Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E04: Syreeta's Journey

• Start Topic

Syreeta thinks that anyone trying to help has an ulterior motive, but now she's gotten so big she desperately needs help. She's learning to let down her guard for her husband, but weight loss surgery will be tough if she can't learn to trust the surgeon.

Original air date 2023.02.22

Just to get a glimpse into how my mind works:

Thought #1: wow, that house is super dirty and run-down; they could be hoarders

Thought #2: oooh! That is such a cute kitten! 

Thought #3: I hope they don't abandon that cute kitten!

Thought #4: I hope her husband doesn't drop that mattress on the cute kitten!

Thought #5: Kitty, be careful walking near the car door! Don't want you to get hurt!

Thought #6: They've moved to Houston; did they bring the kitten? (I see they brought the empty and dirty fishtanks).

Overall, kind of boring- someday we may see someone make it to surgery again. I loved how Dr. Now called out the husband: "He's not answering me, he's just looking at da floor!" I also noticed (maybe after some previous lawsuits) that the show is careful to show Dr. Now giving out the booklet, describing the diet in more detail, telling patients to read it nightly and emphasizing the exercises.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, LeesburgLee said:

This episode has reinforced my vow to never wear leggings. 

I wear leggings when I'm home but never out of the house (except to take out the trash or whatever and that only after dark).

3 hours ago, KateHearts said:

Thought #2: oooh! That is such a cute kitten! 

I never did see the cat!

• Like 3

I liked Syreeta, too. She mostly stayed positive and, shockingly, in spite of the filthy condition of their house, always looked well put together. I don't know where she found so many outfits in her size...excluding the tights, yikes.  Her husband seemed nice, but like he could barely work up the energy to speak. Was shocked to see a smile on his face that one time. I hope she succeeds. I also hope that cat is ok..we never did see it again...

Always laugh at how over it Dr Now's nurses always seem. They should do a scowl off with Syreeta's husband.

• Like 6

I did find the conversation when she asked him if he would still be with her if she was successful a bit concerning. While he more or less said he would still be with her, he did seem hesitant. I have to shake my head at these dudes. It’s to the point of she will die if she doesn’t change. There’s big beautiful women and there’s alarmingly morbidly obese.

I wasn’t sure if he was looking at his phone while Dr.Now was speaking but I guess he was staring at the floor? Very rude not to be engaged for the appointment.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Chatty Cake said:

I did find the conversation when she asked him if he would still be with her if she was successful a bit concerning. While he more or less said he would still be with her, he did seem hesitant. I have to shake my head at these dudes. It’s to the point of she will die if she doesn’t change. There’s big beautiful women and there’s alarmingly morbidly obese.

I wasn’t sure if he was looking at his phone while Dr.Now was speaking but I guess he was staring at the floor? Very rude not to be engaged for the appointment.

I think because if the guy (or woman) just liked bigger people for aesthetic reasons, they likely wouldn’t have chosen a partner that would be on this show. Many people struggle with food, are larger, emotional eaters etc but are still functional adults with lives, jobs, hobbies, interests etc.

By the time you make it to Dr Now your weight gain has seriously disabled you, your issues with food etc have hindered your ability to participate in society. Now it is different if you met and married someone who was just larger and got injured or gained a bunch of weight throughout the years (you have a shared life and maybe kids together). But Lawrence and Syreeta had only been married a year- they started seeing each other a time where her weight had already hindered so much of her life. I think Lawrence wanted to be with someone who needed him, and wouldn’t leave (for whatever reason). 

• Like 5

think Lawrence wanted to be with someone who needed him, and wouldn’t leave (for whatever reason). 

I think that Syreeta could lose a significant amount of weight and still be pretty dependent on Lawrence. It didn't sound like she had ever held down a job for long or managed a household before Lawrence; I think she was largely couch-surfing. 

I do hope that their relationship has some healthy components and that she is successful both in her marriage and in her weight loss.

• Like 3

In the first part of this I half expected Matt Paxton to show up. That house was a hovel. But I liked Syreeta and Lawrence. Unlike many of the other couples we see on this show, they actually seemed to like one another, and they had fun together. I don't think I've ever seen a 600-pounder walk up a hill before, and Syreeta was a good sport to get out of her comfort zone and roll down the hill. I also loved the water aerobics guy.

For a change the 5-minute "therapy session" seemed to have a genuine breakthrough moment for Syreeta, who (again, unusual for a 600-pounder) gained genuine insight into the reasons why she is 600 lbs. I really hope she makes it, gets her weight loss surgery and her breast reduction ("Don't want dese tiddies no more!").

• Like 7
2 hours ago, essexjan said:

In the first part of this I half expected Matt Paxton to show up. That house was a hovel. But I liked Syreeta and Lawrence. Unlike many of the other couples we see on this show, they actually seemed to like one another, and they had fun together. I don't think I've ever seen a 600-pounder walk up a hill before, and Syreeta was a good sport to get out of her comfort zone and roll down the hill. I also loved the water aerobics guy.

For a change the 5-minute "therapy session" seemed to have a genuine breakthrough moment for Syreeta, who (again, unusual for a 600-pounder) gained genuine insight into the reasons why she is 600 lbs. I really hope she makes it, gets her weight loss surgery and her breast reduction ("Don't want dese tiddies no more!").

When she rolled down the hill it reminded me of how much I used to like to do that as a kid! Her laughter was genuine. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

What did I just watch, did I slip into an alternate universe. She was nice, did not have five dogs, did not cook from the bed, was fully dressed, made the car trip without major drama. I am so confused. 😃

Seriously I wish her the best in her weight loss journey!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
56 minutes ago, Texasmom1970 said:

What did I just watch, did I slip into an alternate universe. She was nice, did not have five dogs, did not cook from the bed, was fully dressed, made the car trip without major drama. I am so confused. 😃

Seriously I wish her the best in her weight loss journey!

She did cook from bed. There’s a scene of her sitting on the side of the bed and cooking on a hot plate. 

She seemed like a sweet person, I wish her all the best. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Just watching the rerun and I have to ask, what the heck is Syreeta prepping dinner on? It looks like children’s play furniture, a plastic bin, a globe and a football. Wait a minute, is that Dr. Now's book on the floor next to her? 

C76D002F-7670-4389-B14B-9243DAF71C96.jpeg

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 4
On 2/24/2023 at 2:03 PM, Chatty Cake said:

I think he was unengaged because that is a coping mechanism for how he can stay out of harm's way when there's something negative about Syreeta.  He didn't want to have to get drawn in and talk about stuff that Syreeta undoubtedly doesn't want to hear him say.

On 2/24/2023 at 9:46 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I think Lawrence wanted to be with someone who needed him, and wouldn’t leave (for whatever reason). 

I was very very surprised that he cleaned out his 401K for her, so they could go to Houston!  That's dedication.