Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Bloodline

• Start Topic

I know it is called Miss Scarlet and the Duke, but I actually like Eliza better interacting with Nash (last week) and Fitzroy (this week).   Let Duke have Arabella, just don't make me watch it.   Jealousy will make Eliza foolish and cartoonish  (because really, secretly, despite all that she has gone through to be a detective, all she actually wanted was a man) and jealousy always ends up making female characters trite and unoriginal.

Really, was the whole story just to get us to the final scene?

Edited by Mermaid Under
  • Like 8
  • Mind Blown 1

Well, I wanted one satisfying Fitzroy punch this season. Thank you, show, for delivering. And confident, competent Fitzroy is fast becoming my favorite character. 

I was slow to get on the Moses train, but he was awesome this episode, too.

I feel like Ivy and Mrs. Hall on All Creatures got somewhat similar storylines this week, and Ivy's was much more cartoonishly played... Not looking forward to the inevitable Eliza jealousy, either. Otherwise it was a decent episode.

• Like 6

I liked Eliza working with Moses and Fitzroy. Neither looks down at her and they treat her like an equal. Did I miss the Duke? Yes, but not as much as I thought I would. I like the show centering on her a bit more, working with others. Am I mad about him and Arabella? Yes, go ahead Duke, you can have her! I still think she is shady and I get a feeling that will be how the season ends. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I didn't find the case all that interesting. What was more interesting to me were the individual character or story developments of Fitzroy, Moses, Ivy and even Phelps.

I liked how they tried to make Phelps a more three-dimensional character and not just a straight bad guy, even though I still don't like him. His back story doesn't excuse how he treats others around him as an adult.

Did William spend the night with Arabella? Phelps told Eliza that the Duke returned "last night," so I assumed that when Eliza spied on him, William was leaving Arabella's the morning after. Given the era, that would be rather daring and should raise serious expectations of William's intentions, unless it makes a difference that Arabella is a widow. Or was William just leaving Arabella after having a meal together. It wasn't clear to me.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
16 minutes ago, tv echo said:

I didn't find the case all that interesting. What was more interesting to me were the individual character or story developments of Fitzroy, Moses, Ivy and even Phelps.

I liked how they tried to make Phelps a more three-dimensional character and not just a straight bad guy, even though I still don't like him. His back story doesn't excuse how he treats others around him as an adult.

Did William spend the night with Arabella? Phelps told Eliza that the Duke returned "last night," so I assumed that when Eliza spied on him, William was leaving Arabella's the morning after. Given the era, that would be rather daring and should raise serious expectations of William's intentions, unless it makes a difference that Arabella is a widow. Or was William just leaving Arabella after having a meal together. It wasn't clear to me.

I agree that is was nice that they fleshed out Phelps but I still don't like him. 

I don't think considering the time period, the Duke would have stayed overnight with Arabella. There were other women in that time period for that sort of thing.  I guess we will find out for sure. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I don't think considering the time period, the Duke would have stayed overnight with Arabella. There were other women in that time period for that sort of thing.  I guess we will find out for sure. 

Arabella lives with her mother, not at the restaurant; I doubt he spent the night.

But just when Phelps displayed the ghost of being a good guy, he buries.  

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
8 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

I'm finding that I don't miss "The Duke" at all.   Now that he's back (and looks like Arabella's got him), I'm not looking forward to the drama and soap opera.   Agree 100% with Mermaid above.

I miss looking at him, that is one fine man...... but I do understand how you feel that way. I think it is really giving Eliza a chance to shine and work with other people. I could watch a show of just her and Moses. The Duke loves her but he doesn't treat her as being competent at what she does. She has shown that she is.  

• Like 11
32 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I agree that is was nice that they fleshed out Phelps but I still don't like him. 

We heard the ending conversation at the end of the episode where Eliza’s cake was upstaged by Arabella’s staff-made pastries. Arabella traveled WITH Duke! And I agree, there were no shenanigans, but they’ve obviously grown closer for spending so much time together. My prediction: Before the end of the season, Arabella will attempt to compromise William, maybe even through insinuated blackmail. I’m sure she believes she’s got the head investigator in her pocket. She’ll want him to look the other way, bend or break the rules, whatever. Maybe he’ll even get himself in a situation where Eliza will need to intervene to solve the problem.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
4 minutes ago, Daff said:

We heard the ending conversation at the end of the episode where Eliza’s cake was upstaged by Arabella’s staff-made pastries. Arabella traveled WITH Duke! And I agree, there were no shenanigans, but they’ve obviously grown closer for spending so much time together. My prediction: Before the end of the season, Arabella will attempt to compromise William, maybe even through insinuated blackmail. I’m sure she believes she’s got the head investigator in her pocket. She’ll want him to look the other way, bend or break the rules, whatever. Maybe he’ll even get himself in a situation where Eliza will need to intervene to solve the problem.

Interesting idea. As I have said, I don't trust Arabella and something will happen. There is not way this is a nice and long lasting thing for him. Unless.... he is aware of something and is hanging out with her to get the goods. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 2

I wasn't too interested in this week's case, but I did enjoy seeing Eliza work with Fitzroy.

I didn't miss William at all.  I did, however, miss Nash.  William seems to be in a relationship with Arabella now, so that leaves Eliza to pair up with Nash.  I like Nash a lot more than William.  He treats Eliza way better than William ever treats her.    Above all, he respects her.  William always treats her like the annoying kid sister trying to play with his toys.

• Like 4

The case of the week was a bit convoluted, but the actors were all quite good, and I am glad that they are using Williams absence as a chance to flesh out the supporting cast more. Confident Fitzroy is pretty awesome and I am always happy to see more of Moses. So what did go down in Madrid? Without William around, Eliza has to step her game up and show that she has the stuff without him around to bail her out, I think this has been good for her. 

I will be happy to see William again, but it seems like every person Eliza has been with has also come off as potentially a better fit for her than William. Nash, now Fitzroy, they both have a surprising amount of chemistry with her and really do respect her ambitions and abilities in ways which William just cant. William does like and respect her, probably much more than "like", but I think he just cant get the idea of "a woman should be a wife" out of his head. He still seems to think that this is a quaint hobby of hers before she gets to her actual life as a proper lady. Arabella might feel like the better fit, a woman who has some of that fire but in a more proper way. I am not looking forward to a possible cat fight between Eliza and Arabella, its just a bad look for everyone. Plus, I am still sure that Arabella is sketchy, and that we will find out later in the season that she's up to something. 

Interesting that they have given Phelps a bit more depth than just being an asshole, but some good doesn't wipe out what a dick he has been and continues to be. I might have re-winded Fitzroy giving him a well deserved punch more than once...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

what a dick he has been and continues to be. I

Note the episode ended with his behavior returning to just that. After all the grief Fitzroy has had to swallow, it was great to see him step up with confidence (thank you, Moses), even if it was short-lived. 

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

It was nice to see the rest of the gang again, but the show is dull without William.  As for next week's episode, I suspect William knows Arabella is running some sort of con.

I missed William as well. And I actually said - NO! - out loud at the end with him and Arabella. She just seems sketchy to me. I am not sure how this will all ply out? But I am interested to find out!

I loved Fitzroy! He is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I mean -- he punched Phelps right in the face like a champ! Speaking of Phelps - YUP! He is a man of his time - a school yard bully and he will never let you forget the fact that fought his way up from the bottom.

Moses is my darling! That charming smile! I love that he remains a mystery within the mystery of the show. Never change Moses - never change.

• Like 2

I don't understand why William being with Arabella because he secretly suspects her of something (which I don't buy) makes him a better man, or the situation more palatable.  All that means is he is willing to mislead someone emotionally for the sake of a case – solving some small con job?  Or is she secretly the head of the local crime syndicate?
And that would mean he knows being with her would make Eliza feel bad, so using another human being twice for his own purposes.

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Mermaid Under said:

I don't understand why William being with Arabella because he secretly suspects her of something (which I don't buy) makes him a better man, or the situation more palatable.  All that means is he is willing to mislead someone emotionally for the sake of a case – solving some small con job?  Or is she secretly the head of the local crime syndicate?
And that would mean he knows being with her would make Eliza feel bad, so using another human being twice for his own purposes.

Are you saying that William is "dating" or whatever you call it this Arabella woman because he is working a case? He suspects she is guilty of a crime and is just using her? I feel like the character we have been introduced to would not behave that way. 

I mean, she (Arabella) comes across as sketchy ( to me) and the very first ep she was introduced in seemed to wrap up way too neatly. The head waiter was behind the jewelry scheme, but I bet we find out Arabella is really the mastermind! And I want it to be Eliza who finds that out!

• Like 1

Are you saying that William is "dating" or whatever you call it this Arabella woman because he is working a case?

No, I'm saying that is what other folks on the forum seem to be saying. 

Edited by Mermaid Under
24 minutes ago, Mermaid Under said:

No, I'm saying that is what other folks on the forum seem to be saying. 

Oh? I had to quick read through to find that. I must have missed it. The only way I would like that idea is if Eliza and William were working together. Otherwise - yeah - it makes William come of as a dick

Why is working undercover so unpalatable?  It's a timeless technique in law enforcement.

I do miss him for entirely shallow reasons - easy on the eye and adore the accent.

Fitzroy certainly has come a long way in a short period!

• Like 5

I just don't think William and Arabella are pretty straight forward.   She's a widow.   She likes him.  William feels rejected by Eliza and doesn't think much beyond this pretty woman wanting him. He's not the most sensitive of souls.

If Arabella were running a criminal enterprise,  it'd be strange hooking up with a cop.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

I just don't think William and Arabella are pretty straight forward.   She's a widow.   She likes him.  William feels rejected by Eliza and doesn't think much beyond this pretty woman wanting him. He's not the most sensitive of souls.

If Arabella were running a criminal enterprise,  it'd be strange hooking up with a cop.

I think I am just looking for reasons NOT to like Arabella. It started with the way she said -- "OH? You're not married?" to Eliza when she found out they (William and Eliza) were undercover instead of the married couple they initially introduced themselves.

• Like 2

Are you saying that William is "dating" or whatever you call it this Arabella woman because he is working a case?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

1 hour ago, taanja said:

Otherwise - yeah - it makes William come of as a dick

No it makes him a detective working a case.

See above.

But, hey, I haven't watched ahead and I could be wrong about all of this.  We know Arabella bakes delicious cakes!  😜

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Why is working undercover so unpalatable?  It's a timeless technique in law enforcement.

I don't think it's unpalatable per se, but it's obvious from Eliza's reaction that she was startled to see them together in that way.  So it seems that IF he is working undercover, or getting close to Arabella in order to figure out what she is doing, he certainly didn't tell Eliza about it.  As far as Eliza knew, he was away in Manchester, and the first thing he did when he returned to London is to look up Arabella, and not her.

Eliza was the one that initially suspected Arabella in Episode 2, and I think she told him about it.  So if he really thinks that Arabella could be the ringleader of the counterfeit jewelry operation, then I would think he should have at least mentioned it to her, out of both professional and personal courtesy.

William knows that Eliza has feelings for him.  He can be dense but even he should have recognised that Eliza went to the trouble of baking him a cake to try and impress him, and then he completely shoved it (and her) aside when Arabella swooped in with her "delicious cake".

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, blackwing said:

William knows that Eliza has feelings for him.  He can be dense but even he should have recognised that Eliza went to the trouble of baking him a cake to try and impress him, and then he completely shoved it (and her) aside when Arabella swooped in with her "delicious cake".

Yeah. I am on team Eliza/William. That whole episode that Arabella was in had my spidey senses tingling. She "swooped in" with her delicious cake! ha! LOL 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

So it seems that IF he is working undercover, or getting close to Arabella in order to figure out what she is doing, he certainly didn't tell Eliza about it.  As far as Eliza knew, he was away in Manchester, and the first thing he did when he returned to London is to look up Arabella, and not her.

Eliza was the one that initially suspected Arabella in Episode 2, and I think she told him about it.  So if he really thinks that Arabella could be the ringleader of the counterfeit jewelry operation, then I would think he should have at least mentioned it to her, out of both professional and personal courtesy.

If he is working undercover, he has absolutly no business telling Eliza.  He is a cop, she is not. She does not officially work with him in any capacity.  There is no "professional courtesy" between law enforcement and private investigators.  In reality, their relationships are often contentious unless there is a business relationship between them.

In no other universe except this series would Eliza be wandering in and out of Scotland Yard for information and would not be arrested for as many breaking and entering incidents as she has instigated!

Is Arabella dirty? I think she is.  Will Eliza find the evidence? Probably if only because she'll be shadowing Arabella because she is jealous.

• Like 3

I just don't think this is police business - I think he found someone pretty and lively who flattered his ego in a way Eliza does not.  He is enjoying the attention.

The old "men think with their penises" storyline is as overused as the "professional women who aren't interested in marriage just need to find the right man" and "women can't be friends because they are competing for men" storylines.

Edited by Mermaid Under
  • Like 5

I could be wrong, but I also don't think it is police business. I think he's at the age where he wants to settle down and Eliza isn't interested.  However, I suspect that, even if Arabella turns out not to be a criminal, she went after William (with pastries, attention and flattery) only or primarily because she knows Eliza likes William. In other words, Eliza's assessment of Arabella as a child still runs true.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 11
  • Useful 1
On 1/31/2023 at 7:44 PM, Mermaid Under said:

I just don't think this is police business - I think he found someone pretty and lively who flattered his ego in a way Eliza does not.  He is enjoying the attention.

The old "men think with their penises" storyline is as overused as the "professional women who aren't interested in marriage just need to find the right man" and "women can't be friends because they are competing for men" storylines.

Ditto to all. And it isn't like he has been living as a monk all this time. He was, ahem, enjoying the company of at least one woman that we saw in the show, which was clearly not a secret to anyone. Arabella is attractive, educated, successful, and clearly is interested in William. It isn't a surprise that they would spend time together (dating is too modern of a word)

I think the issue with Arabella for Eliza is that she (Arabella) is her (Eliza) childhood tormenter, and like as a child when Eliza has some insecurities regarding Arabella, those continue today. 

While I am a shipper for Eliza and William, let me also add to your list "men and women can't merely be friends, they always will fall in love"

• Like 3
18 hours ago, HappyHanna said:

Ditto to all. And it isn't like he has been living as a monk all this time. He was, ahem, enjoying the company of at least one woman that we saw in the show, which was clearly not a secret to anyone. Arabella is attractive, educated, successful, and clearly is interested in William. It isn't a surprise that they would spend time together (dating is too modern of a word)

Mr. Potts called it -- "stepping out" < that sounds very Victorian.