Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I never had TV time restricted, either.  They wouldn't have needed to; I liked so many different things, I wasn't going to spend hours and hours on just one.  I was a voracious reader, liked TV and later video games, board games, and then a lot of playing outside -- riding bikes, roller skating, skateboarding, etc.

Hey, I did bike riding and roller skating and other outdoor stuff too, but we were so much more restricted than you SoCal folks.   Maybe half the year would be warm enough weather. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Hey, I did bike riding and roller skating and other outdoor stuff too, but we were so much more restricted than you SoCal folks.   Maybe half the year would be warm enough weather. 

Yep, the only thing that stopped us was rain.  As an adult, I'll say it's too cold to be outside, but as kids, and especially since our cold isn't actually all that cold, we just put on a coat and played outside.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
8 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

It was a bad idea to buy the cookies. I ate all of them in 1 day. 

To be fair, based on your pic the cookie bag didn't look that big.  And aren't cookies meant to be eaten in one day?

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

I guess I don't listen to lyrics very well.  The Lou Reed song "Walk on the Wild Side" was just on and I was actually paying attention for a change.  Wow.  Let's just say maybe it's fine that they can play it on the radio but you might think twice about playing it at a children's birthday party!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4

My mother told me later on that she also wanted to restrict our TV because she noticed us "fighting" (verbally) more when it was on.  So maybe she thought it was over stimulating or something who knows.  We did enjoy a lot of other activities though, I loved art and my sisters took piano. 

In spite of that, I do remember watching a lot of the old shows at the time one way or another.  I think that shows like The Fugitive and Green Acres hold up really well in their different (!) ways, as far as Perry Mason goes I never saw it at the time but have watched almost all of them since and really enjoy it.

We had a roof antenna up in the attic so never had reception problems, I remember moving to the city at 22 and the reception was awful until I got cable.  Now with the new digital transmission that doesn't happen to the over the air signals anymore at least here in Manhattan.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Mu husband loves this show.  It's on in reruns on a station we get so it's always on the PVR.  I can sit through an episode or two but not a steady diet.

My husband watches sports all day since retired.  Now, he’s watching that Pimple Popper show and 90 Day Fiance.  He knows all their names.  WTH?

• Mind Blown 7
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, roseha said:

In spite of that, I do remember watching a lot of the old shows at the time one way or another.  I think that shows like The Fugitive and Green Acres hold up really well in their different (!) ways, as far as Perry Mason goes I never saw it at the time but have watched almost all of them since and really enjoy it.

I grew up watching a lot of older shows, too. My family basically just rotated between Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite, the Disney Channel, and MTV when I was a kid. And then of course whatever we watched on the three basic networks as well. There are some popular shows that I have missed out on, either because we didn't have the channel(s) they aired on, or because I was too little to really pay attention or that genre wasn't really my thing, or stuff like that, but that's one upside to the era of the internet - with a lot of older shows, there's usually someplace that has them on hand for people to discover when possible :). 

But yeah, I spent so much time watching so much classic TV with my parents when I was little. And I can see those shows' influence in a lot of the current TV shows I like in turn, which is nice. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I’m so not smart. I bought a really fast charger (65V) for $27… And my devices are not meant for those charges. 20V is good enough. Of course I threw away the box so yeahhhh. Got a $27 charger that is not for me. I feel so not smart. 

I Bought the Chromebook. Let’s see if I like it as much as my iPad. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Anyone go skiing?  I’ve skied on almost every mountain in the East Coast.  When I was younger of course.  My company had a ski club, so we went twice a month to the slopes.  The Engineers rented a house every winter, so us girls were invited.  No hanky panky .. just good clean fun.   Then I met my husband, and my skiing days were over.   It was fun while it lasted.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m so not smart. I bought a really fast charger (65V) for $27… And my devices are not meant for those charges. 20V is good enough. Of course I threw away the box so yeahhhh. Got a $27 charger that is not for me. I feel so not smart. 

I did the same! Except I bought 2 of the wrong type of cord!  
— thinking the first one, with no box or directions anymore, was defective 🙄

Then I was almost going to replace my older model iPhone because both chargers kept disconnecting, but it turned out the phone’s software was just saving itself from getting fried by the supercharging cables 
—and, yes, this was after I’d removed lint from the phone’s charging port like they show on YouTube.

Next I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to decide what new phone to get.

But I was so glad I was still able to find the thin (and Apple-certified) older-style cords that were long (10 ft., like I wanted, which is what started the whole mess) and voilà! No more phone overheating and disconnecting when charging. 
I do love to solve a techy mystery.

So, for now, in the interest of not filling up landfills or contributing to sweatshop labor practices or unnecessarily depleting my own “disposable” income anymore than I already have, I’m going to keep my old iPhone 7 as long as it’s working  
although the last 2 nights I was really wishing I had a phone with a camera that takes pictures of the night sky when the moon is spectacular.

A former work colleague my age posted a moon picture on Facebook yesterday. He was surprised at how awesome it was. I’m guessing he also went through buying the wrong new charger for his old phone but then did buy a new phone.😉

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

I skied, back in the days when I was dating a good looking ski instructor. Then, I got bored, moved on, and years later took up cross country skiing that I did in an unvigorous style (just enjoyed the serenity of the snow falling, the scenery, hot chocolate back at the lodge, etc). 

• Like 3
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I skied, back in the days when I was dating a good looking ski instructor. Then, I got bored, moved on, and years later took up cross country skiing that I did in an unvigorous style (just enjoyed the serenity of the snow falling, the scenery, hot chocolate back at the lodge, etc). 

Do you have recommendations for who will play you and the ski instructor in the movie version?

Can we get a sequel with swimming?

❤️

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Cross country .. too hard.  Yes, going back to the lodge was the best part. Cold up there.  Plus could hardly walk come the rest of the week.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Why?

Why?  Jealously.  We became exclusive, all worked for the same company, and he didn’t want me going away with the other guys on weekends.  Besides, I wanted to be with him instead as I had enough.  Sometimes certain things come to an end.  I was ok with it.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 2
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I won't use Apple products.

My Son has a Chromebook and he said the same thing.  No Apple Products.  I have to ask why.  Isn’t the Chromebook hard to handle?  I’m so used to the I-pad, now I have to learn the other.  Yikes.  Hate all this technical stuff.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Anyone go skiing?  I’ve skied on almost every mountain in the East Coast.  When I was younger of course.  My company had a ski club, so we went twice a month to the slopes.  The Engineers rented a house every winter, so us girls were invited.  No hanky panky .. just good clean fun.   Then I met my husband, and my skiing days were over.   It was fun while it lasted.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Why?

2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Why?  Jealously.  We became exclusive, all worked for the same company, and he didn’t want me going away with the other guys on weekends.  Besides, I wanted to be with him instead as I had enough.  Sometimes certain things come to an end.  I was ok with it.

Yeah. I gave up ballet (again) when I left town (again) at around age 20.

So I take it hubby was not a skier. 
Part of me is sad that you gave up an activity you enjoyed.
But I get it. I no longer play music or sew or make ceramics. 
And my physical activities are getting fewer and fewer due to age-related afflictions.
But I do still paint some. 
I hope you and hubby have shared activities.
Oops.
I just realized.
Of course you do. 🙃

My kids and I never skied, mostly because in the rough terrain of the area where we lived, it was practically a given that every new skier would suffer a broken ankle, and we had poor-to-no health insurance. Plus. Broken ankles can be serious. And we were at least 10 miles from physical therapy.

I see my attitude towards learning to ski in the Mt. Shasta wilderness as being equivalent to my daughter and son-in-law's "no contact sports" rule for their babies' futures.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Why are you guys buying a Chromebook, instead of an I pad?

I bought a Chromebook yesterday because I want type on a keyboard and have a bigger screen for Hulu/etc. butttt the iPad screen resolution is way way better!

And write novellas!

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

My Son has a Chromebook and he said the same thing.  No Apple Products.  I have to ask why.  Isn’t the Chromebook hard to handle?  I’m so used to the I-pad, now I have to learn the other.  Yikes.  Hate all this technical stuff.

It’s very easy to use a Chromebook. I promise! 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, PRgal said:

We're an Apple household.  Siri, iMac/Macbook, iPad, and iPhones for my husband and me.  It's easier for us to streamline and I hate Windows.  

I sadly can’t afford an Apple laptop. Only iPhone and iPad. And since I barely use a computer at Home I think apple laptop is not for me anyway. That’s what I console myself with anyway lol. 

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Why are you guys buying a Chromebook, instead of an I pad?

A Chromebook is a computer and about an eighth of the cost of an iPad.

In addition, the iPad is a tablet. I know you can buy a keyboard for it but they are crazy expensive.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 6
4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Cross country .. too hard.  Yes, going back to the lodge was the best part. Cold up there.  Plus could hardly walk come the rest of the week.

When I'd tell folks that I was going X country skiing, they'd look so impressed. So I felt obliged to say that I always took the scenic routes (groomed trails). Back then I smoked so I'd find a tree stump to sit on & have a cig as I enjoyed the great white outdoors 😁 (but I never took a nip of brandy like a lot of other X country skiers). 

• Like 6
On 8/2/2023 at 8:09 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I too was always reading a book.  So when you add that to watching TV/drawing or knitting and sewing, I don't know  how I did anything else.  I didn't spend much time on homework, as school was pretty easy at that age, so my parents didn't restrict TV.  That would have been unheard of then anyway.

This was the sixties.  I was placed in front of a TV every morning before I was school age while my mother would clean.  I watched the morning lineup of Romper Room, Captain Kangaroo, I Love Lucy, Pete and Gladys, The Real McCoys, and Warner Brothers' cartoons. 

When I was growing up in the 60s, TV broadcasts didn't even start until the early evening. 

On 8/2/2023 at 9:14 AM, oliviabenson said:

Bought new cookies on a whim: Butter cookies with apples. Wow so delicious! 

FEE35B4B-98E3-4E5B-AB88-0CDE3EF84080.jpeg

These do sound good, but do they have cinnamon?  I can take it in small doses, but the excess in flavors and scents prevalent around Halloween and Thanksgiving make me feel ill.  For some reason I can eat my body weight in Speculoos/Biscoff.

Give up my gorgeous husband for skiing?  No way.  He’s the love of my life.  I had skied for three years.  It was enough.  I gave up nothing and got a good man in return.  Besides, he came up to my office after a weekend of skiing and threatened to burn my boots if I didn’t stop going away with other guys.  Lol.  I caved.  It was him or snow.  A no brainer.  Three beautiful kids he put thru good colleges working overtime. 🥰

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

In addition, the iPad is a tablet. I know you can buy a keyboard for it but they are crazy expensive.

Since I already owned an iPad I decided the Magic Keyboard was a better choice than a new MacBook. It was such a game changer for me that I rarely use anything other than the iPad any more. And yes, anything with an Apple on it is ridiculously expensive.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I tried an Apple smartphone. Went to a wonderful class at the mall. But every time I even looked at it, it seemed to do something. I was so distressed I couldn't turn my head. Finally decided to send it back and my neck stopped hurting. 

• LOL 5
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yeah. I gave up ballet (again) when I left town (again) at around age 20.

Part of me is sad that you gave up an activity you enjoyed.
But I get it. I no longer play music or sew or make ceramics. 
And my physical activities are getting fewer and fewer due to age-related afflictions.
But I do still paint some. 
I hope you and hubby have shared activities.
Oops.
I just realized.
Of course you do. 🙃

My kids and I never skied, mostly because in the rough terrain of the area where we lived, it was practically a given that every new skier would suffer a broken ankle, and we had poor-to-no health insurance. Plus. Broken ankles can be serious. And we were at least 10 miles from physical therapy.

I see my attitude towards learning to ski in the Mt. Shasta wilderness as being equivalent to my daughter and son-in-law's "no contact sports" rule for their babies' futures.

I’ve skied at Killington, Vermont.  I think it’s the highest mountain on the east coast, but I’m not sure.  Anyway, it took us five hours to come down because of ice.  Scary.  Half the mountain I was on my ass.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
23 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Give up my gorgeous husband for skiing?  No way.  He’s the love of my life.  I had skied for three years.  It was enough.  I gave up nothing and got a good man in return.  Besides, he came up to my office after a weekend of skiing and threatened to burn my boots if I didn’t stop going away with other guys.  Lol.  I caved.  It was him or snow.  A no brainer.  Three beautiful kids he put thru good colleges working overtime. 🥰

I've seen their wedding photo...he is gorgeous and so is she! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

Since I already owned an iPad I decided the Magic Keyboard was a better choice than a new MacBook. It was such a game changer for me that I rarely use anything other than the iPad any more. And yes, anything with an Apple on it is ridiculously expensive.

I have an iPad that I mostly use for games. The Magic Keyboard commercials were so slick I almost convinced myself I needed a new iPad w/ the magic keyboard. I don't actually need that, I have a fully functional laptop that I use for my other needs. When the time comes to replace my iPad, I'll evaluate to see if the magic keyboard (or whatever is out by then) can create a set-up that would meet all of my requirements to replace my laptop. Not just specs but comfort level where I use it, etc...

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

No .. he’s a golfer, which is worse.  Plus, he’s into every sport there is , except skiing.  Knows all the stats.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Back then I smoked so I'd find a tree stump to sit on & have a cig as I enjoyed the great white outdoors 😁 (but I never took a nip of brandy like a lot of other X country skiers). 

Funny you should say.  About smoking.  Hubs stopped when we first married, in one shot.  Me, I stopped about twenty yrs ago.  True Blue.  Had to smoke while I was on the phone.  A lot.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
24 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I tried an Apple smartphone. Went to a wonderful class at the mall. But every time I even looked at it, it seemed to do something. I was so distressed I couldn't turn my head. Finally decided to send it back and my neck stopped hurting. 

I have an I phone.  I don’t know more than half what it does.  I mostly text and call, send pictures.  That’s it.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

2 people this week told me they feel sorry for me. Uh what?! Am I that pathetic? Gee thanks for charity “friendship “. These 2 will never hear from me again. 

I am really hurt. 

What a rotten thing to say to a person. You should definitely cut contact.

• Like 8

Phone just went ballistic to tell me we are now in a "tornado watch".  Ugh.  I'll worry if it escalates to "warning".  Every damn week this summer (well almost every week) this is happening.  

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 4
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

What a rotten thing to say to a person. You should definitely cut contact.

I agree.  What a condescending, belittling thing to say. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

Phone just went ballistic to tell me we are now in a "tornado watch".  Ugh.  I'll worry if it escalates to "warning".  Every damn week this summer (well almost every week) this is happening.  

Where is that?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

2 people this week told me they feel sorry for me. Uh what?! Am I that pathetic? Gee thanks for charity “friendship “. These 2 will never hear from me again. 

I am really hurt. 

Well, now, what was the context of the comments? Were they replying to something you said or was it an out-of-the-blue thing?

I'll understand if you don't care to comment further.

• Like 4
52 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Well, now, what was the context of the comments? Were they replying to something you said or was it an out-of-the-blue thing?

I'll understand if you don't care to comment further.

Both said that to me out of the blue toward the end of our dinner, 2 different days and 2 different people. It was obviously a pity dinner hang out with me. Why say something so mean I don’t know…

• Mind Blown 3
  • Hugs 2
26 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Both said that to me out of the blue toward the end of our dinner, 2 different days and 2 different people. It was obviously a pity dinner hang out with me. Why say something so mean I don’t know…

That's very strange, and I'm sorry for how it has made you feel. I'm willing to bet that neither friend meant to hurt you.

Hang tough kid.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm really sad to hear you have such mean "friends," @oliviabenson. I'm constantly gobsmacked by the randomly cruel things people will say to other people. Even to strangers, as if the cruelty is the whole point.

If I'd been at dinner with you, I'd have told them, "Don't feel sorry for her. She just lost three hundred pounds of useless flesh. See ya."

Don't let it stick with you.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Applause 7
  • Love 3