Type keyword(s) to search

I'm So Disappointed In You: Celebrity Misdeeds

• Start Topic

On 9/2/2023 at 11:02 AM, Jaded said:

What a clickbait non-story; the article even acknowledges she is under no obligation to pay while the case is ongoing in tax court (she filed a petition challenging the assessment* back in April, the IRS has now filed its response standing by its calculations), it's just buried under a bunch of frothing language.

*This isn't a situation where some insanely wealthy person didn't file a return or pay a dime at all for years so owes an undisputed amount of back taxes.  She paid what she (well, presumably her team of tax accountants) calculated she owed each year.  This January, the IRS sent her a Report of Tax Examination Changes, saying she owed additional money for her 2018 and 2019 returns (and penalties for not paying the right amount, plus she'll incur interest until she pays).  In April, she filed a petition in tax court challenging that assessment.  Last week, the IRS filed its response, refuting her challenge.  That's all that has happened; the court will decide what she actually owes.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 8
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Cry your own river, Miss Knowles!

I had to pay a lot more percentage of my earnings to them one year and they never explained why but I bit the bullet and did it- and I had a LOT less means to bounce back than you!  Wasn't one  Mrs. 'only the little people pay taxes' Helmsley already one  too many? Sakes!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 2
On 8/28/2023 at 5:59 PM, Mabinogia said:

I learned about furries watching CSI. 

Me too. I mentioned that CSI episode in passing to someone who actually is a Furry once. They weren't happy with how furries were portrayed and said that it was a poor representation of what they're really like. I also learned about how there's some adult baby fetish thing that exists. This was one of my favorite CSI moments too. One I've never forgotten about.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
16 hours ago, Jaded said:

Me too. I mentioned that CSI episode in passing to someone who actually is a Furry once. They weren't happy with how furries were portrayed and said that it was a poor representation of what they're really like. I also learned about how there's some adult baby fetish thing that exists. This was one of my favorite CSI moments too. One I've never forgotten about.

Yes! OMG the adult babies. 

• Mind Blown 2

It killed me to see this about Jimmy Fallon.  He is my favorite at what he does.  I’m wondering why that happened.  There are some that spoke in his defense that it was long ago and was no longer an issue.  Idk.  Weird and sad.  Man…Ellen shocked me, but this is even more surprising.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/sep/08/jimmy-fallon-toxic-workplace-tonight-show-apology

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/jimmy-fallon-tonight-show-toxic-work-environment-crying-rooms-nbc-1234819421/

• Sad 5
35 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It killed me to see this about Jimmy Fallon.  He is my favorite at what he does.  I’m wondering why that happened.  There are some that spoke in his defense that it was long ago and was no longer an issue.  Idk.  Weird and sad.  

Not that I think that Fallon should get any kind of pass if he is a terrible boss but I do think the comedy world, especially late night comedy shows are a weird world probably unlike any other job out there. Like look at how Conan treats his assistant Sona on any of their on camera bits or on their podcast. If you never saw it before you might think he is awful to her, but after a little while it becomes clear she is in on the joke gives it back to him just as much and they are practically like family. Or look at how Seth Myers treats cue card guy Wally. He is also clearly in on it which makes it funny. But it's not super hard to see a scenario where other stars might think they have the same relationship with their employees while the employees don't see it the same way.

• Like 4
  • Useful 5
16 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Not that I think that Fallon should get any kind of pass if he is a terrible boss but I do think the comedy world, especially late night comedy shows are a weird world probably unlike any other job out there.

Sounds like the world of comedy has always had a toxicity to some degree or another.  The Dick Van Dyke Show, as one example, had Alan Brady being a terrible boss, demanding and unreasonable - and this was a less than subtle nod to comedians like Jackie Gleason and Milton Berle who were said to be horrible to work for.

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 2
  • Useful 10
14 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Sounds like the world of comedy has always had a toxicity to some degree or another.  The Dick Van Dyke Show, as one example, had Alan Brady being a terrible boss, demanding and unreasonable - and this was a less than subtle nod to comedians like Jackie Gleason and Milton Berle who were said to be horrible to work for.

I recall how Annie Lennox spelled out that the reason she had a bored expression during an interview  when coming back from commercial on the Late Show with David Letterman was that she had seen him refuse to so much as acknowledge anyone else during the break including those he'd acted chummy with oncamera and she decided that she didn't want to participate in the charade of faking he was all that.

I also heard that Johnny Carson was rather aloof to many of the guests offcamera as well.

BTW, the late Carl Reiner who played Alan Brady and had created The Dick Van Dyke Show had earlier worked for and performed with the legendary Sid Caesar on Your Show of Shows (1950-1955)and both would later admit that Alan Brady wasn't a much of an exaggeration of Mr. Caesar himself (who not only was quite demanding but somewhat intimidating since he was  also quite physically strong to the point that he himself once punched a horse unconscious  after the animal had gotten skittish to Mr. Caesar's wife  which would be the inspiration of that scene in their colleague Mel Brooks's  Blazing Saddles [1974]).

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Useful 5

I wonder how my staff would report me if someone asked?  Hmmmmm…..I’m pretty sure they’d say I was a perfectionist, intense and required a lot.  I do think they’d say I was fair, respectful and even tempered.  But, idk.  Occasionally, I have lunch with most of my former staff members…so, I guess all is well.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder how my staff would report me if someone asked?  Hmmmmm…..I’m pretty sure they’d say I was a perfectionist, intense and required a lot.  I do think they’d say I was fair, respectful and even tempered.  But, idk.  Occasionally, I have lunch with most of my former staff members…so, I guess all is well.  

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I doubt Jimmy's former staff want to have lunch with him. I certainly don't maintain that sort of a relationship with the boss I found intolerable to work with. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

I recall how Annie Lennox spelled out that the reason she had a bored expression during an interview  when coming back from commercial on the Late Show with David Letterman was that she had seen him refuse to so much as acknowledge anyone else during the break including those he'd acted chummy with oncamera and she decided that she didn't want to participate in the charade of faking he was all that.

I also heard that Johnny Carson was rather aloof to many of the guests offcamera as well.

BTW, the late Carl Reiner who played Alan Brady and had created The Dick Van Dyke Show had earlier worked for and performed with the legendary Sid Caesar on Your Show of Shows (1950-1955)and both would later admit that Alan Brady wasn't a much of an exaggeration of Mr. Caesar himself (who not only was quite demanding but somewhat intimidating since he was  also quite physically strong to the point that he himself once punched a horse unconscious  after the animal had gotten skittish to Mr. Caesar's wife  which would be the inspiration of that scene in their colleague Mel Brooks's  Blazing Saddles [1974]).

Of all the people that I believed would punch a horse, Sid Caesar was not on my list.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Stories have also suggested that alcohol was involved.

It's probably 30 Rock clouding my judgement a bit here. Because on that show Tina Fey made the "actors" on the SNL inspired show within the show complete self involved dumb-dumbs. So since she worked on SNL with Fallon, I can easily see him being like that and thinking that he has a great relationship with his staff, and the way he treats them is a hilarious joke they all love. While at the same time they actually hate it.

• Like 2

Jan Wenner, founder of Rolling Stone magazine, is just another racist, misogynistic, old white guy. Says Black, Female musicians not articulate enough for his new book ‘The Masters’.

To promote The Masters, Wenner sat for a lengthy interview of his own with The New York Times’ David Marchese (a onetime online editor at Rolling Stone), during which he opened up on how he zeroed in on those particular rockers for the book, many of whom are or were close friends. The book does not include any interviews with Black or female musicians, and Wenner’s explanation as to why is now catching heat online.

Marchese asked Wenner to further explain the selection process, which is addressed in the book’s introduction where he writes that performers of color and female performers are not in his zeitgeist. “When I was referring to the zeitgeist, I was referring to Black performers, not to the female performers, OK? Just to get that accurate. The selection was not a deliberate selection. It was kind of intuitive over the years; it just fell together that way. The people had to meet a couple criteria, but it was just kind of my personal interest and love of them. Insofar as the women, just none of them were as articulate enough on this intellectual level,” he said.

Another article likened him to men found on an incel website. I hope the book is a complete failure.

• Sad 6
  • Angry 1
  • Fire 6

There's a book I won't be reading. The Masters aka White Guys are Best, by Racists Misogynist, esq Hard pass. I'm female, so I'm probably not smart enough to understand it anyway. UGH

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Like 17
13 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Jan Wenner, founder of Rolling Stone magazine, is just another racist, misogynistic, old white guy. Says Black, Female musicians not articulate enough for his new book ‘The Masters’.

He is 100% a racist and a misogynist.  This part here:

He writes that performers of color and female performers are not in his zeitgeist. “When I was referring to the zeitgeist, I was referring to Black performers, not to the female performers, OK? Just to get that accurate. The selection was not a deliberate selection. It was kind of intuitive over the years; it just fell together that way. The people had to meet a couple criteria, but it was just kind of my personal interest and love of them. Insofar as the women, just none of them were as articulate enough on this intellectual level,”

Says that he doesn't like  black performers and women performers are too dumb and just don't speak well.  Sigh.

Black and women musicians, according to him, were not writing about deep things about a particular generation.  Meanwhile, the artists he does mention most of their entire sound and career has been heavily influenced by the black musicians he so casually dismisses.  What the fuck did he think the Blues were?  The entire Rap genre was created as a response to issues a particular generation was struggling with and rap lyrics have been deconstructed in academic circles as actual poetry. And if there hasn't been an interview by them conducted in his magazine that met his 'articulate' test maybe he should examine the types of access he's given them in history of his publication. 

Also calling his book 'The Masters'...Sigh.  The jokes just write themselves, he's made himself a punchline.

• Like 15
  • Applause 8

FWIW, I always thought Mr. Wenner was a self-important bore but then thumbed through his bio and concluded he was a self-justifying creep who didn't care who he hurt via his decisions or excesses- including his own family!

Yeah, way back when he founded the magazine, he was a visionary but he sure seemed insist on resting on his own laurels ASAP while   having everyone else worship him-and IMO that magazine hasn't attempted any kind objectivity or balance in decades!

• Like 6
30 minutes ago, Trini said:

Just to follow up; Wenner put out an apology (clearly written by a publicist, probably)

Since his own "apology" in that Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation conference call is what resulted in a near-unanimous vote to remove him from the Board, yeah, this one was written for him.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Trini said:

Just to follow up; Wenner put out an apology (clearly written by a publicist, probably): https://variety.com/2023/music/news/jann-wenner-removed-from-rock-hall-of-fame-comments-black-female-musicians-1235725503/

Naw.  That "apology" is bullshit.  He said what he said.  He even clarified and corrected the reporter when they pushed back so that the reporter would get it right.  He said that shit with his whole chest and back. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 8
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

What a pathetic "apology." 

Totally agree!

One could say that instead of attempting to shut the barn door after he let the horse out, Mr. Wenner shut the linen closet door- yet still expected everyone to pretend he didn't say what he said (or behaved as he's behaved for decades)!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
On 9/15/2023 at 11:41 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

What is amazingly shocking is how hard you have to go out of your way to say something that racist/sexist.  Like he could have easily wrote the book and said nothing, and if someone called him out he could have just said that these were the artists I really connected with when I was younger or these are my friends so the gave me great access or something. Pretty much anything would have been better than what he said and would be a non-story. Not to mention his list of "masters" is super lazy, especially for a guy who could have pretty much seen any artist at anytime anywhere for like the last 60 years. Like is there anything new this book could say about John Lennon or Bob Dylan, that hasn't already been said?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 19
  • Applause 1
On 9/16/2023 at 6:24 AM, Browncoat said:

White.  Male.

My husband is a lovely white (Jewish) male who accepts everyone as are my brothers. 
my oldest brother (RIP) was a regional manager for a very large corporation. He was incredibly successful because developed and hired people with skills sets and potential and those were his two main criteria.

- I don’t like generalizations.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Applause 5
On 9/10/2023 at 9:31 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

It's probably 30 Rock clouding my judgement a bit here. Because on that show Tina Fey made the "actors" on the SNL inspired show within the show complete self involved dumb-dumbs. So since she worked on SNL with Fallon, I can easily see him being like that and thinking that he has a great relationship with his staff, and the way he treats them is a hilarious joke they all love. While at the same time they actually hate it.

What are dumb dumbs?

• LOL 1
On 9/16/2023 at 6:24 AM, Browncoat said:
On 9/15/2023 at 11:41 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

The people had to meet a couple criteria,

White.  Male.

10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The poster didn't make a generalization about white males, they responded to Wenner's statement those he selected for the book had to "meet a couple of criteria" by identifying those two criteria as white and male.  (I only read this thread occasionally - but I did interpret it as a generalization about the two criteria being white and male. Maybe I read

6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Your post ended abruptly and got embedded with a quote of my post, but there was quite simply no generalization.  The first poster included a quote from an interview with Wenner, in which he said those he selected for his book "had to meet a couple of criteria" and the second poster quoted that to identify those two criteria as white and male.  Since the book does not include any interviews with Black or female musicians, it's not any sort of generalization about white men.  It's an accurate description of this one specific book by this one specific man (who in that same interview made blatantly racist and sexist statements about the exclusion of such artists). 

I am having problems with my ipad and this website no it keeps reloading on me. @Bastet, I respect you and enjoy you perspective even if I don’t always sync up. Since I don’t post or read on this thread mulch, I trust your word on the poster to whom I originally reacted.

I’m the context of the whole conversation I had a reaction that there is perhaps n over generalization about white males in general on this thread, maybe it is me reading things between the lines that aren’t there.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I am having problems with my ipad and this website no it keeps reloading on me. @Bastet, I respect you and enjoy you perspective even if I don’t always sync up. Since I don’t post or read on this thread mulch, I trust your word on the poster to whom I originally reacted.

I’m the context of the whole conversation I had a reaction that there is perhaps n over generalization about white males in general on this thread, maybe it is me reading things between the lines that aren’t there.

@bastet interpreted my post of “White. Male.” correctly. I was referring to Wenner’s criteria.

• Like 16
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Well isn't she special.

This is kinda old news, it was reported back last spring.  The IRS audited Beyonce's tax return from 2018 and disallowed some deductions, etc and sent her a bill for it early this year.  As any taxpayer can, she appealed the decision.  It isn't that she refused to pay, it's that she (or her accountants, at least) feel that the deductions were proper and should've been allowed.

Celebs are entitled to due process and the ability to appeal decisions like anyone else.  What Beyonce did is the same thing as any other taxpayer who has a dispute with the IRS can do.  

This has nothing to do with her recent tour.

I'm no massive Beyonce fan, but this is just SOP for people who get their returns audited, IMO.  I guess she and Jay Z file separately.

• Like 11
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

As any taxpayer can, she appealed the decision.  It isn't that she refused to pay, it's that she (or her accountants, at least) feel that the deductions were proper and should've been allowed.

Yes, I noted this at the time this news was first posted here (when the IRS filed its response to her petition, standing by its assessment) -- the clickbait headline led to an article that itself acknowledged (after a bunch of frothing language, of course), she is under no obligation to pay while this case makes its way through tax court.  She paid her taxes each year.  Early this year, the IRS sent her notice she owed additional money for her 2018 and 2019 returns.  A few months later, she filed in tax court challenging that assessment.  The IRS recently responded, which is when it popped up in the news here.  Now the case will proceed and the court will determine what, if anything, she owes.

1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Celebs are entitled to due process and the ability to appeal decisions like anyone else.  What Beyonce did is the same thing as any other taxpayer who has a dispute with the IRS can do.  

Exactly.  It's splashed across headlines because it's a celebrity and a lot of money, but if I received an assessment I (or, the team of accountants, in her case) believed improper, I wouldn't just write out a check, either -- I'd do exactly what she did.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, Notabug said:

This is kinda old news, it was reported back last spring.  The IRS audited Beyonce's tax return from 2018 and disallowed some deductions, etc and sent her a bill for it early this year.  As any taxpayer can, she appealed the decision.  It isn't that she refused to pay, it's that she (or her accountants, at least) feel that the deductions were proper and should've been allowed.

This has nothing to do with her recent tour.

I'm no massive Beyonce fan, but this is just SOP for people who get their returns audited, IMO.  I guess she and Jay Z file separately.

I am not a fan of hers.  Don't dislike her but her music and personality do nothin for me.

That being said I am under the impression many mega famous people like her can't exactly be bothered to track their money like that.  Same deal with Shakira.

I mean maybe I'm naive but I dont think they are necessarily trying to pull one over so to speak 

• Like 7
22 hours ago, Notabug said:

That's true but it doesn't mean I can't still judge her because it's extremely likely that she isn't paying anywhere near the amount of taxes she should be.  Which goes for other extremely wealthy people, too.  I'm not going to single her out for judgment.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

That's true but it doesn't mean I can't still judge her because it's extremely likely that she isn't paying anywhere near the amount of taxes she should be.  Which goes for other extremely wealthy people, too.  I'm not going to single her out for judgment.

It's the irony of wealthy, the more money you have the more loopholes your high priced accountants can find. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 1

Celebrated indigenous musician Buffy Sainte-Marie is not actually Native.

From the early days of her career, Sainte-Marie has claimed to be a Cree woman, born in Canada. She has also allowed herself to be celebrated as an Indigenous icon and success story...However, almost 50 years after stepping onto Sesame Street, the iconic singer-songwriter’s claims to Indigenous ancestry are being contradicted by members of her own family and an extensive CBC investigation...

A simple Google search shows that virtually every available source says Sainte-Marie was born on the Piapot First Nation in Saskatchewan.

But that was contradicted late last year when a tipster provided CBC with a copy of what appeared to be Sainte-Marie’s birth certificate, obtained from a small town hall in Massachusetts.

That record said Beverly Jean Santamaria, who started going by the name Buffy Sainte-Marie early in her music career, was born in 1941 in Stoneham, Mass., north of Boston, to Albert and Winifred Santamaria — the couple Sainte-Marie claimed adopted her.

Mother, father and baby were all listed as white...

Given the doubt cast upon her ancestry by the birth certificate, CBC decided to investigate Sainte-Marie’s ancestry claims.

That review, examining genealogical records and media stories along with interviews with some members of her family, confirmed the facts presented in Sainte-Marie’s birth certificate...

Sainte-Marie was raised by Albert and Winifred Santamaria in the town of Wakefield, Mass., along with her elder brother, Alan, and a younger sister, Lainey.

Albert’s parents were born in Italy, while Winifred’s mother and father were of mostly English ancestry.

It's a long article but definitely worth the read. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 7
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 4
6 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Celebrated indigenous musician Buffy Sainte-Marie is not actually Native.

It's a long article but definitely worth the read. 

Although I have to wonder why this investigation has happened now that Miss Sainte-Marie is evidently 82 and retired, I can't help but think that she likely had some serious issues with her evident family in Massachusetts to have evidently created an entirely new identity for herself.  It seems somewhat deeper than the MO of Iron Eyes Cody (1904-1999) who had been born in Louisiana to Italian immigrant parents but from his 30's onward claimed to be Native American to get cast as such in movie productions!

Although, I give her credit for at least giving light to the  hidden history and struggles of Native Americans and embracing their causes, I hope she can actually somehow find her peace with her true identity whatever it may be in what time remains to her. I wonder if she may have worked so hard to erase it that she's convinced herself that it had never been real (as in the case of Anna Anderson Manahan(1896-1984)who'd claimed to have been the executed Grand Duchess Anastasia ). Of course, it needs to be added that her grown son DOES have Native American heritage through his father! 

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

It seems somewhat deeper than the MO of Iron Eyes Cody (1904-1999) who had been born in Louisiana to Italian immigrant parents but from his 30's onward claimed to be Native American to get cast as such in movie productions!

I read the article last week when it first came out, and I don't know that the initial motive really was anything deeper than career opportunities. As the article points out, she tried several conflicting variations of her origin story before settling on this specific one in the early 60s as her career was taking off (and it seems like she did so after realizing she could tenuously match her background to someone's daughter who was taken from that reserve) and it helped distinguish her during a time when folk music and singer-songwriters were on the rise. 

She does accuse her brother of abusing her as a child, and that certainly could still be true. According to her family, she sent him a legal notice threatening to expose him for this only after he was contacted by a PBS producer who'd run into him inadvertandly with her at an airport (her brother was a pilot) and the producer was shocked that her sibling was clearly white. The producer wanted more info on her background, and her brother confirmed that she was never adopted. 

Obviously nobody else knows what happened in that house except for the people who were in it. But there is pretty conclusive evidence that she did lie about her background, as proven by a paper trail very separate from her family's accusations, and he was not the only relative to refute her background story. Early in her career, an uncle also pointed out she was lying about her background, but it seems to have been a one-off mention in a newspaper that didn't receive much attention. The brother's encounter with the producer, though, threatened her opportunity to first appear on Sesame Street at a time when she was more nationally known and was also trying to revitalize her career as she pivoted to other music genres. The family maintains that she threatened her brother with the accusation to force him to be quiet, and he complied because he knew she had more money and could outlast him in a legal battle. 

As for why it's only now being reported, it seems the CBC got a tip they followed up on.

I am more familiar with her from acting roles than her music. I was a big fan of the miniseries Son of the Morning Star when I was a kid, and even as an adult with a history degree, her narration for the character Kate Bighead still basically lives rent-free in my head when I think of the Battle of the Little Bighorn. I never before questioned the narrative she told, but I do find the article's findings about her lies pretty damning and hard to refute. This isn't someone who confusedly repeated family stories that weren't true but were passed down as fact and so was guilty of ignorance more than anything else. This is someone who seems to have very intentionally lied about an entirely fictional background.

I've read about other people's very vivid experiences of being victims of what she claims happened to her and the dramatic impact it has on them for the entire lives--like Eric Schweig from Last of the Mohicans, who was taken from his mother in the Sixties Scoop she claims she was also removed from her family from--and I do think it's at the very least highly distasteful of her to pretend like she was victimized in the same way when she wasn't. She may have genuinely had a bad childhood she wanted to escape from, but that's not an excuse to invent a trauma for herself that other people legitimately endured and co-opt it for her own purposes. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 7
  • Useful 3