Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: The Museum Makeover Job

• Start Topic

Oooh, that was all kinds of intriguing.

I get a bit twitchy when Leverage tries to do British stuff, because they get so many details wrong - I mean, the King George Job is fun, yes, but so very wrong about so many things. So I was kind of expecting the worst here, but this was fun. I have a bone to pick with whoever thought 'Astrid' and 'Mirabelle' might be typical British names, and there were a few dodgy fake accents dotted among the real ones (great job, casting, on the whole) but it was mostly solid. 'The Monarch Museum' is a hilarious name for a fake London museum, so unspecific.

It makes so much sense that Sophie's 'daughter' alluded to the other week would be a stepdaughter. If Astrid is the daughter of a Duke, technically she should be styled 'Lady Astrid', but she wouldn't be the first not to bother using a courtesy title.

Eliot trying so hard to pull off any kind of British accent and failing in so many different ways was a fun touch.

It bugged me that they all kept talking about ordinance when what they meant was ordnance. Adding the 'i' turns it into a different word entirely.

• Like 5

I totally called the stepdaughter thing, go me!

I wanted to like this episode, but it fell flat for me. I like all the ideas and the pieces, but the execution was really lacking. The con for Ramsey just felt clumsy and obvious. The final twist didn't feel twisty at all. The characters felt out of character. I know Nate was the mastermind, but Sophie is good at the con. She would have nailed down every detail of this con. It was too important. It felt like they made the characters stupid in order to make the plot work and I hated it. There were some good moments, but overall it just didn't work for me.

Interpol and no mention of Sterling? Bummer. I know he was Nate's nemesis, but still. I wish they'd bring him back.

Bonus points for me in the opening scene, I knew it wasn't any of our crew because of the running styles. They're very distinctive styles.

• Like 8
16 minutes ago, P2C2E said:

Interpol and no mention of Sterling? Bummer. I know he was Nate's nemesis, but still. I wish they'd bring him back.

I was really, really hoping that it was Sterling on the phone at the end. Was disappointed when it was that other guy whose name I didn't bother to remember. 

I'm on the fence on this one. 

17 minutes ago, P2C2E said:

I like all the ideas and the pieces, but the execution was really lacking.

I think that's where I'm at. Good idea but felt off. In show they could say it was off because Sophie had the personal connection with her step-daughter, but it wasn't that kind of off. It might be more that the whole ep was mainly just a setup for the cliffhanger ending. I will admit, I screamed at the tele when it ended like that. Streaming has spoiled me. I don't like having to wait to see what happens anymore. 

Highlights though, Parker's nemesis, but not nemesis stuff was cute. Eliot eating an apple while defusing the bomb, and getting the heroes welcome when he saved everyone. lol And his whole "did anyone else raise their hand" rant. I love Eliot's rants. 

Something about this one didn't really feel right. maybe it was the lack of fun. The thing I love about this show is it's sense of fun. This one felt more serious than their typical eps. 

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I think that's where I'm at. Good idea but felt off. In show they could say it was off because Sophie had the personal connection with her step-daughter, but it wasn't that kind of off. It might be more that the whole ep was mainly just a setup for the cliffhanger ending. I will admit, I screamed at the tele when it ended like that. Streaming has spoiled me. I don't like having to wait to see what happens anymore. 

I also was like crap this ended in a cliffhanger, then naturally went to go hit "next" only to realize it wasn't there yet. Wow I got spoiled by streaming shows.

I was confused on why they were just standing there. They knew that they were set up but then just stood there when the alarms went off. Like they should have left long before that. Also, I feel like I need a description of who was who in Sophie's past. Because honestly, I forgot who the three guys were other then from her past. I liked the touch of a step daughter as it makes sense.

I loved Elliot's attempts to sound British. And of course Brianna's "... now you sound like Scotty" ;). I liked that parker had a history with the step daughter and it was funny.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, blueray said:

I was confused on why they were just standing there. They knew that they were set up but then just stood there when the alarms went off.

Yeah, that was a bit off brand for them. The second that Sophie heard that dudes voice she should have been getting the team the hell out of there. Clearly the writers wanted them caught for storyline reasons, but they could have come up with something better than the team standing around doing nothing. 

The only way that makes sense is if Sophie knew this was going to happen and they are triple bluffing but I hope that's not the case as I feel like that whole make the audience think they've been had when it was part of their plan all along thing has lost its sparkle at this point. They've done it too many times for it to be fun and interesting.

• Like 6
15 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Yeah, that was a bit off brand for them. The second that Sophie heard that dudes voice she should have been getting the team the hell out of there.

Arguably, even before since it seemed like she realized who was on the phone before she answered. 

On 1/18/2023 at 12:34 PM, Llywela said:

If Astrid is the daughter of a Duke, technically she should be styled 'Lady Astrid', but she wouldn't be the first not to bother using a courtesy title.

I thought someone (Billy, maybe?) did refer to her as Lady Astrid at some point.

• Like 3

Also, you expect me to believe that Hardison and Parker were chased across Europe by Astrid and never connected her to the Duke of Hanover? 

Look, even I knew that Arthur would figure into this episode somehow. But you really expect me to believe that Sophie, and the entire rest of the team, wouldn't? 

Maybe it's still all a long con. But it just doesn't sit right. Too many characters holding the idiot ball. They're too smart and competent for this nonsense. I don't want a perfect team, but their obstacles need to be more believable.

• Like 6
On 1/18/2023 at 1:34 PM, Llywela said:

It makes so much sense that Sophie's 'daughter' alluded to the other week would be a stepdaughter. If Astrid is the daughter of a Duke, technically she should be styled 'Lady Astrid', but she wouldn't be the first not to bother using a courtesy title.

In her day to day proffessional working life, she is Astrid and no one refers to her as Lady Astrid on the job. When fancy official invitations to social events are delievered, they are probably addressed to Lady Astrid. 

There is no way the entire team are getting arrested and going to jail, so my guess is season 3 picks up with them somehow getting out of it. 

• Like 2

I'm always glad to learn more of Sophie's past, but it's hard to judge this ep without seeing the second part (aargh cliffhanger ending). Generally, I wouldn't call this one of the stronger episodes even though it was still fun. Not surprised the inspector was Sophie's stepdaughter. Liked their little mini reunion in the museum even though Astrid was unaware.

I was happy to see Parker in slightly more of a leadership role even though it was short-lived. One thing I wish we could see more of in this reboot is the Parker that became mastermind after Nate and Sophie stepped away, the Parker that turned one three-person crew into a dozen teams around the world. That all being said, I loved her reactions in the opening sequence, after proudly announcing that she didn't steal anything "this time" when she broke into the rest of the crew's homes. And her exasperation with Breanna for being asleep and therefore out of touch "for hours!".

• Parker's note to Astrid telling her to "Eat my streusel!"
  • Eliot's slo-mo hero walk when entering the museum as part of the bomb squad... and then sitting around eating an apple all chilled out
  • "I didn't see anyone else raising their hands!" Eliot's rage never fails to amuse me, lol
  • Everyone teasing Eliot about his attempt at a British accent ("Now you sound like Scotty!") Hey, in Eliot's defense, his accent was still better than Kevin Costner's in Robin Hood... though what wasn't
  • Parker toasted with her Taser
  • Parker declaring Astrid family since she goes after bad guys, too (awww)

• Like 9
24 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

One thing I wish we could see more of in this reboot is the Parker that became mastermind after Nate and Sophie stepped away, the Parker that turned one three-person crew into a dozen teams around the world.

I would love to see another episode that is similiar to "The Rundown Job" from the original series but with less of 24 feel to it. Parker takes the lead, and the episode is more old school, because of how Parker was trained. 

• Like 5

The curator was quite the character, but I kept thinking of Doctor Who. I kind of wish he played him more demonstrative. 

On 1/18/2023 at 11:34 AM, Llywela said:

It bugged me that they all kept talking about ordinance when what they meant was ordnance. Adding the 'i' turns it into a different word entirely.

fwiw, my closed caption had the latter so that's how I heard it. 

I certainly buy that Arthur is motivated for revenge after crossing paths with them all earlier, but I'm having a tough buy-in that he's a mastermind. That's *a lot* of moving parts for any con for it to all go off like that. 

I noticed (since I just watched and didn't see it here) Parket mentioned 'how did he get past the pressure alarm'. Arthur is still pulling his misdirect. 

• Like 4

I love Parker breaking to everyone's houses and packing their bags.  That she didn't steal anything this time.

Eliot's British accent. 

I had a feeling Arthur was lying. I'm still wondering if there's a plan we don't know about since Eliot followed Arthur in the Pyramid episode and he and Sophie confronted him. 

• Like 3

I would think there is. Although I don't know how they'd know Arthur was around with everything else going on. I bet Arthur took the whole podium the crown was on and replaced it with what we're seeing. It can't be far. 

Part of the problem here is that these people have been invincible, and someone like Arthur getting one over on them seems forced. 

It's not like they can't work their way out. Sure, the police see them in the room with the crown missing. And? 'We heard the alarm and went this way. It was like this when we got here'. Eliot can put on his fake accent and make them this he's still the bomb guy. 

Taking everything at face value, I'm not sure Arthur knows Breanna is in the truck either. 

I did like when Eliot emphasized 'massive'. 

Parker broke into Breanna's place because she wasn't answering her texts for a few hours. 

'Was I sleeping?!' 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Part of the problem here is that these people have been invincible, and someone like Arthur getting one over on them seems forced. 

Yeah, Leverage are a team, a well oiled machine of people with special skills that, when combined, are nearly invincible. There is no way Arthur working on his own was able to best them. There better be some reveal that he has been working with a team as well. Oh, what if he's turned. Oh, what if he went to Interpol and he's working with Sterling!!!! (yes, I will come up with any reason to bring Sterling back.) I'm just going to be very disappointed in the show if Arthur managed to pull this off on his own. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I recall reading something about Wil Wheaton's "Chaos" returning this season, so perhaps Wilde has teamed up with Marcus Starke's crew. But then it could be I just dreamed that about Wheaton. LOL.

According to imdb, there's one more episode:

Next Episode (airs 25 Jan. 2023)

The Crowning Achievement Job

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I recall reading something about Wil Wheaton's "Chaos" returning this season, so perhaps Wilde has teamed up with Marcus Starke's crew. But then it could be I just dreamed that about Wheaton. LOL.

I love Wil Wheaton so I wouldn't say no to that. If I can't have Sterling I'll take Chaos. :)

• Like 2

I have a bone to pick with Leverage International London - why did they use the very distinctive food truck as their getaway vehicle? I get that it has been outfitted with all the high tech computer equipment but it is also memorable especially at night on a deserted street. Even the most unobservant security guard is going to be able to give a decent description of it. "It was a food truck. something with basil. I'm pretty sure it had leaves on it. It was also a darkish color. Probably red. " versus "It was a white truck No distinguishing marks."

• Like 5
On 1/21/2023 at 3:48 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

That's exactly why Sterling being at the other end of that call would have been awesome. Arthur on the other hand: meh! 

Well, they can't all be winners. I enjoyed Elliot's rage (both genuine and put on rage about stabbing paint particles with tiny daggers). But the whole floor recreation con required a tad too much hand waving for me. Show does that a lot and sometimes I don't care but this time I did, maybe because there was also some real emotional drama involved in the plot. Lady Astrid's childhood got destroyed by Sophie. I know we're supposed to blame Ramsey but it's not that easy. I do like that from time to time show reminds us that for all Sophie's charm a grifter can cause as much or more havoc than a hitter. But it also creates a disconnect with the show's lighter tone. I guess I'm just rambling. Carry on!

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

That's exactly why Sterling being at the other end of that call would have been awesome. Arthur on the other hand: meh!

Sterling really the only person at their level. I don't know that he's aware of Sophie's past though. I'm trying to be fair, I can see Arthur being highly motivated by revenge. And it's a self contained plot for the season. Sterling hasn't been mentioned in years. 

In addition to Breanna being outside the museum, Arthur may not even know about Hardison either. 

• Like 5
On 1/19/2023 at 7:44 PM, P2C2E said:

Also, you expect me to believe that Hardison and Parker were chased across Europe by Astrid and never connected her to the Duke of Hanover? 

My thoughts, exactly.  How does a team supposedly this smart miss a connection so obvious?  All they had to do is include a throw-away line on how Astrid uses her mother's maiden name now, or something like that. 

On 1/20/2023 at 7:25 PM, Maelstrom said:

One thing I wish we could see more of in this reboot is the Parker that became mastermind after Nate and Sophie stepped away, the Parker that turned one three-person crew into a dozen teams around the world.

I agree - this would be interesting.  It could have made a fun flash-back episode, of her putting the foreign teams together, finding equivalents to each one of them. 

I wasn't crazy about this episode.  The whole re-creation of the one gallery room really didn't make any sense, either plot wise or in execution.  Sophie's portrait didn't look anything like her.  I find it weird that Astrid didn't recognize Sophie at all - she wasn't that young when Sophie left, and certainly there had been a picture of her somewhere.  Although, if all she had was the bad portrait, then that explains that. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Woof. The painting bore some resemblance to Astrid but none to Sophie. Honestly, it could have been any random brunette. It looked like a police sketch more than a professional portrait.

I immediately recognized the Princesse de Broglie painting in the Hanover gallery. Did they take over a real museum or did they use a normal set filled with prints of real paintings? They also had the Anne of Cleves in the lobby which definitely looked like a fake. 

lol at the idea of a British museum actually giving back artifacts

Billy felt like a terrible person to trust. Weaselly. I'd expect him to tell Ramsay everything as soon as he left that room. I guess we're supposed to chalk that up to Sophie knowing how to read him and knowing he was really trustworthy in the end but it felt like a writing convenience.

I was surprised that Astrid didn't recognize Sophie/Charlotte. 

I did not predict Eliot having to deal with a REAL bomb. That was fun.

The actor they got for Ramsay wasn't bad but it was difficult to have too many feelings about a Big Bad we've never actually seen on screen before. He was pretty easily conned even with all his blustering. And did the building have metal detectors? Why not bring a gun or some other weapon? Anyway, bringing back Arthur helped a little in giving us a foe we'd seen before but it lacked the drama of original show takedowns of a bad guy we'd been following for a long time, or even the evil organization RIZ last season. But as I said in the Arthur episode, that actor is boring and anonymous-looking so... meh.

I did like the foot race between Parker and Astrid though it was a little anticlimactic for Astrid to not actually figure anything out and just be given a gift from Sophie.

I think they found a solid actress for Astrid. I'd be happy for her to come back in a future episode.

• Like 1

The only way that makes sense is if Sophie knew this was going to happen and they are triple bluffing but I hope that's not the case as I feel like that whole make the audience think they've been had when it was part of their plan all along thing has lost its sparkle at this point. They've done it too many times for it to be fun and interesting.

Yeah, one benefit to this is getting the infallible crew caught in a sticky situation. But it's just hard to believe that Arthur was the one clever enough to do it. It should have been someone like Sterling.

Eliot can put on his fake accent and make them this he's still the bomb guy. 

True. Eliot is one person with an easy out. 

• Like 1