Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: On Dangerous Ground

Artsda
  • Start Topic

DANNY AND JAMIE CLASH OVER A GANG-RELATED SHOOTING AFTER JAMIE OVERSTEPS AS PART OF HIS NEW POSITION, ON "BLUE BLOODS," FRIDAY, NOV. 18

"On Dangerous Ground" - Danny and Jamie clash over a gang-related shooting after Jamie oversteps as part of his new position and Danny empathizes too closely with a victim. Also, Erin and Anthony search for answers when a lawyer in their office jeopardizes a case involving Erin's nephew, Joe Hill (Will Hochman); and Frank grows concerned when he's not invited to speak at a policing forum, on BLUE BLOODS, Friday, Nov. 18 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Couldn't care less about Frank's story and hated Henry's comment that it was "God's will" that Frank be Commissioner. Insert eye roll here.

I love Jamie but he definitely came off as a bit snotty and big for his britches in the conversation he had with Danny outside the house. But ... He realized he maybe didn't know everything and tried to make it right in the case and by going to see Danny with the pizza after.

Danny can be incredibly inflexible and holds a grudge like nobody's business. Curious to see if this tension between the brothers will carry over into the rest of the season. I know that they had issues in the earlier seasons but I thought they had gotten beyond this. 

Edited by wlk68
  • Love 1

I don't think I like any of these people anymore. Maybe time to break up with this show.

Sean, he's a good kid. Got a sense of humor. I like Sean.

Frank's plots are so boring and take up so much time. Will he speak at the College of Justice? Why didn't he call Jamie to tell him the mayor will call soon? Why does it take so long for paint to dry????

Danny is a jerk. a bowling ball crashing through people's lives.

Erin is so mean, forever and ever.  She holds her head in her hands, sorry that she was too tough on the ADA who committed suicide, then gets up and goes and tears Joe a new one.

This show has gone on so long they can't even make plausible excuses in-show why Frank is still in the commissioner's office.

Is this what they call hate watching?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Danny was right and Jamie wasn't getting it. 

Jamie was only caring about his new job of going after the bigger. He didn't think of the consequences.  

Him doing that deal almost ended up with not only the kid who shot the women getting killed, but also Danny too.  Great job Jamie!

Erin was really annoying especially her going to Joe just to yell at him, when he was right about her department. 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Woodrose said:

I don't think I like any of these people anymore. Maybe time to break up with this show.

Frank's plots are so boring and take up so much time. Will he speak at the College of Justice? Why didn't he call Jamie to tell him the mayor will call soon? Why does it take so long for paint to dry????

Erin is so mean, forever and ever.  She holds her head in her hands, sorry that she was too tough on the ADA who committed suicide, then gets up and goes and tears Joe a new one.

This show has gone on so long they can't even make plausible excuses in-show why Frank is still in the commissioner's office.

I agree with everything you wrote.

Franks plots are so dull. His plots are pretty much him sitting at his desk while he talks to his three underlings, all of whom I have grown to dislike. Nothing really happens in his plots or it feels like it all happens offscreen. I rolled my eyes at Frank's climate change line. Of course, Frank does not believe in climate change.

I thought it was out of character for Jamie to miss why the lady gave up the kid's name so quickly. Jamie usually is a bit more thorough. Of course Danny cannot be wrong.

Joe was right about Erin's department. Seriously she went to yell at him, then throw in his face that his dad wouldn't like him saying what he did to her? Really? Just because he is your nephew Erin, does not mean he has to respect you. This family is so sanctimonious. Run Joe. Run far away.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I rolled my eyes at Frank's climate change line. Of course, Frank does not believe in climate change.

Same. I wondered if it was on brand for Selleck as well. Would not surprise me.

What everybody said about Frank's plot. I kept thinking I must have missed something. Why is this such a big deal? And then the ploy to get him to be there? Jesus. And speaking of, yes the chosen by god line was too much. I generally let the religious stuff go with this show because that's who these characters genuinely are but that line speaks to something else.

This show is circling the drain.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Woodrose said:

That ceremony to celebrate the “longest serving PC” did have the feel of a farewell, didn’t it?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Artsda said:

Danny was right and Jamie wasn't getting it. 

Jamie was only caring about his new job of going after the bigger. He didn't think of the consequences.  

Him doing that deal almost ended up with not only the kid who shot the women getting killed, but also Danny too.  Great job Jamie!

Erin was really annoying especially her going to Joe just to yell at him, when he was right about her department. 

This new “intelligence” position is ridiculous. Even his boss can’t explain the job responsibilities clearly. It just seems like a lame excuse to allow Jamie to wander around the city like a loose cannon. And to your point, Jamie was in his precinct sergeant position long enough to learn Danny was right. I did like the look on his face, however, when the kid found him waiting outside the window!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, OLynn33 said:

And speaking of, yes the chosen by god line was too much. I generally let the religious stuff go with this show because that's who these characters genuinely are but that line speaks to something else.

I agree with you. In the past, religion has been kept to their private lives. They to church weekly, they pray before dinner, but we have not seem them bring their religion into their public life and events.

1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The timeline is off on these people’s lives. If Frank has served for 50 years, is Grandpa Teeth supposed to be 100 years old?  

I thought they meant he has been with the department/served the department for 50 years (either as a police officer or as commissioner), because that would fit the timeline. In some episode, Frank mentioned walking a beat during the Watergate hearings, which would have been sometime between summer of 1973 and summer of 1974. If his first day on the job was November of 1972, then the timeline makes sense.

I love seeing Danny and Jamie go at each other. I like it when the show explores the sibling dynamic through work issues.

It was great seeing what Joe is like working an ordinary case. When you think about it, Joe is a little frightening, because it's Danny's temperament and Jamie's mind.

I was disappointed with where the Frank storyline went. I thought we were going to see Henry and Sid do a horrible job of Q and A, or how badly the Q and A went would be left up to the viewer's imagination and then Frank would need to damage control.

3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The timeline is off on these people’s lives. If Frank has served for 50 years, is Grandpa Teeth supposed to be 100 years old?  

Just wait till you need dentures! (Hope you never have to go there). Seriously, though, Pops may have come to the party later and retired earlier than the 50 year mark. Most folks retire at 30 years in union positions, mostly because they’re given monetary incentives to do so. By that time municipalities can hire two employees for the salary of the experienced retiree. Of course, they lose the benefit of that experience. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

or as commissioner), because that would fit the timeline. In some episode, Frank mentioned walking a beat during the Watergate hearings, which would have been sometime between summer of 1973 and summer of 1974. If his first day on the job was November of 1972, then the timeline makes sense.

Yes, this. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Daff said:

Pops may have come to the party later and retired earlier than the 50 year mark. Most folks retire at 30 years in union positions, mostly because they’re given monetary incentives to do so.

That sounds about right. In this episode, I think they said Frank was the longest serving police commissioner. My understanding of how this works is that police commissioner is officially a civilian, so someone retires from the department, and is then appointed police commissioner.

We know that Henry was already police commissioner or became commissioner early in Frank's career. Henry mentioned being commissioner during the 1977 blackout/riot. We know the character fought in the Korean War, which means he probably joined the department in 1953 or 1954 at the latest.

Wait, Henry was the Commissioner during the 1977 Blackout? But recently, he mentioned being pushed out by the guy who was Commissioner during 9/11, and that guy was replaced by Frank. So fictional New York City has only had three Police Commissioners in over forty five years? Yikes. In the real world, there's been FIFTEEN in that time frame. 

Edited by Brian Cronin
  • Useful 3

random incomplete thoughts:  I didn't get why Sid and Gramps were faking they were going to speak. I didn't get why the heck Eddie was so excited over cake.  I didn't get why Erin came so hard at her nephew, nothing he said was wrong.  I hate that I'm not liking this show anymore.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, TV Diva Queen said:

random incomplete thoughts:  I didn't get why Sid and Gramps were faking they were going to speak. I didn't get why the heck Eddie was so excited over cake.  I didn't get why Erin came so hard at her nephew, nothing he said was wrong.  I hate that I'm not liking this show anymore.  

The cake excitement was just Eddie trying to distract / diffuse the rising tensions.  The cake was the equivalent of shiny keys you dangle in front of toddlers about to have a meltdown. 

As for the rest, I got nuthin'. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, wlk68 said:

The cake excitement was just Eddie trying to distract / diffuse the rising tensions.  The cake was the equivalent of shiny keys you dangle in front of toddlers about to have a meltdown. 

As for the rest, I got nuthin'. 

well then I guess I did get it.  LOL  OMG So freaking stupid.  I thought for a second it was going to be a gender reveal cake.  

• LOL 2

This episode was just...off. Nothing really made sense, characters weren't really in character, etc. Everything in Frank's story was forced and awkward. Did someone bring a baggie of extra-potent weed into the writers' room this week?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

This episode was just...off. Nothing really made sense, characters weren't really in character, etc. Everything in Frank's story was forced and awkward. Did someone bring a baggie of extra-potent weed into the writers' room this week?

Jamie's whole plot was the epitome of Plot-Induced Stupidity. "Huh, why DIDN'T I question the source that gave up Elijah? Oh well, let me just ignore that for some reason, even though I'd never actually do that." 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NJRadioGuy said:

I don't think so.  The episode would have been far more entertaining and funny if they had.  Seems like they phoned this one in.

4 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Jamie's whole plot was the epitome of Plot-Induced Stupidity. "Huh, why DIDN'T I question the source that gave up Elijah? Oh well, let me just ignore that for some reason, even though I'd never actually do that." 

Agreed. Jamie seemed very out of character.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, wlk68 said:

To be fair to Eddie, sometimes the conversational equivalent of "hey, look over there" works. What it lacks it subtly is more than made up for in effectiveness if it works.

6 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Was the previous event that Frank was complaining about from an actual episode or was it new backstory introduced in this episode? 

I think it was something that we as the audience have not seen. I thought it was mentioning an earlier episode, but then I realized I was thinking of an episode that was from more than three years ago.

Apparently, the main theme across this episode is PETTINESS.

Geez! 🙄

At this point, Frank should retire, just stay home with Henry, doing crosswords puzzles.

Erin is always a b!tch but to drag her late brother into her situation with Joe, that’s next level of b!tchiness. She’s okay with Danny and Jamie constantly barging into her office because they’re her brothers but not Joe and not Eddie (she warned her before). 😣

Jamie’s new job doesn’t seem to bring any justice to his character. Can this be undone?

• Love 2

I guess I'm in the minority.  I didn't mind Erin dressing down Joe.  It's not about whether he was right or about what he said.  It's how he said it.  He wouldn't talk to the DA or another Bureau Chief like that (at least he shouldn't) but he does with Erin.  She doesn't like it when Jaime and (especially) Danny treats her like that in her own office.  She has given them grief over it but they keep on. Their relationships are influenced by a lifetime of family dynamics that right or wrong she's never going to be able to change.  With Joe and Eddie she's trying to put a stop to it up front and make it clear that what Jaime and Danny do isn't right and just because they're.able to get it away with, that doesn't extend to them.  I completely agree with her nipping that shit in the bud.  With Joe, the "your father would be ashamed" comment, it was a little harsh but I don't think it's off the mark. As she pointed out, Joe is her nephew and she deserves to be treated with basic respect. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I think it was something that we as the audience have not seen. I thought it was mentioning an earlier episode, but then I realized I was thinking of an episode that was from more than three years ago.

Yeah, now that you mention it, there was some OTHER college plot like that, from MANY years earlier, right? Like Season 4 or something like that. That just keeps with my general complaint about the show, that the critiques of the police are always off-camera. 

21 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I vaguely remember something too...did the college kids jeer and boo at him when he went to speak?  In any case, I think it is that incident because I could swear I heard them say on the episode that the incident occurred 3 or 4 years ago...that is how long it had been since Frank had gone there.

Edited by izabella
1 hour ago, Brian Cronin said:

Yeah, now that you mention it, there was some OTHER college plot like that, from MANY years earlier, right? Like Season 4 or something like that. That just keeps with my general complaint about the show, that the critiques of the police are always off-camera. 

58 minutes ago, izabella said:

I vaguely remember something too...did the college kids jeer and boo at him when he went to speak?  In any case, I think it is that incident because I could swear I heard them say on the episode that the incident occurred 3 or 4 years ago...that is how long it had been since Frank had gone there.

I couldn't tell you which season it was, but I know it was when Nicky was in college. The college kids did jeer and boo at him when he went to speak. The school where Frank spoke in this episode had Criminal Justice in the name. The school in the episode that aired years ago I think may have been Columbia, because that's where Nicky was a student, or it was Hudson University.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

The school in this episode was the New York College of criminal justice, which I presume was a stand-in for the real John Jay College of criminal Justice. But Since the vast majority of those students become cops, I don’t know why they wouldn’t be receptive to the police commissioner.

then again, I don’t understand much about the show these days. I barely pay attention most of the time, and I record it! Although I do agree with @Maverick that Erin was well within her rights to dress down Joe. He is NOT her brother and whether he was right was not the point. The last thing she needs is her nephew charging into her office like a bull in a China shop, demanding she do this and that. She gets enough of that from Danny and sometimes Jamie. Allowing her nephew to do it as well is courting disaster. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 11/20/2022 at 3:28 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

If Frank started at 20, he could be 70 and grandpa could be 90.  

On 11/21/2022 at 11:15 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

I didn't get why the heck Eddie was so excited over cake. 

She was just trying to stop the arguing.  And i would imagine always listening to all that arguing would make a person just want cake. If you like cake.  I don't, but I might go crazy over cookies in such a situaion.