Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

I do remember that person who use to run that "ShitSQersSay" blog deactivated theirs because some SQers were threatening to hack into their bank accounts and stuff. I wonder if that's the same person. Holycrap this is all insane.

• Love 1

This is insane!! Since when did being a fan involve identity-theft and criminal threats? I don't think even the HP fandom got this crazy (though there were some incidents IIRC). I'm happy to stay in my drama-free bubble! 

• Love 4

If someone hacks your tumblr or your twitter, you contact tumblr and twitter support.  No one needs to turn it into a witch hunt with creepy IP talking (I barely followed that rambling post but my impression is that a good portion is devoted to bashing a user who had nothing to do with the hacking so...good job not causing additional unneeded drama)  

I feel like I'm back in the Lost fandom shipping wars.  The level of martyrdom shippers are capable of affecting is tiresome.  I use tumblr daily, but I don't go into shipping tags very often, precisely because of this kind of childishness.  

• Love 3

This is why I come here with most of my show-related (and character-related) complains. I just know that if I kept posting the stuff I post here on Tumblr, some overinvested fan would make it their life mission to start a witchhunt.

But I have to say, I haven't really seen *many* people talking about this? I've checked some of the most popular-most reblogged CS blogs, and none of them have anything about it. The only people blogging about it are the CS blogs that are pretty much dedicated to "venting". Can't speak for the SQ fandom.

• Love 1

This is why I come here with most of my show-related (and character-related) complains. I just know that if I kept posting the stuff I post here on Tumblr, some overinvested fan would make it their life mission to start a witchhunt.

But I have to say, I haven't really seen *many* people talking about this? I've checked some of the most popular-most reblogged CS blogs, and none of them have anything about it. The only people blogging about it are the CS blogs that are pretty much dedicated to "venting". Can't speak for the SQ fandom.

Apology posts have crossed my dash but they're from the same two users and at last sighting one of them had descended into the usual SQ/CS arguments. 

This person is supposedly a superhacker with military background who tracks people's IPs for fun and keeps a blog for "receips" and we're supposed to believe a rando CS fan who then disappeared is behind this supposed cyber attack... and not the person tracking IPs who's super invested in showing SQ "receipts"?

I read this sentence and died laughing. BLESS YOU, FANDOM. If Fandom Wank was still around I'd anon-report the situation of a deleted blog and a super ex-military hacker tracking IPs.

This is as good as anything Harry Potter or Supernatural fandom have come up with.

• Love 3

I'm reading some stuff and I am shocked, I tell ya, shocked!  Harry Potter had fandom wars?  Color me shocked and filled with WTF moments this morning.  It's freakin' Harry Potter!  This is just plain weird.

No, I read the books, I enjoyed the movies and loved some of the characters, but it wasn't enough for me to get into the whole fandom.  I guess you can have a "war" over everything and anything.  I find fandom scary to be honest and Once is the only show I actually post anything about.

• Love 1

You didn't know about the HP fandom wars? That was one of the first megafandoms, and they were epic. The shipwars, Marauders vs Snape wars, etc. 

Ah yes, I remember Fandom Wank and HP wars. Lord of the Rings generated some popcorn-worthy wank too..

To bring this back on topic, I honestly think it wasn't as bad as SQ vs everyone else. 

I have nothing to add to the craziness of the fandom except it scare me!

I' m happy to not have the time or energy to be more involved in it.

But, when by curiosity went to the JMO tag there was a blogger who confirmed that the reporter who asked Jen at Comic con was the one that people here thought (starrymag) . That reaffirmed for me the agenda behing the question and the fact that this person choose Intentionally to put Jen in a awkard situation.

I have also seen posts of SQ bragging about the fact they can check account and prove that account is false or what the owner like.

So, at this stage nothing surprise me anymore. And I do believe that a fringe of people ar

I have also saw post of SQ bragging about the fact they can check account and prove that account is false or what the owner like.

So, at this stage nothing surprise me anymore. And I do believe that a fringe of people is actively looking for trouble, so I guess if the trouble do not come they always can provocateur it. e actively looking for trouble so I guess if the trouble do not come they always can provocate something.

I'm a outsider do not use twitter or have a actif blog but I hope people be careful .

• Love 3

So there was a confirmation that the StarryMag person was the one who asked Jen? I mean, I read about how she wanted to do it, but then SQers were claiming that she didn't end up doing it? But that question was definitely asked by someone in the fandom, no actualy entertainment journalist would phrase it like that.

There are possible sabotage and a mysterious dude named "Ethan" is mentioned somehow possibly maybe involved?

IDK. I just started re-watching "Lost" this weekend (and we all know how that series is tied to this series). "Ethan" seriously? Is his last name Rom? Or perhaps, Goodspeed? Quick, somebody have Hurley check the flight manifest and hide the babies!

• Love 3

So there was a confirmation that the StarryMag person was the one who asked Jen? I mean, I read about how she wanted to do it, but then SQers were claiming that she didn't end up doing it?

Well, I do not if what this blog is their I'm not a follower of her, but after the Jen question by curiosity I went to her tag and saw that.

bnaz ( the blogger answered the following question)

{he reporter who asked the question was the one who made it all about Regina vs Hook though and even Jen said it was not about that. You should be mad at them for asking the same question that was already asked at the panel, and yeah the StarryMag people were the ones who asked that question.}

Bnaz answered the following

{Why would I be mad at a reporter for doing their job, exactly?

Lisa (StarryMag) is a friend of mine and she is one of the most beautiful and incredibly lovely people I have ever met. }

I kept it because when I comes here people always talk about prove. So,for me it is a prove that Jen was ambushed by people who wanted her to feel obligated to adhere to their narrative or negate it.

There was not way for her to win in the situation.

I don't think Jen cared because she did say "I know people are going to be mad at me for this." She's not backing down on that Emma saved everyone not just one person. It's one of the only times the actors and crew aren't giving the crazies what they want.

• Love 2
(edited)

An SQ fan wrote a blog post on themarysue about the hacking drama, and SQers are currently spamming Adam, the actors & Jane Espenson to let them know allllll about this "widespread" hacking of SQ accounts by CSers.

Sigh.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1

An SQ fan wrote a blog post on themarysue about the hacking drama, and SQers are currently spamming Adam, the actors & Jane Espenson to let them know allllll about this "widespread" hacking of SQ accounts by CSers.

Sigh.

Their victim complexes rival Regina's.

• Love 2

Is themarysue (what an appropriate name for an article written by Regina fans!) another of those sites that accept submissions? Like anyone can write? They seem obsessed with those kinds of sites, they try to get on there all the time.

The people on the receiving end need to ignore it IMO. Take a page from ONTD and answer "Cool story bro" each time someone tries to engage you in this drama.

Adam and Eddy are not going to change the story, CSers' lives aren't going to be affected because some people write articles about how they're meanies on the Internet, and the only way they can be negatively impacted is if they start a bitchfest with some SQers with a victim complex.

The people on the receiving end are free to ignore and block them on Twitter. If they choose not to that is on them. Actors have publicists and producers have assistants who can handle annoying people. If actors are personally responding it is because they want to engage. No one needs to feel bad for them.

The people on the receiving end are free to ignore and block them on Twitter. If they choose not to that is on them. Actors have publicists and producers have assistants who can handle annoying people. If actors are personally responding it is because they want to engage. No one needs to feel bad for them.

No actor is engaging. I was talking about fellow fans. But even if it were actors, I would feel bad for them anyway. Jennifer tried to ignore for a long time, and what did she get? Articles written about how she's homophobic. That can ruin careers/friendships. 

• Love 2
(edited)

A bit of a twist on the whole hacking drama.

Since posting that, the girl got so much hate from SQers, she now says she's deleting her tumblr. If what she says is true, it sounds to me like it was some sort of plan that this Ethan cooked up to use/blame CS fans, and there wasn't actually any hacking at all.

Either way, it's stupid fandom drama.

Edited by Souris

I'm ready for something crazy to happen tomorrow so the fandom can get distracted. Can Regina and Charming kiss during filming tomorrow? So at least they can have something different and more entertaining to wank about.

• Love 3

I did follow her tumblr so that kind of sucks. And is it wrong that I've been thinking this is what really happened all along? It seems fishy that someone hacked his site. "I was hacked" is the default response when you're acting like a douche canoe online. So really, did someone go through the hassle of getting his password and deleting it or he did it? And how can you hack a Twitter and now he's using that account again? OK. Sounds like there's some sock puppetry going on.

• Love 2
(edited)

I find all this new fandom drama kind of ridiculous, with all this talk about hackers and tracking IPs. It's just a TV show, not the CIA. And it really makes me cringe. They are embarrassing themselves and embarrassing the whole fandom in the process.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 2

Yeah. I mean it's so clear that they are doing it for attention/to fuel their victim complex that I side eye the people engaging with them about it and going "OMG I'm so sorry!!". Like... they had an organized reaction ready to collect "receipts", to make posts on websites like the MarySue, to spam Adam and the cast about it, to start spamming the other ships' tags on Tumblr... they are hella organized, way too much for this to be a concidence. Clearly what they want is to bother other shippers (and those shippers, being dumb, are falling for it) and "we are so oppressed" is the narrative they have been seeling since season 1. This is just the next step. And they're being smarter than other shippers because every one who apologizes for something they didn't do is just playing into it. If you just block and ignore, this would end.

But, this whole thing reminded me to set up authentication on Tumblr! So do it if you haven't already ;)

• Love 3

This whole situation is messed up and ridiculous and everyone needs to take a chill pill and go back to their corners.  I feel like I'm losing my innocence over here. I'm finding out about Harry Potter fan wars and now about people with elaborate plans and schemes to fuck other people over...and oh the humanity!  Seriously...the internet is a social experiment gone completely wrong and there's really nothing to be proud of.

• Love 2
(edited)

Is anyone else curious about what's going to happen when the show ends and there's no more fuel for fresh drama? All this is going to look so absurd in hindsight, and I say that as someone who was in the Merlin fandom, which was also filled with insane ship-wars (though not quite to this extent). 

Now three years on that fandom is practically dead, the cast have all gone their separate ways, and no one seems to care any more. Looking back, it's difficult to really understand why people got so crazily invested in the first place. The same thing will happen here, I guarantee it. 

Edited by Ravenya003
  • Love 2

I think you're right. I'm trying to think of a fandom that continued to be active and wanky after there was no more new material, but nothing is coming to mind. Maybe Harry Potter? I'm sorry to keep stomping on YaddaYadda's innocence! But there was a flareup of drama a few years ago when JKR said that thing about how Ron and Hermione would be divorced. 

Oh my gosh, I have fallen into a DRAMAZ black hole. There's a whole tumblr called sqreceipts that documents all the trolls who have said bad things about SQ. I'm sure someone could create the same thing with a csreceipts or oq receipts. And then there are people defending the trolls on there! I can't even. So did we find out if Fandom Wank is still in operation? :)

(edited)

Isn't the Buffy fandom still kind of wanky? Not to the same extent, but they have comics to stir up stuff, don't they?

Sharky, there's a Twitter account that posts some "receipts" of SQ saying rude things about the actors, writers, other fans, etc.

Edited by Souris

But there was a flareup of drama a few years ago when JKR said that thing about how Ron and Hermione would be divorced. 

Isn't the Buffy fandom still kind of wanky? Not to the same extent, but they have comics to stir up stuff, don't they?

Ah, but that technically counts as new material. With Merlin (and other shows that have come to a definite end), there was simply nothing left to wank over. The last DVDs and their commentaries were released, the awards were handed out, the actors moved on to other projects, and neither cast nor crew have anything left to say about the project. It's all over. 

I also think that stuff like Harry Potter and Buffy the Vampire Slayer were massively huge - as in, they had a cultural impact that changed the way books/television shows were made and marketed. Once Upon a Time? No way it's going to have the long-term influence. 

Make a deal with yourself: to come back and read these boards a year after the show goes off the air. It'll be hilarious. 

• Love 1

I'd say Twilight or shall I say the Rob and Kristen fans are still active. They say the most racist homophobic things about Rob and Kristen's current SOs. I'm not sure Kristen's even come out and said that girl she hangs out with is her SO.

I think I may have stumbled across a crazier ship war, where both ships being battled over as though the fate of the world depends on the outcome are non-canon: Supernatural. A Facebook friend commented on a link Orlando Jones shared (which is how I saw it) of an academic-style (don't know if it was peer reviewed, ended up in any kind of publication, or what, but it looked like that kind of research) paper about Supernatural fandom, in which the two main ships are "Wincest" (the two brothers involved in a sexual relationship with each other) and "Destiel" (Dean and the angel Castiel in a relationship). Orlando Jones is apparently a "superfan" of the show and at least plays a Destiel shipper on the Internet, and this apparently has made the Wincest faction very angry because they think that him being a celebrity might give his opinion more weight, and he might be able to influence the way it happens on the show. He's taken some pretty nasty abuse over this. The article was an examination of the way fandoms react to celebrities in their midst.

Not that either relationship is going to happen. At least the Once shipper war involves one canon relationship, and neither relationship in the battle involves blood relatives. Which is worse, a battle over two relationships that are not happening and will likely never happen, or a battle in which the outcome has already been determined on the show?

• Love 2

Oh man I remember when he was rooting for Abbie/Ichabod during that E Poll and he was also rooting for CS people were mad that he'd use his celeb status to help the couples. So much hilarity. lol

• Love 2

Well, we all need an excuse to drink sometime. Why are you limiting yourself to only Once excuses? ;-)

So after pulling myself out of the dark fandom hole, I still have no idea what the hell is going on. Looks like some SQ fans are posting screen shots of their Twitterstrying to get broken into, but those can be easily faked/created so whatever.

Meanwhile, I'm either off to bed or off to find Fandom Wank. I can't decide.

Meanwhile, I'm either off to bed or off to find Fandom Wank. I can't decide.

It's so hard to decide.  It's a trainwreck and it's absolutely ridiculous and I can't look away.  

• Love 1

Is anyone else curious about what's going to happen when the show ends and there's no more fuel for fresh drama? All this is going to look so absurd in hindsight, and I say that as someone who was in the Merlin fandom, which was also filled with insane ship-wars (though not quite to this extent). 

Now three years on that fandom is practically dead, the cast have all gone their separate ways, and no one seems to care any more. Looking back, it's difficult to really understand why people got so crazily invested in the first place. The same thing will happen here, I guarantee it. 

Most people will drift away and forget. There will be a small handful who will DIE ON THE HILL OF ONCE. I mean, some people meet friends, etc., at cons. It becomes more than just online jabber in that case.

I think I may have stumbled across a crazier ship war, where both ships being battled over as though the fate of the world depends on the outcome are non-canon: Supernatural.

I don't even blink at anything the Supernatural fandom does anymore. And forget the Wincest and Destiel, the CRAZIEST faction of that show is the Jared/Jensen shippers. (Wincest was huge early on but took a hit when Castiel was introduced on that show. It was a way for the slash shippers to ship a couple without the icky incest factor.)

Harry Potter fandom was insane because of the SHEER VARIETY of wank. A lot of it was shipping, but for example there were people who threw a fit when they found out Blaise Zabini was black!

In comparison, Once fandom is actually pretty tame. I mean, the sqreceipts tumblr with people writing stuff like "sq shippers should all die" mostly makes me roll my eyes. But an ex-military superhacker tracking people's IP addresses? Now that, my friends. That is fandom.

• Love 1
(edited)

I went onto tumblr to lurk through the cs tag and just did a giant u-turn. 95% of it were the Cs's apologizing up and down. And honestly, I don't think they should have to. Those users had nothing to do with it (it was a bad apple that may or may not have been a Cser or an SQer, etc) and shouldn't have to apologize or suffer through it.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 3

Supernatural, yes, the dramas, and dramas about dramas. What a fandom.

And OUaT. Just read something about terrorism in a headline on Tumblr. Pardon me? Some people should look up the meaning and context of words they use. It's not just overdramatizing and sensationalizing, their use of words is ridiculing situations those words are right to use for. It starts to remind me a bit of gamergate. Oncergate.

That whole thing stinks like troll, not just smells, it stinks. And I mean troll, not bad apple, not hater, not some overly fanatical fans, but troll, someone who cares not the least bit about the fandom but has a feast stirring folks up. Well, bon appetit!

Just read something about terrorism in a headline on Tumblr. Pardon me? Some people should look up the meaning and context of words they use. It's not just overdramatizing and sensationalizing, their use of words is ridiculing situations those words are right to use for.

That, and the term "rape culture" should forever be banned from the Once fandom.

• Love 4

I've read, I swear this is real, that CSers who are like "I didn't do anything and I won't get involved" are like people who reply #AllLivesMatter to #BlackLivesMatter. Just to highlight the level of self victimization going on there, they compared themselves to defenseless teenagers getting shot.

The CSers apologizing are so dumb and gullible, playing into their hands. I can't believe they can't see this is being done on purpose because of the bad PR SQ was getting this summer (Lana, Jen and Sean talking about the grief they get from them - none of them said SQers, but they implied it), so now they have someone else to point to as "the bad ship". Since clearly they couldn't *make* CSers or OQers or whatever tweet the cast with insults all the time, they do the best next thing. Like, this is literally the perfect plan and I'm actually impressed, but seriously? Falling for it so throughly is super dumb.

• Love 4