Type keyword(s) to search

Health and Wellness Chit-Chat: Your Primary Care Topic

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

So I have my first ever colonoscopy scheduled on the 15th.  I have been doing the "Fit" test (which is like Cologuard) for years but I know I need the full colonoscopy to find and fix polyps.  The problem is that I am super-sensitive to everything and have had problems with OTC laxatives in the past.  The procedure center wants me to get Dulcolax and take 4 tablets the day before and then drink magnesium citrate.  I am worried about the Dulcolax because I've avoided OTC laxatives other than the all-natural kind for decades because of intense bad reactions, like nausea, etc.  I remember feeling awful for days afterward on just one dose.  That bad.  I am not as worried about the Magnesium Citrate because I take magnesium daily and don't know of any reason why that would cause a bad reaction. 

I am also worried about everything else to do with the procedure.  I have had surgeries and 3 endoscopies in the past so you'd think I wouldn't be as worried about this, but even under the best of circumstances it takes me longer than most people to bounce back from anesthesia. 

So anyway I am petrified at this point.  I have a call into the nurse about this and hope she can help calm me down or give me an alternate laxative.

Any kind of advice or support would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Oy. We really must be related, LOL. 
Being a very fortunate stage IV colon cancer survivor (including that I never had to have a colostomy bag) I've had more colonoscopies than I can count.
Okay, that's a fib. More than I care to count.
I too have the problem with the nausea from the prep, plus I get painful hemorrhoids from it too.
At least this last time I got the pain part resolved by using cortisone ointment for a week before. Too bad nobody suggested that years ago, but maybe I was too shy to complain about it. 

This list includes the best (for me) tips for getting the prep down, which is essential:

• Split up the prep: It is becoming more common for people to have half the mixture the night before their procedure and the remaining half the following morning.
  • Sip the drink: Doctors often advise people to drink the mixture gradually throughout the day. This can be especially helpful if the drink causes nausea.
  • Chill it: Some people report that the solution tastes worse when warm, so chilling it may help.
  • Use a straw: Drinking it with a straw can help the mixture bypass the taste buds.
  • Take a break: Anyone who experiences nausea or vomiting should take a 30-minute break before trying the drink again. If a person vomits, they should drink as much as possible and tell a healthcare professional.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/colonoscopy-prep-drink#tips-for-drinking-it

It can be amusing to have the person who drives you home tell you later all the funny things you said while still under the influence of the anesthesia. 
🥰

(edited)
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Oy. We really must be related, LOL. 

Oy vey, yeah.  Thank you SO MUCH for this!!!

I am in a rush to go out right now but one question so far -

Can you recommend a cortisone ointment?  Prep H or something else?  Because I'm afraid of that reaction too as I've gotten flare ups of hemorrhoids from anything that irritates down there.

Also they are making me take 4 tabs of Dulcolax first the morning before then the magnesium citrate in the evening.  Then another bottle of magnesium citrate 5 hours before (which will have to be in the middle of the night, ugh).  That seems like a lot, enough to make me sick as a dog.  And there's not enough time to just sit and sip it all day.  What do you think?

Edited by Yeah No
3 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Can you recommend a cortisone ointment?  Prep H or something else?  Because I'm afraid of that reaction too as I've gotten flare ups of hemorrhoids from anything that irritates down there.

I use generic hydrocortisone 10 ointment with no fragrance.
It can be hard to find the ointment these days. The cream is more popular.

5 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Also they are making me take 4 tabs of Dulcolax first the morning before then the magnesium citrate in the evening.  Then another bottle of magnesium citrate 5 hours before (which will have to be in the middle of the night, ugh).  That seems like a lot, enough to make me sick as a dog.  And there's not enough time to just sit and sip it all day.  What do you think?

Talk to a nurse about it. They'll probably tell you it's okay to space it out longer by starting earlier. That's what she told me. But get the specifics.
I didn't take any laxative before the prep, but I tend to be pretty "loose."

I'm so glad you are asking about this.
I'm putting the info into my calendar for my next colonoscopy in 2028, because no way would I remember it.

I had to do the prep twice:  once for a colonoscopy and once again for abdominal (gynecological) surgery.  I got the prescription mixture movi-prep.  It was kind of yucky tasting--they try to mask the chemical flavor with lemon--but it didn't make me nauseous.  It may be that I'm just not susceptible to that reaction.  I also recall that I was told to fast and drink only clear liquids the whole day before starting the prep in the late afternoon.

For a second abdominal surgery I begged to be released from the laxative regimen, so they said I could fast for two days with clear liquids only.  That was definitely more endurable.  That's probably not viable for a colonoscopy.  Maybe they would allow people to fast for three days . . . 

I read recently that they now have a pill you take to cleanse your system. When I had my first colonoscopy, about 20 years ago, I was given a Rx for a pill that I took. It worked perfectly (but I did have that ear ringing sensation for a few minutes). By the time I had my second (& hopefully last) procedure in 2018, they were anti that pill for some reason & I had to drink the solution. So it's interesting--maybe they improved the original pill, or created a new one. Good luck @Yeah No not @EtheltoTillie (made a mistake & can't delete EtheltoTillie's name). While you're prepping, be thinking of a fun reward(s) for yourself. You'll be out for a few minutes during the procedure and then, presto! you're awake & back to normal 🤗

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I read recently that they now have a pill you take to cleanse your system. When I had my first colonoscopy, about 20 years ago, I was given a Rx for a pill that I took. It worked perfectly (but I did have that ear ringing sensation for a few minutes). By the time I had my second (& hopefully last) procedure in 2018, they were anti that pill for some reason & I had to drink the solution. So it's interesting--maybe they improved the original pill, or created a new one.

When I had a colonoscopy last March, I’d read about the pill, but they said Nope👎 because people weren’t drinking enough liquids with the pill, and I think maybe having a stroke or something equally terrible.
I’d gladly sign a waiver to get the pill option, and I’d dutifully drink all recommended quantities of clear liquids (water), and then some. 
But still, sadly for me here in western NY state: Nope👎

I’m pretty sure the pill protocol is permitted in Europe — and possibly even Canada.  

Of course, things could have changed in the last year.

There was a low-dose liquid that had just a slight bitter taste (no sweet-salty ick) available in 2016 that was perfect for me. 
But a year or so later it was sadly no longer available for the same reasons as the pill — people were not complying with the requirements to drink enough liquids.

• Useful 2
10 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

It also helps to eat a low fiber diet a few days before you need to start the prep…

Yes. That’s actually been considered part of the “prep” for at least my last few colonoscopies. No nuts, seeds, fiber, etc. for (I think?) 4 days prior.
But I do get to enjoy white bread toast and pasta guilt-free.😋

And then for the day before, sometimes they can be more strict about what “clear” liquids are. Sometimes honey in your tea is permitted and sometimes it’s taboo.🤷🏻‍♀️

I can’t have those bullion cubes they permit because they have MSG (mono-sodium glutamate) which triggers migraines, and the natural broths aren’t “clear.” 😕

I have colitis, colonoscopy prep is nothing in comparison to my worst bouts.   The worst part was being so hungry. 

I don't even bother with the anaesthesia. The procedure is a little uncomfortable without pain meds, but not unbearable. 

• Hugs 2
18 minutes ago, Quof said:

I don't even bother with the anaesthesia. The procedure is a little uncomfortable without pain meds, but not unbearable. 

Have you had polyps removed during your colonoscopy?

• Like 1

The first 2 colonoscopies I had, I had the liquid prep.  For the last one in 2022, they gave me the pills.  I hated the pills.  They're horse pills and I had real issues with them. I got them all down, and drank all the liquids I was supposed to, but I'm asking for the liquid for my next one in 2025. 

Just saying, if you have an issue with ginormous pills, those are ginormous. 

(edited)

The most recent prep I had was Ducolax (pills - very small, definitely not ginormous) followed by 2 doses of miralax mixed in to Gatorade. It wasn’t horrible, but the appointment timing left me very little sleep time the night before. In hindsight I would probably opt for a late afternoon appointment rather than first thing in the morning. 

I did some independent research and found it was a good idea to limit fiber for a few days prior, but my doc’s instructions didn’t include that. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I use generic hydrocortisone 10 ointment with no fragrance.
It can be hard to find the ointment these days. The cream is more popular.

I think I have that in the ointment.  I have to look and hope it's not too old.  I bought some cream today with Lidocaine in it too.

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

ITalk to a nurse about it. They'll probably tell you it's okay to space it out longer by starting earlier. That's what she told me. But get the specifics.
I didn't take any laxative before the prep, but I tend to be pretty "loose."

I spoke to a nurse and she recommended taking half the Dulcolax to see how I do with it then if I'm OK take the other half a couple of hours later.  She said she would also speak with the doctor and ask if he has any alternate recommendation.  He's a great doctor so I'm hopeful he has a creative solution.  I'm hoping he'll switch me to Miralax because that seems to be better tolerated by people that are sensitive to stuff like that.  The nurse said that Miralax tends to take longer to work.  So maybe I'll just start sooner?  I'll see what he says.

• Hugs 1
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

When I had a colonoscopy last March, I’d read about the pill, but they said Nope👎 because people weren’t drinking enough liquids with the pill, and I think maybe having a stroke or something equally terrible.

Interesting, I plan to drink like crazy.  I bought orange and lemon-lime Gatorade today to drink per their recommendation so as to prevent dehydration.  My husband had a colonoscopy last Summer and had the pills with no magnesium citrate (he went to a different procedure center than I will).  I don't remember him drinking that much but he was fine.  Nothing bothers him.  They found two polyps.  One kind of big and one small.

I just spoke to another friend who said he was fine with the Dulcolax but it was the magnesium citrate that bothered him.  Oh joy.

Speaking of being a colon cancer survivor, I know two people in that category.  My husband's sister's husband and a good friend of mine.  Both were caught very early and neither wears a colostomy.  You are all very fortunate.  The only reason they caught my brother in law's is because he had pain because the tumor was resting on his bile duct and blocking the bile from going from into the stomach.  At first they thought he had gallstones but that wasn't it.  

There was a low-dose liquid that had just a slight bitter taste (no sweet-salty ick) available in 2016 that was perfect for me. 
But a year or so later it was sadly no longer available for the same reasons as the pill — people were not complying with the requirements to drink enough liquids.

I don't get that, why does taking Dulcolax and drinking 20 oz. of magnesium citrate make people drink enough and the pills only version doesn't?  If they drank only that it's only 20 oz., not that much.  That makes no sense to me.  I think another friend of mine had an all liquid prep once.  She told me about how much she was expected to drink of it.  It was a LOT.

• Like 1

Yes. That’s actually been considered part of the “prep” for at least my last few colonoscopies. No nuts, seeds, fiber, etc. for (I think?) 4 days prior.
But I do get to enjoy white bread toast and pasta guilt-free.😋

And then for the day before, sometimes they can be more strict about what “clear” liquids are. Sometimes honey in your tea is permitted and sometimes it’s taboo.🤷🏻‍♀️

I can’t have those bullion cubes they permit because they have MSG (mono-sodium glutamate) which triggers migraines, and the natural broths aren’t “clear.” 😕

Yeah they gave me all those recommendations about low fiber, but curiously nothing about seeds or nuts, although I will avoid them.  They did say to stay away from fruit with skin and  blue/red/purple liquids.  No mention of cloudy broth.  I have a chicken bone broth my husband bought by mistake but I don't think it's clear enough.  And bullion unless it's salt free is too salty for me.   I'll have to go back to the drawing board on that one.  Nothing about honey in tea either, although I won't need it.  They just said no dairy and eat no whole grain breads or pasta - only white refined flour breads and pasta on the week before.

7 hours ago, Quof said:

I have colitis, colonoscopy prep is nothing in comparison to my worst bouts.   The worst part was being so hungry. 

My first endoscopy I did without anesthesia.  It was a little uncomfortable but not too bad.  But my other endoscopies were more involved (taking out stones stuck in my bile duct) so I didn't want to be awake for that and they strongly recommended against it anyway.  I can't imagine doing a colonoscopy without being sedated.  I'm very sensitive down there (shock, surprise, right?).  I would likely tense up and they say that would interfere with doing the procedure.

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

The most recent prep I had was Ducolax (pills - very small, definitely not ginormous) followed by 2 doses of miralax mixed in to Gatorade. It wasn’t horrible, but the appointment timing left me very little sleep time the night before. In hindsight I would probably opt for a late afternoon appointment rather than first thing in the morning. 

I did some independent research and found it was a good idea to limit fiber for a few days prior, but my doc’s instructions didn’t include that. 

Yeah I didn't realize I'd have to get up in the middle of the night to drink the last bottle of magnesium citrate because my appointment is early.  That sucks.  I wish someone would have warned me of that.  I have a feeling I won't be getting that much sleep anyway because of going to the bathroom a lot.

• Hugs 2
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Yeah I didn't realize I'd have to get up in the middle of the night to drink the last bottle of magnesium citrate because my appointment is early.  That sucks.  I wish someone would have warned me of that.  I have a feeling I won't be getting that much sleep anyway because of going to the bathroom a lot.

I just checked what time I scheduled my last colonoscopy for and it was 1pm with a 12:15pm arrival.
I just added that to my notes in my calendar for 2028 or else I'd never remember that prefered time either. 

Gatorade makes me gag. 

(edited)

Does anyone know of any upper respiratory virus going around right now?
I'm in Rochester NY, if that matters.

Right now I'm awake in the wee hours with day 2 of a bad sore throat. The advil just kicked in, so I will go back to sleep.

The real bummer so far is just a canceled day with tiny lambchop #2 👶🏻.

I used up one of my expired/but-still-okay home Covid tests, which was negative.
I've never had strep throat in my 70 years, so hopefully this too will pass. 
Maybe it's a milder version of RSV? 
Both the vaccine and the disease were pretty terrible for me in 2023. 
IDK. 
Can a really mild version of Covid (have had 6 vaccines but no positive tests) present as some sneezing followed by a sore throat and a negative home test?

I don't want to drive an hour round trip to get a Covid or RSV test at the doctor's if I don't even have a fever, and the nearby Urgent Care is at least $75.

Edited by shapeshifter
Tiny typo
  • Hugs 4

@shapeshifter My husband is getting over a respiratory thing that's making the rounds in the metro DC area. He didn't have the sore throat, but lots of congestion, coughing, and aching all over. No fever. Lasted several days but he's much better now (altho' still coughing). He knows several others who are experiencing the same bug. He did the covid test--negative.  I hope you feel better soon! 🌸🤗

• Thanks 1
(edited)

I'm on the tail end of a head cold, my first in so many years I cannot remember when the last one was (at least five years ago, probably more; I know I had a very brief stomach bug three years ago, but the illness prior to that I cannot recall).

Day 1:  Woke up with a sore throat, which is my usual indication I might be coming down with something.  Usually, after a day of rest, zinc, and echinacea, I wake up fine the next morning.  No such luck this time.

Day 2: Yep, it's a head cold -- throat still sore, but not bad other than when aggravated by sneezing or swallowing anything that wasn't hot, both ears aching, and nose simultaneously stuffed up and running, with some sneezing.  It was Saturday, and raining, so I spent a good part of the day in bed watching TV with the cat, but it was more that I didn't want to do things than feeling too tired/sick to do them.

Day 3: Throat fine, left ear plugged but right ear fine, and nose very unhappy on every level.  This was my worst day, the one I got back into bed during the day because I needed extra rest.

Day 4: Throat and ears fine, but nose furiously draining into throat, so now there's a cough trying to hack that stuff up.  Okay day, but this was absolutely terrible that night, and I practically had to sleep (the very little I was able to) sitting up.

Day 5: Felt pretty good other than apparently being the unwilling subject of a study to determine whether the human body's production of snot/phlegm is infinite.  I blew my nose all day to hopefully have less to contend with when I got in bed, and that night was so much better -- I only needed one extra pillow and the coughing was about 75% less.

Day 6: Today, so hopefully another day of the nose blowing routine will give me a pretty good night tonight. 

I haven't felt overall terrible at any point, even on my worst day, just made utterly miserable by the symptoms sometimes (like when my eyes felt like they'd been rubbed with 30-grit sandpaper).  No fever (I'm typically at 97.9 and my highest temperature was 98.8; I'm now at 98.1), body aches, or other flu symptoms, and the cough was annoying, but not a rumbling chest thing where I couldn't take deep breaths.  But I took COVID tests on days three and five anyway, since I'd been with friends the night before I got sick (so wanted to be able to assure them I hadn't potentially exposed them) and I have four tests about to expire in the cupboard, so why not.

I don't remember my colds lasting this long in the past, but a) they're infrequent enough I'm sure I don't accurately remember them and b) maybe they were indeed shorter, but I was younger and healthier then, so it makes sense my body would take longer to get back to normal now.  I like the wisdom that comes with age, the deepening of long-term relationships, etc., but the physical changes - bleh.

Edited by Bastet
  • Hugs 2
  • Useful 1

I haven’t worked a full week since November and I rarely get sick. If I do it’s mild and I can work through it. December we went to Disney and I came home with a sinus infection. January I tested positive for Covid. Today- stomach bug and Covid symptoms all over again. I have not been cough or tissue free since December. I work in an elementary school with my own kids being in 2,6 and 8 grade. Normally I don’t catch everything but it’s been awful! 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

I’m seeing my allergy doctor tomorrow; by sheer coincidence, the unseasonable weather changes have affected my sinuses. I’m sure it has to be allergies, but you guy’s stories are making me nervous, even though I’ve been masking diligently as always. I do not want the asthmatic cough that drove me nuts last year to come back.

• Hugs 2
20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Can a really mild version of Covid (have had 6 vaccines but no positive tests) present as some sneezing followed by a sore throat and a negative home test?

I don't want to drive an hour round trip to get a Covid or RSV test at the doctor's if I don't even have a fever, and the nearby Urgent Care is at least $75.

I've asked myself the same question when getting a negative reading on a Covid test.  When I actually HAD Covid one of my at home tests didn't show a positive but it was at the tail end of its extended shelf life and a brand I didn't necessarily trust.  When I took a BinaxNow test it showed a faint line (this was at the tail end of my bout with Covid).  So maybe you should get a fresh home test from the store.  Walmart has them really cheap right on the shelf near me.  They have BinaxNow for $15.88 in the double pack.

But there's a lot of crap going around right now.  And Covid is higher than I've seen it for a while too.  One reason I'm wearing my mask in crowded places now and those stanky public restrooms.

BTW, I spoke with that nurse again today who talked to the doctor.  He recommended that I take one Dulcolax and another 2 hours later.  Half the dose.  But he says I should not eat dinner the night before the day you're supposed to start fasting.  That might be the hardest part of this for me, but if it prevents worse symptoms from the Dulcolax I'll take it.  I'm going to play it by ear and see how I feel.  If I'm tolerating the Dulcolax OK I'll take more of it in increments of one tablet every 2 hours.  A friend told me that the magnesium citrate was the worst part of the prep for him.  Ugh.

• Hugs 2

I recommend taking the Covid test a few times. When I had it last summer, it only showed a positive on the fourth day after I started having mild symptoms.

A negative result doesn't necessarily mean you don't have it. By the time it registered positive, I had a full-blown fever. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
23 hours ago, Bastet said:

Day 6: Today, so hopefully another day of the nose blowing routine will give me a pretty good night tonight. 

It worked -- I finally got some great sleep last night.  I'm still coughing and blowing my nose, but significantly less each day; hopefully this is gone for good soon.  (I have a friend whose cough always lingers for weeks and sometimes months when she has a cold, and it drives her absolutely crazy.  Just dealing with this for several days is making me cranky, so I get it.)

• Hugs 3
On 2/6/2024 at 7:40 AM, Yeah No said:

So I have my first ever colonoscopy scheduled on the 15th.  I have been doing the "Fit" test (which is like Cologuard) for years but I know I need the full colonoscopy to find and fix polyps.  The problem is that I am super-sensitive to everything and have had problems with OTC laxatives in the past.  The procedure center wants me to get Dulcolax and take 4 tablets the day before and then drink magnesium citrate.  I am worried about the Dulcolax because I've avoided OTC laxatives other than the all-natural kind for decades because of intense bad reactions, like nausea, etc.  I remember feeling awful for days afterward on just one dose.  That bad.  I am not as worried about the Magnesium Citrate because I take magnesium daily and don't know of any reason why that would cause a bad reaction. 

I am also worried about everything else to do with the procedure.  I have had surgeries and 3 endoscopies in the past so you'd think I wouldn't be as worried about this, but even under the best of circumstances it takes me longer than most people to bounce back from anesthesia. 

So anyway I am petrified at this point.  I have a call into the nurse about this and hope she can help calm me down or give me an alternate laxative.

Any kind of advice or support would be appreciated.  Thank you!

This late response but although I’ve had my share of colonoscopies I was nervous to have endo and colonoscopy couple months ago so asked GI  office if I could take 1/2 tab of a low dose Xanax I have when leaving home.  It helped for couple hours but they ran so late and was like a assembly line in there.  The medication they give always wears off almost immediately never said anything amusing on way home. One of the drugs like propofol at least makes you forget any discomfort. 

• Hugs 1
  • Useful 2
13 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

propofol at least makes you forget any discomfort

That's why it's called Milk of Amnesia.  

• LOL 7

I am still under a lot of stress worrying about my colonoscopy.  I'm just as worried about the prep as the procedure itself.  I told them that I have never reacted well to OTC laxatives but the doctor seems insistent that I need to take Dulcolax despite the dreadful reviews from people saying they took only one pill and got dizzy, nauseous and even in some cases passed out and how it shouldn't be sold over the counter.  He says Miralax doesn't work as fast.  But then he agreed that I should take one pill of the Dulcolax instead of 2.  But those people online had that reaction from ONE pill!!  I am flipping out!

Even worse, my husband's boss thinks he's being nice by asking him to drive him and his wife on Valentine's day because I won't be able to eat that day anyway, but that's the day I need him here the most if I have a bad reaction to the Dulcolax.  Unbelievable....And my husband felt forced to agree to that.  So I will be all alone worrying about my reaction to this.  I am beside myself.....

• Hugs 3
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I am still under a lot of stress worrying about my colonoscopy.  I'm just as worried about the prep as the procedure itself.  I told them that I have never reacted well to OTC laxatives but the doctor seems insistent that I need to take Dulcolax despite the dreadful reviews from people saying they took only one pill and got dizzy, nauseous and even in some cases passed out and how it shouldn't be sold over the counter.  He says Miralax doesn't work as fast.  But then he agreed that I should take one pill of the Dulcolax instead of 2.  But those people online had that reaction from ONE pill!!  I am flipping out!

Even worse, my husband's boss thinks he's being nice by asking him to drive him and his wife on Valentine's day because I won't be able to eat that day anyway, but that's the day I need him here the most if I have a bad reaction to the Dulcolax.  Unbelievable....And my husband felt forced to agree to that.  So I will be all alone worrying about my reaction to this.  I am beside myself.....

I too get extremely anxious about colonoscopy preps, although for different reasons (esp. nausea from the prep making it difficult to complete). 

It helped for me to talk to a nurse on call at the gastro-intestinal office. 
I think I had 2 or 3 calls with her before the last prep, and made slight modifications to the prep directive as a result. 

Can you talk to a GI nurse? 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

One week into this latest upper-respiratory attack of green slime+low fever
🦠🤧🤒😮‍💨
I've gone through 3 boxes of tissues and have not been in public indoors.
I'm not sure what the odds are on my having to mask up to go to the grocery store before I am no longer contagious. 
(I am too picky about my groceries to do doordash.) 

10-20 years ago when Dad was in his 80s, Mom started to have a worried edge in her voice when she would tell me Dad had "a cold." Now I get it.

When I was in 6th grade, a smart, tall, strong girl from a very poor family that lived in part of a barn on a farm where the family worked, one day tried out a nickname on me. It was "Runt." 
The name didn't stick, but having seen litters of kittens myself, I inwardly claim that name now. 

I sadly recall a day when she told me at 16 her father was "marrying her off." 
I hope her physical sturdiness and native intelligence (as well as symmetrical face) enabled her to have a fulfilling life beyond that one event.

• Hugs 4
42 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I too get extremely anxious about colonoscopy preps, although for different reasons (esp. nausea from the prep making it difficult to complete). 

It helped for me to talk to a nurse on call at the gastro-intestinal office. 
I think I had 2 or 3 calls with her before the last prep, and made slight modifications to the prep directive as a result. 

Can you talk to a GI nurse? 

I left a message for one to call me back.  She's the one who originally spoke with the doctor and he recommended taking 1 tablet and then another 2 hours later (instead of 2 and 2) but now seeing what I saw on review sites even 1 tablet alone seems to cause bad reactions in enough people for someone like me to be worried about it.

I wish I could remember more about what I took decades ago that made me so sick I never took any OTC laxative again.  It might have been Ex Lax but it was definitely another stimulant laxative.  And that was a long time ago before I was as sensitive to everything as I am now.  When I need a laxative I eat prunes and take fiber supplements and it works like a charm for me.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I wish I could remember more about what I took decades ago that made me so sick I never took any OTC laxative again.  It might have been Ex Lax but it was definitely another stimulant laxative.  And that was a long time ago before I was as sensitive to everything as I am now.  When I need a laxative I eat prunes and take fiber supplements and it works like a charm for me.

This Mayo Clinic list might help remind you: 
https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/laxative-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20070683

I recall "stool softeners" supposedly being less of an assault on the body, but I can't recall the context or source of that. It might have just been a TV ad. But I think maybe a nurse too. On the 3rd hand, medical info and advice evolves quickly.

• Like 1
On 2/6/2024 at 8:27 PM, ebk57 said:

The first 2 colonoscopies I had, I had the liquid prep.  For the last one in 2022, they gave me the pills.  I hated the pills.  They're horse pills and I had real issues with them. I got them all down, and drank all the liquids I was supposed to, but I'm asking for the liquid for my next one in 2025. 

Just saying, if you have an issue with ginormous pills, those are ginormous. 

I had to take ginormous pills once upon a time.  I just split them in half using the point of a very sharp paring knife.  I also find pills easier to swallow with milk rather than water.

• Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

I had to take ginormous pills once upon a time.  I just split them in half using the point of a very sharp paring knife.  I also find pills easier to swallow with milk rather than water.

But milk would not be an option for a colonoscopy prep because you can't see through it.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

Thanks for the suggestion of splitting them.  If I need horse pills for something other than a colonoscopy, I'll try to remember the milk suggestion. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Thanks for the suggestion of splitting them.  If I need horse pills for something other than a colonoscopy, I'll try to remember the milk suggestion. 

Just don't split them if they have a coating.  I recently found out that the coating is important to the effectiveness of the pill and that's why it's there.

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But milk would not be an option for a colonoscopy prep because you can't see through it.

Thanks for reminding me that tomorrow I have to stop putting milk in my tea.

• Hugs 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This Mayo Clinic list might help remind you: 
https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/laxative-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20070683

I recall "stool softeners" supposedly being less of an assault on the body, but I can't recall the context or source of that. It might have just been a TV ad. But I think maybe a nurse too. On the 3rd hand, medical info and advice evolves quickly.

Thanks, based on that page I'm sure it was probably Ex-Lax or another stimulant laxative.

So no one has called me back from the doctor's office yet and I'm getting closer to my colonoscopy.  I'll have to try again tomorrow.  

I'll probably take one pill of the Dulcolax and see how it goes.  One of my local friends will be around and reachable if I have any bad side effects.  Although he told me his worst symptoms came from the magnesium citrate.  

I just read over the general instructions they gave me before I spoke with them and they were to take 4 Dulcolax at the same time, then later follow it with 10 oz. bottle of magnesium citrate and water and another bottle and water hours later.  That seems excessive for anyone let alone me with my issues!  🤯 I've heard of people just taking 4 pills OR just drinking a lot of a certain liquid but not both together!  My husband had to take pills only, no magnesium citrate.  No wonder I'm going nuts about this!

• Hugs 2
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Thanks, based on that page I'm sure it was probably Ex-Lax or another stimulant laxative.

So no one has called me back from the doctor's office yet and I'm getting closer to my colonoscopy.  I'll have to try again tomorrow.  

I'll probably take one pill of the Dulcolax and see how it goes.  One of my local friends will be around and reachable if I have any bad side effects.  Although he told me his worst symptoms came from the magnesium citrate.  

I just read over the general instructions they gave me before I spoke with them and they were to take 4 Dulcolax at the same time, then later follow it with 10 oz. bottle of magnesium citrate and water and another bottle and water hours later.  That seems excessive for anyone let alone me with my issues!  🤯 I've heard of people just taking 4 pills OR just drinking a lot of a certain liquid but not both together!  My husband had to take pills only, no magnesium citrate.  No wonder I'm going nuts about this!

Maybe it’s too late for this suggestion but couldn’t you do a test run with a single pill under controlled circumstances (i.e. prepared for bad side effects)?  I did that with Gatorade/Miralax several days before I had to do the actual prep, mostly to get a sense of how hard it was going to be to get it down. Fortunately in my case, it was fine, which eased my mind a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

@Yeah No

Dulcolax: do you know there is a gentle formula for sensitive stomachs? I don’t use laxatives but noticed it when I was looking for vicks vapor rub for humidifier. I can’t remember the other sensitivities covered but it seems like there were three of them.

• Useful 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Maybe it’s too late for this suggestion but couldn’t you do a test run with a single pill under controlled circumstances (i.e. prepared for bad side effects)?  I did that with Gatorade/Miralax several days before I had to do the actual prep, mostly to get a sense of how hard it was going to be to get it down. Fortunately in my case, it was fine, which eased my mind a bit. 

Thanks.  I was just thinking I should have done that days before myself.  I took one pill today and nothing happened except I was so tired I fell asleep on the couch for a couple of hours.  The doctor suggested doing that, but he also suggested not eating after breakfast today, which I did, but boy has that been hard because I can't eat tomorrow either now and I will have to take more of the Dulcolax tomorrow and then in the evening the magnesium citrate.  I don't even know how much more I can handle.  One is fine but what will two or three be like?  If I take two and they don't work, what then?  All I know is I feel awful already and nothing has even happened yet.  Starving, tired and no poop at all.  Also, freezing and a headache for some reason, I think from lack of food.  I drank a lot of Gatorade, tea and water today too.   So in my case this hasn't helped and I'm still worried about tomorrow.

3 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

@Yeah No

Dulcolax: do you know there is a gentle formula for sensitive stomachs? I don’t use laxatives but noticed it when I was looking for vicks vapor rub for humidifier. I can’t remember the other sensitivities covered but it seems like there were three of them.

I saw that myself and read online that it's the same exact formula as the regular Dulcolax, it's just a marketing ploy to attract women!  And I compared the ingredients side by side and it's true.  Unbelievable!

There is a magnesium based Dulcolax liquid but I didn't buy that one because I was instructed to buy the pills, which are something else.  And I have the magnesium citrate I'll have to take too.

ETA:  I just had a small poop, felt a little sudden.  There can't be a lot in there since I haven't eaten that much in the past couple of days.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Applause 1
17 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Thanks.  I was just thinking I should have done that days before myself.  I took one pill today and nothing happened except I was so tired I fell asleep on the couch for a couple of hours.  The doctor suggested doing that, but he also suggested not eating after breakfast today, which I did, but boy has that been hard because I can't eat tomorrow either now and I will have to take more of the Dulcolax tomorrow and then in the evening the magnesium citrate.  I don't even know how much more I can handle.  One is fine but what will two or three be like?  If I take two and they don't work, what then?  All I know is I feel awful already and nothing has even happened yet.  Starving, tired and no poop at all.  Also, freezing and a headache for some reason, I think from lack of food.  I drank a lot of Gatorade, tea and water today too.   So in my case this hasn't helped and I'm still worried about tomorrow.

I saw that myself and read online that it's the same exact formula as the regular Dulcolax, it's just a marketing ploy to attract women!  And I compared the ingredients side by side and it's true.  Unbelievable!

There is a magnesium based Dulcolax liquid but I didn't buy that one because I was instructed to buy the pills, which are something else.  And I have the magnesium citrate I'll have to take too.

Oh that’s a bummer about being so hungry. For my prep the “clear liquids” day allowed stuff like jello and broth, so I didn’t really have the hunger issue.  Just the no-sleep issue, due to the timing of everything. Good luck!

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh that’s a bummer about being so hungry. For my prep the “clear liquids” day allowed stuff like jello and broth, so I didn’t really have the hunger issue.  Just the no-sleep issue, due to the timing of everything. Good luck!

I have eaten Jello and have had broth too but I'm still VERY hungry.  Even back when I had my gallbladder issues and couldn't eat very much I wasn't this hungry - in fact I didn't feel like eating at all.  So far the hunger has been the worst part of this.  I haven't gotten good sleep in the past few days (from worrying about the colonoscopy) so that isn't helping.  I just had 2 hours of sleep but woke up STARVING which is not like me.  Usually after sleeping it mutes hunger.  

• Hugs 2
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I have eaten Jello and have had broth too but I'm still VERY hungry.  Even back when I had my gallbladder issues and couldn't eat very much I wasn't this hungry - in fact I didn't feel like eating at all.  So far the hunger has been the worst part of this.  I haven't gotten good sleep in the past few days (from worrying about the colonoscopy) so that isn't helping.  I just had 2 hours of sleep but woke up STARVING which is not like me.  Usually after sleeping it mutes hunger.  

I’ve heard of others being hungry, but since my issue with the prep was nausea when drinking (gagging) it down, I can’t suggest anything except to drink more water to fill your stomach?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I’ve heard of others being hungry, but since my issue with the prep was nausea when drinking (gagging) it down, I can’t suggest anything except to drink more water to fill your stomach?

This morning I took 2 more Dulcolax so wish me luck, LOL.  Hubbie has gone to work but now my BFF in NYC is going to be on standby on the phone with me so that helps.  And local male lawyer platonic friend is also on alert if I need someone's help ASAP.  

I haven't even gotten to the magnesium citrate drink yet - that comes later this evening.  I have no idea how I'm going to fare with that even cold and with a straw.  I've heard so much about it but have never had it.

BTW, how are you doing?  Are your symptoms better/gone yet?

• Like 1
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

BTW, how are you doing?  Are your symptoms better/gone yet?

Yes! The night before last my fever abated and I slept better, and my cough (from sinus drip) is almost gone, as is the creeping green gluck. So, about 10 days total.

Meanwhile my Lambchop (who I haven't seen since I got sick) has had the same cough (without the fever) for a few days, and now his Mommy & Daddy have it. So far the tiny new one is okay — and hopefully will stay that way due to mother's milk. Lampchop was tested at the pediatrician's for Covid, Flu, and RSV, and all were negative.

I guess I got it somewhere else. Maybe Wegman's? Or at the audiologist's? 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Hugs 3
52 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I guess I got it somewhere else. Maybe Wegman's? Or at the audiologist's? 

Glad to hear that. I've given up trying to figure out where I got Covid and I even went back over my Google timeline with a microscope for the 10 day period before trying to figure it out.  Everyone thinks my husband was one of those carriers that had no symptoms but gave it to me and by the time I was symptomatic he tested negative.  I could have gotten it in a supermarket but I usually shop when the markets are not crowded at all so who knows?

Too bad about your lampchop and family, though.  I guess you think you gave it to them given the timeline?

• Like 1
(edited)

Does anyone here have dry eyes? I've had it off & on for years, but now it has caused several infections (like pink eye infections). I've been told that my upper eyelids aren't completely shutting the eyes when I blink so my eyes aren't getting cleaned of germs, dirt, etc., by tears). I was referred to an occular plastic surgeon last fall. He said surgery will change the shape of my eyes and there's no guarantee that surgery will help. I just might get the surgery as now I never know when there will be a flare-up (& I'll wake up with my eyes "glued" shut 🥴).

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Hugs 2
30 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Does anyone here have dry eyes? I've had it off & on for years, but now it has caused several infections (like pink eye infections). I've been told that my upper eyelids aren't completely shutting the eyes when I blink so my eyes aren't getting cleaned of germs, dirt, etc., by tears). I was referred to an occular plastic surgeon last fall. He said surgery will change the shape of my eyes and there's no guarantee that surgery will help. I just might get the surgery as now I never know when there will be a flare-up (& I'll wake up with my eyes "glued" shut 🥴).

I do and have used Refresh eye drops for years. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Still prepping for my colonoscopy.  The Dulcolax turned out OK for me.  The magnesium citrate, though, is another story.  Feeling semi-queasy and yucky.  It's working, though, and a friend told me it was the same for her, so thankfully it's nothing unusual.  I have to drink another bottle of it at 3:30 a.m.  Can't imagine that but whatever.  What an ordeal this has been and I'm not even done yet!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Still prepping for my colonoscopy.  The Dulcolax turned out OK for me.  The magnesium citrate, though, is another story.  Feeling semi-queasy and yucky.  It's working, though, and a friend told me it was the same for her, so thankfully it's nothing unusual.  I have to drink another bottle of it at 3:30 a.m.  Can't imagine that but whatever.  What an ordeal this has been and I'm not even done yet!

You'll get through this. Everyone I know intensely dislikes the prep. So, keep on "keeping on". After this? It'll be a lot easier. Let us know how you're doing after it's all over 🤗.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

You'll get through this. Everyone I know intensely dislikes the prep. So, keep on "keeping on". After this? It'll be a lot easier. Let us know how you're doing after it's all over 🤗.

Thank you so much!  I will.  I just asked the on-call nurse if I have to drink the second bottle of that stuff even though it looks like what's coming out is clear and yellow but she said I do.  Ugh.  That sucks.  Maybe I'll see if I can get away with half.  It's not even just the prep for me but I have a strong fear of being put under anesthesia.  I've had it done at least 5 times in my life but every time I say goodbye to everyone like it was the last time.  It's almost a phobia.  So if you don't hear from me again, it was nice knowing you, LOL 😉

• Hugs 2