Type keyword(s) to search

Health and Wellness Chit-Chat: Your Primary Care Topic

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes, they came and stayed until I started chemo.

Yes. They knew about the tests, biopsy and when I told them the results, they came and stayed for a few months. I thought I could handle the chemo on my own, and thought my aunt, who lived only 20 minutes away, would be there to drive to and from. But, chemo KICKED my ASS; Aunt suddenly decided her life was too busy (but she had time to help her other friend to and from chemo, radiation and socialize, but whatever), so I called my Mom to ask her to come back until chemo was done. It took a little longer, but she came. 

It's not that expensive to travel from here and there, and price is dependent on the travel season-hikes up during the holidays.

I've only had radiation, so I don't know what chemo is like.  Radiation made me a little bit more tired than normal, but I've heard chemo is a million times worse.  :( 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, PRgal said:

I've only had radiation, so I don't know what chemo is like.  Radiation made me a little bit more tired than normal, but I've heard chemo is a million times worse.  :( 

The good thing about the kind of chemo I had is that it wipes your memory. 
For example, at work I designed new icons for the library computer desktop screens. About a month later I asked the tech guy who made them. 
So I don't really remember that year.

• Mind Blown 4
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The good thing about the kind of chemo I had is that it wipes your memory. 
For example, at work I designed new icons for the library computer desktop screens. About a month later I asked the tech guy who made them. 
So I don't really remember that year.

Oh wow I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic here. I can see the benefit of being able to forget unpleasant stuff that happened. But not at the expense of forgetting all the good or mundane stuff!

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh wow I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic here. I can see the benefit of being able to forget unpleasant stuff that happened. But not at the expense of forgetting all the good or mundane stuff!

Maybe a teensy bit sarcastic. But there wasn't much worth remembering that year.

• Hugs 3
  • Useful 1

Congrats @GHScorpiosRule!! From a 13 year breast cancer survivor! 10 years is a huge marker!! It is amazing to look back and realize just how long ago that all really was! Going through it, it seems it will never end!

My journey was very different from yours so much easier, if it can be "easy"at all. I got my dx, small growth right breast, cancer, and was suggested to have a lumpectomy.  My mom died of breast cancer and though I was negative for the BRCA gene, I decided on a double mastectomy with no recon. I was not going to wait for the other shoe to drop with another dx in the years to come. 

I opted out of recon after joining a Breast Cancer Survivors forum and hearing too many horror stories of botched/problem recons. Since my cancer was small and it was detected so early, given the mastectomies, I didn't have to go through radiation or chemo. So very much easier than many others. I have never regretted what I did one minute. I healed quickly and was followed regularly for two years by my Oncologist and have had no signs of any reoccurrences.

Both my kids came from CA to help me out the first week or so as I healed and then I was back to regular life. The chemo was what took my mom. She had a very weak heart on top of the cancer and it was just too much for her body to handle.

Not trying to steal your thunder, just sharing one survivor to another. And a huge CONGRATULATIONS to you!!  🎉   (((HUGS)))

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 7

About the free 4 Covid test kits recently made available at covidtests.gov:
Mine arrived with expiration dates for December 2023.
Apparently they are shipping test kits with "extended" expiration dates that will expire in 60 days.
I don't know if that will change at some point.
I'm on hold right now, waiting for a "supervisor." 

On 9/27/2024 at 11:15 PM, Gramto6 said:

I opted out of recon after joining a Breast Cancer Survivors forum and hearing too many horror stories of botched/problem recons. Since my cancer was small and it was detected so early, given the mastectomies

Unfortunately for me, the location of the lump ruled out a lumpectomy. And because of its location and it being particularly aggressive, I also underwent chemo as a “just in case/make sure to get all the cancer” route. Also tested negative for the BRCA gene, but my Nana had breast cancer (mastectomies over a 10 year period, no chemo) and she’s still with us. It skipped my mom and sister, so after realizing implant was a no go, had my surgeon lop off the left breast to prevent cancer to try and come in the other way. Had reconstructive surgery a month after the second mastectomy. It was more invasive and a 14 hour surgery. My parents came and stayed with me for three months. I had those drains in FOUR places. My insurance allowed me to have nurses come in daily to change the dressing and undrain. No extra out of pocket expenses.

• Love 2