Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Chloe

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Premiere Date: Sunday, January 8, 2023      8pm     FOX

NOTE: The start time might change if Football game runs long, so add additional recording time.
Anais Lalande as Chloe Garber
Natalie Brown as Anna Garber
Noam Jenkins as Roger Garber
alert-101-nikki-jason.jpg
Alert-S1_01-SC153-SM_00083_f.jpg
Alert-S1_02-SC136-SM_00019_f.jpg
Next New Episode: Monday, January 9, 2023      9pm     FOX
(This is the show's Regular Day and Time)

1 minute ago, secnarf said:

I am confused - are we meant to think this is a kid posing as Keith?

I think so, maybe using the real kid’s diaries

I’m confused about the child Scott Caan’s character rescued. At the beginning, the bomb went off though it looked like everyone survived. But in the replay towards the end, it didn’t go off. Did I miss something?

6 hours ago, OLynn33 said:

I like Scott Caan.

I don't like when they go to the alert noise.

Sister and dog aren't buying fake Keith. 

I can only suspend my disbelief so far. 

Maybe...

All this ↑ except I don't like SC.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

So, I think I had higher hopes for this show than I think I should have. The idea behind the show is good, but the execution? Not so much so far.

I know pilots can be rough but this pilot was REAL rough.

I don't mind Scott Caan but don't particularly love his acting, and I haven't liked Dania Ramirez in other works, so this was already going to be an iffy situation with the leads. And...yep, pretty much how I figured it would go. Jason Grant is a pretty terrible person, even if he can admit how terrible he is. And although Nikki is slightly more likeable, Dania's acting is just so...meh. This is the best I've seen her in, but that's not saying much.

I REALLY hated the orgasm scene with the two. Not just because it makes Jason look terrible as a person to be stringing along his girlfriend, it showcased how little chemistry Scott and Dania have.

Also, for a show based off of time sensitive cases, they were...entirely lax with finding the missing girl...twice. Nikki even LOSES her a second time and she spends time flying across the country and back while the kid is still missing.

I don't love the twist of Nikki being engaged to her coworker while still married to Jason because Jason can't sign the divorce papers, despite trying for a kid with another woman. Like, I get being heavily affected by their son being missing. It doesn't excuse this mess of a storyline.

I also pretty much figured that Missing Kid Keith would show up at some point. I didn't expect it to be the pilot AND already show how he's probably NOT their kid. It's a lot to shove into the first episode, when we're still getting to know these characters.

Honestly, I think they would have been better off saving Fake Keith for a future episode. We needed to establish these characters more BEFORE they brought Keith But Maybe Not Keith on. And I hope they actually stick with this Fake Keith being fake, because if there's another twist where it's real Keith, I'm gonna be annoyed. I really like the idea that this kid is going to play Jason and Nikki and Jason's dumb ass convinced Nikki that this is actually their kid, despite it clearly NOT being him. And I won't blame Nikki for being hella pissed when it's revealed, because she was adamant that Fake Keith had different eyes and Jason made it seem like she was wrong.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, I think I had higher hopes for this show than I think I should have. The idea behind the show is good, but the execution? Not so much so far.

I know pilots can be rough but this pilot was REAL rough.

I don't mind Scott Caan but don't particularly love his acting, and I haven't liked Dania Ramirez in other works, so this was already going to be an iffy situation with the leads. And...yep, pretty much how I figured it would go. Jason Grant is a pretty terrible person, even if he can admit how terrible he is. And although Nikki is slightly more likeable, Dania's acting is just so...meh. This is the best I've seen her in, but that's not saying much.

I REALLY hated the orgasm scene with the two. Not just because it makes Jason look terrible as a person to be stringing along his girlfriend, it showcased how little chemistry Scott and Dania have.

Also, for a show based off of time sensitive cases, they were...entirely lax with finding the missing girl...twice. Nikki even LOSES her a second time and she spends time flying across the country and back while the kid is still missing.

I don't love the twist of Nikki being engaged to her coworker while still married to Jason because Jason can't sign the divorce papers, despite trying for a kid with another woman. Like, I get being heavily affected by their son being missing. It doesn't excuse this mess of a storyline.

I also pretty much figured that Missing Kid Keith would show up at some point. I didn't expect it to be the pilot AND already show how he's probably NOT their kid. It's a lot to shove into the first episode, when we're still getting to know these characters.

Honestly, I think they would have been better off saving Fake Keith for a future episode. We needed to establish these characters more BEFORE they brought Keith But Maybe Not Keith on. And I hope they actually stick with this Fake Keith being fake, because if there's another twist where it's real Keith, I'm gonna be annoyed. I really like the idea that this kid is going to play Jason and Nikki and Jason's dumb ass convinced Nikki that this is actually their kid, despite it clearly NOT being him. And I won't blame Nikki for being hella pissed when it's revealed, because she was adamant that Fake Keith had different eyes and Jason made it seem like she was wrong.

I need to watch the episode again because I missed some stuff, but I agree with your comments in general. I really disliked Caan's character. He was a mess and the silliness of it didn't seem to fit well into a dramatic show with people missing and having to be found ASAP. As for Keith, clearly they can do a DNA test to be sure, but I'll bet Nikki will balk at that for reasons. So definitely a rough pilot, just too much going on, with a silly, messy character doing and saying silly (and offensive) things

• Like 5
1 minute ago, DanaK said:

As for Keith, clearly they can do a DNA test to be sure,

The only thing they did right there was have the scene with Jason was telling the fertility nurse that both his kids were adopted, so a DNA test actually would not work, in this case. They actually inserted a logical explanation there.

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

The only thing they did right there was have the scene with Jason was telling the fertility nurse that both his kids were adopted, so a DNA test actually would not work, in this case. They actually inserted a logical explanation there.

Clearly another thing I missed. I definitely need to do a rewatch

There’s nothing special about “the not missing kid” finally returns home. It has been done so many times before. I remember the one from L&O:SVU.

Jason Grant is as annoying as Danny Williams. We haven’t seen him doing his private security works as he’s supposed to. He spends more of his time at Nikki’s office instead. Why? So far, am not sure who is more annoying, Jason or Kemi.

And Dania Ramirez still cannot act. Enuf said.

Their teenage daughter is played by Fivel Stewart who’s recently seen in Netflix’s The Recruit, playing an adult role. So yeah, totally believable. 🙄

Am out! 👋🏻 

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

There’s nothing special about “the not missing kid” finally returns home. It has been done so many times before. I remember the one from L&O:SVU.

It's sad how predictable it is. I called it before the fake kid showed up: either they're committing to them finding their son in this first episode and it'll not be their kid, or it'll be false leads throughout the season which leads to their real kid being found at the end of the season.

I would have rather the latter cliche without the former also being an option.

• Like 4

They can still do a DNA to match something of his they kept when he was younger, like a hair follicle from a comb or toothbrush (or even a baby tooth?)  They match would not be against them but against his pre-abduction self.

• Like 12
  • Useful 1

What person gets a call that his kid is missing, MPU says their kid has been abducted, and just says "I'll find him when I get home in 16 hours. Bye!" And the wife just accepts that?! 

Was jumping in the pool really a huge time saver? Are all cops' guns impervious to being fully submerged underwater?

This show is ridiculous and I'm only 8 minutes in.

Edited by QQQQ
  • LOL 3
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's sad how predictable it is. I called it before the fake kid showed up: either they're committing to them finding their son in this first episode and it'll not be their kid, or it'll be false leads throughout the season which leads to their real kid being found at the end of the season.

Called it as well. And shocked that as police officers they didn't go through his backpack or question him on his whereabouts, kidnappers, etc? They usually say that if you don't recall this stuff within the first couple of hours, your memory fades. 

Wonder what FakeKeith's angle is.  Is he working with the actual kidnappers of realKeith? Was he also kidnapped along with realKeith and they just shared their memories??

• Like 5

I think it's totally against protocol for her to be 'promising to get their baby back'  all the cops i watch drill it in just to say they will be trying their best. look how many missing people are never found.

• Like 5
On 1/8/2023 at 7:03 PM, secnarf said:

I am confused - are we meant to think this is a kid posing as Keith?

Once the dog barked, I was totally sure he wasn't Keith. Yeah, I think he's FakeKeith.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:59 PM, QQQQ said:

What person gets a call that his kid is missing, MPU says their kid has been abducted, and just says "I'll find him when I get home in 16 hours. Bye!" And the wife just accepts that?!

He was in Afghanistan - it would take him that long to get home - just a statement of fact that it's the soonest he could be there. It didn't mean that the cops should wait to start looking for their son, imo. Just that he'd join the search and find their son when he got back.

I happen to like Scott Caan. It's not the greatest first episode, but I'm running out of shows to watch when I exercise so I'll stick with it a while.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Once the dog barked, I was totally sure he wasn't Keith. Yeah, I think he's FakeKeith.

He was in Afghanistan - it would take him that long to get home - just a statement of fact that it's the soonest he could be there. It didn't mean that the cops should wait to start looking for their son, imo. Just that he'd join the search and find their son when he got back.

I happen to like Scott Caan. It's not the greatest first episode, but I'm running out of shows to watch when I exercise so I'll stick with it a while.

Yes, I get that. But wouldn't the average parent, I don't know... Ask a few more questions???!!! It was handled with the same reaction as if she'd called to say the wi-fi wasn't working or the car was making an odd noise.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, QQQQ said:

Yes, I get that. But wouldn't the average parent, I don't know... Ask a few more questions???!!! It was handled with the same reaction as if she'd called to say the wi-fi wasn't working or the car was making an odd noise.

Fair point.

The sloppiness of this show was way over the top. When they found the girl the first time, why wouldn't the parents come to the station? Do the transfer on safer, nuetral ground?

Why would you not post a guard outside the parent's place in case, these nefarious dudes tried again. It was obvious something bigger was at play. So, they just treat the kid like she's a door dash order and drop her off at home?

Plus, first thing they should have done was ask Keith where he was. What the kidnapper looked like and all sorts of...ummm..police questions! You got your kid back, wouldn't you like to get the guy who took him so he doesn't do it again?

Also, they should know that a kid gone THAT long would have a serious adjustment issues that first night and a bit of Stockholm Syndrome.

The parents were just "Oh, la, la, la we got our kid back" and no fingerprinting him just to be sure?

This show has a decent couple of cast members..mainly the bald woman and the "Al Green" guy but the rest?  Nope.....

It seems like a techier rip off of "Without a Trace" with better lighting and a few happy pills thrown into the mix...Weird, just weird...Oh yeah, the snippet of the theme song they played was a rip off of "Without a Trace" too...

Yeah, won't waste my time as there are a lot more interesting shows to watch..

• Like 4
18 hours ago, stonehaven said:

It seems like a techier rip off of "Without a Trace" with better lighting and a few happy pills thrown into the mix...Weird, just weird...Oh yeah, the snippet of the theme song they played was a rip off of "Without a Trace" too...

I'm on Season 4 of Without a Trace right now. When I saw Alert was a missing persons show I thought I would give it a try, but wow, this is so much worse than WaT. As someone else said, the story with their kid is somewhat interesting, but the rest is a dumpster fire so far.

I still can't believe she opened fire on the SUV when the missing girl WAS in the back! Ugh!

• Like 1

Scott Caan looks so much like his father, I was not expecting him to have much sensitivity or finesse.   Hey, self-fulfilling prophecy!

Huge ridiculous handwave that six-years missing "Keith" just gets the blood wiped off his lacerated face (Hello?) and immediately gets waltzed off for pancakes and warm fuzzies.  "Um, 'Keith,' did you notice any other frightened kidnapped children hanging around the place where you were kept for six years?  And where was that, by the way?  Oh, never mind.  Eat your pancakes and catch some zz's while we re-bond over your old photo album."

No one ever listens to the dog.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

I was hoping for much better!  Dania and Scott have no chemistry whatsoever so I don't buy they were married.  I don't like she's engaged to a coworker in the same dept.  

I didn't understand how their missing son was in Vegas and they go there ...immediately from Philadelphia!  Forget the clock is ticking on the abducted girl.  Son was not there, but they receive a call to pay a ransom?  They return to Philly and continue looking for the abducted girl. No further investigating on their son.  But after they rescue the kidnapped girl, the missing son calls to be picked up in Philadelphia?  No mention of the ransom?  No questions like who took him?  Where was he for the last 6 years, etc?  No testing or fingerprinting or a medical evaluation?  They acted like they just picked him up from soccer practice!

This had to be the LONGEST day ever!  A girl is kidnapped, found and kidnapped again.  A proposal (at work...sigh).  Round trip flight across the country, diffused a bomb and missing son calls the dad to pick him up.  

I really hope Fake Keith doesn't turn into a ripoff of documentary The Imposter.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1966604/

Edited by juliet73
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

I saw the last half of the season when it aired and am just getting around to watching the pilot (it was clearly a priority for me!). Wow, they really crammed a ridiculous amount of stuff in it! Like, you can spread the backstory over multiple eps. And so many shifts in tone, like the proposal in the middle just felt weird. Not that a show has to always be heavy or light all the time (and shows like Without a Trace, which I love, had its light moments at times). But it feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be.