Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: Timeshares

• Start Topic

Main topic: Timeshares 

Also: Trump speaks about elimination of "death tax" on farms and hating your children; Fox News reaction to collapse of Silicon Valley Bank; bank failures; for St. Patrick's Day. local news did what they always fucking do

Original air date 2023.03.19

• Like 1

...what in the name of all that is good and holy was that video from Trump? Wooooooooooow. That was...something. 

So does the word "woke" even have any actual meaning anymore, with the way it's just being tossed around for the hell of it anymore? Just shut up already, Fox News. 

(On the flip side, Elizabeth Warren nailing it once again.)

Maybe that time share guy who was like, "You are all like policemen/firemen/doctors/etc." should hang out with the guy on that morning show who decided to depress the hell out of everyone about Irish people dying in shipwrecks and being identified by their clothes. Good lord...

I love that "Spongebob" made fun of time shares. I remember an episode of "South Park" poking fun at the concept, too - the boys and their parents all go to Aspen for vacation, and their parents get stuck in this endless loop of time share presentations and no matter how many times they try to escape, they just get stuck in another one :p. 

Yeah. They always sounded stupid to me as it was, but to see just how many hoops one has to jump through to even try and get out of a contract for one in this segment is just crazy. It's absolutely absurd that this sort of thing should be legal. 

As for Dave Ramsey, all I know about him is that I remember seeing his financial advice books at work, and they always looked exactly like the other "get rich quick" scheme type stuff that so many other financial "experts" have put out, so the bit about him here was not all that surprising to me.

• Like 13

That Trump speech to farmers was truly unhinged. I can’t even begin to predict whether his fans will love it or think “wtf”?

That timeshare (and timeshare exit companies) story is so sad. It sounds like the next thing the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau should go after. It’s just unbelievable that there should be contracts that are that impossible for people or their heirs to get out from under.

• Like 10
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

So does the word "woke" even have any actual meaning anymore, with the way it's just being tossed around for the hell of it anymore? Just shut up already, Fox News. 

“Woke” had become a dog whistle (or maybe a blow horn) for people that don’t want to admit they’re prejudiced. And because of that I can’t stand that word.

Like John, I’m curious to see what was cut out from that already batshit speech.

8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I love that "Spongebob" made fun of time shares.

With the late Pat Morita, may he rest in peace.

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

"Woke” had become a dog whistle (or maybe a blow horn) for people that don’t want to admit they’re prejudiced. And because of that I can’t stand that word.

Ding ding ding. That's the best definition of the word I've ever seen and 100% accurate. It's just become a catch-all for "things I don't like."

I could relate to the time shares story, years ago I went on vacation in Orlando, and we found out we could get gift certificates for Ron Jon's Surf Shop if we sat through a time share presentation. Then we were individually (as couples) taken into small rooms with a salesperson very aggressively trying to get us to sign a contract. I mean, they were practically grabbing our hands and forcing us to sign the paper. It was absurd.

That said . . . I don't know how sorry I feel for people who were "tricked" or "coerced" into signing up. It just implies they had no agency to stand up and leave. I mean they don't lock you in a room or chain you to the floor, there's nothing preventing you from saying "No" and getting up and leaving. And I know people were "fooled" into thinking it wouldn't cost that much or would pay dividends or whatever but again, do your homework. Don't sign something when you don't really understand it.

• Like 7
30 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

That said . . . I don't know how sorry I feel for people who were "tricked" or "coerced" into signing up. It just implies they had no agency to stand up and leave. I mean they don't lock you in a room or chain you to the floor, there's nothing preventing you from saying "No" and getting up and leaving. And I know people were "fooled" into thinking it wouldn't cost that much or would pay dividends or whatever but again, do your homework. Don't sign something when you don't really understand it.

John led off the segment by admitting that knowing this is a scam isn't a huge revelation and then showed numerous examples in pop culture to that end going back as far as Married With Children. I certainly don't want people being taking advantage of. However, I think there's some burden on the buyer here, since it is so well known. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, ahisma said:

That timeshare (and timeshare exit companies) story is so sad. It sounds like the next thing the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau should go after. It’s just unbelievable that there should be contracts that are that impossible for people or their heirs to get out from under.

If I have a criticism of the piece it's that John didn't mention anything that could be done or who has the authority to stop this. It's actually not a CFPB issue, but more of a Federal Trade Commission matter or something for state legislatures to act on.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Ding ding ding. That's the best definition of the word I've ever seen and 100% accurate. It's just become a catch-all for "things I don't like."

I could relate to the time shares story, years ago I went on vacation in Orlando, and we found out we could get gift certificates for Ron Jon's Surf Shop if we sat through a time share presentation. Then we were individually (as couples) taken into small rooms with a salesperson very aggressively trying to get us to sign a contract. I mean, they were practically grabbing our hands and forcing us to sign the paper. It was absurd.

5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

John led off the segment by admitting that knowing this is a scam isn't a huge revelation and then showed numerous examples in pop culture to that end going back as far as Married With Children. I certainly don't want people being taking advantage of. However, I think there's some burden on the buyer here, since it is so well known. 

It is well known, which is why John mentioned that the industry now goes out of it's way to hide what they are doing. Just as many/most MLMs now tell their prospective targets that they aren't really MLM but something new and innovative. I'll bet many people watching wouldn't know at first or even second glance that those resort packages/plans were actually a new name for timeshares. And I have seen first hand that professional con men and slimeballs can manage to convince even relatively savvy individuals to sign or agree to things that they wouldn't under other circumstances.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

i'm must be one of the few people that like their timeshare.  course, i didn't pay for it, my parents did, way back when it was not very expensive, and i "inherited" it.  i do still have to pay the maintenance fees, which yes, do go up a bit every year.  and when i don't want to use my scheduled week, i deposit it with a timeshare exchange company, and then pay to use my points to book a timeshare somewhere else (which I have done quite often).  usually, i get more points with my week deposit than i can use, so i offer the points to friends and family and book a week for them somewhere (only charging them the exchange fee and guest certificate).  there is also a fee with the exchange company to be a member (which is like $30 a year for the basic membership and yes, the exchange company offers better perks for the "premium" membership - which i've declined to use), and if i don't use all my points after 2 years and want to keep them another two years, that is also like a $150 fee.

So altogether, I spend about $1,500 a year for my timeshare.  for that, i get a two bedroom/2 bathroom suite with an open kitchen, dining and living room (usually with a sofa bed), and laundry closet in probably 90% of the places i book (occasionally the places have been smaller).  the resorts also generally have pools, play areas, other recreational activities and/or access to local activities.  Of the places I've stayed in 30 years, i have thought 95% were worth it, i've only been disappointed in a couple.  i figure i'm paying about $225 per day to stay at a decent resort with a large suite where my family can then save a little money on some meals (especially breakfast). if i'm traveling with extended family or friends, i can usually book two rooms for just an additional exchange fee, which lowers the daily cost even more.  

For me, it has worked.  eventually, when i get older and my husband and i don't travel as much, we will just book weeks for our kids to use and they will inherit my timeshare.  

21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't know how sorry I feel for people who were "tricked" or "coerced" into signing up. It just implies they had no agency to stand up and leave. I mean they don't lock you in a room or chain you to the floor, there's nothing preventing you from saying "No" and getting up and leaving.

I've been on many sales pitches.  when you use a timeshare and check in, they always ask if you want to attend a presentation in exchange for a free something.  sometimes, the pitches have been very lowkey, but definitely the last few i went on, they were ratcheting up the pressure to buy a timeshare even though i already had one.  people don't want to immediately just get up and leave because they feel after they've spent the last couple of hours doing the tour and listening to the pitch, they want their 'free gift.'  sometimes those 'free gifts' are pretty good.  i've gotten free rental cars, $1,000 resort credit, free waterpark tickets, a boat/snorkle trip, and other stuff.  so i get that some people don't want to give that up and just walk out (to get the free gift, you have to get the 'manager's signature on a special paper' to then turn in to another person).  but because of how aggressive the pitches have become lately, i've just declined to attend the last few times i've used a timeshare regardless of how nice the 'free gift' was. 

the salespeople absolutely make it sound affordable and easy to use.  for some it can be, but definitely not for everyone.  when i want to exchange my week and go somewhere else, i don't always get to go where i want, when i want.  i have to be somewhat flexible.  some places, you can get with just a month or two planning, others, you need to book a year in advance.  and not everywhere i want to go has a place that is even in the exchange.  and what i currently have may not even be offered as much anymore.  more and more places, as John said, don't offer you a firm week, but a 'flex week' or points that you have to then 'book' with the resort you bought into.  that makes it even harder. 

i am lucky, i have great week in a pretty desirable place, that my kids will probably even want to use at some point.  but i've been on enough sales pitches to know that others are not the same, not good deals, or even ok deals.  you definitely have to do your homework and not get pressured to buy the first time.  trust me, if you think you might be interested in a particular timeshare or vacation club after a sales pitch, say no, then when you get home from vacation, research the place/club.  if you still like the place enough, then go back another time and go to another sales pitch.  they will still have them, they don't run out.

• Useful 5
On 3/20/2023 at 3:40 AM, Annber03 said:

Maybe that time share guy who was like, "You are all like policemen/firemen/doctors/etc." should hang out with the guy on that morning show who decided to depress the hell out of everyone about Irish people dying in shipwrecks and being identified by their clothes. Good lord...

The whole 'using the Aran jumper for identification' is a bit of an urban myth though.

Still, at least none of the segments referred to 'St. Patty's day', so it could have been worse.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 3/19/2023 at 9:47 PM, ahisma said:

That Trump speech to farmers was truly unhinged. I can’t even begin to predict whether his fans will love it or think “wtf”?

They will love it. I think when he says anything that's bizarre or confusing, his followers will explain it by saying he was joking so he could make the libs' heads explode. 

I've never been interested in getting a timeshare or attending a sales pitch. However, I fear that if I did, I would get sucked in. I hate to admit it, but I've often found it hard to say no. Just yesterday I was in a store where I was sat in a chair and had serum applied under my eyes. Yes, the results were amazing, but so was the price: amazingly expensive. I didn't want to buy it, but I did. I don't know why I don't have the backbone to say no. And therefore, I will never attend a timeshare pitch. I THINK I would resist, but I cannot take that chance.

Love seeing M'Wanda. 

• Like 6
On 3/19/2023 at 11:47 PM, ahisma said:

I think his fans will love it. The Republicans love to bring up family farms and "Death Taxes" even though less than !% of family farms had to pay federal tax in 2020 (the last year that I could find records for) that came out to a grand total of 50 people. The estate has to be worth over 11.5 million dollars. But when people hear "family farm" they picture Old MacDonald eking out a living on a small farm which he wants to pass onto his sons. I think they'll just ignore the tangent he went off on about if you don't like your family. Of course, if you don't want to leave it to your family, why would you care if some of it got taken away in taxes?  Very few of his base has anywhere near the amount where they need to be worried about an estate tax anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Interesting topic, in that not trusting timeshares is baked into plots (not included: South Park and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia), yet not only are people coerced into those, a cottage industry has popped up to get people out of timeshares . . . and they’re as shady as the people they’re appearing to thwart. Wanda Jo could have her service “cubed” by the end of the year. “Squared” seems more of a inevitability than a gag.

The “M’Wanda” or “muh Wanda” thing . . . is that derived from televangelists, back when John and Rachel were goofing on them? It’s just weird.

St. Patrick’s Day coverage will never change. I’m just waiting on the inevitable Peeps bashing. Hand on heart, I saw Pepsi that was Peep-flavored. I didn’t try it, but I immediately wondered if LWT would rail on that.

On 3/19/2023 at 11:40 PM, Annber03 said:

I remember an episode of "South Park" poking fun at the concept, too - the boys and their parents all go to Aspen for vacation, and their parents get stuck in this endless loop of time share presentations and no matter how many times they try to escape, they just get stuck in another one :p. 

“Ass-pen.” Also, Stan was forced into a screwball ski movie plot. Good times . . . expect for the adults dragged into those meetings. Given how the show never went back to Aspen, maybe they found a way out.

On 3/23/2023 at 12:59 PM, wknt3 said:

M'Wanda Forever

john-oliver-jokes-about-the-mcu-movies-lacking-substance-in-the-latest-episode-of-his-talk-show-001.jpg

John hates the MCU. Remember him channeling a nerd trying to explain a dog alien, only to realize the guy from the toilet ad was supposed be Rocket/“the raccoon”?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

The “M’Wanda” or “muh Wanda” thing . . . is that derived from televangelists, back when John and Rachel were goofing on them? It’s just weird.

Yeah, I can't remember where this came from (or even if the reference was explained at first). 

St. Patrick’s Day coverage will never change. I’m just waiting on the inevitable Peeps bashing. Hand on heart, I saw Pepsi that was Peep-flavored.

Barf.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

“Ass-pen.” Also, Stan was forced into a screwball ski movie plot. Good times . . . expect for the adults dragged into those meetings. 

"You're going down, Darsh!"

"...yeah, probably." 

XD

6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I didn't want to be the stupid one asking about that, but I don't get it either. And it sounds super annoying to me, similar to Colbert's "y'all".

On 3/21/2023 at 4:27 PM, Ceindreadh said:

The whole 'using the Aran jumper for identification' is a bit of an urban myth though.

Still, at least none of the segments referred to 'St. Patty's day', so it could have been worse.

I’m a knitter, and this myth has been exposed in many knitting publications and videos. 

On 3/26/2023 at 11:12 AM, Lantern7 said:

Yes, it started with the televangelist bit and has just carried over.

• Like 2