Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Lots of 0s and 1s

AMC Renews ‘Halt and Catch Fire’ for Season 2

“Halt” had been on the fence for a pickup as total viewership was modest. But AMC execs said the period drama set in the world of the 1980s computer biz  had enough of a hard-core following coupled with a generally strong reception from critics to warrant a renewal. Lee Pace, Scoot McNairy, Kerry Bishe and Mackenzie Davis star.

Also:

“Halt” averaged 1.3 million viewers in live plus 7 ratings across its first season, and about 606,000 in adults 18-49. The show wrapped its 10-episode run on Aug. 3.

I've had a lot of frustrations with season 1, the uneven characterization and OTT moments being my biggest issues, but overall I'm pleased and will watch season 2 to see if they work out some of the kinks. 

Wow, seriously shocked to see it got a second season given the absolutely dismal ratings.  That said, I'll tune in to see where it goes, but the characters had better improve (namely the male leads)

• Love 2

I am thrilled that it has been renewed.

Loved the show. Just loved it. The initial episodes were a bit shaky as they established their universe, with episode 2 in particular being so weak that I have to really think hard to remember what happened but as the seeds that were dropped in those early episodes bore fruit, the series became strong and layered. Episode 8 in particular was a hugely engaging and satisfying hour of payoff. I am really happy that AMC has given this show another season in which to find an audience. Hopefully they will back up their good faith by having HACF air after a better lead-in or move up the time-slot.

• Love 2

Wow, seriously shocked to see it got a second season given the absolutely dismal ratings.  That said, I'll tune in to see where it goes, but the characters had better improve (namely the male leads)

I wonder how much of it actually has to do with the typical reasons that they give for renewal (dedicated following, hope to build for the future) and how much of it is the fact that by summer 2015 AMC won't really have a lot of original programming. I mean by then Mad Men will have aired its series finale and Breaking Bad will be outside of most people's memories.  Walking Dead appears to be a Fall/Winter show so unless AMC has some really awesome shows in development, they are going to have to renew/push returning shows, even ones with low ratings if they want to stay in the original series game.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wonder how much of it actually has to do with the typical reasons that they give for renewal (dedicated following, hope to build for the future) and how much of it is the fact that by summer 2015 AMC won't really have a lot of original programming. I mean by then Mad Men will have aired its series finale and Breaking Bad will be outside of most people's memories.  Walking Dead appears to be a Fall/Winter show so unless AMC has some really awesome shows in development, they are going to have to renew/push returning shows, even ones with low ratings if they want to stay in the original series game.

Good point. Elsewhere I've seen people asking the question, "So what's left for AMC original shows once Mad Men is over?" and there aren't a lot of top-tier answers to that question. 

Edited by kieyra

Hopefully, they will wrap up this Joe MacMillan walkabout stuff quick and bring him back to Austin.

Hopefully they will have him eaten by a bear and be done with this totally silly, 100% failed character.  I'd only watch the show again if they cut him and Mr Whiny Sad Sack and made it about the two women and the cool and funny rogue, buccaneer geeks at Mutiny.  Reboot the series totally with that and I'll give it a view.  Otherwise the show should be re-entitled Crash and Burn as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 3

Hopefully they will have him eaten by a bear and be done with this totally silly, 100% failed character.  I'd only watch the show again if they cut him and Mr Whiny Sad Sack and made it about the two women and the cool and funny rogue, buccaneer geeks at Mutiny.  Reboot the series totally with that and I'll give it a view.  Otherwise the show should be re-entitled Crash and Burn as far as I'm concerned.

Amen to that!!!  Joe, to me, is the fly in the ointment of this show: yes, he was necessary to kickstart what we saw, but I honestly didn't expect this show to get renewed (and I think Kel's analysis, that it's not the "success" of HaCF that got it renewed, but that it's about the only AMC show they'll have to throw out there with their "big guns" shows retiring, is spot on.  Plus, it's probably is fairly cheap to boot; Lee Pace, what with some of his cinematic turns, is probably the only even moderately expensive actor...). 

Now that it is coming back... shit, I'll probably still watch it, but definitely want Joe's character on the periphery.  There is still a very interesting story to tell about these early days of the PC explosion, that don't require a manic, psychotic weirdo to ground it.  The Gordon of those last few episodes, or a tamed Cameron, or Donna without quite so much Mary Sue... these will be an interesting core of a second season.  But Joe?  No hate on Lee Pace, but that *character* needs to be buried.  Ugh.  Double Ugh.  Ugh.

• Love 2

Amen to that!!!  Joe, to me, is the fly in the ointment of this show: yes, he was necessary to kickstart what we saw, but I honestly didn't expect this show to get renewed (and I think Kel's analysis, that it's not the "success" of HaCF that got it renewed, but that it's about the only AMC show they'll have to throw out there with their "big guns" shows retiring, is spot on.  Plus, it's probably is fairly cheap to boot; Lee Pace, what with some of his cinematic turns, is probably the only even moderately expensive actor...). 

Lee Pace is in Guardians of the Galaxy. Of course, he's blue, but he's the villain. Well, except for Thanos, who's the villain everyone is really waiting for.

Right- that was my point, that outside of Lee Pace whose been in movies like GotG and the Hobbit, the rest of the cast is presumably fairly cheap and eager to keep working a steady gig. Which is another reason the show would get renewed: it may have weak ratings, but if it's *really* cheap, then that hour each week still adds to the AMC coffers.

Anyone know when this show is coming back?  We know they were renewed, and I've been seeing ads lately on AMC advertising their various shows including HCF, urging you to catch up on Season 1... but no actual "season 2" date in those ads, nor on their site/Wikipedia.

Thanks for that.  It's weird, I've been seeing for weeks these ads on AMC for purchasing the DVD of the first season, but usually those kinds of ads end with "... and be sure to watch season N, which starts Blahbuary bleemteenth on AMC!".  I wasn't sure when I'd see them if this meant the show was coming back soon, or in a few months, or never but they had ad time to fill and figured they'd move a few copies of the DVD.

• Love 1

I saw a brief promo for the show during Mad Men, and I wasn't all that impressed, but it was more of a "Hey! We're still around!" promo than a "Here's what's going to happen."

They've had enough time between seasons to think about what worked and what didn't, so fingers crossed things improve.

• Love 1

Will be interested to see how season two goes.  I thought Season one was interesting but left quite a bit to be desired in the execution and writing

"But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" :)

I saw a brief promo for the show during Mad Men, and I wasn't all that impressed, but it was more of a "Hey! We're still around!" promo than a "Here's what's going to happen."

They've had enough time between seasons to think about what worked and what didn't, so fingers crossed things improve.

Fingers crossed! I grew very frustrated with the previous season, yet still kept tuning in.  But I think by consensus the problem was basically Joe: he was so off-the-wall as a character that he threw everything else out of whack.  The best episodes were those ones where for a while the Giant was starting to really come together for ComDex, when Joe's paranoia and destructiveness was on a back burner (er, poor choice of words?).  To this day I don't remotely understand the character or his motivation, so I hope he takes his sweet time coming back from that hike in the woods.

That extended trailer they put out a while back of Donna and Cameron running the new company seemed so much more interesting than any Lee Pace melodrama; I'll stick around for an interesting drama about the early ages of computing that feels more real than the "DSM-V Theater" we saw last year.

• Love 1

Why is figuratively every show ever made on Sunday nights?

It's the big night in cable. Also most people are home and have no obligations for the next morning.

Not that it really matters anymore, but ratings numbers are averaging in the  300,000-ish range... which is about the same as last year. 

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/halt-and-catch-fire-season-four-ratings/

I guess us diehards have stuck around.

:D

Edit... sort of off topic, but I just found out that a show I had been actively following has been CANCELLED by SyFy just following its Season 3 finale with a GIANT unresolved cliffhanger!

This just goes to show how lucky we are that despite undeniably terrible ratings, HACF is at least receiving a conclusion after a respectable 4 Season run. 

Thank You AMC!

Edited by CanadaPhil
11 minutes ago, CanadaPhil said:

Edit... sort of off topic, but I just found out that a show I had been actively following has been CANCELLED by SyFy just following its Season 3 finale with a GIANT unresolved cliffhanger!

This could have been written any time in the last 17 years.

On 9/3/2017 at 8:38 PM, CanadaPhil said:

Not that it really matters anymore, but ratings numbers are averaging in the  300,000-ish range... which is about the same as last year. 

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/halt-and-catch-fire-season-four-ratings/

I guess us diehards have stuck around.

:D

This just goes to show how lucky we are that despite undeniably terrible ratings, HACF is at least receiving a conclusion after a respectable 4 Season run. 

Thank You AMC!

Thanks, Phil! I had been looking for the ratings. catbooks & Dudestein are on another board - she doesn't like this board because you can't create your own post. I told her all the boards suck & I've taken to live tweeting to get immediate feedback. lol

47 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I hope some people will discover this show once it can be binged on netflix, etc..  I am very grateful to AMC  for sticking with it and it deserves a wider audience.

It hardly matters how many people watch it now & it's been on Netflix for awhile.

Edited by cinles