Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E23: Survival of the Fittest

• Start Topic

Sam and Dean make a plan to storm Dick's company building and kill him once and for all, with help from Castiel and Meg. Providing Bobby doesn't get to Dick first.

As much as I hate to say it, "Carry On Wayward Son" has lost some of its emotional punch for me.  Kind of like a joke that has been run into the ground.  *cough*Dick Roman*cough* 

I found the Dick jokes humorous at first, when they were a bit more subtle. But by the end, they were so blatant that I grew weary of them. This show doesn't seem to ever know when enough is too much or the concept less is more...but whatever.

As to this episode...not a fav, but then again, there's only one finale that I consider a "good" episode. They overpack them with plot and angst that by the end I'm left wondering if anything really happened.

Not a fan of yet another send off for Bobby with yet another "do you see we're really sad" stare at the camera for both Sam and Dean. And not really sure that I approve of how easy it was to dispatch the Leviathans, but that's generally how I feel about most their big bads, so at least there's consistency there. I did think the Leviathans just being herd monsters themselves was somewhat interesting since they were treating humans like the herd--that was a little underdeveloped, IMO.

Trying to end on a positive, so...I thought that Dean and Castiel stuck in Purgatory was interesting potential for the next season. Plus, I love the return of Baby and Dean's new leather jacket was nice. Speaking of jackets...I need one of those (or any of Dean's jackets for that matter), it's always astonishing how many delightful things Dean manages to stow-away in his jacket pockets. Not only one bone of mass destruction, but two were somehow concealed in that jacket!

• Love 1

I always thought that the purgatory story line had a lot of potential and was disappointed when it wasn't revisited more in season 8.   Being totally unspoiled for the ending when I originally watched, it was shocking when Dean and Cas vanished like that.  Sam being left all alone, not by his own choice, also had some promise.  Little did we know that storyline would be kind of half assed too.  

• Love 2

There was some really great dialogue in this episode.

I'd forgotten how much I liked the shenanigans between Dick and Crowley. That opening exchange was gold IMO my favorite bit was:

Crowley: "You know what I like about you"

Dick:  "My lack of pretension?"

Crowley:"You're smarter than you look"

Dick: "Wellll, now you're just flirting", said with all the smarm he could muster. So great.

I would watch a spinoff called Crowley and his Dick :):).

Meg and Dean picking at each other about Cas.

Meg: You deal with him. I can't anymore

Dean: You want to be more specific

Meg: I was laying low halfway across the world when emo boy pops up out of nowhere and zaps me right back here.

Dean:Why?

Meg: You ask him. He was your boyfriend first.

Sam: Because Dick made more Dicks.... He must've kept a chunk of the original Dick Roman somewhere. Uh, they'd all have to touch it.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

There was some really great dialogue in this episode.

I agree catrox. I just watched this today, and I;d forgotten how much great dialogue there was in this episode. In addition to all of the stuff you mention above there was the whole beginning "argument" with Sam and Dean was classic Sam and Dean...

Dean: I still say this is a bad idea.

Sam: Dean it was your idea, and it was the best one either of us had.

Dean: I said it as a joke.

Sam: It was a bad joke - good idea.

And I can only guess that the bad joke was "get thee to a nunnery" because they were going to a convent catacombs... and then the end of the conversation where Sam suggests calling Castiel and Dean explains why he wouldn't do that again.:Castiel showing up naked on his car, covered in bees. Sam: "Yeah, I'm not really sorry I missed that." Hee.

I also enjoyed the whole exchange where Crowley figures out that Castiel is not quite playing with a full deck.

Castiel: I-I keep thinking there are no insects up there, but here we have... trillions. You know, they're making honey and silk and... miracles, really.

Crowley: What are you talking about?

Castiel: Um, preferring insects to angels, I guess.

Well said Cas... as a fellow bug-lover, I appreciated that.

Also as Linderhilll and DittyDotDot said, the ending left major potential for the next season. It wasn't this episode's fault that that potential wasn't fully realized.

And not really sure that I approve of how easy it was to dispatch the Leviathans, but that's generally how I feel about most their big bads, so at least there's consistency there.

This is true, but I did like how they continued the theme that it was arrogance that contributed to Dick's downfall. This time, insulting Crowley turned out to contribute, just as his betrayal of the Alpha Vampire did. It was poetic just desserts that Crowley had offered to work with him and was rejected, and now Dick realized the "bottom-feeder" was maybe more needed than he thought now that Sam and Dean were on his trail. As Crowley always says is he the only one who doesn't underestimate the "denim-clad" nightmares that are Sam and Dean Winchester?

• Love 2

I agree there is some really great dialogue in this episode, but the episode as a whole seems rather flat overall. I think S7 might be my favorite for Crowley. I think Crowley's best when he's working his own angle and one never knows what that angle is and I like him best when I'm never sure if I should trust him. I mean, one should never "trust" Crowley, but you know what I mean, right?

I do adore the scene where Dean goes out to talk to Cass whose sitting a car listening to John freakin' Denver. That's not a commentary on John Denver himself, but Dean's reaction to Cass doing it. It's just so fitting that Cass would be listening to it and even more fitting that Dean would need to take a breath to be able to deal with Cass listening to it. I also really like the scenes of Sam and Dean discussing what would make someone righteous. There was some nice banter in the early part of the episode.

I don't even know what to think of the overly complicated bone of mass destruction, though. I do appreciate that there was no magic words or anything like that, just a bone covered in blood, but I'm not sure how a bloody bone really relates to the Leviathans. I mean the borax stuff seemed kinda natural to the universe with it being kinda on-par with salt (although, I think the show missed a perfectly good opportunity to arm the boys with little squirt guns to carry with their flasks of holy water and little vials of salt), but why does the blood of humanity's fallen on a pure bone send Leviathans back to Purgatory? Doesn't really matter, just one of those stupid meanderings of mine.

This episode starts to fall apart for me around the time they head off with the bone of mass destruction the first time. And, the stuff with Bobby just feels like it should've been wrapped up a couple episodes back. I loved Bobby, but they should've left well enough alone, IMO. I think the ghost stuff makes character sense, but really feel like they didn't really commit to dealing with it and then crammed the resolution in here. I don't know, I still maintain that I would've liked it better if Dean just thought he was being haunted all this time rather than him actually being haunted.

Okay, the good to end on: Baby's back, y'all! ;)

• Love 1
I do adore the scene where Dean goes out to talk to Cass whose sitting a car listening to John freakin' Denver. That's not a commentary on John Denver himself, but Dean's reaction to Cass doing it. It's just so fitting that Cass would be listening to it and even more fitting that Dean would need to take a breath to be able to deal with Cass listening to it. I also really like the scenes of Sam and Dean discussing what would make someone righteous. There was some nice banter in the early part of the episode

.Not trying to nitpick but I think it's actually important to the and was such a painfully sad choice of song that had to have been 100% intentional. Cas was listening to Don McClean's "Starry Night" which to me is way more telling about Cas' state of mind than anything else.

We heard "Look out on a summer's day, with eyes that know the darkness in my soul. Shadows on the hill"..as Dean approaches the car. Then as Dean is leaning and asking "So Cas, what's the word" we hear" I finally understand what you tried to say to me, how you suffered for you sanity"  and Cas goes on to talk about nature etc. This scene has stayed with me forever because really, holy crap...that song is depressing and sas and so beautiful because Cas decided to bleed for the Winchesters once more in spite of his falling apart. And Dean was pretty great with Cas getting him to talk. So much love for that scene and what it foreshadowed for the rest of the episode and Cas landing in Purgatory with Dean.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

You're right, remembered it as a different John Denver song, but now that you point it out I remember the song correctly--thanks for clearing that up. Again, I thought it was a fitting song choice, no doubt it was 100% intentional.

• Love 1

This ep seemed to be all about checking the boxes.  I agree that Bobby's story should have been wrapped up a little sooner but it hit me right in the heart when Dean watched him burn.  I wish they had spent money on that special effect.  This story was crowded enough.  That song is called "Vincent," not "Starry Night" and lovely and fitting.   I think it was the original Don McLean, not John Denver, but I would have to go back and listen again.  Dean and Sam should have had more interaction with Dick throughout the season. The final showdown just felt anticlimactic.  I felt so bad for Kevin, being kidnapped like that. 

Can someone clear up Crowley's trick for me?  I thought if he signed a contract (or kissed as his signature) he would not go back on his word.  So did he or did he not betray his own contract?

This ep seemed to be all about checking the boxes.  I agree that Bobby's story should have been wrapped up a little sooner but it hit me right in the heart when Dean watched him burn.  I wish they had spent money on that special effect. 

On the commentary Sera Gamble and Robert Singer say they just didn't feel we should watch Bobby go out like that. Something about how they've made it such a gruesome thing over the years and thought it would be awful to see it.

Can someone clear up Crowley's trick for me?  I thought if he signed a contract (or kissed as his signature) he would not go back on his word.  So did he or did he not betray his own contract?

I'm assuming he had some small print hidden in that contract somewhere. That's Crowley's usual MO, he doesn't really lie, but generally just doesn't tell the whole truth. They never specifically said, as I recall, though.

So at the end of my season 7 re-watch and as baby is being driven to announce their selves big, you see 2 silhouettes. Looks like their stunt doubles and then Meg is the only one who gets out of the car. Not complaining just an observation. Really enjoyed this season and yes I am a closeted 12 year old, I loved all the Dick jokes.

• Love 1

I actually liked this season better than season 6, but this was a very underwhelming season finale.  First of all, if you don't trust that Crowley is giving you his real blood, why don't you insist he draw it right in front of you?  What's with all the unnecessary, "We'll just have to trust you're giving us the real deal"?  Killing Dick in the end was surprisingly simple and uninspired.  The Bobby ghost plot was just too contrived.  And how does the lore work?  I thought burning the bones/object/whatever destroys the spirit.  But Bobby made it like he was just being released.  But to get to Heaven you need to be reaped.  So where did Bobby go?  Too many holes in that one.  They should have just let Bobby's story end when he died at the hospital.  I laughed at most of the Dick jokes this season,but they had worn thin by this last episode.  And the whole Leviathan world takeover plot, while I did enjoy the campiness of it (they went for humor a lot more than with past major story arcs that were sometimes too heavy-handed), it was kind of lacking compared to some of the plots of seasons past.  Ending the episode with a cliche cliffhanger that they've done before (just replace Hell with Purgatory) just makes this season-ender feel like a mid-season episode with a "to be continued".

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Dobian said:

The Bobby ghost plot was just too contrived.  And how does the lore work?  I thought burning the bones/object/whatever destroys the spirit.  But Bobby made it like he was just being released.  But to get to Heaven you need to be reaped.  So where did Bobby go?  Too many holes in that one.  They should have just let Bobby's story end when he died at the hospital.  

Where Bobby went is a bit complicated--or more contrived, whatever--you'll see. ;)

I still maintain I think it would've been far more interesting and scary if Bobby hadn't in fact been haunting them, but Dean thought he might. Ah well, whatcha gonna do?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

I still maintain I think it would've been far more interesting and scary if Bobby hadn't in fact been haunting them, but Dean thought he might. Ah well, whatcha gonna do?

I think that might've been interesting as well, but then Dean would've been wrong about something supernatural and/or hunting related, and that hasn't happened much since Gordon if I'm remembering correctly. The show just doesn't tend to roll that way. Usually if Dean has an instinct about something supernatural, it generally tends to be right.

• Love 1

I've pretty much already figured out where Bobby went and what will happen with him, but will wait and see lol. 

One thing I did like about the Leviathan plot was it's satire of corporate exploitation of fat, stupid Americans.  It reminded me a little of some of the satirical plots and villains from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, like Glory.

• Love 1

Finally finished S7! I agree @Dobian there's some good things about S7, but this is a pretty underwhelming finale. One thing that always trips me up is, how they dispatch the Leviathans. It's just too easy; kill one and the rest aren't a problem? Plus, the whole weapon doesn't really make sense. Why two ingredients are basically human--the bone and the demon blood--when humans didn't exist till after Leviathans were locked away, I'll never know? Plus, I don't understand why they needed Crowley's blood specifically. Couldn't they use any demon's blood? Meg was on their team and she's a demon... .

Anyhoo, I really like crazy Cass. These are the times Misha kinda shines, IMO. And, Crowley is always a delight when I'm not sure exactly what he's up to.

Now on to S8. Oh boy. ;)

• Love 1
On 1/2/2015 at 11:08 AM, DittyDotDot said:

I don't even know what to think of the overly complicated bone of mass destruction, though. I do appreciate that there was no magic words or anything like that, just a bone covered in blood, but I'm not sure how a bloody bone really relates to the Leviathans. I mean the borax stuff seemed kinda natural to the universe with it being kinda on-par with salt (although, I think the show missed a perfectly good opportunity to arm the boys with little squirt guns to carry with their flasks of holy water and little vials of salt), but why does the blood of humanity's fallen on a pure bone send Leviathans back to Purgatory? Doesn't really matter, just one of those stupid meanderings of mine.

I read this and all I could think was "If they're in hell, how can they hear the chanting?"  he he
I mean, they could put in an explainer for us... but do we really want them to?  Really??  ;)

Not my favorite, by far, for Finales, but OK.  I realized while watching this episode today that I really, really like Dick (Roman that is).  Sorry, one more dick joke because if I had to hear them all this week during my Season 7 re-watch, then you all get to enjoy one more too!

No, but really, I found myself loving this character.  And I 100% did not care for Dick Roman the first time around.  But he's just so perfect- smarmy and sarcastic and witty.  He and Crowley had the best dialogue together.

I was surprised (the first time around) when Sam was left all alone at the end.  It had great promise and I felt bad for the guy...

Spoiler

though, I'm realizing how similar the end of Season 7 is to the end of Season 11 for Sam).

And we all know how Season 8 turned out, so IMO the potential for this finale was completely blown.

I was really hyper focused on how terrifying it must be for Dean to be whisked away to Purgatory, seemingly weaponless and alone after Cas disappears, surrounded by monsters like that.  Sure would be nice to have some Purgatory fun in Season 8...  :/

• Love 3
On 8/22/2016 at 6:56 AM, DittyDotDot said:

e @Dobian Plus, I don't understand why they needed Crowley's blood specifically. Couldn't they use any demon's blood? Meg was on their team and she's a demon... .

Because they needed the blood of the King of fallen humanity.

Weird. I can't delete DOBIAN.

Ok, so it was here that Crowley made the deal, and yeah, I would have liked to know the loophole (maybe it was the whole "kiss" part).  Plus, if Dick killed Crowley, then wouldn't that invalidate his blood (presuming he did make a vial to send to Sam and Dean) because Crowley would no longer be the "king of fallen humanity", that title would now go to whoever next took over the role?

Was there other items besides the creamers that was supposed to take out "unsuitable" humans?  Because not everyone likes those fake 'creams' in their coffee.  And wasn't part of the point of the food additive to make humans eat more, become more fat?  Why kill off people who could be "fattened up?"  

What was the point of the second blood bone?  Both got stuck into Dick, if the first one had worked (I presume it didn't have the right blood), wouldn't it have had the same results?  Why was stabbing Dick in the neck any better than the stomach?

Interesting set up for S8.  How does Dean survive and get out of purgatory?  I'm sure Sam will figure out something.  Though without Bobby (can one came back from being 'burned' as a ghost - if there's a way, I'm sure we'll see Bobby again - or there's always flashbacks/alternatve universe/time travel) or what's his name with the winnebago (though we never saw a body, and we should all know, if there's no body we've seen burned, there is always a good chance we see the character again), he'll need to find another good researcher.  Charlie can only help so much.  And what will Kevin do now?  Are all the angels really dead?  All of them???  

[I ended up being a lot slower to finish this season - had an injury and the meds made me sleep a lot when I wasn't struggling to stay vertical at work - so not sure I'll finish enough before S13 starts - but will continue to try - and I'll DVR S13 until I'm ready, if necessary].

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

And wasn't part of the point of the food additive to make humans eat more, become more fat?  Why kill off people who could be "fattened up?"

These were people who wouldn't "fattened up." Some people just don't gain weight not matter how much--or how poorly--they eat. Usually those animals get culled from the herd early on and you wouldn't keep them around for breeding stock either.

16 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

What was the point of the second blood bone?  Both got stuck into Dick, if the first one had worked (I presume it didn't have the right blood), wouldn't it have had the same results?  Why was stabbing Dick in the neck any better than the stomach?

The first one was a distraction so Dick would let down his guard and let Dean get close enough to actually kill him; they only had one bone with the fallen blood on it. 

17 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Interesting set up for S8.  How does Dean survive and get out of purgatory?  I'm sure Sam will figure out something.

Yeah, that's what I thought too...NO SPOILERS!! ;)

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

he first one was a distraction so Dick would let down his guard and let Dean get close enough to actually kill him; they only had one bone with the fallen blood on it. 

Yes, but why was a "distraction" needed, since Dean did get close enough to stab Dick with the first bone into his stomach?

2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Yes, but why was a "distraction" needed, since Dean did get close enough to stab Dick with the first bone into his stomach?

I don't know, I would guess it really has more to do with TPTB thinking they needed a fake out... .

For me, though, I just figured Dean was being smart and having a back up plan. So often their initial plan tanks and they have to punt. So, Dean was just being prepared for that Dick would pull some shenanigans and the first attempt wouldn't work and he'd have a better shot at it if Dick let down his guard; they only had one overly-complicated bone of mass destruction after all.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Ok, so it was here that Crowley made the deal, and yeah, I would have liked to know the loophole (maybe it was the whole "kiss" part).  Plus, if Dick killed Crowley, then wouldn't that invalidate his blood (presuming he did make a vial to send to Sam and Dean) because Crowley would no longer be the "king of fallen humanity", that title would now go to whoever next took over the role?

Don't try to interject logic into this whole scheme.  This was seriously my least favorite finale of this show.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

I totally read that as boner of mass destruction. I blame it all the Dick jokes from s7.

Well, that was the implied joke there...and I suspect the whole reason they used a bone was to get a boner joke out of it all.

5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Don't try to interject logic into this whole scheme.  This was seriously my least favorite finale of this show.

Hee! Yeah, I should just stick to my own advice: logic and reason have no place here!

• Love 1

Heh. Dick offered Crowley Canada. I love Crowley's contract. Castiel showed up naked covered in bees. Bwahaha. So he's gone from watching the bees to being covered in them and getting their honey. Is that progress? Dick's having the contract notarized. I like animal rights activist Cas. "Why should we trust you?" "Good God, don't. Never trust anyone." I like this Crowley. Poor maid. Bobby doesn't even seem to feel guilty when she's asking to go home. Yay, Kevin can pick locks. Poor Polly. Yay, Sam trying to save the maid. I like that Bobby seeing his reflection choking Sam is what brought him to his senses. "You got anything to say on the topic of Dicks." "Go get Dick. But don't do it 'cause you think it'll scratch the itch." Oh, they are working the Dick jokes hard for this finale. Bye, Bobby. You deserved better. Baby's back! Nice trick with the decoy bone. Kevin's kidnapped, Crowley's a dick, the actual Dick is dead, Dean and Cas are in Purgatory and Sam has never been more alone in his life. 

I still don't care much for the leviathans and season 7 killed Bobby, so I want to say it's dead to me, but it wasn't as bad on binge watch and I really like Kevin. He's my favorite thing about my least favorite seasons. 

• Love 1
On 02/01/2015 at 7:08 PM, DittyDotDot said:

don't even know what to think of the overly complicated bone of mass destruction, though. I do appreciate that there was no magic words or anything like that, just a bone covered in blood, but I'm not sure how a bloody bone really relates to the Leviathans. I mean the borax stuff seemed kinda natural to the universe with it being kinda on-par with salt (although, I think the show missed a perfectly good opportunity to arm the boys with little squirt guns to carry with their flasks of holy water and little vials of salt), but why does the blood of humanity's fallen on a pure bone send Leviathans back to Purgatory? Doesn't really matter, just one of those stupid meanderings of mine.

There was an explanation given somewhere (I wish I had read this thread before the episode so I’d have made a note of when) that the bone of a pure and good human was needed to counteract the vile evilness of the Levithian. Basically, I took it to be a yin and yang thing. The most pure and good of God’s creation was involved in slaying his most wicked creation. 

Thats the bone bone accounted for. I’ve no idea where the blood stuff comes into it haha

• Love 1

that ending was so sudden! also, i'm glad they didn't show bobby burning and just showed sam and dean. i wouldn't have been able to take it.

SO glad the levis are gone. holy cow they are the most frustrating of the entire series. i never want to even hear of one again, no THANKS.

i don't like how they separate sam and dean yet again, it's like the writers didn't know what to do so they just wrote that, scratched their heads and dealt with it.

also is it just me or does kevin totally not look like a teenager. he looked like an adult to me.

On 7/17/2017 at 11:34 AM, Hanahope said:

stabbing him twice is better than once, since he killed bobby and all.

• Love 1

As with every finale so far, they had too many ideas crammed into one episode, and the result is that nothing has the gravitas it deserves. Bobby could have been resolved earlier. The bone scavenger hunt was rushed. The Leviathans (which I really like as a monster) go out with a whimper. 

Still, I thought it was entertaining. Also, as a transactional attorney, watching the scene where they negotiate a contract gave me life (and reminded me how much I hate lawyers who don't define parties recognizably).

Despite the fact that they were ultimately taken down fairly easily, I thought the Leviathans carried the season fairly well. Dick was a great villain. And the end set up a fairly interesting premise with Sam alone and Dean in purgatory. 

• Love 3