Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

(edited)

@BlueSkies My Amazon Credit card id issued by Chase Bank Maybe because it is a larger bank they do things more efficiently? But I would still think any bank holding the credit card would mail statements unless you opted for paperless.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

@BlueSkies My Amazon Credit card id issued by Chase Bank Maybe because it is a larger bank they do things more efficiently? But I would still think any bank holding the credit card would mail statements unless you opted for paperless.

You'd think so but I get so many of my dad's bills via email. It drives me crazy.

• Like 1
On 5/31/2023 at 5:03 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

Lidl is like Aldi's and Trader Joes in that there are very limited choices.  I don't know if they have Table Talk pies. Some things are very cheap (produce and meats and fish).  They offer good fresh baked baguettes and croissants.  But they don't stock every brand and they don't stock a lot of things you'd expect to find at a regular supermarket.  Also, they devote the center aisle to sales of cheap nonfood items.  Hence the comment that it looks like a flea market. People walking around the store look depressed, especially since they remember the store that used to occupy the same space.  It's like a Soviet supermarket. 

If I know I have to buy certain items, I have to drive to a farther-away store, like Stop and Shop.

I wouldn’t buy meat in Lidl.  If it’s much cheaper, I would wonder why.  I buy in Stop n Shop and Shop Rite or Uncle Guiseppis here on Long Island.  Expensive Italian, but the the quality is good.  The middle of the store (Lidl) reminds me of a flea market.  What happened to the butchers we had when we were kids?  The meat was always fresh as my Mother would say.  We never had frills to eat like junk food and soda, but she always bought the best meat, vegetables and fruit.  Cake and cookies from the bakery.  She was a fabulous cook .. plain and delicious.  She always fed my Father’s bachelor friends when she made special dinners, like ethnic food from the old country (Ukraine).

On 5/31/2023 at 3:45 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I have yet to make it into Lidle even though it's not far away.  Do they sell Table Talk Pies there?  I've heard they do (haven't had a Table Talk Pie since I lived in NYS)  I've been to Aldi's a couple of times (the quarter needed for a shopping cart is a PITA)...it was just ok. We now have Amazon's grocery store several miles away and one is moving even closer so I might have to try it.  But first, I need to recruit a kid to go with me so I'll know how to use the new system!😁

I’ll bet you can get Table Talk pies in a 7/11.  My husband used to get them in the supermarkets.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

What happened to the butchers we had when we were kids?  The meat was always fresh as my Mother would say.

My Mother used to ask the butcher if the meat was well hung - which made me cringe when I was a teenager.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 8
On 6/4/2023 at 9:27 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Random post for anyone interested. One of our local broadcast stations has had a mating pair of ospreys build a nest on their signal tower for several years. There is a live cam set up for viewing. Two chicks have recently hatched, and it's kind of fun to watch.

watch-live-ospreys

I first saw an osprey in person do the osprey thing and dive straight down out of the sky into the water when I was in high school. It's so freaking cool.

Pbs Nature Bird GIF by Nature on PBS

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I first saw an osprey in person do the osprey thing and dive straight down out of the sky into the water when I was in high school. It's so freaking cool.

Pbs Nature Bird GIF by Nature on PBS

I once saw a hawk drop straight out of the sky, talons down just like this osprey, to neatly pluck a squirrel out of our lilac bush. Unfortunately, it was a hot summer morning so we had the doors and windows open. When the hawk grabbed the critter, every bird in that bush flew straight into our house. It was pandemonium for a little while. Our son helpfully got up from his computer to shut his bedroom door.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 8

We keep hearing about fires in other parts of the country and now it looks like they are coming closer to us.  This morning we woke up to a yellowish orangey sky and a strong smell of smoke when we stepped outside.  I'm not personally worried that it will get close to us but we've got family in Quebec who have been evacuated (different fire, different area) so that's fun.  Welcome to summer 2023.

• Hugs 6
  • Sad 4
6 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

They say it's smoke from Canada and/or northern states.

We are having fires in parts of Quebec and Nova Scotia, and now one in Eastern Ontario (god knows there could be more I haven't checked the weather channel lately!!) I don't know if there are any in the northern states but wouldn't be surprised.  I cannot believe how far these fires impact in areas that are so far away!

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 5
3 hours ago, Bethany said:

.I cannot believe how far these fires impact in areas that are so far away!

I said something similar to my mom recently, 'cause yeah, we've been having some hazy skies here in Iowa in recent weeks. How intense are the fires up in Canada that we can get the smoke and haze down here? 

I hope everyone being directly affected by the fires stays safe.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

How intense are the fires up in Canada that we can get the smoke and haze down here? 

I know!  The ones in Quebec (that I know of) are way the heck over near Sept Iles so something like 1,000 km from here and of course way further for anyone down in the US.  

• Useful 3

It's really bad out there today.  My son had a bad asthma attack walking his daughter to daycare today 😔. He's ok now but lesson learned.  He's ordered some N95 masks and is going to take more care.

• Sad 8
22 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

The gray sky with the brightness behind it is so eerie. My niece in NC just posted on FB a photo she took early this AM of a very red sun in the gray sky.

That's what it looked like here yesterday.  Today it's just gray and no sun at all.  And the smell is pretty gross.  I can't imagine what it must be like for anyone living closer to these fires!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
2 hours ago, Bethany said:

That's what it looked like here yesterday.  Today it's just gray and no sun at all.  And the smell is pretty gross.  I can't imagine what it must be like for anyone living closer to these fires!

Welcome to what life has been like in the summer on the West Coast for the last 6 or so years. It sucks.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 4
  • Sad 5
36 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Welcome to what life has been like in the summer on the West Coast for the last 6 or so years. It sucks.

I just cannot imagine that!  It's only been a few days and we're already completely fed up. The idea of months of this is just too awful to contemplate.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep. Massive fires used to be every 3 years, then every 2 years and now fires large enough to form their own weather system are yearly. Between arson and lack of climate change action it's not going to get better. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 4
8 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Between arson and lack of climate change action it's not going to get better. 

Speaking of...like it isn't bad enough to be affected by fires further away so some fool last night, set a fire in a wooded area near us.  Because of course, why not?  Luckily a hiker spotted it before it spread too far and the firefighters were able to handle it.  Bad news for the arsonist.  Hopefully they won't try again.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 3

I could smell smoke out in my upper floor hallway when I went out today to go to physical therapy.  I've only gone there and back in a taxi and I can't imagine what it's like for anyone who has been outside all day.  New York is at an all time dangerous pollution level.  Kids and teachers are not going out to school tomorrow.

Just brutal.  I hope the fires are put out and the smoke blows out over the ocean soon but I don't know if that's going to happen.

• Hugs 4

Today I successfully talked a store into waiving the outrageous late fee charge on an in-store credit card.  Yippee!  (75% after one missed payment!!!!!!!!!!)

• Like 1
  • Applause 5

I usually have a couple of granola bars in my car either for snacking on myself or to give to the panhandlers who stand at intersections/off ramps here (I don't give cash.).  I handed someone a chocolate covered bar yesterday and he immediately handed it back saying he was vegan.  I gave him another that I knew was dairy free.  He looked briefly at the ingredients and apologetically handed it back.  "Sorry, it has honey."

Good for him for standing by the courage of his convictions, despite hardship.  (He didn't look like he was faking - unfortunately we have a lot of those in our bleeding heart city, as well as way too many unhoused people.)

• Like 5
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

I can’t reach one of my friends. I tried multiple times on phone/sm. I hope she is not dead… 

She always promptly answers me so I’m worried.

If you know where she lives call the local PD and ask them to do a wellness check. You can also poke around their SM and find family to ask if they are OK, or see if they have had recent activity. They could also be on vacation, busy with work / life, or just taking a break from socializing, or her phone could be broken.

• Like 6

Multiple times today, or over the course of days?  Because if just today, there are a whole list of things other than her death more likely to be the cause.

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Multiple times today, or over the course of days?  Because if just today, there are a whole list of things other than her death more likely to be the cause.

I have not heard from her since 5/20/23. It’s highly unusual for her to not respond. She is 60/61. 

• Hugs 4
  • Useful 1
24 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I have not heard from her since 5/20/23. It’s highly unusual for her to not respond. She is 60/61. 

I think in that case calling the PD for a wellness check might be in order. If nothing more for your own peace of mind, but it will also let her know you are really concerned for her welfare.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Does she work? If so, her employer would be checking up on her.

She does not work. 

I don’t know her address… I have been to her apartment but I don’t remember where it is.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
2 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I think I use mind blown for that?

I want a puzzled face, "what in the hell are you talking about" reaction.  

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I think I use mind blown for that?

I think I have too, but mind blown to me doesn't quite mean the same as "I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say here"  😀

• Like 7
Just now, Leeds said:

I think I have too, but mind blown to me doesn't quite mean the same as "I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say here"  😀

Yes, it is a poor substitute.

5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I wonder how many TV watching Redditors are going to find their way here when Reddit goes dark on the 12th? They're already all over FARK.

I'm already on Reddit.  What the heck is FARK?  I just looked at it when you mentioned it.  It seems too disorganized.  I don't need another posting platform to waste time with. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I wonder how many TV watching Redditors are going to find their way here when Reddit goes dark on the 12th? They're already all over FARK.

Is Reddit shutting down on the 12th?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I barely am aware of twitter.  What is FARK?  And is reddit really going belly up?  I've never been there but it comes up as an option when I am doing searches all the time. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes, it is a poor substitute.

I'm already on Reddit.  What the heck is FARK?  I just looked at it when you mentioned it.  It seems too disorganized.  I don't need another posting platform to waste time with. 

Lol, disorganised? Compared to Reddit? 

17 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Is Reddit shutting down on the 12th?

Almost all of the subs will be going dark from the 12th to the 14th to protest Reddit blocking certain 3rd party platforms that many people in other countries use to access the Reddit mobile app, is my understanding.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Reddit is not shutting down.  It may be shutting down temporarily in protest to something going on with third party apps.  I'm not really paying close attention.

I don't know why I don't find Reddit disorganized.  YMMV.  It makes sense to me.  I mostly follow crafts on there mostly, not TV.   Twitter is also so disorganized.  I don't really understand how people follow a trending story. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3
18 minutes ago, Bethany said:

I barely am aware of twitter.  What is FARK?  And is reddit really going belly up?  I've never been there but it comes up as an option when I am doing searches all the time. 

No, Reddit is not going under, it's just a blackout/protest for 48 hours. FARK is a news aggregator much like Reddit. It skews a tad older.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1