Type keyword(s) to search

The Traitors in the Media

• Start Topic

FYI,  if you don't have Peacock but would like to check out Traitors, there's going to be a marathon of the whole season this weekend on Bravo.  It starts on Saturday at 5 p.m. Eastern with the first through sixth episodes.  The seventh episode through the finale airs on Sunday starting at 2:30 Eastern. 

Wasn't sure where to post this, but Bravo is airing all the episodes of the Traitor US today and tomorrow April 29 and 30th. I had set my DVR to record the series when they put the first 2 episodes on, not realizing that it was going to be on Peacock. Just noticed it started recording Episode 3 at 6:15pm CT.

[eta: Looks like they're re-airing S1E1-E6 starting tomorrow morning at 6:30am CT. Then episodes 7-10 and reunion will be on later in the afternoon/evening.

Edited by Lurk
56 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Good. Clearly, this is what they wanted Traitors U.S to be all along, as they cast some of the worst non-celeb players I've seen from a show. They clearly were interested in the celebrity aspect of the show, and it differentiates them from the UK and AUS versions. 

So I'm not surprised. I don't necessarily love it being all celebs, but it beats the mix they had for season 1 and failed at.

• Like 7

I think I'll like this format better.  Last season I felt like it needed to be one or the other-celebs/reality stars or all civilians.  While I enjoyed seeing Christian bug out way too much over being a traitor or Quentin's horribly bad reads (never mind the fact that no one suspected Cirie of all people), I think there's a chance this could bring more drama and better game play.  I've seen a lot of reality TV stars say they are onboard with doing this show.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm glad it's all reality tv people over the mix. I hate when they mix veterans with newbies.

Me too.  I didn't like the format last season.  I think it should be one or the other.  Plus, reality show personalities (especially seasoned ones) are more apt to bring the drama than newbies.

I'm actually digging this cast.  Dan, Janelle, Parvati?  Sign me up!

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 3

So apparently there are two more names leaked and one of them I never would have guessed:

Spoiler

Maksim Chmerkovskiy from Dancing with the Stars.  Never would have guessed someone from that show, especially a pro (I don't know if it's a contract thing but I feel like you never see the pros doing the reality show circuit like this).  Oddly curious how he might do, but I'm actually glad at the variety of reality show personalities we are getting.

• Like 2

Full cast revealed:

https://deadline.com/2023/09/the-traitors-season-2-cast-peacock-1235552421/amp/

Carsten “Bergie” Bergersen (Love Island USA)  

Chris ‘C.T.’ Tamburello (The Challenge) 

Dan Gheesling (Big Brother)  

Deontay Wilder (Boxer)  

Ekin-Su Cülcüloğlu (Love Island UK) 

Janelle Pierzina (Big Brother)  

Johnny “Bananas” Devenanzio (The Challenge)  

John Bercow (UK Parliament)  

Kevin Kreider (Bling Empire)  

Larsa Pippen (The Real Housewives of Miami)  

Marcus Jordan (Basketball Player)  

Maksim Chmerkovskiy (Dancing with the Stars)  

Mercedes “MJ” Javid (Shahs of Sunset)  

Parvati Shallow (Survivor)  

Peppermint (RuPaul’s Drag Race)  

Peter Weber (The Bachelor)  

Phaedra Parks (The Real Housewives of Atlanta)  

Sandra Diaz-Twine (Survivor)  

Shereé Whitfield (The Real Housewives of Atlanta)  

Tamra Judge (The Real Housewives of Orange County)  

Trishelle Cannatella (Real World: Las Vegas) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alan mentioned the renewal last night on Jimmy Fallon.  He acted like his role on the show was a lot of fun.  They have him in another room getting ready, with a live monitor showing the breakfast room, while the players gather and talk.   He was also pleased because he gets to keep the wardrobe from the show.  :-) 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Thalia said:

Alan mentioned the renewal last night on Jimmy Fallon.  He acted like his role on the show was a lot of fun.  They have him in another room getting ready, with a live monitor showing the breakfast room, while the players gather and talk.   He was also pleased because he gets to keep the wardrobe from the show.  :-) 

I would have negotiated the same deal.  His costumes are fabulous, and you can tell he's having a ball wearing them.  His getup for the funeral procession needs to be in my closet like yesterday.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Out of a cast of 22, only 6 are from Bravo, so I don't really think it's oversaturated with them. And then the only other person from a Peacock related show is Bergie. I guess maybe you could count Ekin-Su since she's from Love Island UK. I actually expected more NBC/Peacock/Bravo/E! people. And I do think it's probably still a possibility of more in season 3.

• Like 3

Only 6?? Why does it feel like they respresent half of the cast? Perhaps it's just the editing - they feature them a lot because of the "drama." Then again, I'm also pretty ignorant about reality tv. I know Survivor, Big Brother, and The Bachelor are on CBS/ABC - I just assumed all of the other shows are on Bravo. Again, 👵

32 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I'm conflicted.

I liked the first season. The whole reason I watched season 1 was because Cirie was in it, and I liked her from Survivor. I liked it enough to watch all of it. I liked the mechanics of the game, but I didn't overly love the season. I love the second season with the reality show stars. The drama is intensified. I feel like they play harder than the regular people did on season 1, which I like. That put me on the side of having more reality stars appear on the show.

However, I've now watched season 1 of The Traitors UK. I assume the cast was all regular non-reality people before the show. Since I don't watch any UK reality TV, they were all regular people to me anyway. The UK season 1 show was phenomenal. All of the things that I like about season 2 of the US show with the reality stars, the regular UK people gave me all of it. It was good drama and they played hard.

Maybe a compromise can be had here? US reality stars mixed with regular UK people?

• Like 3

I prefer regular players over reality stars.  The normal people do not play to the cameras as much.  I have watched 2 seasons of UK, 2 seasons of Australia, 1 season of NZ, 1 season of Canada and now 2 seasons of US. I have to say that the US seasons have been the ones I have enjoyed the least.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 4
3 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I have to say that the US seasons have been the ones I have enjoyed the least.  

Agreed. Instead of getting UK people, maybe we need the UK Casting people.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I have watched 2 seasons of UK, 2 seasons of Australia, 1 season of NZ, 1 season of Canada

Where are you finding those? 😭

I know one season of Australia is on Peacock.

(edited)
3 hours ago, AntFTW said:

I know one season of Australia is on Peacock.

Peacock has the first seasons of the UK and Australian versions. 

The second season of the UK version is coming March 8.

The second Australian season comes on March 28th.

The first NZ season is coming March 28th. 

9 hours ago, AntFTW said:

Maybe a compromise can be had here? US reality stars mixed with regular UK people?

I don't think the problem was the decision to cast regulars rather than it was that they decided to mix the two groups.  You had people who regularly did TV (most of the celebs' case were on multi-year TV shows or who had done repeat stints on a variety of competition shows) up against people who were new to TV and trying to get used to the cameras.  It was a weird mix.  I think it wouldn't have been so odd if everyone were on the same stage related to being on TV.

Since it only takes 2 weeks to film, I'd rather they just do two cycles a year--one with "celebs" and another with regular people.

I'm also a little irritated that they're attributing the big rise in popularity to the celebs they selected.  The UK Season 2 also had a big spike in popularity and they didn't switch to celebs.  That cast was regular people again.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Since it only takes 2 weeks to film, I'd rather they just do two cycles a year--one with "celebs" and another with regular people.

They take two weeks to film an entire season?

I enjoy watching the celebrities play. We already know their personalities, and of course we have our favorites, so it's interesting to see how they play THIS game. As Dan soon found out, this is not Big Brother.

I'd rather watch "real" people on Survivor. Although I also enjoy the all-star versions.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, AntFTW said:

They take two weeks to film an entire season?

Yep.  They mention it in the article linked above.  They probably essentially shoot an episode a day.

• Useful 2
On 2/25/2024 at 9:53 PM, LakeGal said:

Crave TV in Canada has all the Traitors seasons.

Crave TV almost got my money just so I can watch all the international shows 😂

I was a credit card number away from subscribing until @Irlandesa said they’re coming to Peacock next month. I can wait one month for free 😁

On 2/25/2024 at 11:37 PM, Irlandesa said:

The second season of the UK version is coming March 8.

Dammit. I thought they were putting up the whole season. They released the first three episodes.

Vanity Fair has an interview with CT and Trishelle:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/the-traitors-season-2-winners-break-their-silence-it-was-a-crazy-ending

Some of the more interesting tidbits:

Cannatella: No, I did not want to cut him out of the money. I was letting the game paranoia get to me. Alan had said something like, “Well, there could still be a traitor amongst us,” and Alan [Cumming] is super convincing. So I was like, “Oh my God, he’s talking about CT, isn’t he?” Because I just knew that MJ was not a traitor. I didn’t think she could pull it off and lie like that. I don’t think CT is a liar, but I know that he’s so smart, and he’s played these games before. I kept thinking, “Oh my God, maybe he helped me get the shield because he didn’t need it. He didn’t light my torch. Maybe he did that because he knew he wasn’t going to murder me, because he’s a traitor.”

CT Tamburello: That’s a good one. I didn’t think of that.

Cannatella: So I was like, “Oh my God, maybe he was my traitor angel this whole time protecting me.” So I wrote his name down. But I knew the second that I crossed the T that it was a huge mistake.

CT, were you tempted to then write down Trishelle’s name along with MJ in retaliation?

Tamburello: Oh, yeah. Back in the day, I would’ve been like, “Oh yeah? F you. Let’s get her, MJ.” I don’t know why MJ wrote your name down twice, though. I thought she would’ve been mad at me. After we did that Spider-Man meme, maybe I didn’t read the rules clear enough—but I honestly thought we were going to be able to [vote] red or green again. And I don’t know about you, but I would’ve probably leaned toward a green and we all shared the money.

Trishelle, after you were wrong about voting out Peppermint in the first episode, you could never fully redeem yourself in some fans’ eyes. How do you look back on that elimination and deal with critical viewer response?

Cannatella: I completely understand where people were coming from. They were upset because Peppermint is such a strong personality, and she definitely deserved to be on the show longer. I think my downfall was that I went in seeing everyone as competition, and I did not see anyone in particular having a platform or anything like that, and I just had blinders on. So whenever Peppermint stood up there and said, number one, that she was a faithful, and number two, talked about how she wanted to represent and show people about her community, I was devastated. I cried for a good hour and a half after that. They only showed a little bit, but I was so upset because she deserved to stay and share herself with everyone. I was a huge part of her going home and it felt awful.

Unfortunately, it was a game. In the beginning, you’re basing your votes on assumptions. I had misread someone’s reaction to something that I said. But ultimately, no one listened to me anyway. I don’t think that my vote matters so much. It was a herd mentality. No one wants to be the odd vote out, right?

• Like 3