Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Get Your Hopes Up

jewel21
  • Start Topic

A box truck crashes into the station, causing a power outage and triggering a dangerous fire. Sharon and Bode’s ex-girlfriend, Cara, face multiple medical emergencies.

Airdate: 01/13/2023

letter-d.jpg

Well, I was pulling for Charlie...I mean, I knew he was going to make it, but the episode did play the beats rather well.

The actors were, as they always are, downright amazing and were fun to watch.

I'll also say I'm glad Bode came around and realized he's a Leone, not a Donovan and that Vince told him he was proud of Bode. Dad and son may not be eye-to-eye yet but they're getting there.

We also had quite some fun with Sharon and Cara. Eve also stood out tonight too.

That's about it. This sure felt like a "filler" episode, and, while I appreciate the need for a show to slow down after an intense episode (as what "No Good Deed" was supposed to be), there's something to say about pumping the breaks too much.

The other note I have about this episode- which I'm not sure is a good sign- is that I wonder how much longer the fire camp will stick around. They were truly in the background, continuing a trend that doesn't, um, bode well for this show. As much as I appreciate that this show is about Bode, the fire camp is what makes this show stand out. They need to work the camp into the stories better instead of making them glorified extras.

The actress that plays Sharon overacts so much that it takes me out of the story. She has a constant wisecrack ready as well as always acting like a martyr. Other shows like 911 handle weekly accidents without seeming so corny. Example; calling out Godspeed to Charlie 

• Like 2

Geez, you don’t even get your parole day off?! Charlie was apparently expected to work the program until noon instead of spend his last day just chilling. Bummer.

Are they introducing another Bode love interest? Just give me Olivia Cooke…I know that Max Theriot has chemistry with her.

On medical TV shows, it always seems like the worse your kidneys are, the faster you go to the top of the transplant list. So I guess I’m confused by the fact that Sharon’s numbers were so bad she was ineligible for a transplant, but whatever. Yay, Sharon is a candidate for Bode’s kidney now.

I thought this episode was pretty intense on it’s own. 

A few oddities - where were the rest of the actual Cal Fire crew at the firehouse?  Jake, Eve, and Vince were it until at the end when we saw 1 helping clean up and 2 more ride with Vince to Sharon.    Why weren’t  those three seen helping get Charlie out or fighting the fire? 

I’m fairly certain that a 29 year old in cardiac arrest and a fire commissioner in acute distress would be priority for an ambulance.  It was not realistic  that  Vince  started toward  Sharon at least a half hour after the ambulance called and got there first. 

I’m not interested in continuing to see Cap’s gambling problem.

I’m glad Gabriella broke up with Jake because he needed to know what being dumped felt like. He supposedly always loved and left in his previous relationships. 

I’m really not interested in seeing Bode develop a relationship  with Gabriella or the inmate lawyer - there’s no chemistry there.  Doubtful there will be with Cara either. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 3
On 1/13/2023 at 11:50 PM, Madding crowd said:

The actress that plays Sharon overacts so much that it takes me out of the story. She has a constant wisecrack ready as well as always acting like a martyr. Other shows like 911 handle weekly accidents without seeming so corny. Example; calling out Godspeed to Charlie 

Yes, sometimes she looks like a comedian trying to make a funny joke and failing. Gabriela also overacts. She is even worse. 

I can't stand 911. I do see them as corny in that the whole "family and love" thing is over the top.

I want to like this show but the episodes have been inconsistent and boring. The whole accident in the firehouse was preposterous. At the same time they ignited a fire inside the firehouse without the precautions and then were calmly and non-urgently trying to put out the fire - the CGI was pretty bad in one of the scenes.

I would think that a dialysis machine would have a back up battery. 

I am not sure if the information I have is correct but I read somewhere, a while ago, that when you use a tourniquet, the person will likely lose the limb. It stops the blood flow to part of the limb, and the tissue starts dying. Since Charlie had already lost a lot of blood, I think his leg would be gone by the time they get his artery repaired. If that's true, then I wish they had mentioned something, for context. 

I am also afraid that we won't see Charlie anymore. It would be such an interesting story, an old black man that is able to leave prison, and become a firefighter, maybe even show his grandkids. If he is gone, it is a waste of a subplot. I will keep watching ad hoping that some writers decide to go all in with the background of the inmates. They hinted a little here and there, then dropped it all.

I thought that Eve overreacted the whole episode. She doesn't really know those inmates, she was way too emotional when she was trying to save Charlie. Again, the writers could have added context, maybe he reminds her of a family member, something to justify a firefighter crying because she is worried. It is also unprofessional. Just a little context would have made better.

But then again, almost everyone in this show is way too emotional to be working as first responders

• Like 2
9 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I thought this episode was pretty intense on it’s own. 

What I mean more is that this week was a break from the character drama, aside from Gabby's admission to Jake. The character moments- Bode and Vince, Charlie and Sharon- were happy moments or at least resolved happily. They were not dealt another whammy to brood over for next week.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 1/13/2023 at 7:19 PM, Danielg342 said:

Well, I was pulling for Charlie...I mean, I knew he was going to make it, but the episode did play the beats rather well.

As soon as they set it up I was remembering an Emergency episode and Vincent D'Onofrio on Homicide: Life on the Street and thinking that they really had to make it his last day

• Like 2
On 1/14/2023 at 3:21 PM, SonofaBiscuit said:

On medical TV shows, it always seems like the worse your kidneys are, the faster you go to the top of the transplant list. So I guess I’m confused by the fact that Sharon’s numbers were so bad she was ineligible for a transplant, but whatever. Yay, Sharon is a candidate for Bode’s kidney now.

I'm pretty sure that Sharon's numbers were still too good to be eligible for a transplant before this episode.  She mentioned that something had gone down, so I assumed that they are now bad enough to make her eligible.  The prior diagnosis was that her numbers were too bad for a clinical trial or some other treatment that she wanted (but still too good for a transplant, I guess).  She's progressively gotten worse since the start of the show.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, Raja said:

As soon as they set it up I was remembering an Emergency episode and Vincent D'Onofrio on Homicide: Life on the Street and thinking that they really had to make it his last day

That's immediately where my mind went. I first saw that on Emergency! when it aired live, when I was a teenager back in the 70s. I had nightmares about it for weeks. A truly horrible way to go out but good for TV drama. Glad they chose not to go there.

Otherwise this episode really started to annoy me and everything just really seemed overly contrived. I found myself zapping ahead frequently, which I never had to do with this show before. 

• Like 1
On 1/13/2023 at 7:19 PM, Danielg342 said:

As much as I appreciate that this show is about Bode, the fire camp is what makes this show stand out. They need to work the camp into the stories better instead of making them glorified extras.

On 1/15/2023 at 2:20 AM, circumvent said:

I will keep watching ad hoping that some writers decide to go all in with the background of the inmates. They hinted a little here and there, then dropped it all

Freddy, in particular, is way underused.  I'd like to see more of him and a LOT less of Broody Bode,  The could take a hint from Brooklyn 9-9.  There was no doubt that Samberg and Braugher were the stars, but even Scully and Hitchcock got plots of their own.

Also, anytime some is nearly out of a dangerous job, something bad is going to happen to them.  It would have been better to make it look like it was Charlie under the engine, only to find out it was someone else.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:59 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Pro tip, guys - Don't start a fire in flammable liquid inside a structure.  What could possibly go wrong?

Firefighters still standing around, waiting for something to do, while the engine crushes Charlie's leg.

When we did "fire training" for the company I worked for, the fire was in a small patch surrounded by non-flammable material.  Not on a rickety-ass table in an area that the hoses couldn't get to.

Speaking of that, why did they have to cut away the whole grate.  4 snips and they had a hole big enough for the hose.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Otherwise this episode really started to annoy me and everything just really seemed overly contrived. I found myself zapping ahead frequently, which I never had to do with this show before. 

Maybe it was just me, but I also thought that the editing was pretty bad in this episode.  Very choppy, I guess, and people all of a sudden were appearing in places like they teleported.

1 hour ago, JH Lipton said:

Speaking of that, why did they have to cut away the whole grate.  4 snips and they had a hole big enough for the hose.

For that matter, why not drop a hoselay on the ground and go around the wall?  They should have 150' of 1 12" hose set up already.

6 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

Freddy, in particular, is way underused.  I'd like to see more of him and a LOT less of Broody Bode,  The could take a hint from Brooklyn 9-9.  There was no doubt that Samberg and Braugher were the stars, but even Scully and Hitchcock got plots of their own.

Maybe next year, when Bode gets out of jail, he becomes Manny's assistant and Freddy becomes First Saw. That way we can keep the fire camp dynamic and give Freddy an actual function instead of just being one of the campers.

For what it's worth, W. Tre Davis- who plays Freddy- posted news of the renewal of Fire Country on his Instagram page. So I suspect he's not going anywhere and may even have a bigger role next season.

• Like 2

I don’t understand how this series is so popular. It’s a soap opera.  I was so excited that Max Thieriot was starring but I’ve been disappointed all season.  None of the acting is very good but it could be because of the cheesy writing. The dialogue is predictable.  Bode is Clay Spenser with longer hair.  

On 1/16/2023 at 5:43 PM, JH Lipton said:

Also, anytime some is nearly out of a dangerous job, something bad is going to happen to them.  It would have been better to make it look like it was Charlie under the engine, only to find out it was someone else.

When we did "fire training" for the company I worked for, the fire was in a small patch surrounded by non-flammable material.  Not on a rickety-ass table in an area that the hoses couldn't get to.

I guess maybe there is some advantage to using real fire, so people are less scared of it, but my employer uses a light board with simulated flames and fire extinguisher.  The board recognizes the spray from the extinguisher and if you don't spray correctly (at the base, sweeping side to side) the light board makes a bigger fire and you get an alarm screaming at you.  

On 1/15/2023 at 11:19 PM, NJRadioGuy said:

That's immediately where my mind went. I first saw that on Emergency! when it aired live, when I was a teenager back in the 70s. I had nightmares about it for weeks. A truly horrible way to go out but good for TV drama. Glad they chose not to go there.

It's gotten so bad that whenever anyone mentions their "last day" I assume they are a goner.

7 hours ago, bunnyface said:

I guess maybe there is some advantage to using real fire, so people are less scared of it, but my employer uses a light board with simulated flames and fire extinguisher.  The board recognizes the spray from the extinguisher and if you don't spray correctly (at the base, sweeping side to side) the light board makes a bigger fire and you get an alarm screaming at you.  

That would have been fun. Of course, knowing me, I'd probably intentionally spray that board incorrectly just to hear the board throw a temper tantrum. :P

• LOL 1
On 1/21/2023 at 1:13 PM, Attatude said:

I don’t understand how this series is so popular. It’s a soap opera.  I was so excited that Max Thieriot was starring but I’ve been disappointed all season.  None of the acting is very good but it could be because of the cheesy writing. The dialogue is predictable.  Bode is Clay Spenser with longer hair.  

If my memory holds Dallas spent most of its run on Friday nights. I guess that soap audience exists with the action audience that doesn't have a new movie to go to