Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

I want to be a little more optimistic for a second beore some new drama comes along and enjoy the fact that ABC include CS in their promo and I took as a indicatin that CS will have a good amount of screen time and focus in the Dark Emma arc and snowing too.

• Love 5

Did you see the new Avengers movie?  They put a bullet in like 3 different ships.  Personally, I ship me and Loki, like I ship me and Hook.  Screw Emma!  We can call DaHook.  I mean that would be pretty awesome.

Loki, yes! Tom Hiddleston and Colin are my two main life ruiners. What is DaHook?

I asked someone at work who is on tumblr, but is not a Once fan, if they had seen anything about the kurfluffle. Thankfully they haven't.

I've never thought of "crack" in fandom terms as having a negative connotation. It's usually used to say something is highly addictive and causing you to perhaps go overboard in your glee and enjoyment. When you say "it's like crack" it generally means you can't get enough of it. A "crackship" is "maybe it's a little crazy and it's never going to happen onscreen, but who cares because it's so much fun." Taking that term as an insult might suggest that someone is taking things a wee bit too seriously, perhaps because some of these people actually really do think it's going to happen onscreen.

• Love 2

That's . . . awful.  What on earth would make them think that's a good, or tasteful, or reasonable idea?    "Hello, Person-I'm-Just-Meeting.  Please sign this picture I made of your head on top of these two scantily clad women making out so that I can add it to my wall collage!"

How does a person handle that level of entitlement? 

(And I'm sorry that you had a bad experience and people were rude to you.  That had to make the experience less fun.)

What killed us was someone giving another person crap for getting a Robin/Regina kissing promo shot signed - but they had a manip where they had put Emma in place of Robin. When did it become inappropriate to get a real scene signed, but a manip of that is okay? I don't get the logic. (I guess there isn't any!)

Thanks for all your lovely comments :) 

I must admit I never heard Crackship until recently (I feel old lol!) but I really thought it was just....ships you wanted but was obvious it wasn't gonna happen on screen. 

• Love 6
Ha, AfterEllen did their own couples March Madness poll this year and wouldn't put SQ on it because they "aren't a couple." SQers lobbied them to get on it, but they refused.

So someone actually refused the SQ bullying? Wonderous! I thought that poll happened right before the end of the hiatus last year so glad to know I missed that drama. I guess I was too busy with that stupid E! top couples poll to notice.

Yadda -- I haven't seen the Avengers movie but I know some of the spoilers. My husband saw it and even he was weirded out by the Natasha storyline. I do love my husband dearly and personally think he's the hottest man I know, but I also have a long list of unattainable "TV" boyfriends, including Tom, Colin, Chris Evans and Nathan Fillion. I have a thing for captains, I guess.

As for those photos, that's just all kinds of awkward. Seriously, who thinks an actor wants to sign a raunchy photo manip you did? Hell, I would be embarrassed to have Jen or Colin sign a picture of their Neverland kiss while I stood there with it and that's actual canon.

• Love 4

As for those photos, that's just all kinds of awkward. Seriously, who thinks an actor wants to sign a raunchy photo manip you did? Hell, I would be embarrassed to have Jen or Colin sign a picture of their Neverland kiss while I stood there with it and that's actual canon.

I completely understand you!

So someone actually refused the SQ bullying? Wonderous! I thought that poll happened right before the end of the hiatus last year so glad to know I missed that drama. I guess I was too busy with that stupid E! top couples poll to notice.

Yadda -- I haven't seen the Avengers movie but I know some of the spoilers. My husband saw it and even he was weirded out by the Natasha storyline. I do love my husband dearly and personally think he's the hottest man I know, but I also have a long list of unattainable "TV" boyfriends, including Tom, Colin, Chris Evans and Nathan Fillion. I have a thing for captains, I guess.

I bought an autographed picture of the two of them and had to sift through a lot to not get one kissing. I think that would be weird on my wall. I ended up with a still of Hook looking down at Emma right after he gave her Bae's sword on the Jolly. So it has my three favorite once characters, Hook, Emma and the Jolly. lol
  • Love 6

So it's ok for them to call Hook and Robin beards and other offensive stuff but you can't call their deluded ship crackship or fanon? Got it. Next time ill make sure to remember that.

I saw that ABC promo where they used CS "I love you", (Which I no longer think is anti climatic anymore after watching it for the 100th time.) It was during the Indy 500. Sucks for the bullies I guess.

Honestly I'm more worried at how bored I'm going to be next season during any Rumbelle scenes at this point. I get the feeling Regina will be to busy for her new BFF.

• Love 2
(edited)

Eh, it's easy with Rumbelle and OQ for me, I just fast forward through them and that's it. It's when Regina's inserted into major storylines when it's impossible (Robin never matters, so thank God for small favors). I guess it won't work if you watch live though.

I have to say, I've seen a lot of crazy fandoms, but Once really is something. I could never imagine the sheer scope of bullying towards the actors (actors! Holy shit, they don't even decide anything!) I'm seriously afraid that when the show is over, after the inevitable blow-out when Emma and Regina don't end up together, these fans would move on and start ruining another show with their hate.

Edited by FurryFury
(edited)

While searching for that on tumblr, I came across some tweets a from Adam a few days ago about this sort of. In response to hearing that there are fans who call him racist and homophobic, he essentially said, "People say that? Really? Wow, crazy." (Not exact, I'm on mobile.) I'm glad he's not on tumblr or likely aware of the kerfuffle this weekend, but it would be nice if he was. I wish he would stand up and defend his actors and characters more in this situation but I also don't know how much he can do with a fanon that won't listen anyway.

Edit: Trying to add more on mobile. Sorry. Anyway, someone linked to a tweet from a SQ fan that said, "Can ABC fire Adam and Eddy and hire new show runners who aren't racist, homophobic misogynists?" To which he replied "Wow. I have to respectfully disagree with that person's opinion of me." Yea, there are bad apples everywhere and yea, we all have our opinions of the show, but things like this don't help the SQ cause when people in that fandom repeatedly throw around the homophobia tag like it's no big deal.

Edited by sharky
  • Love 1

And homophobic as well. Because yea, in finding tweets about JMo watching Orange to get pointers on her love scenes with Regina, I may have come across a tumblr post from someone who said we're using "bad apples" as a homophobic term and I may have told them that's not the case and they need to shut up now. So yea.... I'm going to set my ask box so it won't allow anonymous asks and then I'm going to walk away from the Internet for several hours.

So, if watching OITNB make you a lesbian, watching Breaking Bad makes a drug dealer? Liking The Fall mean you are a serial killer? And what exactly says about you if you are a fan of The Walking Dead? God, that people is so stupid!! Poor Jennifer. I really hope she deletes her Twitter account. For her sanity.

I was trying to understand the responses. Are they in gibberish or real Spanish? I'm so confused.

That's not Spanish but Portuguese.

That's not Spanish but Portuguese.

Ha! I saw the G in that word and for some reason my first reaction was to read it as, "That's not Spanish but Gibberish." Not correct but still kind of right, isn't it? ;)

• Love 1

Well I guess Jen decided to appease her fans with that shou out to OTNB but I knows she also tweet about her love for Outlander some time ago and some of this particular fandom was not happy about her choice. So It it just silly game they play. Just like they hate it, when she told the joke about kissed handsome man in her contract. The real issue for me is the question about the upcoming panel . Last year a OQ panel happened and I honestly believe than a normal situation will have CS panel this year, so if there none. I will consider that a win for the bully.

• Love 2
(edited)
Ha! I saw the G in that word and for some reason my first reaction was to read it as, "That's not Spanish but Gibberish." Not correct but still kind of right, isn't it? ;)

I guess Spanish and Portuguese are like Russian and Ukranian. I'm Russian and Ukranian for me looks incredibly weird, like a messed-up version of Russian (although it's still possible to understand like half of it). Also, I'm learning Spanish (I'm at elementary level I guess, I know most tenses but not subjunctive mood yet) and Portuguese for me is always like "Hmm I wonder what this phrase means... Ahh, unfamiliar stresses/"c" with a "tail" (no idea how it's called correctly), must be Portuguese, moving on".

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1
(edited)

I know I shouldn't care about silly things like fandom politics, but the recent drama has piqued my curiosity.

So, why is it that the biggest drama and fighting always seems to happen between CS and SQ? Wouldn't it be more logical (Okay, logical isn't the right word. No fighting would be logical.) for SQ to have more of a beef with OQ? I only say this because it seems to me that Evil Regals make up the majority of both SQ and OQ, so you'd think that would start a civil war of sorts amongst the Regina/Lana fans. But with CS, just by lurking and reading blog posts, it appears that most of those fans are Emma fans. I'm just trying to understand why it seems like CS is Enemy #1 in SQ's eyes while they only treat OQ like an annoying phase that will soon pass. (Again, I try to not get super involved in that crazy stuff, so maybe there's more SQ/OQ controversy than I think there is.)

Edited by Curio

I'm Spanish, and yeah, Portuguese is weird. I can read it (well, more or less) but I can't understand a thing when I listen to someone speaking it. 

Well I guess Jen decided to appease her fans with that shou out to OTNB but I knows she also tweet about her love for Outlander some time ago and some of this particular fandom was not happy about her choice.

Jen is constantly tweeting about the shows or films she watches and the books she reads. And, who knows, maybe she has chosen to talk about OITNB now because of the last fandom drama, but at this point she should know better than to try to appease them with things like this. It only makes things worse for her. That's why I thinkk it would be better for her to just delete her Twitter.

Maybe it's because CS is an actually developed relationship that is more solid as time goes on where the writers really taking care of doing it right (or as right as they can) whereas OQ is just there?  Or maybe OQ is already ordained because of the whole fairy dust thing while CS have yet to get that which maybe SQ fans see as if it hadn't happened yet then there's still hope?

I don't know what the rationale is behind it, but they need to leave the actors alone.  

• Love 3

Yeah, I wanna say it's a mix of: CS being better developed (literally no one could be jealous of the OQ development), them being more fans of Lana/Regina so they see Jen/Emma choosing Hook over her as a "betrayal", CS developing slowly so they have time for their scorn to "build" while for OQ was just bam!, canon, and they hadn't met each other yet.

• Love 4

It's a bit cyclical. For awhile there, SQ was going after OQ the most. Now it's back to them targeting CS more. I do think overall it's more between CS/SQ though.

them being more fans of Lana/Regina so they see Jen/Emma choosing Hook over her as a "betrayal"

I think that has a lot to do with it. Emma is seen as a "prize" for Regina that Regina deserves rather than a truly equal partner in the fantasy relationship. Therefore, Emma is betraying Regina by choosing Hook, while Regina is merely straying from the path with Robin, possibly as a reaction to Emma's betrayal, and since Regina can do no wrong, that's all Robin's fault, anyway. That would explain why Jen/Emma are so demonized by the faction, in spite of being part of the couple that they're cheering for.

• Love 6

Delurking to respond with a speculative theory. I've seen in many places that some SQ fans believe that JMO is a closeted lesbian - I have no idea if she is or not and do not need to know about her private life.  Lana is married and I don't see that folks specualate as much that she is gay.  When JMO denies or doesn't fight to have SQ happen, fans of SQ believe she is denying a group that she is part of and they consider it a betrayal.  I think this is why she gets the brunt of the hate as opposed to LP.  Again, I have no idea, nor do I want to know, JMO's sexual orientation. She is an actress doing a job but for some fans, if you believe the actor/actress is part of a minority then they have the moral impreative to further the minority's causes or be attacked.

• Love 1

It seems to me most fanon (and canon) slash ships have such fans. I think it's disgusting, personally. Even if JMo were gay (and there doesn't seem to be that much evidence to it), it's her business if she's closeted, doesn't matter if she's single or married.

(edited)

Yes. How is her dating life their business?

And even if by some odd chance they were right about her sexuality, what on earth does that have to do with supporting a Swan Queen relationship? It's not like there's an automatic brain download that gives all lesbians the same opinions about all relationships between television characters.

Not speaking from personal experience here, but it seems to me like it would be possible to both be a lesbian and not think Emma and Regina would make a good couple. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Edited by Mari
  • Love 6

Well I' m not into gossip but I rapidly understand that there are gossip about being gay on almost any Hollywood star.

So I do not believe it anymore and from I know Jen had serious relation with man, I chose to believe what she said about herself not some bs from people on interne with a clear agenda.

She seems genuine and a nice person .

I think they are Regina focus people, so Regina should be the focus of the main character Emma even more than her family.

Tha the reasons they even like the infamous 4x5 episode.

(edited)

Even if Jen was in the closet, outing someone without their permission can be one of the worst things you can do to them. It could put them in actual danger, not to mention cause them emotional grief. Those sorts of SQers don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to LGBT+ rights, not when they make tweets like this. Many of them may be gay themselves, but that only makes this behaviour all the more distasteful.

Not speaking from personal experience here, but it seems to me like it would be possible to both be a lesbian and not think Emma and Regina would make a good couple. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Well, I'm female and bi, and I'd fist fight the entire OUAT writing staff to keep SQ from happening if I had to.

Edited by october
  • Love 12

Even if Jen was in the closet, outing someone without their permission can be one of the worst things you can do to them. It could put them in actual danger, not to mention cause them emotional grief. Those sorts of SQers don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to LGBT+ rights, not when they make tweets like this. Many of them may be gay themselves, but that only makes this behaviour all the more distasteful.

Yes, because if you aren't in a relationship with a man for all the world to see, you must be closeted. /sarcasm

• Love 1
(edited)

someone linked to a tweet from a SQ fan that said, "Can ABC fire Adam and Eddy and hire new show runners who aren't racist, homophobic misogynists?"

That SQ fan knows NOTHING about systemic oppression, then, because while activism has become more about the principle of a thing rather than the measure of it (hence the call to fire somebody for heteronormative writing in a fictional work) ... the bedrock of that paradigm is that WE ARE ALL conditioned to be racist, homophobic, misogynistic, xenophobic, disablist classists. The question isn't whether that bias is there, in ALL of us (ALL OF US) it's whether we leave that unexamined within OURSELVES and how we can change the world by trading on the privileges that we cannot get rid of as allies to the underprivileged.

To take this philosophy and turn it into some holier-than-thou prop-up for a shipping war... #FirstWorldProblems

october, on 28 May 2015 - 04:30 AM, said:

Even if Jen was in the closet, outing someone without their permission can be one of the worst things you can do to them. It could put them in actual danger, not to mention cause them emotional grief. Those sorts of SQers don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to LGBT+ rights

I concur so much with this. What are SQers and RPFers by SQ-proxy thinking?? Are they even thinking???

Edited by Faemonic

Those sorts of SQers don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to LGBT+ rights, not when they make tweets like this. Many of them may be gay themselves, but that only makes this behaviour all the more distasteful.

Holy fucking shit. Please tell me that Jen has a vast majority of these people blocked by now. WTF?? When the hell did personal boundaries stop being a thing for these people?

• Love 1

It's Brazilian slang for "lesbian."  Literally, it's Portuguese for "big shoe," but the usage here means that the poster was flat-out asking Jen if she's a lesbian -- or, in more common parlance, a "dyke."

(edited)

Does JMo speak Portuguese fluently enough to understand the colloquialisms? Because otherwise that is not an interaction, despite the invasive and presumptuous tweets at her being on a social interaction platform. Both the manner and matter of those messages are awfully rude.

Edited by Faemonic
(edited)

I do notice that a lot of times people will reply to Jen's tweets in their native language, and I wonder what's the point? Unless you're aware she speaks it - and I don't think Jennifer speaks any foreign languages - why would you tweet her in Spanish/Portoguese/French/etc?

Edited by Serena
  • Love 1

Does JMo speak Portuguese fluently enough to understand the colloquialisms? Because otherwise that is not an interaction, despite the invasive and presumptuous tweets at her being on a social interaction platform. Both the manner and matter of those messages are awfully rude.

I don't speak Portuguese, but I immediately thought it was a lesbian reference because of the similarity to the root of "sapphic." It sounds like the word origin is actually unrelated, but that's what I thought.

• Love 1
Unless you're aware she speaks it - and I don't think Jennifer speaks any foreign languages - why would you tweet her in Spanish/Portoguese/French/etc?

Because most of this has very little to do with her as an actual person and everything to do with the tweeter in question. With most of the tweets I've seen to her, it looks more like a group of people loudly having a conversation about her right in front of her while drawing attention to themselves rather than like anyone really actually talking directly to her. They're more or less taking verbal selfies with her in the background.

• Love 8
(edited)

From the writers thread:

I usually like Katrina, but WTF? Why is she spreading those kinds of rumors? Does she miss the attention she gets during filming? JMO confirmed they're going to CC like a month ago.

And ABC hasn't even announced their line-up for Comic Con yet so no one needs to worry. If you read all her tweets, she doubled down on her "Well, my sources say...." and then got pissy when people started calling her out when Adam essentially said it wasn't true. This is a hard one because as a spoiler fan, I love the stuff we get from these people that are always hanging out at filming locations, but sometimes they can get a bit up their own asses.

Interesting to see Julie Plec from TVD go off on the bad apples in her fandom. And even after she went and said what she did on Twitter, "fans" still went after her and some even complained about "why are you talking about us and not that ship" when she was clearly telling everyone to chill out. I think there would be a similar flare up if Adam ever said anything like that. Oh well. I'm sure that needed to be said in their fandom and it needs to be said about ours as well.

Edited by sharky

That katmtan person is ridiculous. She is just another one of these self-styled internet "personalities" who has built a following based on nothing. She posts a lot of messages saying "I heard/saw some juicy spoilers but I can't tell you what." or "I took some cool BTS pictures but I'm not posting them."

But she teases it when she takes the pictures during episode filming. That is an asshole move to post that she has pictures that she won't post for another month or two. Or she heard or saw something that she can't reveal until the episode airs. Either put up or shut up but don't be an asshole about it.

• Love 1

There's an article being shared among my writer friends that made me think of this thread. It's about the abuse popular authors get from their own fans. There are authors of popular young adult fantasy series who are having to close their Twitter accounts and stay away from Tumblr, sometimes even get security for booksignings, because of hate from fans. These are actually people who are (supposedly) fans of their books, not fans of "rival" series, but they spew really nasty hate and threats to the authors. A lot of it seems to come from crackship shippers who get outraged when the author doesn't write their preferred relationship into the books. Or there are people who are furious about what happens to their favorite characters or because the story doesn't go the way they want it. One author was physically attacked at a booksigning (with a hardcover book) because the fan (who apparently loved the books enough to come to a booksigning and buy a hardcover) was unhappy with something in the story. One author distinguished between "readers" and "fandom." "Readers" just seem to enjoy it and don't cause much trouble, but once something becomes a "fandom," where a community is built around it, with various factions and interaction that goes well beyond the story itself, then that's where the drama starts.

I guess that applies here, where there are viewers who like the show and enjoy discussing it, and then there's fandom that spins out of that and sometimes goes a little nuts, going on the attack and spewing all kinds of bile directly at people involved in the show. I can see being unhappy with a development, but not attacking the person who created the thing you love. There's criticism, and then there are personal threats.

• Love 2