Type keyword(s) to search

Anybody Watching 2023?

• Start Topic

I was glad Hosea won.  I didn't see his season of TC so I had no pre-conceived opinion of him and I liked him tonight.

I was happy that Sarah Hauman went out first.  Her uncle and I are friends because we belong to the same Kiwanis club here in the Midwest.  A few months ago, he arranged for her to be the guest speaker (via Zoom) for a meeting.  I was looking forward to it because I thought she'd talk about her season on TC.  Instead she barely mentioned it and just talked about herself.  She wasn't a good speaker and seemed a bit self-centered.  I wasn't impressed.

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, mlp said:

I was happy that Sarah Hauman went out first. . . just talked about herself.  She wasn't a good speaker and seemed a bit self-centered.  I wasn't impressed.

I've never seen her before, but I'm not surprised at your story.  She came across within her 15 minutes on the show as self-centered.  Not sure what makes me feel that way, but it was a vibe I got from her pretty quickly.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, ZoqFotPik said:

I understand why they did this way, but do people who live in Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, and Ohio actually consider themselves living in the "North"?

Michigan and Minnesota, sure. Ohio and Iowa, not so much. 

• Like 3

Please help me. I watched the show from last night (southern chefs). I swear I recognized Sarah (I think). Was she on Top Chef? She won this round and will be in the finale next week. Her food looked great and the mistakes she made were very minor.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Gah!! GZ and his chopsticks again! Really, pudding and ice cream with chopsticks??? Give me a break!

On a video I saw online, he says, "Well, chopsticks has the first four letters of Chopped.  That's it."

I think it's just an affectation.  His use of chopsticks to eat ice cream and pudding is ridiculous.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nitrofishblue said:

Please help me. I watched the show from last night (southern chefs). I swear I recognized Sarah (I think). Was she on Top Chef? She won this round and will be in the finale next week. Her food looked great and the mistakes she made were very minor.

She was on Top Chef:  World All-Stars.  Sara Bradley.

• Like 2
On 7/19/2023 at 8:58 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

Michigan and Minnesota, sure. Ohio and Iowa, not so much. 

I understand why you think that, but I consider the North to be the states that fought for the Union in the Civil War.  Ohio contributed more troops than any other state and also the 3 winning generals (Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan.)  Sorry OT but the question was raised.  

Back OT I like this competition series.  We have seen some very high level cooking.  Top Chef alums killing it!

• Like 1
On 7/26/2023 at 11:10 AM, AZChristian said:

She was on Top Chef:  World All-Stars.  Sara Bradley.

Thank you for your response. I knew I had seen her before but my brain did a flakeout. I hope she wins. She actually got great comments from GZ in the first round. Her food looked good and she didn't make the mistakes the other chefs did.

When they showed Hosea having difficulties in dessert, I thought oh this must mean he wins. Glad I was wrong. I didn't want his sob story to tip the scales. From the comments, Sara had the best dishes in all 3 rounds. In dessert, how did they use the fries sundaes? Was that Sara's ice cream? 

• Like 1

Yes.

Super happy for Sara. Everything she touched was delicious. My favorite moment may have been Sara’s slamming’ return to Alex’s “concern” about fish and mayo. LOL! Fish and tartar sauce. LOL! Love Sara. Guess they didn’t want it blindingly obvious she was the champ.

ETA Alex telling Sara that response made her a good salespeople? No sale, Alex, Sara just put a what-do-the-kids-call-it? sick burn on you—with a smile that dripped, bless your heart.

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

Loving Gregory as a judge. He's insightful, sincere and I adore him just as much as I did when he was on Top Chef. Bring him on permanently Chopped!!!!!!!!

I like Alex too so it was lovely having 2/3 judges that I enjoy.

And Sara!!!!!!!!! I was thrilled to see her! 

It's going to be hard to go back to normal Chopped after this!

• Like 1
On 7/19/2023 at 5:49 PM, ZoqFotPik said:

I understand why they did this way, but do people who live in Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, and Ohio actually consider themselves living in the "North"?

grew up in Minnesota and it was often referred to as "North Country" at least in advertising in the 1970's.

Good grief, the Tuesday August 29th Chopped was a disgrace and horrible!!! Not one chef did a good job. Plus the lady that won should have gone out in the very first round for the horrible way she cooked the scallops. The judges had nothing good to say about her efforts other than the salad was OK. She did not improve in the second round. When I saw that she was the winner I think I lost a lot of faith in the judging. How she won had me scratching my head in dis belief. One of the worst shows Chopped has every telecast!!!!

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, nitrofishblue said:

Good grief, the Tuesday August 29th Chopped was a disgrace and horrible!!! Not one chef did a good job. Plus the lady that won should have gone out in the very first round for the horrible way she cooked the scallops. 

Actually, she was chopped.  Her opponent won.

• Like 1

The chef that won was the one who totally over cooked the scallops in the skillet then she put them into the oven. They were a complete mess. The lady that went out in the first round tried to make cervice (please pardon my spelling). She messed up by cutting the fish in irregular shapes.

3 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

Good grief, the Tuesday August 29th Chopped was a disgrace and horrible!!!

I have noticed that the QUALITY of the contestants on Chopped has descended to a level never contemplated when the show began.

I still recall many EXCELLENT chefs who made their reputations and careers by being on the show. 

Lately, it's quite daunting to find contestants possessing that level of ability and, thus, the show has dimmed my interest in continuing to watch it.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

The chef that won was the one who totally over cooked the scallops in the skillet then she put them into the oven. They were a complete mess.

No, she lost. Matthew won. I do agree that this was not the greatest group of chefs.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ZoqFotPik said:

No, she lost. Matthew won. I do agree that this was not the greatest group of chefs.

This was one of those circumstances they have on this show from time to time, where the least worst won.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, pdlinda said:

the show has dimmed my interest in continuing to watch it.

Amen. And I don’t recall the last one I watched. With few exceptions, I’m done watching some of these judges—anywhere. 

This isn’t the place to discuss the evolution of TV chefs, but suffice to say, GZ and Scott Conant aren’t my cup of tea.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

Amen. And I don’t recall the last one I watched. With few exceptions, I’m done watching some of these judges—anywhere. 

I would say one of my MAIN OBJECTIONS to the new "production values" of the show is the seeming "requirement" for the judges to start yelling "encouragement" to the working chefs throughout each round!  I can just envision the production meetings where this ridiculous practice was hatched:  "This will put a lot of energy/excitement into the show".....UH...NO...all it adds is annoyance and unnecessary clamor that is very off-putting to the contestants and the audience.  It's a cooking competition, not a New Year's Eve celebration. 

Another change I notice is that they seem to be heavy into adding "private chefs" to the show.  I take that to mean that the number of chefs working in  restaurants are harder to recruit.

Years ago, I was shocked to learn that the CHEFS are responsible for funding their appearance on the show!!  That seems very expensive to me, especially post-COVID so I wonder if that has something to do with the declining quality of the contestants.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

I would say one of my MAIN OBJECTIONS to the new "production values" of the show is the seeming "requirement" for the judges to start yelling "encouragement" to the working chefs throughout each round! 

Yes!  I hate that almost as much as I hate it when a judge gets up and goes behind the work stations and asks questions of a chef who is already stressed out.  That is the opposite of helpful as is yelling "You got this!"  Leave 'em alone.

• Like 4

Maybe it's just me, but they seem to be OK with the themed shows -- military, parts of the country, and even the one where contestants spun the roulette wheel (sorry, having a senior moment and can't remember that theme title).  It's the random four chefs episodes that have been pretty weak.  And I agree there are a lot more private chefs.  Not that that's "wrong" in any way, but the % seems to have risen.  Like others, I'm appalled that the contestants have to bear the entire expense of being on the show.  Come on Food Network...you can open the purse strings.

• Like 1

What's with Chopped showing their Halloween show in the 3rd week in September?  I know all the other Halloween shows started, but those have multiple episodes and the series will end around Halloween.  For Chopped to show their Halloween show now is ridiculous.

• Like 2
On 9/20/2023 at 3:18 PM, Rammchick said:

What's with Chopped showing their Halloween show in the 3rd week in September?  I know all the other Halloween shows started, but those have multiple episodes and the series will end around Halloween.  For Chopped to show their Halloween show now is ridiculous.

Yes!  And if I'm reading the schedule correctly, new Chopped episodes will not be on for a number of weeks, instead yet more of Beat Bobby Flay.

• Sad 2

A five-part tournament, CHOPPED: JULIA CHILD'S KITCHEN, premieres Tuesday November 14 at 8PM ET/PT.

Hosted by Ted Allen and a a rotating panel of judges including Scott Conant, Susan Feniger, Amanda Freitag, Alex Guarnaschelli, Nilou Motamed, Michael Voltaggio, and actress and author Isabella Rossellini, the competitors must use not only their culinary skills, but also their knowledge of what makes Julia Child so iconic attempt to put an innovative and modern spin on Julia’s recipes using mystery basket ingredients.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RealityCheck said:

A five-part tournament, CHOPPED: JULIA CHILD'S KITCHEN, premieres Tuesday November 14 at 8PM ET/PT.

Is this a rematch between the competitors from the fantastically charming The Julia Child Challenge (it doesn't sound like it; you'd think they'd mention that, since it was another FN production)?  Otherwise, why not just make another season of that instead of this lazy knock-off as part of another show?

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2

Possibly my favorite thing about the Julia Child Challenge was that the judges and contestants sat together at a family table and shared the dishes that were made. Can't see that happening with Chopped,  unfortunately.

• Like 3

Well, for sure it leaves a lot to be desired vs The Julia Child Challenge. It will be a totally different type of format, maybe they will be able to make it work within the Chopped universe... I hope...

I'm enjoying the Julia Child challenge so far.  I thought the right chef won both episodes.

The Chopped set has needed an overhaul for years.  The blue paint and decorations along the walls and passageway behind the cooking stations look good.  I wish they'd leave them there after the tournament.

• Like 4

I tuned in to watch Joy (works locally with Rick Bayless). Was sorry to see her go—the choice had been between her (great food) and her competitor (not as tasty, but dishes were closer to the brief). So I guess that settles that (what’s more important here?). Ok, bye, I’m back to not watching often (because watching Scott Conant isn’t enjoyable).

I enjoyed this competition more than most of the competitions they've had on the show.

Congrats to the winner but I hoped Mike would win and was disappointed when he was chopped.  I thought his perfect cooking of the tenderloin, when the other two overcooked theirs, should have outweighed any over-reduced sauce.

• Like 3