Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: That Would Be Me

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

I guess public speaking isn't Karn (I think that's his name)'s forte!  To be fair, it wasn't the worst I ever heard, but it definitely lacked any confidence or energy to rouse the troops.

Looks like it's going to be a classic tale where Cassian is betrayed by his friend because said friend assumed that Bix and Cassian were having an affair (granted, they really do give off those vibes!)  Speaking of which, the show continues to try and show how they aren't like those other starts by implying that Bix and Perrin actually had sex!  That's right, people actually hook up in the Star Wars universe!

Nice seeing Fiona Shaw as Cassian's mom.

Flashbacks are the most boring part of the show so far.

Stellan Skarsgard finally arrives!  He's after all of those big franchises!  You're next, Star Trek!

• Love 1

Interesting that, two episodes in, we haven't really seen any rebellion OR the Empire yet. The Empire's influence is definitely felt, and it seems like Pre-Mor is a security contractor working on their behalf--keeping lower-level threats in line on planets that aren't as much of an Empire priority. But we haven't seen storm troopers or imperial uniforms, and on Ferrix, it mostly looks like a bunch of people just trying to get by. I wonder when Mon Mothma will make her first appearance?

So we have a few more hints about what happened to Kenari. But I wonder why Cassian being from there is considered such a secret. Clearly, what happened there isn't common knowledge--we've seen both Pre-Mor folks and the runner Cassian talked to having to look up the planet--so why was Cassian's guardian(?) being all, "Who knows you're from Kenari?? Everyone I've told is dead!!" Obviously, it's relevant NOW because of the bulletin, but why would they have needed to be careful who they told before? Why did they need to falsify his birthplace to start with?

I like Stellan Skarsgard, but I'm a little surprised that he got such a big-deal introduction. They spent several long shots shooting him exclusively from behind before finally revealing his face. Shows don't normally pull that move unless 1) it's a surprise reveal of a character we weren't expecting or 2) it's a HUGE star, mostly like one whose casting had been kept under wraps.

So dude called the authorities on Cassian because he thinks Bix and Cassian are messing around behind his back? See, this is what happens when society perpetuates the idea that men and women can't have platonic relationships!

• Like 3
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, angora said:

So we have a few more hints about what happened to Kenari. But I wonder why Cassian being from there is considered such a secret. Clearly, what happened there isn't common knowledge--we've seen both Pre-Mor folks and the runner Cassian talked to having to look up the planet--so why was Cassian's guardian(?) being all, "Who knows you're from Kenari?? Everyone I've told is dead!!" Obviously, it's relevant NOW because of the bulletin, but why would they have needed to be careful who they told before? Why did they need to falsify his birthplace to start with?

I wonder if it is one of those scenarios that he was a witness to this horrible thing happening that the government covered up so if they knew there were survivors they would have taken him out. I THINK it is mostly kids? So their parents were rounded up for something and apparently there was a mining accident? That's what I think it may be. Huge governmental coverup of the actual events that happened on the planet.

Edited by joanne3482
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

This show is greatly overestimating my level of interest in a shady smuggler in a love triangle, a bunch of kids (in the past, I presume) and an ambitious version of a future mall cop.

Also, always a good idea to remove the weapon on a body, either because it may come in handy or preventing it from becoming handy for someone else.

I got nothing. *Something* is going on. I don't know what, nor why I should care.

I think that the key thing about Kenari must have been whatever the ship was trying to do.  The official line was a mining accident that caused a toxic planet.  But unless that happened after the kids, the crash, and the sweeping advanced structure something else was hidden there.  

i wish it hadn’t been so obvious from last week that the boyfriend was going to turn him in.  I guess the question is what happens when she finds out.

• Love 1

On my initial watch, I wasn't that into the flashbacks to Cassian's childhood on Kenari. But the second time around, I really liked them. They both gave needed context to his story and were excellent just as a Lord of the Flies style mini adventure.

Karn makes me shake my head. What was that speech. Great job from Kyle Soller in the role.

Stellan Skarsgard is one of those actors that when he shows up, I always know I'm in good hands.

• Love 1

2 main thoughts for this episode were: 1) OMG am I going to see a sex scene in a Star Wars story? and 2) B2EMO may become my favourite droid after the OG pair of C-3PO and R2-D2. I currently find him more interesting than that glorified soccer ball from the sequel trilogy.

At the moment, the weakest part of the story is the flashbacks, like I know long term they will be important (and better be), but I feel they slow a slow story down more. Watching them I feel that perhaps it would have been better for the first episode just to be the flashbacks, but then I guess it would spoil something they don't want us to know. The flashbacks could also be annoying me cause ever since Lost, every show seems to feel the need to have flashbacks every episode to flesh out characters and their motivations - especially ones with a mystery.

On 9/23/2022 at 1:32 AM, angora said:

I like Stellan Skarsgard, but I'm a little surprised that he got such a big-deal introduction. They spent several long shots shooting him exclusively from behind before finally revealing his face. Shows don't normally pull that move unless 1) it's a surprise reveal of a character we weren't expecting or 2) it's a HUGE star, mostly like one whose casting had been kept under wraps.

Not gonna lie, it wasn't until I read this thread that I realised that Stellan didn't play Jyn's father in Rogue One, that was Mads Mikkelsen. I literally said 'Oh cool, it's Jyn's dad' when they revealed his face. Now I feel like an idiot and have no idea why they hyped up the reveal of his character in the show like they did.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I can't get over how much emotiveness they are able to give to B2EMO. One of the best droids in the SW universe to date. He reminds me of a mix between Wall-E and B.O.B. from The Black Hole

(Am I dating myself too much with that last reference?)

• Love 2
On 9/26/2022 at 11:13 PM, Cthulhudrew said:

I can't get over how much emotiveness they are able to give to B2EMO. One of the best droids in the SW universe to date. He reminds me of a mix between Wall-E and B.O.B. from The Black Hole

I saw the resemblance to Wall-E as well. B2EMO is adorable. 

• Love 1
On 9/28/2022 at 4:29 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I saw the resemblance to Wall-E as well. B2EMO is adorable. 

The first scene featuring him travelling across the landscape gave me major WALL-E vibes. To the point that I cannot believe it was coincidental.

• Love 2
On 9/22/2022 at 11:32 AM, angora said:

So dude called the authorities on Cassian because he thinks Bix and Cassian are messing around behind his back? See, this is what happens when society perpetuates the idea that men and women can't have platonic relationships!

Is that how they went from "were looking from a guy from Cassian's planet" to "here is the exact name and picture of the guy we want"? Because I like this show, but so far the first two episodes I have watched on weekend afternoons with my daughter after doing a bunch of chores so I am already a bit tired. But I had thought it was the bar girl they brought in who gave the positive ID.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This episode was a nice continuation of the last one.  I sort of like the slower pace, the lack of constant fight scenes, and a plot with a rather narrow focus.   I still feel a little lost and I'm not sure if it's because I haven't rewatched "Rogue One".  I'm still intrigued without knowing anything, though.  I was wondering who that random guy who was travelling into town was, but I'm guessing he might be the buyer.  

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I still feel a little lost and I'm not sure if it's because I haven't rewatched "Rogue One".

I don't think a Rogue One rewatch is necessary for this show. The obvious references are obvious and the really deep cuts are background things that don't impact the story other than adding flavor for eagle-eyed Star Wars fans. Having said that, Rogue One is still a fantastic movie and worth watching just on general principle.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

I don't think a Rogue One rewatch is necessary for this show. The obvious references are obvious and the really deep cuts are background things that don't impact the story other than adding flavor for eagle-eyed Star Wars fans. Having said that, Rogue One is still a fantastic movie and worth watching just on general principle.

It's one of my favorites.

13 hours ago, Camera One said:

I still feel a little lost and I'm not sure if it's because I haven't rewatched "Rogue One".  I'm still intrigued without knowing anything, though.  I was wondering who that random guy who was travelling into town was, but I'm guessing he might be the buyer.  

I agree with dwmarch; "Rogue One" is not really necessary here.  There's a lot of dialogue, a lot of speaking roles, and you never know what is just filling in background, and what will turn out to be important later.  But that's part of the fun.

I felt the same about the random guy taking the flying bus into town, but recognized Stellan Skarsgård, and figured he must be important.

• Love 1