Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Death Notice

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing January 17, 2023:

Officer John Nolan and Celina are enlisted to stand guard at a hospital after a dangerous prisoner must have surgery and they suspect there’s more to it than meets the eye. Meanwhile, Aaron gets Lopez and Harper to help him investigate a string of home robberies, and Tim and Lucy consider how their new secret relationship will affect their work. Elsewhere, Lopez gets unexpected news.

Hands down, best thing of the episode was the Kelly Clarkson cameo. 

Next best thing, to my surprise, is the Lucy - Tim relationship. So far of course, cause you can never know with these writers.

The Elijah super villain story it is still so indifferent and so boring. I do not care. Same goes for the Lopez new baby saga and Wesley. 

The Oscar at the hospital  story was ok, although this Celina mambo jambo thing is getting quite annoying.

And we had a Bailey cameo! 

Overall an ok episode.

• Like 4

I'm glad they finally addressed the problem of Lucy and Tim's relationship. I'm not sure how long Tim will last as the Court liaison though.

I enjoyed the central story, and the Castle reunion! For once, Celina's schtick didn't bother me, because it bothered the bad guy in an amusing fashion. He is an engaging bad guy. I'd prefer criminals like him rather than Elijah.

Speaking of which, Lopez surveilling Elijah even though she knew there'd be blow back that would benefit him annoyed  the heck out of me on that one. It's a common plot point in these types of shows, and it always annoys me. As for the baby, I'm guessing the actress is pregnant and they had to account for it plot wise. Did love the appointment for a vasectomy. Brings back memories...lol.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

For once, Celina's schtick didn't bother me, because it bothered the bad guy in an amusing fashion. He is an engaging bad guy. I'd prefer criminals like him rather than Elijah.

Yes and yes. I floved the use of Celina's schtick in this episode. 
At the end it seemed like maybe she was faking her "power" to freak out the Worst Person Ever bad guy, with an almost wink to Castle Nolan.
I'd be fine with Bailey cameos like this one that let us know Nolan and his boot are just buddies who work well together and have a bit of fun *psyching out* bad guys who are susceptible to superstitions.

But about the vasectomy appointment: 
Don't they still offer cheap and easy tubal litigation shortly after giving birth because the tubes are easily accessible at that time?
Or is that another debunked and abandoned medical practice nowadays? 
Definitely they have to still be offering tubal litigation at the time of birth if having a C-section, right?  Or no? 
Anyway, it just seems with Elijah out to torture Wesley via family annihilation, and with Wesley being so into being a Dad, maybe he should postpone the vasectomy for a minute? 

• Like 2

Not sure was Lopez was thinking.  I'd usually expect something dumb like that from Wesley.  And I agree that the actress is probably pregnant so they have to write it in somehow.  Not only do we have to deal with the awful/uninteresting Elijah but Wesley's ex-girlfriend as his lawyer...

Celina's mumbo jumbo worked this time with the bad guy and not much Bailey but I did like her threatening said bad guy.

Tim and Lucy, eh.  I like how they thought they were being low key and other folks are like, yeah, no, we knew all along.  Don't see Tim's desk job lasting long either so we'll see how TPTB manage this.  As long as they don't make Tim/Lucy a major plot point at all times or I can just do my usual and mute the TV or go do some other errand at home.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyway, it just seems with Elijah out to torture Wesley via family annihilation, and with Wesley being so into being a Dad, maybe he should postpone the vasectomy for a minute? 

It did seem a bit early in the game - not just because of Elijah, but because nature can also unfortunately intervene.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My fav part is Celina staring, taunting Oscar with “you are going to die” prediction. She gets into his head effortlessly. 😂

Lucy lessons yada yada yada, meh.

No desk job for Tim please. His dynamic with Aaron and their ride along are among the best parts of this show.

Angela being pregnant again isn’t a surprise. The actress has been hiding her belly under various oversize blazers for several episodes now.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

No desk job for Tim please. His dynamic with Aaron and their ride along are among the best parts of this show.

I just sort of love how the Tim/Lucy plot really can't work, but they're going to actually try to address it, when they can't address it! You have to just ignore it. It cannot work taken seriously. You simply have to ignore it and just say, "Whatever, people, you fucking wanted Chenford, don't complain to us about how it doesn't make sense!" 

Edited by Brian Cronin
  • Like 4

Two actors that played badass futuristic rogue spaceship captains set in current day police drama with the occasional comical undertone. How can you go wrong? You don't. show is well written and I look forward to every episode. Reason I am posting now and in this thread is because  I now have one complaint. What was with the film they used? It took away from the drama. It's good for sitcoms and short skits, but not for drama. I know this comes off as stupid but I really did not like it. Maybe I just need to get use to it. Kind of like watching your shows in 4k after a lifetime of tube televisions.

Oh, and Castle's daughter with a part was nice. Fillion must of enjoyed seeing Molly Quinn, if even for a small scene.

Edited by Jkizis
btw
  • Like 3
On 1/19/2023 at 2:28 AM, Jkizis said:

Two actors that played badass futuristic rogue spaceship captains set in current day police drama with the occasional comical undertone.

Nathan Fillion and who else? I should know, but for some reason, I'm unable to figure out who the second actor is. 

• Like 2

Last week, I thought it looked like the Harper character was hiding the beginning of a pregnancy.  The way she was moving around in the bank and the way her jacket and shirt hung.  I guess I was so focused on that, I didn't notice Lopez.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bunnyface said:

The actor that plays Oscar was on something too.  Stargate maybe?

ETA:  I had to look it up.  He played a colonel for some episodes on Stargate SG-1.  

I looked him up too. 
Matthew Glave (Oscar) is the perfect example of the H!ITG! (Hey! It’s That Guy!) actor who has been a guest star on seemingly every show (over 100) over the decades.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I looked him up too. 
Matthew Glave (Oscar) is the perfect example of the H!ITG! (Hey! It’s That Guy!) actor who has been a guest star on seemingly every show (over 100) over the decades.

I will forever remember Matthew Glave as dickwad surgical intern/resident Dale Edson on ER ages ago.

• Like 1

Can someone please explain the elevator scene with me? Obviously it's an inside joke of some kind, but I'm not really big into pop culture or celebrities. And likewise, what was the Castle crossover? I've forgotten most of that show, as much as I loved it before it jumped the shark).

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Can someone please explain the elevator scene with me? Obviously it's an inside joke of some kind, but I'm not really big into pop culture or celebrities. And likewise, what was the Castle crossover? I've forgotten most of that show, as much as I loved it before it jumped the shark).

The elevator scene had Kelly Clarkson, a musician who became famous through winning the first season of American Idol (and now has her own talk show.

The actor who plays Chen (Melissa O'Neil), won the third season of Canadian Idol.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 5
11 minutes ago, bros402 said:

The elevator scene had Kelly Clarkson, a musician who became famous through winning the first season of American Idol (and now has her own talk show.

The actor who plays Chen (Melissa O'Neil), won the third season of Canadian Idol.

And if I recall, Kelly Clarkson was also a big Castle fan and tweeted her sadness at the show's cancellation, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Again, in the opening elevator scene, was there any rhyme or reason for them to all be covered in crap?

AFAIK, if you Google:   
     Kelly Clarkson OCD   
results pop up about her being a “hygiene freak.” 
So seemingly the only reason for the increasing amounts of loose dirt on the precinct members as they continued to enter the elevator and press in closer to the pristinely coiffed and outfitted Kelly Clarkson was a very inside joke.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

The Castle crossover was the woman who played Oscar’s daughter. Molly Quinn played Castle’s daughter Alexis.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, bros402 said:

OK. I guess there's an "in" joke in there somewhere. Friend of Nathan's maybe? So if Chen's a singer, I guess we'll eventually get a musical episode?

1 hour ago, Shelbie said:

The Castle crossover was the woman who played Oscar’s daughter. Molly Quinn played Castle’s daughter Alexis.

knew her face looked familiar. That's awesome!

• Like 1
On 1/21/2023 at 11:42 AM, bunnyface said:

He played a colonel for some episodes on Stargate SG-1.  

More than a Colonel, going back to the OP of this starship commanders rabbit  hole some USAF Colonels' on Stargate, including his Col Emerson commanded starships. Odyssey, in this particular case. 

On 1/22/2023 at 12:34 PM, NJRadioGuy said:

So if Chen's a singer, I

They already had her sing once, but I can't remember the episode or plot.  It may have been karaoke. 

Oh, never mind, it's better than that.  It was an Idol reference.  They were on patrol and she accidentally auditioned for Idol.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Other special guest stars in this episode...

The doctor was played by Audrey Marie Anderson, who played Lyla Michaels in multiple seasons of Arrow.

The lawyer was played by Bridget Regan, who played Poison Ivy in Batwoman, Dottie Underwood in Agent Carter, Kahlan Amnell in Legend of the Seeker, and multiple other TV roles.

• Like 1