at Paraiso in Edgewater and in less than 24 hours being on a plane to Italy to start filming the show. Somehow, the talented and determined chef was able to make it all work. "From the moment I arrived in Italy I was locked in," Chef Barros tells New Times. "It definitely requires a lot of mental toughness I'd say, and a lot of composure because you're being filmed almost 24/7. I've always kind of shied away from doing things like this, but here we are. Honestly, I wanted to prove to myself that I can actually cook, that maybe I can win something. I mean, at the very least it was a free trip to Italy, which sounded pretty awesome."

Although the chef is self-proclaimed to be shy, this wasn't the chef's first taste of being on TV. (He was featured on an episode of a Cooking Channel show.) Although he was only featured in only one episode and was quickly eliminated from said series, he remembers getting emotional while talking to his parents on the drive home. Despite getting his hopes crushed, his parents believed in him and were keen on not letting him doubt his skills. This is what eventually led him to Ciao House.
"Whoa, now this is real, I can actually win. Alright, it's time to turn it up a little bit," recalls Barros of the moment he realized he had a high chance of winning. Chef Barros says that's what was running through his mind the moment they announced he made it to the finals. "Anything you do in life there's always the question, 'Am I good enough? Is this good enough?' Making it to the final two was just sheer excitement of validation. Throughout the season, I got a lot of high praise for the dishes I had a hand in, so, I've gained more confidence in myself, and making it to the final was kind of the seal of approval, like, I belong here with everybody else."
"It was just the three of us in the kitchen, but you would think there were 20 people," he says reflecting on that day with nostalgia. "It was so chaotic. I had this whole dish planned out in my head, but time flew by so I had to pivot. I might have sweated entirely through my shirt, and I might've burned my hand a little bit, and I think I put something to the side and it fell. It was just crazy." Despite the chaos, he still managed to rise above and hone in on what the chefs had been learning throughout the entire season: simplicity and paying homage to the ingredients. "I feel like that lends itself to the entire trip of Italy, just focusing on certain things and not trying to do too much," he says. "It definitely paid off, but that dish was insane, I remember like it was yesterday."
"First and foremost, I did it for myself," he explains. "I've sacrificed so much in this career, as so many chefs all over the world do. We have 12 to 16-hour days, seven days a week. Every day all you do is come home, shower, sleep, wake up, and go to work. You work from the moment the sun rises to the moment the sun sets, you're in the kitchen 24/7. You do it [cooking in a kitchen] when you're excited, you do it when you're miserable. You do it when you're happy, you do it when you're sad. At the end of the day, you still have to do it if you really love it."

Behind him are the people who have always supported his career. "I did it for myself but also for my girlfriend, for my family. My parents who supported me all the time, my father who's an unprofessional chef and lives vicariously through me, he's so proud and he's so happy. As my parents watch the show, they're super excited, concerned, and involved. I did it for Miami, for my city."
"I don't know what will happen after the episode airs," he admits. "So far, I've been embraced very nicely by so many people online, which is amazing so I'm just super excited. I'm just ready to receive whatever's coming my way, I busted my hump. I hope it opens the doors to more things, I hope more people realize that I'm the chef at Amara, and I hope more people come to Amara. I feel like now the sky's the limit."

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 3
  • Love 3

The menus at Ivan's Miami restaurant is at www.amaraatparadiso.com.

Seems to get middling reviews, very high prices.

There must be a lot of competition down there for high-priced places overlooking the water.

• Useful 1
On 6/25/2024 at 7:55 PM, eclectcmoi said:

I didn't notice Tiana much honestly on Ciao House.  It doesn't seem like she was around that long.  Her singularity on Beat Bobby Flay really showed her attitude though.  

I saw that episode. I think she made a Filipino dish in homage to her roots. I attribute part of her attitude to the producers. The contestants are encouraged to dial up the confidence/cockiness when challenging Bobby. Many of them go overboard.