Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Do The Right Thing

I like both characters, but i could really happily go without seeing another Max and Taylor sex/makeout scene again. Was awkward for some reason.

Carter still needs extensive therapy. Bird and the rest of her "friends" are losers and not the type of people Carter needs to hang around. Crash is still nuts.

Would it really be that easy to put Carter in jail? All it takes is Bird's word that Carter stole the jewelry?

I think I've spent too many years watching Law & Order, because in the last scene..I was wondering why Elizabeth didn't immediately return to duty as a cop and put out an APB for Crash, his car, and her daughter. Hunt their asses down. Two dumb teenagers will eventually make mistakes and slip up allowing themselves to be found. It's not that hard..

Edited by grandemocha

I cannot fathom, in any universe, Carter ever wanting to be friends with Bird again.  So I'm sure next week they'll be back to being besties.

Six reallys, Awwww.

David got caught, finally!  He's just so freaking weird, I mean smashing the cookies, ugh. 

It's nice how in the beginning Elizabeth was so cold and standoffish and now she's really sweet and motherly towards her kids, caressing and hugging them.  I feel really bad for her.  She's by far the best parent on this show, affair and all.

• Love 5

I'm beginning to wonder if David is as much of a danger to Carter as Lori is. Because he SUCKS.

We knew the book thing would blow up in his face and I enjoyed every moment of that. Except:

1. Crocodile tears! The audacity!
  2. David gets mad at Elizabeth so he crushes cookies CLEARLY MARKED FOR GRANT. What the hell? Yeah, you showed her, David.
  3. David is a lying liar who lies. And then snots at Elizabeth and Kyle about their lie. Singular.
  4. David is a TERRIBLE WRITER. The excerpts of Finding Carter were completely lacking in any insight or gift with language. He was mean about Max!
  5. David is all too eager to believe Carter did in fact steal the jewelry, because it's a distraction from him being the biggest fuckup in the family. It was like he wanted to believe it, and I could just imagine the hackneyed, cliched way he'd write about it in Finding Carter. Womp, womp, David, Carter isn't a thief. Unlike you, the THIEF OF HER LIFE! (ok maybe that's OTT)

Actually the one that bothers me the most is that he's such a hack writer.

• Love 8

This is taking place in 2014, right? David not only has his book on actual paper, but he doesn't even have a copy of it anywhere? WTF??? Are they going to pretend he forgot to use carbon paper in his typewriter? This is so stupid.

They let a cop's kid be bailed out by another kid? These cops are as bad as the cops on Pretty Little Liars.

Poor Grant, why did David smash his cookies? And why is Grant protecting David by lying about the cookies selling out?

I like both characters, but i could really happily go without seeing another Max and Taylor sex/makeout scene again. Was awkward for some reason.

I think it was supposed to be, it's her first time (did they actually have sex?) & he's nervous = awkward.

How many more episodes in this season?

• Love 5

This is taking place in 2014, right? David not only has his book on actual paper, but he doesn't even have a copy of it anywhere? WTF??? Are they going to pretend he forgot to use carbon paper in his typewriter? This is so stupid.

I don't think that was the only copy. And I'm not sure if Carter even believed that when she threw the pages out of the car. We have seen David working on his computer, so he should have it on there. And they said that the printed version had notes from the editor, so I'm sure the editor also kept a copy for himself.

I am glad that others are as ticked off about the cookie-smashing as I am.  What the hell, indeed?!  Poor Grant...I feel like maybe he is going to run away in the season finale.  Would anyone even know he was gone since he's largely ignored?  I just can't get over the cookie-smashing.  David, you are awful!

I thought that Max and Taylor were sweet.  I don't think that Taylor could have wished for a better first boyfriend.  Yeah, Max is a little ditzy, but he shows so much respect for Taylor and women in general, so he somehow turned out OK despite maybe not having the best home life.

This is potentially super spoilery, so I'm going to hide it.  In the preview for next week's episode,

they show Crash shooting someone and blood all over the place. You can see the arm of the shooting victim, and it looks like there is a hair tie around the wrist!  They made it a point to show that Max always has a hair tie on him (putting his hair up during crouton time, etc.). Crash had better NOT shoot Max. If they kill off Max, I'm not sure I care to watch the second season.

• Love 2

Yeah, I'm sure they're not implying that Carter just through away her father's life's work, or some nonsense. I sure hope not. Although she did leave an actual paper trail, heh.

I think there would be an APB on Crash's car; the episode ended with Elizabeth standing in the police station, shocked and angry. Cops were running around behind her, so I'm assuming the hunt is on.

Grant didn't protect his father by pretending the cookies sold, he didn't know who smashed them. (Although I thought, what a waste of cookies when he dumped the entire container in the trash, probably only half a dozen in the middle were broken). I felt so bad for the kid because, yet again, family drama had to ruin a little thing that was meant for him.

It's interesting that Taylor is the typical responsible oldest child, Grant is the typical forgotten middle child, and Carter (having arrived most recently) is the typical over-indulged youngest child.

Edited by Shermie
  • Love 1

I like that it was awkward. Taylor is pretty awkward on her own and first time sex is mostly weird and awkward. I appreciate that they played that (to me) somewhat realistically. I always hate it on other teen shows how so magnificent first time sex is. I do love Max more and more. He is so fascinating a male character. 

Grant didn't protect his father by pretending the cookies sold, he didn't know who smashed them.

I can't decide if he knew who broke them or not but I figured he was lying to his mother so she wouldn't leave again. He didn't want to tell her anything that might upset her. 

• Love 4
what a waste of cookies when he dumped the entire container in the trash, probably only half a dozen in the middle were broken

This was one of the most upseting scenes for me, because damn, more than half those cookies were salvageable, chocolate chip cookies are yummy, and broken cookies are the perfect thing to stress-eat when you're feeling sad about your shitty parents, Grant.

I really (x6) need both Crash and Bird to die in a horrible fire and get off this show. Especially Crash. And yeah, next week it looks like Crash gets even more eff'd up.

It's probably Alexis Denisof's acting ability, but for whatever reason I started to feel sympathy for David in this episode? I don't know. I'm sure I'll go back to thinking he's a horrible person next week.

Not since she played Annie Dutton on my beloved "Guiding Light" have I enjoyed Cynthia Watros in any role as much as I do her as Elizabeth.

• Love 4

Not since she played Annie Dutton on my beloved "Guiding Light" have I enjoyed Cynthia Watros in any role as much as I do her as Elizabeth.

Annie Dutton was awesome.  Totally crazy but yet you couldn't help but love her.

I think Gabe may be growing on me.  Probably only due to his lack of screen time as of late, he hasn't been on enough to show his annoying side.

SonofaBiscuit -- Crash shoots

Max, sorry to say, but it sounds like Max doesn't die. This spoiler site says he's "fighting for his life." I can't imagine they'd kill off the best character, so I'm gonna assume that he makes it through this.

(We should probably make a spoiler thread for this show!)

One of my Facebook friends who is (like many of us) not in this show's demographic quoted Max's, "It's your first time. You should have a lamp" line today, and a few of her friends commented to say they love Max. He really is the standout character on this show, isn't he?

• Love 3

One of my Facebook friends who is (like many of us) not in this show's demographic quoted Max's, "It's your first time. You should have a lamp" line today, and a few of her friends commented to say they love Max. He really is the standout character on this show, isn't he?

It's his hair, his hair outshines everyone else. I think Max's hair needs it's own thread :-)

Edited by GaT
  • Love 4
It's probably Alexis Denisof's acting ability, but for whatever reason I started to feel sympathy for David in this episode?

I actually felt the opposite. I thought his smashing the cookies was so OTT that I expected him to twirl his mustache after he was done. 

• Love 3

I actually felt the opposite. I thought his smashing the cookies was so OTT that I expected him to twirl his mustache after he was done. 

Yeah.  I love Denisof, but sometimes his portrayal of David feels like I'm watching him channel the Angel episode where Wesley gets touched by the misogyny-demon and tries to kill Fred. Which is fine for a performance in which a demon makes you increasingly psychotic and BSC, but it's a little tonally bizarre for a family drama, even a MTV family drama.  And yes, the cookie homicide was both offensive on behalf of Grant, and on behalf of my gallon of milk which was scandalized. 

Max and Taylor and Max&Taylor continue to be among my favorite parts of this show. And they are two of the characters that seem to bring out the best in Carter (though thankfully she is becoming more rootable generally).

I doubt it will happen, but after the pressing charges and the art incident/flyer bombing, I would love to see Carter tell Bird to shove it.  But then, how would they use that modified shipping crate clubhouse set?  But she will

cut off Crash after he shoots Max, right? Right?  I know I won't be able to look at him.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3

The part of the show that does not work for me at all is Max and Taylor.  These characters seem so blatantly written to be sugary sweet cute that they come across phony.  It is bad fan fiction. 

The jewelry storyline felt like when you are watching a show where you know the writers don't like a couple to stay together for too long and suddenly this weird and forced conflict happens to ruffle everything up again. So that was weird because there was a lot of stuff already going on that Carter had a right to be pretty pissed about and could have caused the desired relationship hiccups. Carter finds out her dad lied to her about Lori, oh but that's okay. Then she finds out that her dad wrote the book anyway and it's pretty terrible, but that's mostly okay too.

But sure, let's have Bird's mom show up for her annual visit so Bird can randomly accuse Carter of theft and get her arrested. And Elizabeth asks questions about finding the jewelry and it's all whoaaa the parentals suck, I gotsta go.

Oh, and those poor cookies. :(

• Love 1