Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Extreme Measures

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Johnny took them to Olive Garden. Because "When you're here, you're family." I liked his escape room idea. Did he put that stuff up while Robby was in his room? He looked not at all surprised when he had to walk through those swinging cardboard doors. "This is just the plot of Young Guns 2." "Shit, you saw it?" "Yeah, with you!" And he got Yaya in on it! And he apparently speaks Spanish well enough to know she said she screwed up. I'm glad the fight wasn't an angry fight, but was just a "do this, get it over with" situation. I was with Johnny worrying when the fight went upstairs (he really couldn't have taken them to the park for this fight?), but I'm glad they fought and worked things out. I loved Johnny screwing up and telling them about the baby without Carmen, but I'm so glad they were excited and we even got a group hug out of it!

Daniel has the stubble of depression. Johnny's right about him looking like shit. Johnny being the voice of reason proves how far he's gone. I appreciated that he needed to make amends with Stingray right away. But of course Silver was waiting for him there!

I was not expecting to see Robyn Lively, let alone her to be Amanda's cousin. When the barroom brawl started, I was kind of hoping she'd use that one pottery-esque hold break Daniel showed her. 

I didn't realize Sam didn't know about Anthony getting bullied at the water park. It was nice to see them actually interact and talk like siblings. 

I didn't predict that Tory would be the one who put the note in their mailbox but it makes sense that she would've, since she has that connection with Amanda. I liked that she went to Kreese for help. He was always a good sensei to her. 

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 7

Finally getting some of the Miggy and Robby bromance that I’ve been missing since the older seasons. It’s about time! And I’ve also missed Johnny and Daniel this season so happy for their scene, and that Johnny was the voice of reason. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 7

Wasn't expecting Jessica to show up and be Amanda's cousin, and she brought mac and cheese.  But it makes sense, somebody had to introduce Daniel and Amanda since Daniel didn't know about Amanda's past.  Who better than a former friend who also knew Miyagi?

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Classic ode to the part in KKIII when Daniel realizes he's gone too far and tells Silver at night he wants out.....

He should have waited for cooler senses to apologize to Sting Ray.  Mr. Miyagi wasn't there to save him this time 

• Love 2

Silver beating the crap out of Danny is one of the few semi-realistic things this show has done.

For the first time I feel a tiny little bit of sympathy for Stingray. He is a pawn in all this and doesn’t realize he’s being used.

• Love 1

I know Terry had to win the fight, but it was a bit too one sided just because he's older now. 

Great cameo at the end! 

I actually think Daniel just walking away and letting this all go would drive Silver up the wall. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2
On 9/9/2022 at 8:40 AM, bettername2come said:

I was not expecting to see Robyn Lively, let alone her to be Amanda's cousin. When the barroom brawl started, I was kind of hoping she'd use that one pottery-esque hold break Daniel showed her. 

Jessica's immediate reaction to Terry Silver's name was telling. And then Amanda has an old school beef turn violent after a chance meeting only to be saved by their niece/daughter was a quick step to forgiving Danial

• Love 2

I am interested in seeing how badly Silver injured Daniel. I like that they established that Daniel was super tired and probably hungover/drunk giving Silver a massive edge. Although I was disappointed that Daniel didn't try those secret Myagi moves that Chozen taught him.

Also as far as the Daniel/Silver feud,  I keep thinking about what Mr. Myagi would think about it. As far as Cobra Kai goes he wanted them to stop targeting Daniel, and he stopped Kreese from hurting Johnny, but I can't really see him caring if they wanted to expand their operation.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Also as far as the Daniel/Silver feud,  I keep thinking about what Mr. Myagi would think about it. As far as Cobra Kai goes he wanted them to stop targeting Daniel, and he stopped Kreese from hurting Johnny, but I can't really see him caring if they wanted to expand their operation.

I guess the franchise fell into the story that until something was in his face Mr. Miyagi wouldn't care. As an immigrant who interned into a camp and drafted and  then while serving his wife dies because of limited care and he had his own combat trauma to match Silver and Kreese's Vietnam P.O.W experiences. The Next Karate Kid though plays against that narrative, maybe Silver made him care but I would need a Miyagi-verse guy to timeline when was Julie's dad a Miyagi student.

While a hot head at times Danial-san ultimately cared more about the next generation of young Chozin's and Dutch's and his greater community. Like Kenny and, before his babyface turn, the Hawk  being raised by bad teachers

Edited by Raja
  • Like 3
49 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I am interested in seeing how badly Silver injured Daniel. I like that they established that Daniel was super tired and probably hungover/drunk giving Silver a massive edge. Although I was disappointed that Daniel didn't try those secret Myagi moves that Chozen taught him.

I had forgotten how much of a mess he was. So that's fair. He wanted to give up; using the secret moves probably didn't cross his mind. Besides, you know you don't use your BFG until the final boss fight. It's coming. 

30 minutes ago, Raja said:

I guess the franchise fell into the story that until something was in his face Mr. Miyagi wouldn't care.

Probably, but the show is going over the top to show *all* Cobra Kais just being unmitigated bullies at this point. I would think maybe Mr. Miyagi would see it more as some kind of imbalance. If we get a little more philosophical, Silver is using the kids as a means to an end, and that's just terrible for their personal growth as well as unethical. I think he'd care because Daniel genuinely cares about the kids. He did step in to help Johnny way back, so I think he'd recognize the widespread mental abuse.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Raja said:

guess the franchise fell into the story that until something was in his face Mr. Miyagi wouldn't care. As an immigrant who interned into a camp and drafted and  then while serving his wife dies because of limited care and he had his own combat trauma to match Silver and Kreese's Vietnam P.O.W experiences. The Next Karate Kid though plays against that narrative, maybe Silver made him care but I would need a Miyagi-verse guy to timeline when was Julie's dad a Miyagi student

I have only seen Karate Kid 1 and 2 but in 1 Miyagi's goal wasn't to take down CK it was just to get them to stop targeting Daniel. I am not sure he cares how Kreese was treating his students while training them. Even in 2 he didn't really try to shut down Sato, even though he saw how Sato was treating his village (at least not until Sato forced his hand).

• Useful 2

Man, if this series as far as to bring Robin Lively in this they might as well bring on the Swank. I was against this because I didn't want or need EVERY character to be brought back but screw it.

She would also be able to identify and work with Sam and Tori's anger issues.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Wow, I so did not expect Robin Lively back as Jessica, but that does make sense. They are really bringing everyone back again, I feel pretty confident that we could get at least a cameo from Hilary Swank. Of course even Amanda cant go to a bar anymore without someone throwing hands. 

I have been wanting a Johnny/Daniel scene all season and it was worth the wait, this show is always at its best when they're working together. You know things are bad when Johnny is telling Daniel that he's a mess. 

I should have known it was Tory who left the secret message, nice seeing Kreese at the end with her. If nothing else, I do think that he cares about her. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Man, if this series as far as to bring Robin Lively in this they might as well bring on the Swank. I was against this because I didn't want or need EVERY character to be brought back but screw it.

She would also be able to identify and work with Sam and Tori's anger issues.

It looks like they're only (so far) bringing back characters that are tied to Daniel's past and Julie wasn't one of them.

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Useful 1
11 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

It looks like they're only (so far) bringing back characters that are tied to Daniel's past and Julie wasn't one of them.

And there is no way Julie wasnt a part of his life if she was being cared for by Miyagi. Miyagi and Daniel were in each other's lives until he passed. He would know her. It was way less likely to see his part 3 not love interest than Swank. Although props to them for working in their combined trauma at the hands of Silver.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

And there is no way Julie wasnt a part of his life if she was being cared for by Miyagi. Miyagi and Daniel were in each other's lives until he passed. He would know her. It was way less likely to see his part 3 not love interest than Swank. Although props to them for working in their combined trauma at the hands of Silver.

And by my statement I meant people that we saw Daniel actually interacting with. 

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 2
On 9/11/2022 at 9:05 PM, Raja said:

Jessica's immediate reaction to Terry Silver's name was telling. And then Amanda has an old school beef turn violent after a chance meeting only to be saved by their niece/daughter was a quick step to forgiving Danial

I said this on the last episode, but it took Jessica basically revealing who Silver was for Amanda to go: "Holy shit, he is worse than Kreese and Daniel was right." Well, how many times did she have to be beaten over the head from seasons 1-3 to get the fact that Cobra Kai was ran by insane people who manipulated and bribed locals to keep them from being shut down until Daniel won the tournament in the third movie. I mean you still had the legacy in The Next Karate Kid and Amanda was still: "Holy shit, you mean all this was real? Daniel was right... again!" 

• Love 3
On 9/13/2022 at 3:12 PM, Racj82 said:

I had to look it up, but I believe that Julie was supposed to live on the East Coast (apparently, Mr. Miyagi was visiting to pay respects to her deceased father who was his military captain or something; and he let Julie's mom stay in his place in Los Angeles for a bit while he took care of Julie). That seems to fit with my memories of 20 years ago or whenever the last time that I actually watched TNKK was.

I don't mind if Julie appears in Cobra Kai. In my fantasies, she'll have made amends with and forgiven the oh-so-important character of "Charlie", who was a minion of Julie's bully, and she'll bring him along. (But only if Charlie is still portayed by Walton Goggins.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Seems too much of a coincidence that Jessica is Amanda’s cousin, but if you look at it from the point of view that Daniel met Jessica in 1985 and they kept their friendship for years, then Jessica introduced Daniel to Amanda, it makes more sense. After all: “By the time I put you in touch with Daniel, he was way past that (what Silver did to him in ‘85).”

Amanda was right that Daniel didn’t resolve his PTSD from that though, it just remained dormant.

I'm very intrigued at Tory's journey--I can't stand cartoonish psychos and want to see more of her questioning what she's being taught. And I really like her relationship with Kreese.

Cannot STAND cheesy grinning psycho with the stupid ponytail. It's going to be good to see him go down.