Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Family Style

• Start Topic

When Ben leaps into an Indian family to try to prevent their beloved family restaurant from burning down, he finds an emotional connection with their matriarch through memories of his own. Magic and Jenn share a surprising revelation with Ian.

Original air date: Feb 27, 2023

2 hours ago, secnarf said:

I feel like this is not promising for the show's chances of renewal.

It has already been renewed for a second season.  It could always get reversed (since that seems to be in vogue these days) but I wouldn't read too much into scheduling.  They're going right into production once they wrap on the first season without a break*. 

There are only 18 episodes in this first season which means QL only has 6 more episodes left to air.

*This is likely do to a potential writers' strike

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, secnarf said:

I feel like this is not promising for the show's chances of renewal.

That is what I was thinking. 

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It has already been renewed for a second season.  It could always get reversed (since that seems to be in vogue these days) but I wouldn't read too much into scheduling.  They're going right into production once they wrap on the first season without a break*. 

There are only 18 episodes in this first season which means QL only has 6 more episodes left to air.

*This is likely do to a potential writers' strike

I didn't hear about season 2. Good. 

Anisha Jagannathan as Manisha
15d88dfedbeb65e5f7900ad3a2dce56c
Nandini Minocha as Sonali Prasad
Laura Niemi as Kathy Tanner
Meera Simhan as Padmini "Paddy" Kumar
NUP_199913_01179.jpg
K.T. Thangavelu as Gauri  Kumar
Anisha Jagannathan as Manisha Prasad
Roman Arabia as Diego
Ruben Vernier as Kris
Ken Patterson as Fireman
Leena Kurishingal as Cousin #1
Shurud Shanto as Cousin #2
Yuvi Grewal as Cousin #3

4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I liked this one.

Also, Ian should show bare arms more often. That outfit was sensational.

I liked this episode too. The Leap story felt very old school in a good way. I also liked Ian's storyline as well. 

• Like 3

The show still struggles to balance a Leap story with the ongoing mystery back at HQ. Neither story gets the full attention it needs as a result.

I'm glad they went straight to Ian with the information about his presumed leap instead of keeping him in the dark or dragging that out. But nothing really came of it aside from his emotional struggles with it.

I did like the classic Leap ending though. I think the last ten seconds was the best part of the episode.

Question: if Ben is literally  possessing the bodies of those he leaps into, then why were the mother and sister characters looking up at him as if he towered above them, since he's supposed to be in the body of a much smaller woman? I've fan-wanked that he looks like Ben to Addison in the imaging chamber but the show's concept of leaping is really hard to reconcile. 

23 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Question: if Ben is literally  possessing the bodies of those he leaps into, then why were the mother and sister characters looking up at him as if he towered above them, since he's supposed to be in the body of a much smaller woman? I've fan-wanked that he looks like Ben to Addison in the imaging chamber but the show's concept of leaping is really hard to reconcile. 

I guess they would have to hire actors who are taller than him? 

That was a really good episode. I am tired, though, of all these short leaps. Sam sometimes had leaps that lasted days and it's amazing how Ben can wrap everything up in just a few hours. 

Meanwhile, cute shout-out to Pretty Little Liars which starred Troian Bellisario, Donald P's daughter. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I'm glad they went straight to Ian with the information about his presumed leap instead of keeping him in the dark or dragging that out. But nothing really came of it aside from his emotional struggles with it.

Two points about that:

1. For two people who kind of wish they'd never broken up, Ian and their ex didn't have a lot of chemistry together.

2. Speaking of dragging things out, I hate it when shows keep a mystery going for the entire season. For god's sake just tell us what made Ben leap and start telling a new story. It doesn't have to be one story per season. That only works now if you have short seasons, max 10 episodes.

24 minutes ago, rwlevin said:

I am tired, though, of all these short leaps. Sam sometimes had leaps that lasted days and it's amazing how Ben can wrap everything up in just a few hours. 

Exactly. That's what I remember too, Sam got chances for down time. How is Ben not collapsing from sleep deprivation by now?

• Like 2

The only thing I didn't like about this episode was how a couple who just got married gave up their wedding venue so a bunch of strangers could turn it into a restaurant. I can handle leaping through time, but that part was just too far fetched. 😆

I'm confused how that guy knows that it was Ian who leapt into him. If I remember correctly, in the original show, the person being leaped into gets placed into a holding cell, where they could talk to people in the lab, but they never interacted with Sam. Is that not the case now? I always felt bad for the people being leapt into because they didn't get to actually experience some very important moments in their lives. I wonder if they at least have memories of it?

21 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

The only thing I didn't like about this episode was how a couple who just got married gave up their wedding venue so a bunch of strangers could turn it into a restaurant. I can handle leaping through time, but that part was just too far fetched. 😆

I think they said something like the wedding people agreed to extend their facility for a few more hours (presumably after they were done?) Still far fetched, but not quite as bad as giving up the venue completely. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I think they said something like the wedding people agreed to extend their facility for a few more hours (presumably after they were done?) Still far fetched, but not quite as bad as giving up the venue completely. 

Thanks, that makes more sense, albeit still unlikely. lol

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The show still struggles to balance a Leap story with the ongoing mystery back at HQ. Neither story gets the full attention it needs as a result.

Does Ian and the team not know that Ben remembered he leapt to save Addison? Because if they did, it seems silly for Ian to be stressing about what could make them betray the project by leaping. Obviously, they did it for Addison.

If they don't know, why hasn't Addison told them? I know Janis said to keep things close to the vest, but Ian is obviously really upset about all this.

1 hour ago, pezgirl7 said:

I'm confused how that guy knows that it was Ian who leapt into him. If I remember correctly, in the original show, the person being leaped into gets placed into a holding cell, where they could talk to people in the lab, but they never interacted with Sam. Is that not the case now? I always felt bad for the people being leapt into because they didn't get to actually experience some very important moments in their lives. I wonder if they at least have memories of it?

Magic has said that after Sam leapt into him he didn't remember anything that happened, but had visions of him. So they are going with the idea that people who were leapt into have visions like that. 

• Like 3

I was surprised they showed Ian the drawings right off like that. I think it was the right call though, especially in light of Magic saying before that maybe they shouldn't have shut Janis out. Also, clearly, we all thought Ian in the drawings was older, and Ian said the same. Using Ziggy to run possible simulations was clever, but with so many unknowns I don't know what you could predict. 

They all know Ben went Janis for the new code. I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned. 

The mother was a piece of work for a while. Even Ben was getting worn out. 

I was really surprised the slumlord blew the restaurant up so early. With all the guests coming, even if they didn't make bank, they could have done it later in the night and used the same excuse, while still ganking the take for the dinner. 

I enjoyed the touch of Ben being thrilled to cook and sneaking bites. 

15 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I liked this episode too. The Leap story felt very old school in a good way. I also liked Ian's storyline as well. 

They even included Addison giving the rundown of the family this time. Again, no surprise; leaning more to the leap than HQ typically has been the better episodes. 

2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Magic has said that after Sam leapt into him he didn't remember anything that happened, but had visions of him. So they are going with the idea that people who were leapt into have visions like that. 

Even on this current show, in the last episode, at the poetry slam, the leapee did a whole poem about it, and then there was a scene with Magic where he said it happened to him too. That's where they got the drawings. Magic said something like, 'you're not driving the bus'. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Why don't we see Ben's reflection in the mirror anymore?  

They showed the girl he lept into in the reflection of some kitchen equipment, I think.

3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Does Ian and the team not know that Ben remembered he leapt to save Addison? Because if they did, it seems silly for Ian to be stressing about what could make them betray the project by leaping. Obviously, they did it for Addison.

Good question but I think this is even more reason for Ian to be the guide for at least a leap or two to see if they can shake some of Ben's memories free.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I’ve always figured that once a person goes back into their own body, they’re not supposed to have any memory of being leapt into. But clearly some fragments remain. The part I don’t understand is how they would have visions of what the person that leapt into them looks like. The physical body is separate from the consciousness. Although I guess we don’t know what happens to the leapers physical body, do we? I hope they get a chance to explain that. 

1 hour ago, pezgirl7 said:

I’ve always figured that once a person goes back into their own body, they’re not supposed to have any memory of being leapt into. But clearly some fragments remain. The part I don’t understand is how they would have visions of what the person that leapt into them looks like. The physical body is separate from the consciousness. Although I guess we don’t know what happens to the leapers physical body, do we? I hope they get a chance to explain that. 

Well in the original show, when the person was in the waiting room, if they looked in the mirror they saw Sam. I don't know if they all would have done it, but they did show it in one episode.

In this show, I don't really see a logical explanation, but maybe it is supposed to be some kind of spiritual thing where if someone possesses your body you can see part of them?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

Well in the original show, when the person was in the waiting room, if they looked in the mirror they saw Sam.

Thanks! I didn’t remember that. So it sounds like they swap bodies. I would think the same thing happens since the show seems to be mostly following the canon of the original show… except that they’ve never mentioned having a waiting room. 

13 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I don't think it was the Married Couple, but more like the parents who paid for the venue. The got a free meal out of it, but the restaurant people should have offered them some money as well, since wedding aren't cheap. Since the arson woman got caught shortly after she burned down the restaurant, they probably didn't have to pay back the $30,000.

• Like 1

That was my take as well. What does that say about the wedding spread though that these people wanted to stay around and eat again?

I don't recall if Addison told the rest of the team about the reason for Ben leaping or not. I feel like there's a line from Ian to her about it, so maybe so. 

I did like "Don't you have a team of geniuses on the other end of that?" "Yes." "Well?" It's the first time I think Ben actually gave Addison an order. 

Ben seemed more take charge to me in this episode. 

• Like 2

They didn't give up their wedding venue. They agreed to let the restaurant use it after the wedding was over "in exchange for the meal of their lives". I agree some cash would have been good, but I'm also not sure how many of the wedding party was staying for the meal. If it was a lot, then maybe that balances out. 

I got hung up on the A story--the leap--on this one, because it was all about money.  Literally $30,000 would have fixed all their problems.  Restaurant doesn't burn down, family stays together.  The leap was in 2009.  It took me 30 seconds to look this up

https://www.lottery.net/powerball/numbers/2009

If only Ben had some sort of ally in 2023 who could provide this information.

There was one episode of the original series, in the last season, where Sam was trying to save his host from some bookies by placing a bet on a horse race in 1958.  He asked Al for the winner of the race, but Ziggy refused to provide that information, because Sam had said that Ziggy could not provide that sort of information.  Okay, decent excuse.  But I didn't need a parallel hybrid supercomputer to find that information and neither would Addison.  She could literally look up the information on her cell phone without even leaving the imaging chamber.

Also, the present day B-story was boring as heck.  All the present day B-stories are.  They're intentionally slow paced.  I feel like I'm watching Lost, and the writers are so in love with their own mysteries that they need to drag this out. Also I have an incredibly strong feeling that they aren't going to resolve anything before the series gets cancelled.

(edited)
On 2/28/2023 at 11:14 AM, iMonrey said:

23 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

'm confused how that guy knows that it was Ian who leapt into him. If I remember correctly, in the original show, the person being leaped into gets placed into a holding cell, where they could talk to people in the lab, but they never interacted with Sam. Is that not the case now? I always felt bad for the people being leapt into because they didn't get to actually experience some very important moments in their lives. I wonder if they at least have memories of it?

Ian is a they, not a he. So is the person they leapt into.

They have said multiple times on this show that the imaging chamber shows Ben as himself. It also showed "Leaper X" as himself for the same reason, which is how they tracked him down in the present.

In the original show, the person leapt into switched places with Sam. Here it appears that Ben takes over their body and they're just in limbo until he leaves. That and Ziggy not having a personality are the two unexplained differences between this show and the original.

21 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

If they don't know, why hasn't Addison told them? I know Janis said to keep things close to the vest, but Ian is obviously really upset about all this.

The fact that the episodes were reworked and re-shuffled before the season aired is the only explanation I can think of for why they wouldn't make such an obvious leap (pun intended). They already know why Ben leaped, yet it wasn't even mentioned in this episode. I'm not sure that we've explicitly seen Addison tell the others, but I wouldn't expect her to keep that secret, especially when, as you said, Ian is angsting about it.

18 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

They showed the girl he lept into in the reflection of some kitchen equipment, I think.

Yes, they did. Ben took a moment to check out his reflection (and liked it) after leaping in the teaser, while bringing the food out to the front. It was in the mirror on the outside of a cabinet door.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
17 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Thanks! I didn’t remember that. So it sounds like they swap bodies. I would think the same thing happens since the show seems to be mostly following the canon of the original show… except that they’ve never mentioned having a waiting room. 

Well the writers of this show have said no more waiting room. They did not explain what happens instead though.

• Like 1
On 3/1/2023 at 12:27 PM, Nerfect Drifty said:

I got hung up on the A story--the leap--on this one, because it was all about money.  Literally $30,000 would have fixed all their problems.  Restaurant doesn't burn down, family stays together.  The leap was in 2009.  It took me 30 seconds to look this up

https://www.lottery.net/powerball/numbers/2009

If only Ben had some sort of ally in 2023 who could provide this information.

There was one episode of the original series, in the last season, where Sam was trying to save his host from some bookies by placing a bet on a horse race in 1958.  He asked Al for the winner of the race, but Ziggy refused to provide that information, because Sam had said that Ziggy could not provide that sort of information.  Okay, decent excuse.  But I didn't need a parallel hybrid supercomputer to find that information and neither would Addison.  She could literally look up the information on her cell phone without even leaving the imaging chamber.

I would imagine that if Ziggy couldn't do it, it was programmed that way, likely due to ethical guidelines that the humans in the program would also have to follow. I mean, if you gave winning numbers to someone, it would dilute the winnings for whomever it was that actually won, and who knows what effect it would have on those people's lives. Best not to mess around in that area.

• Like 1
On 2/28/2023 at 3:10 PM, pezgirl7 said:

Ben was able to get the venue and the cooking equipment (not just warmers as would be used at a site like that) through the magic of PLOTTTT!!!!!

Partially, but he also tasked Addison and the team with finding a venue. I mean, I could search newspapers from 1977 in Portland to find who got married and where. They've already established Ziggy is the most powerful computer in the world, so it couldn't be too hard. 

iirc, they got the equipment from their extended family. 

Ziggy in and of itself has always been a plot device, but that's part of the buy in to the show. 

Ben did the work of bringing the family together to put on the event. They thought he was supposed to prevent the restaurant from blowing up, but that wasn't exactly the challenge. He still has to come up with the idea of the pop up. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Ziggy in and of itself has always been a plot device, but that's part of the buy in to the show.

I miss Ziggy being the chatty AI with the big ego who liked spilling tea. Too bad they had to take her voice away.

• Like 1