Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Not Just Yet

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I wonder what the reasoning was behind airing most of this season's episodes out of order? 

I could actually get behind Lexi and Edward getting together. An unexpected pairing, but I liked their interaction in tonight's episode and I think they'd make a fun an interesting couple.

But of course the show is pushing for Nell and Edward because why be original?

Here's hoping for a season 2…that airs in order. lol

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 8

This show got better as it went along, and ended the season strong. I hope it comes back and continues improving.

I never would have guessed Edward and Lexi would be a good mix, but I think it's because he's not at all afraid of her, and her obnoxiousness doesn't hit whatever his personal vulnerabilities are. I am still unclear whether she's actually capable of liking anyone, or if she just likes sparring. I guess she likes Sam. And she seemed genuinely to care about the adoption. Hm. 

I didn't think you could say yes to an adoption or foster placement without sign off from your partner, so it's good that Lexi got in touch with the hubs. Though, if they've been calling all day to find a placement, I wonder why the guys were so low on the list that they got called so late. I wonder how old the kids are. I admit, I'm more interested in that storyline than most of what they've done all season.

Do we think Nell really was imagining the ghosts? It seemed to me that they meant for us to think they are real, and not just her imagination. And that they went away when she got back together officially with her ex because that meant she was shutting herslf down, like Edward said.

I think it was this ep and not the previous, but I loved the discussion of the cast iron pan. LOL. But also: I'm serious! 

I hope they give us more Cricket in future seasons.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

Do we think Nell really was imagining the ghosts? It seemed to me that they meant for us to think they are real, and not just her imagination. And that they went away when she got back together officially with her ex because that meant she was shutting herslf down, like Edward said.

I feel like the ghosts gave Nell pieces of information she could not have come up with independently, didn't they? I feel like that was at least the case with Monty...

• Like 9
2 hours ago, RainbowBrite said:

I feel like the ghosts gave Nell pieces of information she could not have come up with independently, didn't they? I feel like that was at least the case with Monty...

She saw Jesse's ghost for an entire night before she realized he was dead and saw she'd been assigned his obituary so it definitely seems like they're aiming more for the ghosts being real.

• Like 7
  • Useful 3

The follow up was not so witty and engaging as ep. 12, but it was a logical ending overall. They did engage me enough to wonder what may be coming, but overall, I hope it’s better.

1 hour ago, RainbowBrite said:

The premise of the main character losing their supernatural powers due to a romantic entanglement reminds me of the show Maggie, which ended Season 1 on that cliffhanger and was not renewed.

I'm still sad about that. That show was SO GOOD 😭

• Like 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, RainbowBrite said:

The premise of the main character losing their supernatural powers due to a romantic entanglement reminds me of the show Maggie, which ended Season 1 on that cliffhanger and was not renewed.

There is a good reason. Maggie Mull (Martin Mull, who plays Monty, daughter) created Maggie and writes and produces Not Dead Yet 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Useful 2
15 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

There is a good reason. Maggie Mull (Martin Mull, who plays Monty, daughter) created Maggie and writes and produces Not Dead Yet 

No way!! It's amazing that I could sense that. I don't usually watch shows with a very critical eye for that type of thing. She obviously has a distinct and clear voice in her writing. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

Thanks, I did not know that, but it makes sense now. I enjoyed both shows. Very tonally alike. "Maggie" was kind of a "dead show walking" at ABC, and got shuffled off to Hulu for a burnoff.  So it's cancellation wasn't really surprising.  Glad this show seems to be doing better.

• Like 2
On 5/3/2023 at 10:22 PM, funnygirl said:

I wonder what the reasoning was behind airing most of this season's episodes out of order? 

I could actually get behind Lexi and Edward getting together. An unexpected pairing, but I liked their interaction in tonight's episode and I think they'd make a fun an interesting couple.

But of course the show is pushing for Nell and Edward because why be original?

I never would have known the episodes weren't shown in their intended order.  Do you know (or have a link to) the original order?  Nothing ever seemed out of place for me.

I really didn't see a Nell/Edward push from a romantic perspective.  I loved that the friendship grew, but I didn't ever sense a romantic connection between the two.  Now, Lexi and Edward, yes.  In the last episode (or maybe second to last) each of them gave the other the once over, and the last scene between Lexi and Edward seemed to be leaning in that direction for me.

On 5/4/2023 at 2:44 PM, RainbowBrite said:

which ended Season 1 on that cliffhanger and was not renewed.

Is this for certain?  If so, that sucks.  This was a fun, light fluff show.  Not a lot of that out there right now.  And they got some great guest stars.  Any chance Hulu will pick it up as a "Hulu Original"?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

Is this for certain?  If so, that sucks.  This was a fun, light fluff show.  Not a lot of that out there right now.  And they got some great guest stars.  Any chance Hulu will pick it up as a "Hulu Original"?

@RainbowBrite was talking about the show “Maggie”. No word yet on the future of “Not Dead Yet”.

Not sure when it happened, but Edward is my favorite character! I’d… be ok with an Edward/Nell pairing ☺️

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, chaifan said:

I never would have known the episodes weren't shown in their intended order.  Do you know (or have a link to) the original order?  Nothing ever seemed out of place for me.

I carefully watched the show looking for continuity errors from the episodes being out of order and I think they must have edited/re-shot some scenes to remove any trace of rearranging the original order. The release date of the show was pushed back several months, maybe this is why it happened. I also think that is the original cut, there was way more drama/episodes about Dennis trying to obtain a child, I feel the show was better for trimming down that storyline. I would say the current episode order is the correct way to watch the show.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, SilverLake0315 said:

I’d… be ok with an Edward/Nell pairing ☺️

Personally, I'd rather see Edward/Lexi.  Lexi was very "one note" at the start, and they've mellowed her out a bit.  But I think an Edward/Lexi pairing could really improve Lexi from a character standpoint.  I love Lauren Ash, and I loved that last scene with her and Edward exchanging barbs.  I want more of that! 

I think an Edward/Nell pairing wouldn't last, and then they'd be stuck with either being contentious roommates (contriving some reason that neither could move out), or moving Nell out, which would result in less Edward. 

My guess is, neither will happen.  😁

Oh, and my 2 cents on the "are the ghosts real or imagined" debate...  I'd say real.  Most have given Nell actual real information to use for their obits, or to connect with someone, that Nell wouldn't otherwise have.  Monty is the most obvious - he pointed out Cricket, and has told her a lot of things she wouldn't have otherwise known.  I didn't know that Martin Mull's daughter was involved in the production.  Does that make Martin a nepo-dad?  😆

• Like 6
On 5/3/2023 at 11:24 PM, possibilities said:

Though, if they've been calling all day to find a placement, I wonder why the guys were so low on the list that they got called so late.

Maybe because they have zero experience, and it's 2 kids.  Some of the other couples or singles may have fostered before, perhaps even more than one child at a time.

• Like 3
On 5/7/2023 at 12:39 PM, chaifan said:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/not-dead-yet/listings/

If shown in its original order, the last 2 episodes would have been Not Well Yet and Not Scattered Yet.  If Not Well Yet had been shown after this episode, it would have been pretty clear that Nell and Edward's hug in this episode did not lead to romance. And they probably intended Not Scattered Yet to be the finale because Cricket gets closure when she scatters Monty's ashes, and we thus would get to see Martin Mull in both the first and last episodes  of the show.  Instead, they decided to give Nell closure with Phillip in the finale.  I think it was a good choice.  (I haven't analyzed the earlier episodes to see what differences the original order would have made.)

• Like 4
(edited)

This show has improved quite a bit from the first episode! I liked this, it found its footing.

Playing musical chairs with the episode order was definitely a... choice - I would've preferred to bookend the season with Monty, but hey. With the weird episode order, they have to have had some reshoots in order to avoid continuity errors - did we ever learn how Nell left her closet office, or was that left on the cutting room floor?

I hope that Nell ends up with anyone other than Edward - I do not want those two together and it seems like the show keeps trying to force them together.

If we are debating if the ghosts are real or imagined, I am going for real.

Now I hope we get a season 2 (it's looking more and more likely due to ABC cancelling everything else)

Edited by bros402
  • Like 1
  • Love 2