Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E05: Auditions, Part 5

• Start Topic

"604 (Auditions)"

New Orleans, Las Vegas and Nashville, Tenn.

March 19, 2023.

I really enjoy the segment of Luke not putting anyone through and Katy and Lionel agreeing with each other.  That's good TV.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1

I liked Fire. I thought she sounded better than some of the other people who've been sent through thus far. I'm gad Katy offered her another opportunity - will be interesting to see how that plays out. 

I also really liked Nailyah and Ophrah, and I thought Kamron's version of "Take On Me" was quite good, too. Those people were the standouts for me tonight. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Except for the weight loss guy, I'm not seeing any sob stories today and that's refreshing.

The Final contestant had the sob story of sob stories.  Foster care, mother with drug problem.  Surprised pregnancy at 18, works as stripper to support her kid.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I also really liked Nailyah and Ophrah, and I thought Kamron's version of "Take On Me" was quite good, too. Those people were the standouts for me tonight. 

Ophrah was so amazing.  That personality!  For her to have the confidence to say "You're going to love me today".  Just wow.  That whole segment was so much fun!

39 minutes ago, twilightzone said:

The Final contestant had the sob story of sob stories.  Foster care, mother with drug problem.  Surprised pregnancy at 18, works as stripper to support her kid.

I hadn't finished the episode by then obviously.

I feel like Fire really used her poor kid as a sympathy token.  I don't blame her.  It was just a bit much.  I don't think they ever end the episode on a "No", but kinda hard to see a possibility that they don't put her through after this second chance.  What state was that?  How would Fire even get to Nashville from wherever she was in the first place?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1

Kamron is adorable!

What was up with that first girl who supposedly walked in off the street, auditioned, then became the opening act for a concert the next night? How dumb does this show think their audience is? 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

That girl with the chicken farm was NOT good! I agreed with Katy and laughed at the face Katy made when Luke deemed her top 10 material. 

Fire was not very good either. Talent-wise she doesn't deserve to advance, but maaaan, did her sob story get me! I could empathize with her as she stood there with a lump in her throat as they very delicately told her no. I've been in that position before where I have to wait until I can get away so I can release the lump in my throat in big sobs. It sucks! And no, I cannot respond to whatever they're telling me, because if I talk my voice will betray me. I felt so sad watching her.

I'm glad she's getting a 2nd chance but I also wondered how she's supposed to get herself to Nashville. 

• Like 5

I would like a moratorium on blonde country singers, male and female. 

So damned tired of this turning into Christian Idol. 

Kid was absolutely adorable, and I'm positive someone told her to play by the wall with the tickets hoping or encouraging her to offer one to her mom. And yes, she was better than some people they'd already put through. 

• Like 5

I don’t even watch this show but when I turned on the tv it was this channel. Nailya was singing & I was curious how  the judges were going to tell her that she was God Awful! Well wasn’t I surprised when they praised her. Seems like a real bullshit kiss ass show if they couldn’t tell this woman she was bad. 

• Like 1

Liked the worship leader who did the Zack Williams song. 
Liked Orphah. 
Thought Fire was better than a lot of people they’ve already put through this season, so I’m not sure what the deal was with not sending her. 

Nailya….that was rough. Thought the guy from Wal Mart sounded like most people at a karaoke bar. Same for the chicken farm girl. I can go to a karaoke bar and hear 10 of her on a given Friday. 

3 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

Thought Fire was better than a lot of people they’ve already put through this season, so I’m not sure what the deal was with not sending her

Producer manipulation for the DRAMAH!!  I thought she was pretty bad, but fully expect her to be put through to Hollywood next week.

Similarly, Mariah (blond dreadlocks) 'opening' for the Noah and Hunter Girl show. Her audition didn't seem to be good enough to warrant that, but somebody up there likes her, I guess.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I haven't been watching this show for years, but happened to catch the last 10 minutes or so waiting for the next program to come on. I thought Fire was quite impressive, more maybe for her personality than the adequate singing. Her daughter was charming. I actually liked the way she sang the part about the moon in that delicate ethereal voice better than the full voice that Katy asked of her, but promising she could take direction so easily. Oh show, now I'm going to have to come back and find out if she makes it in Nashville.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Similarly, Mariah (blond dreadlocks) 'opening' for the Noah and Hunter Girl show. Her audition didn't seem to be good enough to warrant that, but somebody up there likes her, I guess.

Totally agree. Not sure how much more obvious they could've made it that there's some staging that takes place with the auditions. Especially when you realize how many people have to sign off on someone opening a show, including the venue itself and the record labels associated with the headliners. 

• Like 6
19 hours ago, Blissfool said:

That girl with the chicken farm was NOT good! I agreed with Katy and laughed at the face Katy made when Luke deemed her top 10 material. 

Fire was not very good either. Talent-wise she doesn't deserve to advance, but maaaan, did her sob story get me! I could empathize with her as she stood there with a lump in her throat as they very delicately told her no. I've been in that position before where I have to wait until I can get away so I can release the lump in my throat in big sobs. It sucks! And no, I cannot respond to whatever they're telling me, because if I talk my voice will betray me. I felt so sad watching her.

I'm glad she's getting a 2nd chance but I also wondered how she's supposed to get herself to Nashville. 

Absolutely.  That was real sadness.  I could feel the lump in her throat.  Bless her.  Hope something good comes out of this for her.

• Like 2

There was an article on the Yahoo homepage about Fire’s audition, and it said:

Of course, it was probably all a made-for-TV setup; I’m not even sure if Fire told her whole story, since the fan site Idol Chatter reports that she works for the Humane Society, was once a E2 Private in the U.S. Army, and was recently accepted to her “dream school,” the New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts.

• Useful 2
10 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

There was an article on the Yahoo homepage about Fire’s audition, and it said:

Of course, it was probably all a made-for-TV setup; I’m not even sure if Fire told her whole story, since the fan site Idol Chatter reports that she works for the Humane Society, was once a E2 Private in the U.S. Army, and was recently accepted to her “dream school,” the New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts.

If this is true, it is nothing like the picture they painted of her background.  I do believe most of what we see in these audtions are staged, if not all of it.  They put people through that I thought we terrible.  I realize I am not a singing talent scout I just know what I like to hear.  Hollywood week is going to crush some of these contestants.

This is my first time watching the show in probably 6 years or so.  So, I noticed we do not see Ryan Seacrest as much as we used to.  Is it because he has morning show etc and does not have the time to give to the show now?  And the pants he had on last night were weird looking.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, gaPeach said:

This is my first time watching the show in probably 6 years or so.  So, I noticed we do not see Ryan Seacrest as much as we used to.  Is it because he has morning show etc and does not have the time to give to the show now?  And the pants he had on last night were weird looking.

I mentioned to my hubs that Ryan doesn't seem to interact with the judges at all anymore which does seem strange...

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 3/19/2023 at 8:21 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I feel like Fire really used her poor kid as a sympathy token.  I don't blame her.  It was just a bit much.  I don't think they ever end the episode on a "No", but kinda hard to see a possibility that they don't put her through after this second chance.  What state was that?  How would Fire even get to Nashville from wherever she was in the first place?

I thought the show used her poor kid as a sympathy token. Luke was quick to take her on his lap to watch her mom audition. She must have babysitters for when she works, so having her daughter there seemed staged. I can't imagine her not getting picked next time we see her, or why even see her at all? Plus she already had #Idol after her name.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, ForReal said:

I thought the show used her poor kid as a sympathy token. Luke was quick to take her on his lap to watch her mom audition. She must have babysitters for when she works, so having her daughter there seemed staged. I can't imagine her not getting picked next time we see her, or why even see her at all? Plus she already had #Idol after her name.

But she went along with it.  The show may have suggested it, but she could have said No.  Just like last season, Noah and his girlfriend were really not a couple, even though it was implied otherwise.    But they went along with the "happy family" narrative.

Edited by twilightzone
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, twilightzone said:

But she went along with it.  The show may have suggested it, but she could have said No.  Just like last season, Noah and his girlfriend were really not a couple, even though it was implied otherwise.    But they went along with the "happy family" narrative.

Oh, I agree, she went along with it. I just don't think she coached her daughter to go "find" the gold ticket, I think the show made a lot of that happen.

• Like 2