Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: It’s Not Personal

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Eileen, Roz and Sylvie travel to Meade to learn more about a suspect in Gloria’s case and connect with the local police chief, which proves to be more challenging than expected. When Austin learns about a political candidate’s murky financial ties, Stanley must decide if they can publish with the newspaper’s owner having endorsed the candidate.

Original airdate 10/20/22

When I saw this on my DVR, I was surprised at how much I was looking forward to following the next chapter in the murder investigation.

They have a nice mix of Hillary and Roz, the tension sisters, versus whatever the other characters are up to each week.  

This is my favorite of all the new Fall Shows.  Yay!

• Love 11

Should have known that last weeks previews were exaggerated and Roz wasn't declaring she would no longer with Eileen at that very moment, but just saying that if Eileen does go behind her back again, they will be done.  Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if this is still where this all heading because Eileen still seemed to brush it off at the end, and I can see her pulling another move like this in the future.  It's too bad: they have been a pretty effective team so far.

As I figured, it was Austin's turn to get the "story of the week", which was about good old local elections and a candidate's stance on salmon, which is probably not a thing for a lot of states, but I can definitely see that being a big issue for Alaska and other costal states.  Meanwhile on a personal level, it looks like there is a concern he might be separated from his son since his ex is planning on moving to Chicago and will possibly get custody over him since she has the bigger and better paid job out of the two.  Uh oh!

Looks like this Pritchard guy might not be the shiny bastion of truth and justice like he claimed he was last week and Stanley is going to start looking into that.  Be careful, Stanley!

Yuma seeing a therapist was a good ending for her conflict.  I do imagine it something a lot of journalists and reporters have to deal with: dealing with both their stories and how they can play out and internet trolls and hatred as well

• Love 5

I really don't like Hilary Swank's character, but I think it works because she's coming off the same way to the locals and you really feel why no one likes or trusts her lol. You need that fish out of water character, but I find it interesting they're making her relatively unlikable to the audience as well.

I love all of the other characters in the news room, but Roz and Yuna especially.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I hope people are still watching this show. It's really well-written, it's just much slower paced compared to most shows nowadays.

Eileen doesn't really bother me. She's still in the mentality of "the ends justify the means." Anything to get the story. She cares about her work, she's good at her work, she just doesn't like people. But I don't see her being an asshole to others for the hell of it (I've seen people relish being horrible just because they were so good at what they do). She's going to grow by the end of the season, even if it ends up being one step forward, two steps back.

Interested to see Gabriel in the spotlight next week, especially since he was totally absent this episode.

• Like 4
  • Love 10

But I think it's the point that no one likes Eileen in her "real" life.  We haven't seen anyone from NY trying to keep in touch.  Her colleagues don't like her and don't trust her.  That very nice pilot-poet she slept with was sad that she only called him up to use him when she needed a private plane--he's written her off now.

It makes sense that the viewers can't see anything likeable about her either.  Alaska will probably break her down to her soft chewy center and she'll be more palatable.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Initially I  watched this because Alaska, but I think it turns out to be a quite decent show.
And I like that the lead (and big film star) is not as likable (at least for now).
The supporting cast is really good, so yeah I am in for the rest of the season.

So, are this episode's Alaska scenes shot in Alaska? that was quite the scenenery.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Zaffy said:

So, are this episode's Alaska scenes shot in Alaska? that was quite the scenenery.

I would guess they're shot somewhere in Canada because I've recognized some Canadian actors, plus I doubt Alaska would give any tax breaks for filming.

Edited by Shorty186

Eileen can be a little bossy, but she’s still tolerable on most levels to me.  She has a definite style.  That’s for sure. But, her boss knows how to put her in her place.  She knows how to get the story.  I take no issue with her getting the report through Roz’s half brother.  There’s some family issue that Roz wanted to ignore him, but is that more important than getting the story?  Her issue was a personal problem. The story was her job. Fortunately, it worked out ok.  No doubt, Eileen is not going to change.  Lol

Man, the reporter that went from corporate law to journalism…..both stressful jobs.  I like her though.  I actually like all the regular cast members so far.  That’s a rarity for a network series.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 3
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, candall said:

Alaska will probably break her down to her soft chewy center and she'll be more palatable.

You really think she has one? Not sure anything will penetrate that titanium shell. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I started watching this with a lot of hesitation. I do not care for Swank as an actor. Long ago she was in our town for a production of THE MIRACLE WORKER. She was super nice to the locals, and there was a day she was in Walmart while on the cover of PEOPLE. A couple of shoppers recognized her and took the magazine up to be signed. She was cool with it all. She didn't fare very well in a live theatre performance. The show closed pretty quickly.

I find myself liking Eileen and Roz together and separately. I've known a lot of reporters in my life, and Eileen fits in that mold. She wants to get the story, and has her own methods, which may or may not line up with anyone else's.

The sheriff and taking the rifle out of the bag out of nowhere. Fat guy with a gun (Sorry, Chris Farley)!

This is MUCH better than BIG SKY, a show where the bad guys seem to be immortal geniuses and the detectives have to be Hot!Detectives!

It's on the Hulu list. 

• Like 4
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I take no issue with her getting the report through Roz’s half brother.  There’s some family issue that Roz wanted to ignore him, but is that more important than getting the story?  Her issue was a personal problem

Yeah, I didn't understand any of that at all.  Why was it wrong for Eileen to ask for the legally, publicly available information from him?  Roz wanted to obstruct the investigation, why?  Because he's her half brother and she's mad at her dad for leaving her mom?  How is that relevant to anything but her own personal family issues?

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4

Yes, Roz being all pissy and shutting down Eileen with "Off limits!" seemed unrealistic.  This hardcore reporter is going to pass on utilizing a potential secret weapon/inside man because of daddy issues?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, WAnglais1 said:

I started watching this with a lot of hesitation. I do not care for Swank as an actor. Long ago she was in our town for a production of THE MIRACLE WORKER. She was super nice to the locals, and there was a day she was in Walmart while on the cover of PEOPLE. A couple of shoppers recognized her and took the magazine up to be signed. She was cool with it all. She didn't fare very well in a live theatre performance. The show closed pretty quickly.

I find myself liking Eileen and Roz together and separately. I've known a lot of reporters in my life, and Eileen fits in that mold. She wants to get the story, and has her own methods, which may or may not line up with anyone else's.

The sheriff and taking the rifle out of the bag out of nowhere. Fat guy with a gun (Sorry, Chris Farley)!

This is MUCH better than BIG SKY, a show where the bad guys seem to be immortal geniuses and the detectives have to be Hot!Detectives!

It's on the Hulu list. 

My daughter met Swank in real life... said she's "wonderful" and authentic as a person. I do like her as an actor as she stirs something up in me...

Agree about Big Sky. I had to stop watching it as it became utterly ridiculous.

I'm enjoying Alaska Daily!

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 10/23/2022 at 2:13 PM, izabella said:

Yeah, I didn't understand any of that at all.  Why was it wrong for Eileen to ask for the legally, publicly available information from him?  Roz wanted to obstruct the investigation, why?  Because he's her half brother and she's mad at her dad for leaving her mom?  How is that relevant to anything but her own personal family issues?

Looking at her as merely a reporter (not a human being), I’d say the problem is with boundaries-she has none. You can’t actually have it both ways (not you, or your post, personally). She’s not going to succeed on this story/investigation or on future ones if she offends the society she’s trying to work in. The mother still won’t accept her, she’s only talking because Roz is working with her. Everything you pointed out is correct, just not acceptable to the social mores in this particular locale. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/23/2022 at 2:03 PM, WAnglais1 said:

I do not care for Swank as an actor.

4 hours ago, Bliss said:

I do like her as an actor

The only other thing I’ve seen her in was the boxing movie. I liked her performance there. She might end up with some bruises here, too!

1 hour ago, Daff said:

Looking at her as merely a reporter (not a human being), I’d say the problem is with boundaries-she has none. You can’t actually have it both ways (not you, or your post, personally). She’s not going to succeed on this story/investigation or on future ones if she offends the society she’s trying to work in. The mother still won’t accept her, she’s only talking because Roz is working with her. Everything you pointed out is correct, just not acceptable to the social mores in this particular locale. 

That's why Eileen and Roz are doing the story together. Eileen was right about asking the 1/2 brother and Roz was right about going to the Cultural Committee. They each have something the other needs and each are (hopefully) learning from each other.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

We don't know why Roz was so against involving her family. It seems like people are assuming it's just pettiness. But we don't know. He could be any kind of horrible and she could have her reasons. Eileen should have at least tried to find out, instead of treating her colleague as a person to be ignored and openly deceived.

• Love 2
On 10/23/2022 at 2:13 PM, izabella said:

I saw it two ways.  Roz was pissed because getting the information from her half-brother means the door is now open somewhat to the family members with whom she wants nothing to do.  After all, her half-brother did her a favor (even if she was not the person asking).  I also agree that Roz was being hypocritical in that shouldn't speechify about the importance of the story if she isn't willing to do what needs to be done to get it because of personal issues. 

On 10/24/2022 at 3:48 PM, Daff said:

Looking at her as merely a reporter (not a human being), I’d say the problem is with boundaries-she has none. You can’t actually have it both ways (not you, or your post, personally). She’s not going to succeed on this story/investigation or on future ones if she offends the society she’s trying to work in.

Yes.  It's one thing to be aggressive, it's another to not have a good sense of the people or situation you are investigating to the point where you alienate potential sources. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Is it unusual that Austin's ex is a rich lawyer in a nice house and he's the one paying child support? And it's high enough that he keeps being late with it?

It seems very unlikely that she'd be able to take their son away. That's usually very clearly spelled out in custody agreements. 

• Like 3

On 10/23/2022 at 2:33 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I take no issue with her getting the report through Roz’s half brother.  There’s some family issue that Roz wanted to ignore him, but is that more important than getting the story?  Her issue was a personal problem. The story was her job. Fortunately, it worked out ok.  

Well said and agree totally.  It seems like everyone who works at the paper keeps being put in a position where they say/do something or make decisions that indicate they still have some growing to do...seems very deliberately show-ish.

• Like 1