Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Frenemies – Chapter Three: The Blackmail

tessaray
  • Start Topic

Air Date:  September 14, 2022

Courtney and the JSA receive an anonymous tip that could help in their murder investigation. Meanwhile, after being told to find balance, Sylvester looks into potential jobs in Blue Valley, while also trying to figure out who he is without his Starman identity.

I look forward to seeing what story the local news will come up with regarding the damage in the grocery store.  Good thing whoever owns the story doesn't believe in using security cameras like our mystery villain.  Looks like Joel McHale may be sitting the next few episodes out as Sylvester recuperates - seems like someone just flew him up into the air and then dropped him. 

It's a little surprising the Gambler's computer allows for an infinite number of passwords attempts.  I'd have expected better from a criminal mastermind.

• Love 1

If Sylvester isn't dead, he has got to chill. Pat is much better than me. There's no way you will be yelling at me in my own HOUSE!!! Anyway, there is something off about him. Anyone else feel the same? 

Now the reason I think he is possibly dead is....that looked like a huge drop. There's no way whomever dropped him didn't fly really high. 

I like Barbara and Huntress (I forgot her real name) scenes.

That fight scene was fantastic. I feel bad for the owner of the store.

For someone who says he is not idiot to fall for Cindy's trick, he sure acted like an idiot. Why would you confront the Crocks in public? Sportsmaster himself pointed this out.  Sylvester could've easily killed someone blasting the staff all around.

I actually felt bad for Cindy when she got called a demon spawn. Ouch. That was harsh. It's not like she asked to be born the daughter of the dragon king. It's not like she asked to be experimented on either.

Why does Rick hate Cameron again? Speaking of Cameron, I wonder what his grandparents told him. I thought his coldness to courtney this episode might've been the result of them telling him what happened to his father.

• Love 3

Real smart, Sylvester, just attack the Crocks in public.  Congrats, you made Blue Valley a food desert for awhile.

Barb and Paula are on their way to becoming best friends.  Barb showed up to Paula's speech, and Paula dealt with Barb's asshole coworker.  I love how the Crocks just want to be legit friends with the Whitmore-Dugans.

Nice to see that after Sylvester called Cindy a demon spawn, Courtney told her she was on the team.  Granted it was warning her not to go behind the team's back, but still nice.

• Love 1

I was enjoying the KC and the Sunshine Band song at the end.

No, Sylvester/Starman, the grocery store shenanigans were a bit. The store will be closed for days. The corn on the cob will be cream corn. The paper towels are everywhere. One does not have a public, albeit well-choreographed fight in a grocery store that most likely has cameras. Why didn't the poor clerk call the cops. I liked Starman doing his driving the staff on to the floor. Cool effect. But yeah, maybe talk to the Crocks first. Mrs. Crock/Paula is quite flexible.

What is with the tea in Blue Valley?

Cindy is lucky that the Gambler's laptop doesn't have some password failsafe and that the hard drive is wiped with each successive password hack. Wonder if she tried KennyRogers as a possible password.

Also enjoyed Paula visiting Barb's nasty boss. And her speech to the Rotary Club. Plus Pat talking to Sylvester about Court being abandoned. He is really lucky to be her step-dad.

Cameron's grandparents seem to be lurking around like lutefisk - but that is Swedish.

Wonder who threw Sylvester in to the sky and then dropped him.

I'd rather have the waffles than what looked like oatmeal.

• Love 1

Yep - definitely enjoying this season much more than the last one.

Starman was being even more off/sketchy in this episode, but then he got attacked(??) so that threw me a bit. However, the show has always shown him as kind of a jerk, so he's still on my likely suspects list.

They only have the budget to do these big action pieces a few times a season, but they always great when they do. Props to the stunt team! But seriously, Starman fighting the Crocks in public with civilians in close proximity? I feel like there has to something wrong with him.

Well, the ISA certainly picked best town in America to do villainy -- because these locals hardly question to any of the shenanigans happening!

Not really feeling the music choices this season. It's not the songs themselves, but I don't think they fit the scenes they put them with. Sometimes it's mostly distracting, instead of enhancing.

Did Cindy ever say WHY she was at The Gambler's trailer in the first place? (Did I miss something?)

• Love 1

Has the staff (Cosmo) gotten an origin story yet? Would it be possible to make another, or was it a fluke or the creator took the secret to his grave or something? If Sylvester survives and gets his head on straight it would be less awkward for both him and Courtney to have their own than for them to share.

Looked/sounded like Solomon Grundy picked up and tossed Sylvester high into the air and he fell down from there. Gotta say, wouldn't be too sorry if this killed the jerk (again). Pat is way too forgiving of the guy and his condescending, aggressive attitude.

I'm still liking my "icicle as murder weapon" theory in regards to the Gambler. Guilt could be part of what's driving Cameron's isolationist attitude (out of control rage killing), or else maybe the creepy grandparents did it.

Cameron Gellman (Hourman) didn't even try to pretend like he was driving that car, did he? I've been overly attentive about those kind of scenes ever since watching this bit by Peter Weller years ago (warning: some language). CG didn't even move his hands at all on the steering wheel. Denzel Washington award indeed.

Is the Dragon King back? Interesting little shot of a shady person watching videocams around Blue Valley there. Hmm.

It's Starman vs. Sportsmaster and Tigress!  And I have no shame admitting that I was pulling for the (former?) villains here!  Even if there was just cause to at least suspect the Crocks about The Gambler's murder, challenging them and throwing down in the middle of a freaking grocery store of all things is just poor form, Sylvester!  Added bonus was that he at least blew up two cars as well, so some poor Blue Valley folks have lost their mode of transportation for a while.  I'm not sure if he was always this aggressive or if whatever happened with his resurrection has made him angrier.  Fun fight sequence, even though I loved seeing that this store was really stocked up on toilet paper and paper towels, so that is provided some easy ways to cushion everyone/the stunts folks falls.

Cindy is already on probation with Courtney and the JSA after she goes behind their backs and does thing thing Courtney specifically told them not too.  I do think she is sincere about wanting to prove herself and will hopefully be better going forward, but I suspect she'll slip up again.  Or, more than likely, build up enough trust only for the gang to find out about the whole hidden laptop thing...

Barbara and Paula are great BFFs!  Wherever it is supporting one another while one is giving a public speech or threatening the other's douchebag boss in a dark office, they always have each other's backs!  Friendship goals!

Cameron's powers also are starting to make him icy (sorry) as well.  Have to imagine something is coming to ahead with him and Rick.  Curious to see how Courtney will react to that.

Pat continues to be the best.  Great cook, knows his way around a sewing machine, puts the needs and well-being of his family first no matter what, and gives an inspiring but truthful speech to his friend, even if he would have been well in his right to just tell him to fuck off for being such a dick here.  Luke Wilson continues to be perfection here!

Zeek might not know what a metaphor is, but he still has plenty of wisdom!

Mysterious man watching everyone through video cameras, I see.  My first instinct was it being the Dragon King.

Sylvester has now been attacked by whoever or whatever killed the Gambler.  Suspect he won't be gone, but I have to imagine this will take him out of commission for a while.

• Love 2

This season continues to be entertaining.  I think Paula and Barbara are cute together, they have such an unlikely friendship.  And Paula threatening Barbara's boss was funny.

I can't watch this season without having the song "You Get What You Give" by the New Radicals going through my brain.  Because of the way it uses the word "Frenemies" in the lyrics.  "Fre-ne-mies, who when you're down ain't your friend".   Catchy.

• Love 2
On 9/14/2022 at 9:50 PM, BeautifulFlower said:

Why does Rick hate Cameron again? Speaking of Cameron, I wonder what his grandparents told him. I thought his coldness to courtney this episode might've been the result of them telling him what happened to his father.

Rick is pretty surly to most people, but I think he gets really pissed off around anyone he perceives as a bully because of how his uncle treated him.

I actually would like to see Cameron talk about his dad's death. There was no body left behind (at "best" there might have been a few chunks) so how did they explain that away?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm with Paula.  I also have no idea what the Rotary Club does.  I think it's connected to the Catholic Church somehow?  Or maybe it's just that everyone I knew growing up who had parents in the Rotary Club just happened to be Catholic?  

On 9/14/2022 at 9:50 PM, BeautifulFlower said:

Why does Rick hate Cameron again? ...

It's been so long since Cameron has had any scenes with the JSA outside of Courtney, I honestly can't remember what (if any) issues they had. Rick and Cameron had one scene of tension between them - where nothing happened - in Season 2 and that's all I recall. Rick might just dislike him because he's Icicle's kid.

On 9/15/2022 at 11:45 PM, Maverick said:

So how is Chekhov's Locket (and Chekhov's Deadbeat Father) to fit into all of this?   Because that conversation was not just for reminiscing about old seasons. 

I see no reason for Deadbeat Dad to return, but maybe the Locket will. Perhaps Sylvester goes and finds it to give back to Courtney as a peace offering at some point in the season?

Edited by Trini
28 minutes ago, Trini said:

I see no reason for Deadbeat Dad to return, but maybe the Locket will. Perhaps Sylvester goes ands finds it to give back to Courtney as a peace offering at some point in the season?

I could see that.  He might even have a staff powered brawl in a grocery store and bring back both halves.

We've seen Buddy for maybe ten seconds in the first episode, and nada since. I think that puts him at the top of the suspect list. Or the opposite is true, and he was the only Blue Valley citizen not to show up in that trailer park before the murder of Gambler. "What, I say, what is goin' on 'round here?!? Can't an old-timey villain relocate to this humble place in order to look for his daughter? Well, I'll go make the tea. That, I say, that Shade feller always talked ill of it, but ah reckon this is the best you'll find east of the Mississip!"

Sylvester . . . is there a chance he's been infected by Eclipso? I mean, he has these nice moments, and then he just charges into situations that are easily avoidable. Okay, if he put Crusher in the hospital, that would have stopped him from invading the Whitmore-Dugan estate and trashing their breakfast (which Courtney made), but there's no real reason to do that . . . especially after Cindy led him to that conclusion.

Cindy still isn't learning much, though I think Sylvester took her aback. Also, it looks like Gambler was a fan of Jurrasic Park, and he wasn't afraid of anyone hacking this laptop.

Is it Barbara's fate to befriend the bad guys? Not the worst trope, and having Paula as a bestie has benefits.

On 9/15/2022 at 8:25 PM, Terrafamilia said:

Has the staff (Cosmo) gotten an origin story yet? Would it be possible to make another, or was it a fluke or the creator took the secret to his grave or something?

I think it's been established the staff was created by Ted Knight. Not the Caddyshack/Too Close For Comfort guy . . . different Ted.

On 9/16/2022 at 7:04 AM, cambridgeguy said:

Rick is pretty surly to most people, but I think he gets really pissed off around anyone he perceives as a bully because of how his uncle treated him.

Plus the teacher Cameron snapped at is the same woman who came to his house to apologize for falsely accusing him of cheating and gave him a pep talk about college, which clearly meant a lot to him. 

So I don't think that Sylvester has any ulterior motives anymore, I just think he's really messed up, feeling like he has no idea what his life is now, and is clearly still working through a lot of trauma. Plus he's just kind of a smug asshole, which we also saw in flashbacks. Yeah, having the Crooks just hanging around now is weird, especially now that Pat and Barbara are genuinely starting to bond with them, but attacking them right in the middle of a grocery store filled with civilians was the worst way to confront them you can imagine. 

The person/whatever that is attacking people in the trailer park sounds like Grundy, but even if it is Grundy I bet its someone else pulling his strings? The evil ice grandparents? 

I love Zeek so much.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1