Type keyword(s) to search

Trace and Lydia: Can She Become a Citizen Now?

• Start Topic

I'm sick of their whining about this.  As said above, plenty of families of color have had to go through this and they haven't been sent back to a safe situation.  No one is going to kill the Romeikes because they are obnoxious Christians. 

Part of the issue here is the HSLDA.  They have definitely fueled this situation and I am sure led the parents to think that if they just kept challenging things that somehow magically the deportation would never happen.  When the HSLDA started, they used a lot of fearmongering tactics to get people to sign up for memberships and poor money into the organization.  They told people that the government could take your children away because you were homeschooling and that you needed them to supply you with legal help to keep that from happening.  Unfortunately for them, they did their job too well, lobbying state legislatures so that homeschooling was not only legal but often virtually unregulated.  So, memberships and donations fell off because the need for legal representation didn't exist anymore. 

Now they have to rely on various fearmongering tactics like misinterpreting education legislation to keep members on the string.  They also got a bit too full of themselves here and decided that since they were so successful ruining the education system in this country, they would try to influence other countries.  Needless to say, Germany is not going to suddenly drop their laws about homeschooling because someone from another country tries to nag or shame them into it.  I wonder how they would feel if people from another country tried changing US laws just because they disagreed with them.  Somehow I doubt that would go over well.  They also really barked up the wrong tree with trying this in Germany.  I worked with someone who grew up there and she told me that Germany is a very staunchly secular country.  So the whole Christian angle will not fly there.

• Like 9

According to Expedia, the cheapest one-way plane tickets from Knoxville to Munich (I chose a city at random) on October 4 are $1498.20 apiece. That's with checking two bags each. (I chose this option because the slightly cheaper one had only five seats left, and the cheapest option did not show airline or time details). So with two kids, seven adults, and maybe a baby in Lydia's lap, that's $13,483.80. Who's paying that? Will the HSLDA-whatever pony up for a lost cause? 

My aunt was stationed in Germany in the Air Force when she had her youngest. She came home when he was a month old, and she said the flight home was really unpleasant because he threw up on her at each takeoff and landing. Good luck, Lydia -- and whoever is in your vicinity. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 1

Does anyone know how long it will roughly take for Lydia to legally come back to the States? Are we talking months? Years? 

I just wonder how things will pan out for her and Trace. If she was pulling a Fundie 90-Day from jump, she may not be super attached to him. I don't wish doom and gloom on their relationship, but crazier things have happened. She may get back to Germany and like it, she may not want to be separated from her family, she may meet some hot Euro boy who doesn't make her slouch in pictures. It'll be interesting to see how this tests their marriage. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Does anyone know how long it will roughly take for Lydia to legally come back to the States? Are we talking months? Years? 

I just wonder how things will pan out for her and Trace. If she was pulling a Fundie 90-Day from jump, she may not be super attached to him. I don't wish doom and gloom on their relationship, but crazier things have happened. She may get back to Germany and like it, she may not want to be separated from her family, she may meet some hot Euro boy who doesn't make her slouch in pictures. It'll be interesting to see how this tests their marriage. 

It will take months at the least, and that is if she leaves voluntarily and doesn't wait to be forcibly deported.  If she leaves voluntarily, she can apply through the US consulate for a Spouse VISA which the INS says on its website will take 3-5 months to be granted.

If Lydia doesn't get her German passport and leave before ICE comes knocking, then she will have a much tougher time getting a Spouse VISA because she will have a record of having been in the US illegally.  She may well be rejected for a VISA and then have to appeal.  

Either way, once she applies for the VISA, she cannot re-enter the US until she gets it or she starts all over again.

• Useful 8
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Depends on the type of visa they file. Rest assured headship Trace won’t understand and will just nod when the lawyer recommends what to file. All of this also depends on what the current backlogs may be with the US govt/embassy. Full fledged spousal visa tends to take 11-24 months and can be more depending on backlogs, cases that get subject to higher scrutiny (ahem - like you overstayed once and were deported). There are other visas esp from the EU where the spouse gets to come here on a conditional type of visa and wait here for the whole marital visa process; even those waits can be long though - like 6-9 months. IDK if Lydia qualifies for those programs though - someone who has come into the country once and overstayed will just do it again if given the chance, so USCIS may just not given you that chance - esp since you can wait in safe Germany here, not war torn Syria.

I truly wonder what their lawyer is saying vs what Trace/Lydia are hearing vs what headship Trace is deciding - bc he has announced clearly that as the owner of the penis he makes FINAL decisions. Bc if these idiots know what’s good for them, they should be self deporting Lydia yesterday and calling USCIS to be like - mark it in her file, her flight leaves 10/1 at 3 pm. Bc it is so so much harder to come back to the US legally like thru a spousal visa (or frankly in any way that you could overstay like on a tourism visa) once it is recorded that you overstayed once + govt had to spend $ deporting you. Plus deportation triggers waiting periods - meaning you can’t be deported Monday and start the application process for a US visa on Wed. The waiting time varies based on the reasons for deportation but 1, 5, or 10 yrs is common; so then you either wait to apply or spend more $ on US lawyers to get a waiver on waiting time - and you’re not guaranteed to win on that.

Edited by cereality
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 14
10 hours ago, cereality said:

Depends on the type of visa they file. Rest assured headship Trace won’t understand and will just nod when the lawyer recommends what to file. All of this also depends on what the current backlogs may be with the US govt/embassy. Full fledged spousal visa tends to take 11-24 months and can be more depending on backlogs, cases that get subject to higher scrutiny (ahem - like you overstayed once and were deported). There are other visas esp from the EU where the spouse gets to come here on a conditional type of visa and wait here for the whole marital visa process; even those waits can be long though - like 6-9 months. IDK if Lydia qualifies for those programs though - someone who has come into the country once and overstayed will just do it again if given the chance, so USCIS may just not given you that chance - esp since you can wait in safe Germany here, not war torn Syria.

I truly wonder what their lawyer is saying vs what Trace/Lydia are hearing vs what headship Trace is deciding - bc he has announced clearly that as the owner of the penis he makes FINAL decisions. Bc if these idiots know what’s good for them, they should be self deporting Lydia yesterday and calling USCIS to be like - mark it in her file, her flight leaves 10/1 at 3 pm. Bc it is so so much harder to come back to the US legally like thru a spousal visa (or frankly in any way that you could overstay like on a tourism visa) once it is recorded that you overstayed once + govt had to spend $ deporting you. Plus deportation triggers waiting periods - meaning you can’t be deported Monday and start the application process for a US visa on Wed. The waiting time varies based on the reasons for deportation but 1, 5, or 10 yrs is common; so then you either wait to apply or spend more $ on US lawyers to get a waiver on waiting time - and you’re not guaranteed to win on that.

Thanks for the info.  These two idiots probably think that this is some sort of action/adventure story like on TV or in the movies and it will be so much more dramatic if they stay put and wait for ICE to come knocking.  Their goal is probably more for the Jesus-y glory of claiming persecution and getting lots of attention from their fundie pals for their steadfastness.  They undoubtedly expect someone to swoop in like Indiana Jones at midnight to save Lydia from the terrible fate of returning to a developed nation where she speaks the language and where the social safety net isn't nearly as frayed and torn as it is here.  Oh, the humanity!

The fact that their actions, or lack thereof, are clearly in defiance of US law and that the entire family has literally been given decades to get this ironed out; is beyond their comprehension, IMO.

• Like 10
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

The fact that their actions, or lack thereof, are clearly in defiance of US law and that the entire family has literally been given decades to get this ironed out; is beyond their comprehension, IMO.

In this case, beyond their comprehension might be the absolute truth. I know almost nothing about Hannelore Romeike, but we know Kelly Bates is a dingbat and hypocrite with no common sense, and she homeschooled Ferret. He really might not be able to understand what he is being told. I would bet that is nearly the case for Lydia, too. 

I Googled to see if I could find out anything about Hannelore and Uwe's own education. I found a 2010 New York Times article about their asylum ruling, which of course was later overturned. The Romeikes are idiots who have also been used by the HSLDA. From the article: 

they set out to find an alternative to the local public school in Germany, where their two oldest children — now 11 and 12 — were having trouble with rowdy classmates. The nearby private and religious schools, Mr. Romeike said, were just as bad or even worse.

Long before the Romeikes had begun their fight, lawyers at the association had been discussing the situation in Germany. They had tried litigating cases one by one, usually unsuccessfully.

In 2006, after the European Court of Human Rights declined to hear a petition by home-schooling parents that had failed in German courts, lawyers at the association decided to add a political line of attack to the legal one, both to raise awareness of the German policies and to find some broader solution to the issue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/01/us/01homeschool.html

Another telltale quote from the article: 

“We’re all surprised because we consider the German educational system as very excellent,” said Lutz Hermann Görgens, the German consul general in Atlanta. He defended Germany’s policy on the grounds of fostering the ability “to peacefully interact with different values and different religions.”

(Bolding mine.) That's exactly what the Romeikes don't want.

The article said that a German homeschooling family had moved to Tennessee before the Romeikes did. Gee, we don't hear about them. I wonder if they immigrated the legal way. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1

Idiot fundies hamstring all their kids. I think that is what I hate most about them.

My father isn't a fundie and he did his best to do that to us because his tiny little ego couldn't handle it. So much for parents who want their kids to do better. 

• Like 5
  • Hugs 7
24 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Idiot fundies hamstring all their kids. I think that is what I hate most about them.

My father isn't a fundie and he did his best to do that to us because his tiny little ego couldn't handle it. So much for parents who want their kids to do better. 

My mother never finished high school, went to work at 16 as a waitress to help support her family when her father was out of work. My dad, a high school grad, sold vacuum cleaners.  Either one would've given their own right arm to make sure their kids had more opportunities and education than they had.  Which is why 3 of their 6 kids have post-grad degrees; one Master's, 1 JD, 1 MD.  

That these people think that keeping their kids uneducated and impoverished because that is what God wants, is just sickening to me.

• Like 11
  • Applause 5
  • Love 3

I remember a YouTube video they posted awhile ago. Trace was singing the praises of Lydia’s family. He was particularly touched that the parents always had frozen pizzas (something the family didn’t eat) just for him, because he didn’t eat German food. Trace better get a good job in Germany so he can afford frozen pizzas and fast food. Freaking snowflake. I’d love to see him navigating everyday life in Germany. I wonder if the parents now regret not moving to Austria, where homeschool was legal, and closer to Germany. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 4
24 minutes ago, SMama said:

I remember a YouTube video they posted awhile ago. Trace was singing the praises of Lydia’s family. He was particularly touched that the parents always had frozen pizzas (something the family didn’t eat) just for him, because he didn’t eat German food. Trace better get a good job in Germany so he can afford frozen pizzas and fast food. Freaking snowflake. I’d love to see him navigating everyday life in Germany. I wonder if the parents now regret not moving to Austria, where homeschool was legal, and closer to Germany. 

He didn’t eat German food? 😆😆😆

• Mind Blown 1
11 hours ago, Notabug said:

Thanks for the info.  These two idiots probably think that this is some sort of action/adventure story like on TV or in the movies and it will be so much more dramatic if they stay put and wait for ICE to come knocking.  Their goal is probably more for the Jesus-y glory of claiming persecution and getting lots of attention from their fundie pals for their steadfastness.  They undoubtedly expect someone to swoop in like Indiana Jones at midnight to save Lydia from the terrible fate of returning to a developed nation where she speaks the language and where the social safety net isn't nearly as frayed and torn as it is here.  Oh, the humanity!

💯. Reality of how this will go down - it won't be IMMEDIATE deportation. The Oct 11 date in their "petition" appears to report to self deportation. So that date will come and go while Trace and Lydia sit at Zach's kids' soccer practice. Then it likely won't be an expedited deportation where ICE shows up 2 days later - that's the sort of thing that would happen if Lydia had committed a violent crime. Ok so she'll be in the "regular" deportation queue. I don't think anyone knows what that looks like at any given time - so when Thanksgiving and Christmas come and go and Lydia is still here cue G&K - praise the LORD, they tried to bring our family down, but we prevailed bc GOD.

Reality is though it's like living with a sword hanging over you. Like ICE can knock on the door at any moment. What mother of a newborn would be ok with this?? Like Trace is off renovating a kitchen in January, ICE knocks, Lydia is home alone with the kid, guess what the kid sits in a facility until Trace can come claim him. ICE isn't stopping by G&K's house on the way to processing, so Lydia can drop off the kid and give him a thousand kisses while someone videos it for YT and Gil prays over Lydia!? I mean if ICE wants to be nice bc this is a young blonde haired blue eyed white mom, they may wait in the house for 15 min for Addie/Ellie/Callie/some adult to get to the house to get the kid before they haul Lydia out. Like do Trace/Lydia get this??

My recollection is that rental cottage they're in is down the street from Michael & Brandon. If I'm Trace/Lydia right now, I'm sitting down with Michael/Brandon and explaining this to them in great detail and when Lydia is alone have them on speed dial - you see any cars pull up to your home, you call Michaël/Brandon ASAP to come get the child. 

I fully expect Trace is much like John was with Alyssa's heart thing - ooh IDK when the doctors talk they use SUCH big words . . . Like lawyers are talking, he's nodding like he gets it, but he truly does not and does not even know what to ask. Not that any Bates child is a genius but I think Trace is one of the dumber ones with low comprehension - much like the sisters close in age to him - Katie, Carlin, Josie, Tori. Difference is the sisters can get away with being ditzy morons and punt everything to their headship, here the headship is sitting there going - duh I don't get it. Not that Zach, Nathan, or Law are geniuses by any stretch but I feel like if it were one of their wives, they could at least ask the lawyer questions to start to put 2 and 2 together.

42 minutes ago, SMama said:

Lol food should be the least of his concerns. What on earth is someone barely going literate in English with no marketable degrees going to do for money in Germany?? It's a notoriously strict country - IDK that you can just go be a handyman bc you feel like it - there are licenses, which he can't get having zero German language skills. Not to mention how do you interact with customers with zero German skills (while English is spoken, I hardly think they'll be in a major city like Frankfurt or Munich).

Has Trace even downloaded German Duolingo to get a jump on things??

But yes American style processed food like frozen pizza tends to be on the expensive side in the EU - you know the place where they pride themselves on keeping prices for fresh healthy foods like vegetables cheaper than for processed junk. 

I mean if he's looking for a way to make $ from Germany - a YT series on adjusting to live in Germany would be the way to go. But then it's Trace - he'll sit and whine about how much it sucks compared to good ole Rocky Top, instead of showing viewers around and showing how he's adjusting - so viewers will be done watching by week 3.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

Looks like a state representative (Rick Eldridge from district 10, just to the north east of Knoxville) has written to ICE asking to let the family stay. I’m sure they would have preferred to have a congressman or senator but so far that is not happening. 

• LOL 8
7 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Looks like a state representative (Rick Eldridge from district 10, just to the north east of Knoxville) has written to ICE asking to let the family stay. I’m sure they would have preferred to have a congressman or senator but so far that is not happening. 

What did the letter say?

Dear Sirs and Madams,

It has come to my attention the Romeike family of TN are due to be deported to Germany. The state of TN has a shortage of piano tuners and Mr Romeike has been filling this essential and unique need for the last 15 years. It is this reason I am respectfully requesting you allow his family to remain in the US and be fast tracked to permanent residency.

• Like 1
  • LOL 19
10 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

What did the letter say?

Dear Sirs and Madams,

It has come to my attention the Romeike family of TN are due to be deported to Germany. The state of TN has a shortage of piano tuners and Mr Romeike has been filling this essential and unique need for the last 15 years. It is this reason I am respectfully requesting you allow his family to remain in the US and be fast tracked to permanent residency.

Maybe the state representative was homeschooled, and can't spell "Tennessee." 

I'm sure the mid-South will just collapse on itself if it doesn't have a piano tuner. 

• LOL 10
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Kelly’s latest spiel includes the fact he “teaches piano lessons”. Is this phrasing just odd to me?

That isn't odd to me as I heard it a lot growing up not all that far from Rocky Top.  SoCal I hear does music lessons or specific instrument.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

If Lydia is relying on Trace to give her advice about whether to self deport or stay she is putting herself in a precarious situation. They should have an immigraton lawyer who tells them what they need to hear not what they want to hear. If it is a matter of waiting about 12 to 24 months for Lydia to stay in Germany for a spousal visa that's not the end of the world. But I can see and hear Trace saying you will not leave voluntarily. If they want you to leave they'll have to throw you out. He'll screw everything up for her if she listens to him.  Members of the military are often separated from their families for extended periods. Yes it's tough but people do it everyday. 

Both of my daughters majored in German in college. They studied at German universities as part of obtaining their degrees. One thing I know is that most Germans speak English very well.  If Trace wants to haul ass to Germany he won't need to speak German fo communicate but he may not be abe to find work. 

3 hours ago, satrunrose said:

It's not quite pediatrician doctor, but it's close.

Or algebra math. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

If I were in Lydia's place I would be having a breakdown. Maybe she is but they seem to be carrying on as if nothing is going to change.  Surely the parents of this group have been talking with relatives in Germany asking for help if they have to move back. And if Trace takes off for Germany just how does he think that he will be able to earn money to pay for an immigration attorney to help his wife sort out her status? I also wonder if the Bates have offered to take in the 2 youngest Romeike girls so that they can stay in the US. Somehow I don't see Kelly stepping up to the plate.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

If I were in Lydia's place I would be having a breakdown. Maybe she is but they seem to be carrying on as if nothing is going to change.  Surely the parents of this group have been talking with relatives in Germany asking for help if they have to move back. And if Trace takes off for Germany just how does he think that he will be able to earn money to pay for an immigration attorney to help his wife sort out her status? I also wonder if the Bates have offered to take in the 2 youngest Romeike girls so that they can stay in the US. Somehow I don't see Kelly stepping up to the plate.

Kelly will forget about them as soon as the Romeikes are out of US airspace. As far as offering to take the US-citizen Romeike girls, Kelly won't do it because it might involve work. She wouldn't be able to pass other people's kids onto her own B'slaves. 

I wonder if the Romeikes even talk to relatives in Germany or would be able to ask them for help. If their families aren't cut from the same cloth, I can see Uwe and Hannelore thinking the relatives are heathens to be avoided. (Or the relatives thinking Uwe and Hannelore are batshit-crazy users to be avoided.) 

24 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't know if its been posted, but the Romeike family story has been picked up by a few publications. Of course all are pro-Romeike.

Of course they're pro-Romeike. The publications that would point out the Romeikes' patent lying, phoniness, and attention-whoring are too busy focusing on actual world problems, like hunger, suffering, and real persecution. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, 65mickey said:

If I were in Lydia's place I would be having a breakdown. Maybe she is but they seem to be carrying on as if nothing is going to change.  

I would as well, but I don't think Lydia is too bright. It wouldn't surprise me if Trace is telling her, "No biggie. Look at the border. ICE is so overwhelmed they'll forget all about us!." Neither one is conducting themselves like they're about to uproot and move to another continent in less than two weeks. 

Which brings me to my next question, what exactly is the Romeikes end game? Do they want a splashy, publicized deportation so they can collect ammo for their martyrdom? If so, they're fools. They might get a few headlines on Fox News, but after that no one will give a shit and they'll have really hurt their chances of coming back legally. Hell, even Lydia's so-called BFF Josie didn't post the petition until the eleventh hour. Josie will forget about her in the time it takes to order her next Matcha Latte. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

If Trace is saying that Lydia should not self-deport, he is a complete idiot.  If she is forcibly deported, it will be 5-10 years before she can even apply to come back.  Does Trace understand that he can't just hop a plane to Germany and stay with her indefinitely?  He will get a short term visa, then have to figure things out from there.  I doubt Germany is too anxious to let in someone who has no skills or education.  And what will either of them do for money?  This is a mess and is not going to magically disappear because they are pretty white Christians.  I felt sorry for Lydia in the beginning because she is inheriting her parents' mess, but they are so arrogant and constantly complaining that people are mean and hateful that I am tired of them.  Either the laws apply or they don't.  If someone who would actually be killed going back to their own country can't get an exception, these people certainly shouldn't.

• Like 13
3 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I presume Uwe and Hannelore have their own circle of friends that could take the girls?

Maybe, but relatives (by marriage) are more likely. Well, relatives of Uncle Trace.

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Mind Blown 1
4 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

If Trace is saying that Lydia should not self-deport, he is a complete idiot.  If she is forcibly deported, it will be 5-10 years before she can even apply to come back.  Does Trace understand that he can't just hop a plane to Germany and stay with her indefinitely?  He will get a short term visa, then have to figure things out from there.  I doubt Germany is too anxious to let in someone who has no skills or education.  And what will either of them do for money?  This is a mess and is not going to magically disappear because they are pretty white Christians.  I felt sorry for Lydia in the beginning because she is inheriting her parents' mess, but they are so arrogant and constantly complaining that people are mean and hateful that I am tired of them.  Either the laws apply or they don't.  If someone who would actually be killed going back to their own country can't get an exception, these people certainly shouldn't.

Yeah, I feel bad for Lydia until she's an adult. She had plenty of time before her marriage to fix it but she didn't. She continued to ignore it along with her parents and even now is acting like it's no big deal. That's on her and it's on her idiot husband for not getting it dealt with before now.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Yeah, I feel bad for Lydia until she's an adult. She had plenty of time before her marriage to fix it but she didn't. She continued to ignore it along with her parents and even now is acting like it's no big deal. That's on her and it's on her idiot husband for not getting it dealt with before now.

And they will continue to ignore it as the October 11th deadline comes and goes. They won't leave until forced. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

And they will continue to ignore it as the October 11th deadline comes and goes. They won't leave until forced. 

I thought the deadline was October 4. 

I have no idea how accurate this info is...

A friend of mine told me the Romeikes should have applied for something - green card, work permit, sponsorship - about 5 year before their youngest German born child was due to graduate. He said if they did that they likely wouldn't be facing deportation now.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I have no idea how accurate this info is...

A friend of mine told me the Romeikes should have applied for something - green card, work permit, sponsorship - about 5 year before their youngest German born child was due to graduate. He said if they did that they likely wouldn't be facing deportation now.

That would have been about five years ago, and they were already on deferred status, as in the clock was already ticking then. As I understand it, they had no path to green cards or citizenship. Who knows, though. 

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Heathen said:

That would have been about five years ago, and they were already on deferred status, as in the clock was already ticking then. As I understand it, they had no path to green cards or citizenship. Who knows, though. 

That's how I also understand it. Otherwise, Lydia could have applied for a green card when she got married, if not already having one from age 18.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
7 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Like I said, I have no idea. The way he explained the could have tried to use a 'good citizen' type loophole. Kind of what the Romeikes are saying in their rants, but they would have had the secondary (non) excuse of homeschooling to stay if they had tried while the German born kid(s) were school age.

So Trace posted a deportation update video where he interviews his FIL and they answer frequent questions.

Trace acknowledges that marrying a US citizen and popping out a US citizen does not exempt Lydia from the deportation order. So apparently T&L hired an immigration lawyer as soon as they married and made a motion to reopen the family's original asylum case - bc that case has to be reopened to remove Lydia from that case, so then she can seek a spousal visa thru Trace. The court denied that motion to reopen. From what I could understand from Trace & Lydia's convulted understanding - courts don't want to reopen these "low profile" cases so if you're denied once, you just keep asking the court again and again until it reopens.

Uh as a lawyer - no you can't ask the same court for the same relief 1000x until they say yes. It's not like a toddler crying to mommy for ice cream until she says yes - WTF. My guess is they have filed a Motion to Reconsider and that's pending; or if it was denied they're taking an appeal. I don't expect these morons to understand any of this, but Lydia even said this is the type of things that takes months and months. I mean if they aren't lying and did file for relief immediately upon marriage - it's been 12 months already.

As for the interview with FIL - I'm sorry but I 100% do NOT believe him and Trace.

Trace comes across ANGRY as he goes on about how THE GOVERNMENT gave them indefinite deferred action and there was NEVER any conditions like having to leave when the last German kid turned 18, so they built their lives upon that, they're great Christians doing wonderful things for their community and THEY are being asked to leave. I mean Trace sounded nasty enough that I legit expected him to sneer - "THEY have to leave but those brown people get to stay!?" - but he didn't.

Sorry but I 100% don't believe this. As a lawyer, the doctrine of continuing harm comes into play in lots of types of law. The harm here was - we couldn't stay in Germany bc we couldn't homeschool and we were at risk of losing custody of our kids. Ok our government went with that. I GUARANTEE our government went with that for the time period that that there was continuing harm - i.e. original asylum seekers under age 18 so we'd return to the same problem in Germany. Guess what that problem came and went when the youngest German kid turned 18. Guess what that just happened to be this year. It's no accident that the government reached out to them THIS YEAR. It is clearly in a government computer that they had until 2023. And I 100% don't believe the government didn't tell them that.

But instead they've been sitting on their laurels for 15 years praying. Frankly when the 1st US born kid was born 12 years ago, the PARENTS should have sought asylum/continuation of deferred action FOR THEMSELVES for 18 more years to ensure they could stay and homeschool that kid (and then again 2 yrs later for the next kid) so they wouldn't end up deported with minor kids.

Instead FIL lets slip the "plan" was as the kids married US citizens, they'd get green cards themselves eventually and/or when the 2 US born kids got old enough, they could sponsor the parents/rest of the asylum seekers . . . but alas the pesky government file had them marked for removal in 2023, with the oldest US citizen kid being just 12 so she can't sponsor anyone.

And to add to their worries - homeschool/non public school diplomas aren't recognized in Germany so when this brood lands in Germany - it'll be hard to get jobs . . . Lol. Good luck Trace . . . .

Edited by cereality
  • Like 10
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 5