Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: One Bullet

jewel21
  • Start Topic

When a gunshot victim comes into the ER, his injuries prove to be so catastrophic throughout his body that multiple doctors need to jump on the case. Meanwhile, Ian is faced with a mandatory drug test and Padma prepares for her C-section.

Airdate: 10/04/2022

I was actually worried they were going to kill off Padma, since they were obviously trying to make this big point about the impact the one gunshot had. Glad they didn't and that the babies didn't die, but seems like it will not be super smooth?

Also, I did NOT need to see all those close ups of the c-section.

Last week when Cade told Condrad about her druggie dad, I thought it was a bad move for her, because obviously Conrad would do something. And he did. I loved that he admitted right away that he told Kit to do a drug test, and I hope people don't fall for his cover up for long. I'm guessing not, and that this will be what breaks them up?

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Every episode of this show is exhaustingly preachy. It’s like an after school special.

The show has always had something pointed to say about the medical system but the shift in the past couple of years from a drama with a pov to an after school special has been unfortunate. This was unbearable. 

I do not care about Cade or her father. I have not learned his name as he is not long for this show. The fact that her primary concern was what it would mean for her family and not a child who could die if her father operated high and something went wrong tells me all I ever need to know about her.

Does this giant hospital with a history of being a private surgically focused institution really have so few ORs? Are Leela and AJ the only surgeons who work there? How is AJ not off on the day his babies are scheduled to be born? With someone else on the scheduled who could step in for the emergency surgeries coming in? It was a scheduled c-section!

I actually did feel for Padma as things kept getting pushed back and then as she had the abruption. Giving birth is not safe and being anxious and wanting it over with is very understandable. And I am worried about her now. She did seem detached from the baby news at the end of the episode. What she went through was traumatic and Devon did his best but was not the person she wanted by her side. 

• Love 6

I thought that the premise was interesting -- that one bullet can cause so much damage and cost the hospital  so much money. (It's okay show, you don't need to convince me that the US medical system has big problems, I know that already.)

4 hours ago, vibeology said:

Does this giant hospital with a history of being a private surgically focused institution really have so few ORs? Are Leela and AJ the only surgeons who work there? How is AJ not off on the day his babies are scheduled to be born? With someone else on the scheduled who could step in for the emergency surgeries coming in? It was a scheduled c-section!

Yeah, that was really overkill. If Padma needed both Leela and AJ holding her hand, they both should have booked the day off.

The show is working hard to make Padma happen and the harder they work, the less successful it is. For me, because of two main reasons:

1.   Padma is so child-like, I tend to dismiss her as an adult character. It's not the reading of Narnia to calm herself down, it's the continuing desperate need of reassurance. I've had a caesarian, I didn't need someone there holding my hand as I waited much less two specific persons.
  2. So many over the top medical dramas. The surgery in the season opener was enough, she didn't need a placental abruption, the OR crisis and ending up in the ICU in this episode. It's too much. And it's not creative enough to interest me for it's own sake. As a character, Padma is a drag on the show.

In the Cade/Conrad conflict, I'm on Cade's side. She trusted Conrad enough to tell him why she wad upset because they are in a relationship and he went behind her back to go to Kit. Yes, he has a responsibility to the hospital but he went behind Cade's back. Conrad should have told Cade what he felt he had to do.  After all, it was only a suspicion she had based on that she thought he took a pill.

• Love 3

Conrad had a responsibility to make sure no one dies because a doctor is on drugs. He didn’t report her father by name so I don’t see a breach of confidence there. Cade towers over her father and is as tall if not taller than Conrad. I never realized Andrew McCarthy was short.

I don’t like Leela and Padma anymore than I like Cade; none of them can act. I assume Padma will be dealing with postpartum depression which would make sense with her medical scares. 

• Like 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

Conrad had a responsibility to make sure no one dies because a doctor is on drugs.

Which is what he should have told Cade, and that he would have to report it to Kit.  But all Conrad said was that if her father is taking drugs, that's a problem. And it's not as if this worked; as soon as Ian learned that there was a mandatory drug test, he covered his tracks.

But I suppose that the main point of this was to show that there isn't any real trust between Conrad and Cade at the moment even if they are dating.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It did work though because they are repeating his text the next week so he will have to be off the pills or get found out. If Cade expected Conrad to just do nothing and take a chance no one would be hurt then she doesn’t know him very well. And if she was wrong and her dad wasn’t taking drugs, the drug testing wouldn’t hurt anything. I think it is probably a good thing to test the doctors and nurses occasionally.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, vibeology said:

How is AJ not off on the day his babies are scheduled to be born? With someone else on the scheduled who could step in for the emergency surgeries coming in? It was a scheduled c-section!

This.   So much this.  There is more than one shift in a hospital, therefore there are other doctors working other shifts.  Even at the end when Conrad and Dr Feldman (?) and Nurse who's name is escaping me, were leaving and then there is another gunshot victim so they turn around and go back.  Uhm, I'm pretty sure you're off the clock and someone else is on duty now.   

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Too much Padma, again! It’s f-king annoying! 😣

Leela and AJ not taking the day off for the scheduled C-section are just plain stupid.

I have a bad feeling that we will be forced to watch Padma struggling with PPD or motherhood etc while living in her new condo. This will drag AJ down too. Ugh.

Conrad and Cade make a great team, so in sync working on their cases. It’s more believable to have them as BFF than a couple.

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

It did work though because they are repeating his text the next week so he will have to be off the pills or get found out. If Cade expected Conrad to just do nothing and take a chance no one would be hurt then she doesn’t know him very well.

I think that was the point.

My money is on Ian finding a way to skate on the test next week, either by being off the drugs (and then going on them after the test) or finding another way to cover up his use.

1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I have a bad feeling that we will be forced to watch Padma struggling with PPD or motherhood etc while living in her new condo. This will drag AJ down too. Ugh.

I wouldn't be surprised because for some reason they want to keep her front and centre but really don't know what to do with her since she doesn't have medical training or really much of any skills other than yoga.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 10/5/2022 at 11:22 AM, statsgirl said:

I thought that the premise was interesting -- that one bullet can cause so much damage and cost the hospital  so much money. (It's okay show, you don't need to convince me that the US medical system has big problems, I know that already.)

Code Black did this every week. It was an excellent show - season 1, then a mediocre show on season 2 when they decided that Rob Lowe super doctor coming from the military (like Conrad) was better than good acting by Marcia Gay Harden. But it is still worth watching.

The numbers showing on the screen, I don't know. I wish they had done it better, more nuanced. things are messy but they don't happen like that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So, Padma survived and she seemed a little disinterested in the babies, so we are probably going into postpartum depression, when she disappears for a while, Leela starts taking care of the babies, then finds out she actually wants babies - because obviously, women MUST want babies, sometimes they just don't know they desperately want them - and it is just another recycled trope that shows how patriarchy still rules. I think I will vomit if I turn out to be right

And/or we will see AJ demanding sole custody after Padma comes back, keeping up with his character, which is being an asshole. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, circumvent said:

So, Padma survived and she seemed a little disinterested in the babies, so we are probably going into postpartum depression, when she disappears for a while, Leela starts taking care of the babies, then finds out she actually wants babies - because obviously, women MUST want babies, sometimes they just don't know they desperately want them - and it is just another recycled trope that shows how patriarchy still rules. I think I will vomit if I turn out to be right

And/or we will see AJ demanding sole custody after Padma comes back, keeping up with his character, which is being an asshole. 

I think since they have made AJ a bit more cuddly since he started, he won't demand sole custody - but he might insist on hiring people to help Padma out until her PPD is resolved and to help her out. So he might wrap her up in bubble wrap.

I hope that if Leela ends up wanting kids (if the writers decide to destroy the childfree aspect of her character), it isn't because of Padma - maybe it could be because she had some rough cases, or she has to watch a pediatric patient for a bit after a surgery to make sure they are okay, and then she does some long and hard thinking before telling Devon "hey I think I want kids" - maybe have it be a mid-season cliffhanger where Leela discovers she is pregnant.

Edited by bros402
  • Love 2

Didn't they already have Leela saying she had reconsidered about not wanting babies?  When she and Devon were in the midst of their angst about having a family?  And Devon also said he was reconsidering?  All so they could stay together?  I fully expect Leela to get pregnant at some point and have her own set of twins.

1 hour ago, izabella said:

Didn't they already have Leela saying she had reconsidered about not wanting babies?  When she and Devon were in the midst of their angst about having a family?  And Devon also said he was reconsidering? 

I seem to remember something like that when  Devon decided to stay.

(Personally, I think watching Padma cope with infant twins would be more likely to put me off kids than inspire me to have them while juggling a couple of residencies.)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 10/5/2022 at 8:23 AM, vibeology said:

Not only that, but Leela is a RESIDENT, not like, the chief of surgery or anything...and a cardiothoracic/neuro resident, to boot.  What the hell was she doing performing obstetric-related surgery ON HER OWN SISTER?  She would have been better off sitting down and donating a few pints of blood, you know, to her IDENTICAL TWIN.  I totally thought that's the direction they were going to go.

This show is ridiculous, I need to break up with it.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/5/2022 at 4:21 PM, perkie1968 said:

This.   So much this.  There is more than one shift in a hospital, therefore there are other doctors working other shifts.  Even at the end when Conrad and Dr Feldman (?) and Nurse who's name is escaping me, were leaving and then there is another gunshot victim so they turn around and go back.  Uhm, I'm pretty sure you're off the clock and someone else is on duty now.   

It's just like that trope on legal procedurals where a crime happens on the morning where there is some big event that night, and the entire squad is like, "We have to hurry and solve this murder before 6 pm or no one can attend the wedding!" etc. RIDICULOUS!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I’m behind on watching this…..just picked it back up.  

When Cade mentioned to Conrad what if it was your family member, would you want it addressed?  YES!  I would love for them to be drug tested and stopped.  Drug addicts are not going to admit it or get help unless they have to.  Going to him and having a rational conversation so he would stop it himself is laughable.  A thinking person would have been grateful the surprise test was implemented.  There is no plus to him continuing to put lives in danger. And, if she was wrong and he isn’t taking drugs….great.  No harm done.  Maybe, they caught some other people during the process. I have no idea what Cade meant when she told Conrad, I don’t need you to save me.  That made no sense in relation to the situation, imo.  That would only make sense if her dad were operating on her.  Lol

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/8/2022 at 10:50 AM, circumvent said:

You’d think in the 21st century we’d be over this trope and have some happily childfree female main characters. But TV writers keep insisting on it for some reason.

I will say that The Resident handled Padma’s abruption and C section better than ER handled Abby’s. ER had Abby arguing and bitching about medications and anesthesia (and of course her OB gave in to her constant whining, so she got to stay awake for her section) and screaming like a hyena at everyone in the OR to shut up and was barking orders, and she was practically sitting upright during the operation. Padma was at least afraid on the way to the OR plus lying down and under general anesthesia, and she seemed more tired afterward than Abby who was sitting bolt upright and wide awake with her hair perfectly brushed. 

I don’t like this show as much as without Nic but at least they handled that much well. And I don’t even like Padma LOL. 

The situations were different though. The show had established earlier in the season that Padma was scared of everything that could go wrong, unlike Abby who was a doctor and had a reality-based assessment., Leela had to constantly reassure Padma who knew nothing about what was going on.

I was awake for my C-section (had an epidural). I thought that was standard.