Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

In first class you might see celebrities.  Once I sat across from Gayle King.  Another time I was behind Cory Booker (he was then running for the Senate for the first time).  He was happy to chat with people, as he was politicking. 

• Like 5

No one’s going to care that you’re too grubby.  I’ve flown business (though not first) a few times and I just show up in comfortable clothing.  

• Like 3
1 minute ago, PRgal said:

No one’s going to care that you’re too grubby.  I’ve flown business (though not first) a few times and I just show up in comfortable clothing.  

I expect that no one will care as long as I'm clean and quiet. Which I am unless someone really wants to talk. I mostly want to take the time to read or play sudoku or wordle.

• Like 2
(edited)
24 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

In first class you might see celebrities.  Once I sat across from Gayle King.  Another time I was behind Cory Booker (he was then running for the Senate for the first time).  He was happy to chat with people, as he was politicking. 

I have very bad facial recognition. I would not notice a celebrity. I can notice voices though, sometimes.

Now I'm nervous if I do sit next to someone it will be a show I love and I go into idiot mode and say something stupid, or sit next to a politician and I get strapped to my seat.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 4
4 hours ago, nokat said:

Any advice from those who fly frequently?

I don't fly frequently, but I would check the tsa.gov website, as well as that of the airline/s you're flying with prior to your departure day, for any and all mandates or suggstions.

• Useful 2
3 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I don't fly frequently, but I would check the tsa.gov website, as well as that of the airline/s you're flying with prior to your departure day, for any and all mandates or suggstions.

Oh yes, I'm checking because honestly it might change.  I have a mobility device which may be a walker or rollator.  I've never had to worry about this while traveling. I will need help to get to the next gate.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

In first class you might see celebrities.

I've sat next to a few over the years, and my absolute favorite was Ray Charles -- that man was a Chatty Cathy!  I normally don't want to be bothered by a seatmate, so I certainly don't turn around and bother someone else just because they happen to be a celebrity, but he kept striking up random little bits of conversation throughout the flight that were a delight rather than an annoyance.

I've been in the same cabin with several others, and I was once ticked because I couldn't get my usual seat (front row, window, left) and when I boarded I saw it was because Dick Clark and his wife were in that row and I was stuck behind them -- she had my seat.  I kept glaring at that thing she called a hairstyle over the top of the seat.

Then there was the time I was going to Boston on a flight that was going on to Paris, and across the aisle from me were two models.  I vaguely recognized them, but don't know their names.  The flight attendant for our section was an apparently straight male, because I damn near had to make my own drinks for how much time he spent over there.  (Yeah, sure, dude -- they're going to invite you for a Mile High Club romp.)

After Joan Rivers (who I thought was hilarious when making fun of herself but could be downright ugly when it was directed at others) died, I thought back fondly on the time Melissa and her son were behind me on a flight to NY -- they kept talking about the things they were going to do with "Grandma", so I assume that was Joan.  He was excited, but a well-behaved little boy that she quietly but firmly reined in whenever he did start to act up; not at all the brat you might expect growing up with that kind of privilege.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I've sat next to a few over the years, and my absolute favorite was Ray Charles -- that man was a Chatty Cathy!  I normally don't want to be bothered by a seatmate, so I certainly don't turn around and bother someone else just because they happen to be a celebrity, but he kept striking up random little bits of conversation throughout the flight that were a delight rather than an annoyance.

I've been in the same cabin with several others, and I was once ticked because I couldn't get my usual seat (front row, window, left) and when I boarded I saw it was because Dick Clark and his wife were in that row and I was stuck behind them -- she had my seat.  I kept glaring at that thing she called a hairstyle over the top of the seat.

Then there was the time I was going to Boston on a flight that was going on to Paris, and across the aisle from me were two models.  I vaguely recognized them, but don't know their names.  The flight attendant for our section was an apparently straight male, because I damn near had to make my own drinks for how much time he spent over there.  (Yeah, sure, dude -- they're going to invite you for a Mile High Club romp.)

After Joan Rivers (who I thought was hilarious when making fun of herself but could be downright ugly when it was directed at others) died, I thought back fondly on the time Melissa and her son were behind me on a flight to NY -- they kept talking about the things they were going to do with "Grandma", so I assume that was Joan.  He was excited, but a well-behaved little boy that she quietly but firmly reined in whenever he did start to act up; not at all the brat you might expect growing up with that kind of privilege.

You've had such an interesting life.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nokat said:

I will need help to get to the next gate.

You request that from the airline. There should be a special services request online or you can call. They'll have someone meet you at check-in for assistance to your gate. Add extra time though, if it's a busy time you may have to wait awhile. Also be prepared to tip the people helping you. My mom does $10 from checkin to gate and gate to baggage claim and $5 for any gate transfers.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)

My Son worked for United Airlines, so as his parents, we flew for free all over the country.  We were lucky to get first class many times from New York to California.  Sat two rows away from Meg Ryan who’s a little bitty thing, and many other celebrities during that time.  I’m only sorry we didn’t go to Europe as we had two kids in college at the time, but lucky we did what we did.  Should of went to Hawaii, but husband didn’t want to travel that far away.  Very big trip from N.Y. to Hawaii.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 4

I'm jealous!  I've only ever gotten to fly with crying babies and the dumbass who couldn't figure out how to turn off the light over his seat.  Or indeed, that it was his light and not mine, despite my turning mine off and on and off again to prove it.  His light stayed on for the entirety of our nine-hour, overnight flight to Argentina.  

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'm jealous!  I've only ever gotten to fly with crying babies and the dumbass who couldn't figure out how to turn off the light over his seat.  Or indeed, that it was his light and not mine, despite my turning mine off and on and off again to prove it.  His light stayed on for the entirety of our nine-hour, overnight flight to Argentina.  

I was in a window seat and a couple sat next to me with an approximately 6 month old, and I was "oh no" but that was the sweetest baby ever. And then people on the plane were a bit embarrassing about it with the parents because he didn't cry the entire flight.

• Like 3

It's raining pretty hard here right now, and there are about a dozen little birds (mostly house finches) taking shelter on my covered front porch.  They're lined up on the railings, and even perched on the decorative hangings, porch swing and chains for the swing.  It's so cute!  

• Like 7
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, nokat said:

I was in a window seat and a couple sat next to me with an approximately 6 month old, and I was "oh no" but that was the sweetest baby ever. And then people on the plane were a bit embarrassing about it with the parents because he didn't cry the entire flight.

lol I've experienced the same. I remember seeing a baby on a flight once and thinking, oh no! But he was SO good the entire time. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Aw, that's a good one.  I think they were actually a close family. She did the reality show about moving to California to be with Melissa and Cooper, and she was a scripted noodnick.  Cooper seemed like a sweet kid.  I always enjoyed Joan's comedy. 

• Like 3

I'm weird it when comes to the food but this might take the cake.

I had a former manager that used to always eat a certain brand of organic yogurt.  She had bad breathe and was passive aggressive.  Just wasn't a good experience there.  But all these years later I still associate that brand with her and never buy its products.  The one time I did I started gaging on it 

• Like 3
On 5/28/2023 at 12:22 PM, nokat said:

Did any of you start cutting your own hair during the lock down, and just continued doing it?

Yes.  My hairdresser retired at the start of the pandemic and I can’t bring myself to start hunting for someone else.  I don’t have any friends to ask for recommendations, so DIY it is for now.  I just cut it short a few weeks ago because I was sick of the length, I’m not sure how it looks in back but the front is nice!

22 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

This sounds interesting. Does anyone know what hairdressers put on our hair to make it glossy & perfect looking/behaving? I once asked a former hairdresser what they put on my hair after the shampoo & she said, "nothing".  Uh-huh. The only time my hair has no frizz and is glossy & *perfect* is after I leave a salon.  They're using some product...just wish I could buy it for at home use.

My hairdresser always used Biosilk.  It took me ages to figure it out since all I remembered was the shape of the bottle and a B!!

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1

when I boarded I saw it was because Dick Clark and his wife were in that row and I was stuck behind them -- she had my seat.  I kept glaring at that thing she called a hairstyle over the top of the seat.

Jeez, I see what you mean!

image.png.d96770a3ccad19fbcaceef21415ce21b.png

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 3

Has anyone ever felt like they were being talked about online, and how did you handle it? A friend of mine showed me a post she saw and said “this person sounds like they’re describing you” and the person said they were talking about their sister. The age, the job occupation, the life circumstances all sounded really similar to mine with a few details that didn’t describe my situation or maybe some things changed for anonymity. 

I’m really embarrassed that someone may be posting about me but I don’t know who to start with accusing. It could be a family member or it could be a random person online pretending I’m related to them. And it hurts. I know it shows the internet is never anonymous and people do post about their family members but I never thought I’d see a post that was about me. What if my employer sees it and figures out it’s me? (I may hate my job but my performance reviews have been fine and my boss seems to like me.) Do I just delete my Reddit in case it was someone pretending to be related to me and that way it stops the chatter? I’m so confused and hurt right now. 

• Hugs 4
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I remember seeing a baby on a flight once and thinking, oh no! But he was SO good the entire time. 

One of the umpteen things I love from the Designing Women episode where Julia and Suzanne go to Japan is when they're boarding the plane, stuck in coach because first class is full, and Suzanne wonders where they're seated.  Julia replies, "I don't know, if history teaches us anything, mine will be next to a baby who smokes."  

I've never had a baby next to me on a flight, but I did once tell off a father in front of me about ignoring the antics of his obnoxious children.  It was one of the few times I flew coach, so I was already cranky; add on my hangover (with no pre-takeoff Bloody Mary as hair of the dog) and I was even less in the mood than normal for two little shitheads and the bigger shithead failing to parent them.  I actually got applause from the passengers in our immediate area.

• Like 8

I’m at Dulles Airport now, and imagine my surprise when the agent told me I got access to the British Airways lounge with my upgrade!  The food’s okay, but the best part is the comfy seats, each with a table and outlet/charging port.  And I don’t have to drag all my luggage with me when I use the bathroom!  That is undoubtedly the worst part of travelling alone.  

• Like 8
  • Love 4

I have this friend that is one of those types that sort of always feels the need to get the last word in kind of things.

I've learned not to take bait as it will just make things worse 🙂

• Like 5
(edited)
22 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Aw, that's a good one.  I think they were actually a close family. She did the reality show about moving to California to be with Melissa and Cooper, and she was a scripted noodnick.  Cooper seemed like a sweet kid.  I always enjoyed Joan's comedy. 

There’s a very big book about her life I read from the library.  If anyone is interested.  I’m not sure, but I think her daughter put it together.  Very interesting if you like her.  Lots of pictures.  Very heavy.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
39 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

My fridge is dying. I bought it like 5 years ago. I can’t believe it only lasted 5 years!

Did you contact the manufacturer?  Is it still under warranty?

• Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

My fridge is dying. I bought it like 5 years ago. I can’t believe it only lasted 5 years!

Well, you got 3 more years than I did from the new one I bought when I moved to MT. It was a GE, died 2 months after the warranty ran out. Bought a used one that has served me well for 18 years and it was built in 1998!!

Planned obsolesce anyone?? 

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 1

My fridge has fortunately held up a long time but I had to have service on my GE under the sink dishwasher less than two years after I bought it (It was my second one, it's the only model that will fit under the sink in my kitchen).  Amex covered me under their extended warranty but they no longer  provide that for my account.  I wouldn't normally recommend this but I did get service warranties for both my dishwasher and my stove - the stove stopped heating up properly last fall.  It was a quick fix but at least with the warranty they will come and fix things at no charge for that length of time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
22 minutes ago, roseha said:

Amex covered me under their extended warranty but they no longer  provide that for my account.

Yes, I forgot about the warranty you get if you pay with your card. I had my twenty year old gas oven quit on me, but I used youtube to find a fix that wasn't too expensive. Also it gave me an opportunity to deep clean the thing.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Bought a used one that has served me well for 18 years and it was built in 1998!!

That's when I bought my refrigerator.  I had to replace a part on it last year (part of the defrost system failed), but even at that age I didn't consider getting a new one instead.  When I remodel my kitchen, I will get a new refrigerator, but unless this one dies or needs ridiculously expensive repair in the interim, I'll keep it.

I got my washer and dryer around that same time, and still have both of those.  I had to replace the lid switch on the washer about ten years ago, but $50 to keep it going for a lot of years to come was a no-brainer.

My stove/oven combo came with the house and is from the late '50s; I have - <knock on wood> - not had to fix a thing on it in the 20 years I've lived here.

Even though I've chosen high-quality options, there is nothing electrical or mechanical I have purchased for my house in the last 10 years that will still be working after as much time as these old appliances have been working.  They are not built to last like they used to be.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2

Out of all those appliances, stoves will keep working the longest.  Not surprised that vintage stove is still working.  They don't have a lot of things to wear out.  I had to replace the oven thermostat on my (gas) stove, but that was a freak occurrence.  The sensor wire broke.  I cooked with it like that for three years before I gave in.  It had one temperature.  Very hot. 

• Like 5
On 5/29/2023 at 8:07 PM, BlueSkies said:

I have this friend that is one of those types that sort of always feels the need to get the last word in kind of things.

I've learned not to take bait as it will just make things worse 🙂

And to add to this I just got a text back from this friend I notice when I talk about such and such you clam up.

I'm still not responding to him.  Flimsy answers by me will just make matters worse imo 

• Like 6
47 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Out of all those appliances, stoves will keep working the longest.  Not surprised that vintage stove is still working.  They don't have a lot of things to wear out.  I had to replace the oven thermostat on my (gas) stove, but that was a freak occurrence.  The sensor wire broke.  I cooked with it like that for three years before I gave in.  It had one temperature.  Very hot. 

I haven’t used my oven in four years.  My kids bought me a very large Oster counter top oven, so I use that.  I use it for everything, and I even can fit a small Turkey in it or a big ham.  I only use the stove top, not the big oven anymore.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I haven’t used my oven in four years.  My kids bought me a very large Oster counter top oven, so I use that.  I use it for everything, and I even can fit a small Turkey in it or a big ham.  I only use the stove top, not the big oven anymore.

Until my son was born, I mostly used our multi-function toaster oven, even to bake cookies…or a small cake!  I used the big oven only at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  But these days, I’m using the big oven several times a week!  I did a lot more stovetop cooking back in the day, but these days, I find that it’s easier to do sheet pan or casserole meals.  Or I use my InstantPot.  I still cook in the toaster oven - it has an air fryer function, so I’ll do potato wedges or chicken fingers there. 

• Like 6

I have three size options in my kitchen, and love it -- my oven/stove combo has a full oven and a half-size, then I have a toaster oven (one of those small, old-school Black & Decker "Toast-R-Oven" models you can either set on the counter or mount under the upper cabinet) sitting on top of the stovetop (which has blank space next to the burners due the unit being wide because of the two ovens).  So I never have to heat up more than I need, without taking up any counter space.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I have three size options in my kitchen, and love it -- my oven/stove combo has a full oven and a half-size, then I have a toaster oven (one of those small, old-school Black & Decker "Toast-R-Oven" models you can either set on the counter or mount under the upper cabinet) sitting on top of the stovetop (which has blank space next to the burners due the unit being wide because of the two ovens).  So I never have to heat up more than I need, without taking up any counter space.

Between my Black n Decker 4 slice toaster oven, my counter oven and my microwave, I’m set.  I remember as a kid, not having any of these.  How did my Mother survive?  We had to heat things up on the top of the stove in a pot.  I never used jar sauces, but this morning before two doctor appointments, I cooked up raviolis, and used Rao’s marinara sauce.  Unbelievably the best sauce ever.  It’s perfect.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, kristen111 said:

Between my Black n Decker 4 slice toaster oven, my counter oven and my microwave, I’m set.  I remember as a kid, not having any of these.  How did my Mother survive?  We had to heat things up on the top of the stove in a pot.  I never used jar sauces, but this morning before two doctor appointments, I cooked up raviolis, and used Rao’s marinara sauce.  Unbelievably the best sauce ever.  It’s perfect.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Rao’s but have never used it.  We live on Eden’s Organic crushed tomatoes in a jar (no salt added).  

• Like 2

Rao's is good for a jar sauce.  Michael's of Brooklyn is also good.  Rao's is a restaurant no one can get into unless they have a connection.  Michael's of Brooklyn is a nice red-sauce restaurant in Brooklyn. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Rao’s but have never used it.  We live on Eden’s Organic crushed tomatoes in a jar (no salt added).  

Try it.  But, put lots of good Parmesan cheese on top from an Italian store. It makes a difference.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Rao's consistently wins taste tests of jarred sauces.  Including on America's Test Kitchen.

The lasagna wins the taste test too.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

I've been considering shutting down social media for a while. Nothing has happened recently, to warrant it, I just remember how free I felt that one day when facebook went down for five hours. The last time I shut it down, was maybe eight years ago, and I went back a month later. 

I was reading a discussion about it the other night, and most people said they just replaced it with reddit, or something else. I probably would, too. I might try, just to change the pattern, or something. 

On the subject of ovens and air fryers: my air fryer does this thing sometimes, where it just changes the temperature and the time of what's cooking, and I don't know why. It freaks me out when it does that. I have one by the instant pot company. It came with terrible instructions, and is supposed to be big enough to cook a chicken, but it isn't. 

My fridge ice-maker has been holding the ice hostage for over a week, so I'm back to using ice cube trays. 

• Sad 8
5 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Rao's is good for a jar sauce.  Michael's of Brooklyn is also good.  Rao's is a restaurant no one can get into unless they have a connection.  Michael's of Brooklyn is a nice red-sauce restaurant in Brooklyn. 

I haven’t been to Brooklyn in ages.  I was from Queens, then moved to Long Island.  We have Guiseppis out here.  Good Italian stuff.  Their bread is from the Bronx.  Expensive, but very good.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
24 minutes ago, Anela said:

My fridge ice-maker has been holding the ice hostage for over a week, so I'm back to using ice cube trays. 

Another example of how even top-of-the-line appliances are not of the same quality they used to be -- the built-in under-counter refrigerator in the bar of my game room is a U-Line, a little over 10 years old.  I have TWICE already had to replace the thermistor to keep the ice maker running.  Now, thankfully, that is a cheap part (and I do the labor myself), but it's the principle.

Just like Casablanca ceiling fans -- the one that's 40+ years old keeps on keepin' on.  The one I put in 20 years ago, I've had to replace the electronics on twice.  Come the hell on!  I'd readily accept that failure rate in something I bought for $100 at Home Depot.  Not in a Casablanca.

(Going back to your ice being held hostage: Assuming there's no blockage in the dispenser, but there's ice in the mold that is not being dropped, have you melted that stuck ice, cleaned out the mold, and had it make a new batch to see if that one will drop?  Sometimes it's just that simple.  But it might be that the lever to flip the mold into drop mode is not being triggered.)

• Useful 2
49 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Rao's consistently wins taste tests of jarred sauces.  Including on America's Test Kitchen.

I'll have to try that the next time I buy red sauce. I'm not a huge red sauce person and only buy Prego Original, which I was raised on (and hated). Now when I want to taste my mom's cooking without going back to CA I make spaghetti with Prego Original w/ a can of sliced mushrooms thrown in. I did upgrade my cheese to actual Parmasean vs green can Kraft.

I can cook, and I am sure I could make a kick-ass "simmer all-day" old family recipe type sauce if I were to get my hands on such a recipe, but, eh. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm not a huge red sauce person

I'm not, either - I love raw tomatoes (if garden grown from a good starter; I skip the tasteless factory farmed stuff in the grocery stores), but sauces with a cooked tomato base are WAY down my list; I love pesto, alfredo, cacio e pepe, brown butter, aglio e olio, bechamel, gricia, white clam, and four cheese sauce far more - which is why I keep a jar of Rao's on hand for when I need/want a good marinara but don't feel like making one.  It's good enough you could even serve it to others.

Jarred creamy/cheesy sauces, not so much.  Sonoma Gourmet makes a kale pesto with white cheddar sauce that I'll grab when Costco has it on special, but that's for when I'm feeling lazy making my own dinner or maybe a regular dinner with my parents, not for guests.  Same with Rao's alfredo.  And I don't even like Rao's pesto (the only pre-made pesto I like is Buitoni's, the little refrigerated container -- which is also the only one that passed the ATK taste test; they rejected all the jarred versions -- but I haven't had it in eons as I have a huge basil plant so make my own).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Never have used jarred sauce and never will. In the time it takes to boil a large pot of water and cook pasta, you can cook a quick marinara sauce. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
37 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm not, either - I love raw tomatoes (if garden grown from a good starter; I skip the tasteless factory farmed stuff in the grocery stores), but sauces with a cooked tomato base are WAY down my list; I love pesto, alfredo, cacio e pepe, brown butter, aglio e olio, bechamel, gricia, white clam, and four cheese sauce far more - which is why I keep a jar of Rao's on hand for when I need/want a good marinara but don't feel like making one.  It's good enough you could even serve it to others.

Jarred creamy/cheesy sauces, not so much.  Sonoma Gourmet makes a kale pesto with white cheddar sauce that I'll grab when Costco has it on special, but that's for when I'm feeling lazy making my own dinner or maybe a regular dinner with my parents, not for guests.  Same with Rao's alfredo.  And I don't even like Rao's pesto (the only pre-made pesto I like is Buitoni's, the little refrigerated container -- which is also the only one that passed the ATK taste test; they rejected all the jarred versions -- but I haven't had it in eons as I have a huge basil plant so make my own).

That's a glowing recommendation. I'll be sure to try it the next time I buy red sauce. I just cracked a jar of Prego so it will be a while. I prefer refrigerated white sauce but I find jarred lasts longer. I'll doctor up jarred white sauce, with a little butter, a bunch of chopped shallot, and garlic measured with my heart and pour it over ravioli or tortellini.

16 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

That's a glowing recommendation. I'll be sure to try it the next time I buy red sauce.

Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) has joined ATK in saying eating, or even serving in a pinch depending on circumstances, Rao's marinara is nothing to be ashamed of -- of course homemade is better, and most of the jarred stuff is something quite close to awful, but if you want a jar on hand to occasionally reach for, that's the one to grab.

• Useful 3