Type keyword(s) to search

Farmhouse Fixer - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I didn’t see anything here for the show “Farmhouse Fixer”. . Is anyone watching this? What did you think of season two episode one.? I think those California idiots ruined the house by painting the wood ceiling and making everything white washed and that 10 foot island is ridiculous. I think Jonathan needs a new interior designer. I can’t stand that woman for some reason. And show please stop wasting time on how to craft potato stencils onto a shade etc. The black chicken shared with the beachy outdoors looked absolutely ridiculous. I certainly hope the next episode is better than this one. & Why don’t they tell you the purchase price? 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

I watched it when I had cable, and last night I streamed a free episode.

In the earlier season, the emphasis was more on restoration, albeit for paying customers/homeowners. I love old farmhouses and appreciate Jonathan's knowledge of the New England ones.

But Season 2 episode 1 seemed more like a flip, with many modern details in the design. Perhaps a previous owner had already done a lot of updates? I presume the CA homeowners approved the design and staging.

I also hate the crafts, including ones I did in Girl Scouts at age 10. And the wife was very camera-hungry. How many times have we heard a homeowner on these shows exclaim "This is not my house?"

They appear to have dumbed down the show for HGTV.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

(Thanks for starting a thread on this show).

Farmhouse Fixer on HGTV too, with Jon Knight from New Kids on the Block.    They're showing the premiere of Season 2 next.   Jon and Kristina (the decorator) are debating their favorite kitchen remodel, and other favorite rooms from Season 1, for less than an hour of film, it took 12 hours to shoot.   Also, some unaired footage is shown from the first season.   I like they showed the extra scenes, instead of just rerunning an older episode. 

Season 2 episode 1, Sight Unseen.   An LA family bought a New Hampshire farmhouse sight unseen, and I'm always shocked at that.       It was a lot more modern after inside than I like, but it's what the client wanted.    I imagine the show takes whoever applies to be on the show, can finance the remodel, and will spend a lot of time on camera, and they get to specify style and colors, etc.       I'm hoping a lot of this season isn't as modern on interiors, but at least the outside looks pretty much the same.        

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

(Thanks for starting a thread on this show).

Farmhouse Fixer on HGTV too, with Jon Knight from New Kids on the Block.    They're showing the premiere of Season 2 next.   Jon and Kristina (the decorator) are debating their favorite kitchen remodel, and other favorite rooms from Season 1, for less than an hour of film, it took 12 hours to shoot.   Also, some unaired footage is shown from the first season.   I like they showed the extra scenes, instead of just rerunning an older episode. 

Season 2 episode 1, Sight Unseen.   An LA family bought a New Hampshire farmhouse sight unseen, and I'm always shocked at that.       It was a lot more modern after inside than I like, but it's what the client wanted.    I imagine the show takes whoever applies to be on the show, can finance the remodel, and will spend a lot of time on camera, and they get to specify style and colors, etc.       I'm hoping a lot of this season isn't as modern on interiors, but at least the outside looks pretty much the same.        

Whenever they paint perfectly fine wood as they did on the kitchen ceiling it makes me cringe to say the least. I know that was in addition but I don’t know what year the addition was. But wood is wood and am I opinion don’t think it should be painted unless there is an extreme reason for it. It certainly was not dark in there. And the word was light in color anyway . The place was way too whitewashed from me. It really lost a lot of its farmhouse charm. I wasn’t too thrilled with the new staircase either. I hope it gets better in episode two. Did they mention how much they paid for the house or do they do this on the show? Because I’d really love to know the prices that people pay for these houses.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 8/28/2022 at 4:57 PM, chediavolo said:

Whenever they paint perfectly fine wood as they did on the kitchen ceiling it makes me cringe to say the least. I know that was in addition but I don’t know what year the addition was. But wood is wood and am I opinion don’t think it should be painted unless there is an extreme reason for it. It certainly was not dark in there. And the word was light in color anyway . The place was way too whitewashed from me. It really lost a lot of its farmhouse charm. I wasn’t too thrilled with the new staircase either. I hope it gets better in episode two. Did they mention how much they paid for the house or do they do this on the show? Because I’d really love to know the prices that people pay for these houses.

I don't like it when they paint wood either, especially the ceiling.   I'm sure that's something the clients wanted.   I think it was a very modern, blindingly white everything house, and I'm hoping it was a one time modern redo.       That house wasn't that attractive inside to me, before or after.   

I really liked the show before that, talking about the first season homes, with bonus scenes.    

I'm hoping the rest of the remodels this season are more authentic to the farmhouse style.       

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

I enjoyed Season 1 and the rough edges of a new show.  Those owners (IIRC) were all from the New England area and understood what the style was. As soon as I saw this couple was from California I knew that gorgeous house would end up Chip-n-Jo’d to the max. 

I’m a Jon girl from the NKOTB days so he can do little wrong in my eyes. But that chicken coop was a monstrosity. 

• Love 4

I loved season 1 of this show. Loved seeing the old New England  farmhouses restored to their original glory. And I loved the families who owned them. But something was of with the first episode of the new season. I found myself getting bored. I sure hope this week's show is more like last season's episodes. Don't fix what wasn't broken Johnathan. 

Meanwhile I am eagerly awaiting for season 2 of Houses With History. And hoping that they have not changed the format of this show.  

• Love 2

By the way, congratulations to Harley and Jon on their marriage. 

I'm watching the new clip episode, (7 pm Central) with part new about moving the little shed or barn for the goats, with clips of season 1 animal scenes, and I love it.   I hope the 7 pm Central episode keeps on the same theme.  Before the new house episode (8 pm Central) "East Coast Farmhouse West Coast Vibes". (If anyone wants to see the previous week's episode, it's on at 6 pm Central).    So, on the 7 pm Central sort of rerun, combines animal clips from past shows, with Jon moving and setting up an old shed or small barn for a goat pen, and playspace.   I guess this is the new season with a little of older clips.   

Jon is so color blind, he can't tell colors at all, and Kristina tells that his color choices have been rather strange.   His mother's house is purple, he painted it,  and she doesn't like it.   Poor guy can't tell the difference between red and green. 

He talks about the dog house he built for Mrs. Marino from last season, and it's all new footage.   Only a few scenes are from a past show.

The goat pen turned out so well.   I love getting to know the back story of Jon, his project manager, and contractor.     The goat house or "New Kids at the Barn" turned out so well.   Harley's outdoor play space for the three goats is adorable.  

East Coast Farmhouse, West Coast Vibes, Season 2, episode 3 (I think the season 1 clip show last week was Season 2, episode 2).   He talks to Lindsay and Leslie from Unsellable Houses, he judged their kitchen on Rock the Block, and called the counter tops basic.    The house this week is a farmhouse reproduction from the 1970's.   The house is a mess on the outside.      The interior is 1970's old and outdated.  I'm questioning the quality of the original build.  The original house is now down to the studs.    There was nothing worth saving inside in my opinion, and I really wonder how structurally safe the house was when it was originally built.  

The segment about the rescue for farm animals was so adorable.   Also, the cameraman worried about Jon in the pen with the Emu.   His rabbit habitat for the homeowners was adorable.  

The before on the 70's house was hideous, and the after is adorable.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Somehow I missed this last night and I forgot to record it. So he did a renovation of a farmhouse reproduction of the 1970's? Ugh . Have they run out of real  farmhouses? If this is the direction of the show I'll probably skip it. I've seen enought to the "modern farmhouse" look. 

The house was built in the 70's, the outside was fine once the siding was scraped and painted.   The inside was very nice after, floor plan made more sense.    I think they're going with whoever applies for the show, has the boat load of money to do the reno, and is willing to be on camera with all of the testing, and everything that goes with filming in pandemic times.      I'm hoping we get real farmhouses again too.  

I hope that last week's turn historic farmhouse into California chic doesn't continue.    The kitchens are often more modern than I like, but still tasteful, and very useful for the family.    Part of the redo, with new material that's on before the new regular episode showed the kitchen they did for Kristen Marino, with a baking room for her business, and that was very nicely done (she's the cupcake lady).     Next Wednesday last night's episode will be rerun at 6 pm Central.      The new episode at 8 pm Central is a 1790's farmhouse, and I hope that will be back to restoring it, not making it look like every other farmhouse chic modern house.   

• Love 1
5 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Somehow I missed this last night and I forgot to record it. So he did a renovation of a farmhouse reproduction of the 1970's? Ugh . Have they run out of real  farmhouses? If this is the direction of the show I'll probably skip it. I've seen enought to the "modern farmhouse" look. 

Yep. This sucks I fast forwarded the whole thing. I don’t want to see “farmhouses” from the 1970s. And the unrealistic budgets that I see on these fixer-upper shows and on house hunters! I don’t know what the hell did I did wrong  working my ass off my whole life to not even be able to afford to move . 😡

• Love 5
On 9/1/2022 at 9:54 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The house was built in the 70's, the outside was fine once the siding was scraped and painted.   The inside was very nice after, floor plan made more sense.    I think they're going with whoever applies for the show, has the boat load of money to do the reno, and is willing to be on camera with all of the testing, and everything that goes with filming in pandemic times.      I'm hoping we get real farmhouses again too.  

I hope that last week's turn historic farmhouse into California chic doesn't continue.    The kitchens are often more modern than I like, but still tasteful, and very useful for the family.    Part of the redo, with new material that's on before the new regular episode showed the kitchen they did for Kristen Marino, with a baking room for her business, and that was very nicely done (she's the cupcake lady).     Next Wednesday last night's episode will be rerun at 6 pm Central.      The new episode at 8 pm Central is a 1790's farmhouse, and I hope that will be back to restoring it, not making it look like every other farmhouse chic modern house.   

For some reason I can't this episode which I guess is episode 3 On Demand. This is strange because I can get all of the other reality shows and home shows On Demand the day after they air. Has anyone else had this problem?

• Love 1

I love this show and Jon is adorable. I had no idea he was so personable that when I first heard about this show, I was sure it was going to be a lame show filled with self-indulgent mugging for the camera. But no! Jon knows what he’s doing. Kristina is growing on me. I do like her design style and pretty much every couple/homeowner has said how both Jon and Kristina “get” them. So, I have no complaints about the work they’ve done (except that beach chicken coop - the black paint was the only thing good about that, IMO). The 1970s farmhouse didn’t bug me either - it still fits the premise of the show and they did breathe new life into it. The horse property one was stunning and fit those owners perfectly. The only homeowner that seemed iffy with the results was the wife of the couple who bought the house of the wife’s grandfather. Her reactions were confusing to me - she wasn’t overly excited about it and from her facial expressions and body language seemed to dislike what was done to it, but then she’d flip flop and say how much she loved it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Anyway, I binge-watched  all of Season 1 last night - was so excited to see the afters! Can’t get enough of Jon!

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

Does he take the shutters off of every place he works?  Not being from New England, the shutters always seem like one of the key characteristics of farmhouse architecture and you can see them on every other house in the neighborhood.

I'm sure they are a pain to paint.....

1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

Does he take the shutters off of every place he works?  Not being from New England, the shutters always seem like one of the key characteristics of farmhouse architecture and you can see them on every other house in the neighborhood.

I'm sure they are a pain to paint.....

You can get vinyl ones, that will last for years, never need painting, and on an upper story, no one can tell they're anything but genuine wood.    However, unless they're closable shutters with shutter dogs, then they won't look right anyway.   Decorative ones probably weren't even on the houses originally. 

New, "English Charm"   restoring a 1790s Bryce-Morris farmhouse,  in Wenham, Mass., Ed (he's British originally from the Cotswalds), and Carolyn.  They have several doors from the outside to nowhere.    The kitchen looks like 1970's builder's grade.  The kitchen really needs everything, the main suite needs a bathroom, it's so smart to use the boards from the floor in the attic to replace the newer kitchen floor.    Moving the herb garden is such a nice surprise for the homeowners, and it will be so much easier to maintain.   I love Jon and Kristina are visiting the 1790's house, turned restaurant.

I like the antique cabinet for the mud room.  I like that they're using the cut nails in the floorboards they patched with.   I love the pocket shutters, and the man from Houses with History explaining the shutters inside the house were to block the light, and the wind.  I like the authentic antique beams for the kitchen.  I'm not usually a fan of wallpaper, but the hall between the bedroom and bath with the bird wallpaper looks so nice, and matches the color on the light too.   

The new door on the breezeway/front entrance is spectacular.     I love the new Mud Room.  The kitchen is so big, and spectacular.   They added to the kitchen by getting rid of an unused chimney, and an unused staircase.   I like the kitchen island, and the new dining room.   The main bedroom is lovely.   The ensuite is beautiful, and not crowded at all even with the 6 ft. tub, and big shower. The new herb garden, sitting area is so nice.    The closet is fantastic.   

I'm so glad that the show went back to the original premise, of redoing farmhouses, and not turning them into modern West Coast trendy.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 9/8/2022 at 11:19 PM, Grrarrggh said:

Too much grey in the latest place, but otherwise quite nice. 

I agree it looked better before. I also don’t like having a huge island with those ugly upholster chairs in the kitchen. Walk 3 feet to your dining room to sit down and eat . And I’m really against taking out the back staircase sounds like idiocy to me really they couldn’t of worked around it with all the renovation that they did? Besides that back staircase would’ve been very handy in case of an emergency.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I agree it looked better before. I also don’t like having a huge island with those ugly upholster chairs in the kitchen. Walk 3 feet to your dining room to sit down and eat . And I’m really against taking out the back staircase sounds like idiocy to me really they couldn’t of worked around it with all the renovation that they did? Besides that back staircase would’ve been very handy in case of an emergency.

I think it looked fine after, but agree the kitchen didn't fit the overall theme of the house.   However, I suspect that the homeowners have a ton of things they want, and I don't think the hosts, or decorators really have a free hand with designs or colors.  I think in some cases they have a folder of colors, styles of cabinets, or appliances, granite or other materials they like, and the host just supervise the remodel with almost everything already picked out.      I think a lot of people barely use the formal dining room, and use the kitchen islands for everything but holiday dinners. or adult dinner parties.   

The homeowners this week said they had several doors that went to nowhere, so I'm wondering if the stairs from the kitchen weren't really accessible.    I really like having more than one way out of a house in an emergency.  

Chediavolo kindly updated me, so apparently the stairs were possibly useful, from the upstairs hall by the parents' bedroom, but with all of the shoes and everything on it, it might have been interesting to try to get down the stairs safely.     I also agree, a vintage kitchen would have been more appropriate, but the homeowners (I really think they have a lot more say in the design, colors, and everything else) apparently wanted a modern, trendy kitchen.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think it looked fine after, but agree the kitchen didn't fit the overall theme of the house.   However, I suspect that the homeowners have a ton of things they want, and I don't think the hosts, or decorators really have a free hand with designs or colors.  I think in some cases they have a folder of colors, styles of cabinets, or appliances, granite or other materials they like, and the host just supervise the remodel with almost everything already picked out.      I think a lot of people barely use the formal dining room, and use the kitchen islands for everything but holiday dinners. or adult dinner parties.   

The homeowners this week said they had several doors that went to nowhere, so I'm wondering if the stairs from the kitchen weren't really accessible.    I really like having more than one way out of a house in an emergency. 

They showed the back stairs they were using for shoes,  that went up to their bedroom where there was a door to the steps. . A convenient escape if I ever saw one. Some of these homeowners really agitate me. 
YES. If you have that much money to throw around. Why not make a modern kitchen but one that looks vintage? That is my dream. I hated the pine walls in the kitchen too. Nice call on bringing the attic floor to the kitchen though.  
The “historic homes” guy he had on is great. A little like Brett from “Restored” . Brett is the best, he gets heartbroken when some of his clients want to destroy their historic homes & is usually able to talk them out of it. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 9/7/2022 at 4:35 AM, teapot100 said:

I love this show and Jon is adorable. I had no idea he was so personable that when I first heard about this show, I was sure it was going to be a lame show filled with self-indulgent mugging for the camera. But no! Jon knows what he’s doing.

The first time I saw this show, I caught it somewhere in the middle of an episode, and loved it and Jon right away.  I had no idea who he was until I started watching regularly, so imagine my surprise that he's a NKOTB.  Jon just seems genuinely thoughtful and good-natured, and maybe just plain genuine, that I can't help but find him charming.  In the first series, he showed that he knew what he was doing, and how passionate he is about these houses.

I mostly liked the 1790's farmhouse reno, although all the grey was not to my taste.  I kept wishing for more color, but maybe the family can add that with their stuff.  The choices in the kitchen didn't work for me, either.   The kitchen was a lot better than how it started, though, and I love how wide open it was and so bright with the big windows so it has good bones.  Future owners who might want a more traditional farmhouse could work with it and make it more authentic, especially since they put in that beautiful floor from the attic wood. 

I really liked the fun little design on the floor tile in the bathroom, and that they carried it into the shower.  That tub wasn't at all period, but it was fun!  I'd love to take a bubble bath in it.  Though I was skeptical about the bird wallpaper, it worked well in that hallway/closet space.

• Love 2

New, "Old House by the Sea" an 1840's beachside home. Rockport, Massachusetts (near Gloucester) David and Belle, kids are avid sailors.  House is amazing from the outside, but the owners say it's pretty quirky.   After seeing the house tour, quirky is a great way to describe the house. 

Trying to leash train the goats is hysterical.

Front door is fabulous, great first floor, they want to refresh the living room fireplace mantel.   There's a funky pantry/storage room in the living room, playroom is quirky with eyeballs their kids threw up there years ago.  Dining room needs a little vintage work.   Kitchen is horrible, and since it's the side entrance (in New England, Jon says people use the side doors, not the front door).  There's a full bathroom behind the kitchen wall, it's also the laundry room.     I love their coffee table with the sand and sea shells in it. 

He wants to rip the old fireplace out, replace it with something authentic, fix the kitchen, gut the bathroom, with a mud room and a better door to the outside, and move the laundry and pantry to the unused playroom.  Cost is estimated to be $150k.    The lobsterman was so interesting. 

In place of the pantry / storage in the living room, Kristina wants to put a speak easy in there, with black walls, and trim, and maybe go up to the ceiling (I hate that idea). Jon says they'll run it by the homeowners before they do that.  The homeowners will agree, I disagree.  I'm guessing it's the homeowner's idea originally.   I hated the bar and liquor storage area.   The part where they put the booze, and supplies was so narrow, I bet everything will migrate out into the glassware area.  

Bathroom is white marble brick pattern, all the way to the ceiling, with a pocket door with glass and needs to be frosted for privacy.    

I like the blue front door.    The bathroom was spectacular, and I didn't hate the speakeasy, and dark living room. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

The bathroom at the Gloucester place was horrible and seemed below what they usually put out. Loved the black, but wished the kitchen had more colour. The families' neighbours didn't sound like great people and walking the goats was hysterical. 

I live in a subdivision with an HOA, and there aren't any rules about what you can paint your front door.   One resident is always complaining about some of the neighbors front doors, the light pink one, the gold paint (not mustard or yellow paint, but actual metallic gold paint).    However, you have to be right in front of the house to see the door that well.    I bet in the Farmhouse neighborhood, they all have red or some other color, and they decided that the turquoise front door was not matching.    I can't imagine worrying so much about your neighbor's front door color.     

I think the homeowners get a ton of input, and already selected the paint colors, tile, and whatever else the host and designer come up with, and that's how they know what they're going to do to the house, because the homeowner already selected almost everything, so they can order and get the supplies in too.  I suspect Jon and Kristina both have to try to work with the strict design choices the homeowners made before the filming ever started. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I live in a subdivision with an HOA, and there aren't any rules about what you can paint your front door.   One resident is always complaining about some of the neighbors front doors, the light pink one, the gold paint (not mustard or yellow paint, but actual metallic gold paint).    However, you have to be right in front of the house to see the door that well.    I bet in the Farmhouse neighborhood, they all have red or some other color, and they decided that the turquoise front door was not matching.    I can't imagine worrying so much about your neighbor's front door color.     

I think the homeowners get a ton of input, and already selected the paint colors, tile, and whatever else the host and designer come up with, and that's how they know what they're going to do to the house, because the homeowner already selected almost everything, so they can order and get the supplies in too. 

Holy shit I can’t imagine complaining about someone’s front door color and actually being able to get them to change it! What kind of town rules do they have? I’ve lived near  garbage yards and kids toys and barking dogs etc. fireworks, target( I hope) shooting, light pollution, un kept up  rentals, you name it.  and I couldn’t  get a damn thing done about it. No laws. I would actually love to live in a place where they had some rules. Unfortunately some people Who don’t give a hoot about their neighbors will take advantage if they aren’t kept in line by regulations .   But that one definitely goes a little too far. 

• Love 2
On 9/14/2022 at 10:13 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

New, "Old House by the Sea" an 1840's beachside home. Rockport, Massachusetts (near Gloucester) David and Belle, kids are avid sailors.  House is amazing from the outside, but the owners say it's pretty quirky.   After seeing the house tour, quirky is a great way to describe the house. 

Trying to leash train the goats is hysterical.

Front door is fabulous, great first floor, they want to refresh the living room fireplace mantel.   There's a funky pantry/storage room in the living room, playroom is quirky with eyeballs their kids threw up there years ago.  Dining room needs a little vintage work.   Kitchen is horrible, and since it's the side entrance (in New England, Jon says people use the side doors, not the front door).  There's a full bathroom behind the kitchen wall, it's also the laundry room.     I love their coffee table with the sand and sea shells in it. 

He wants to rip the old fireplace out, replace it with something authentic, fix the kitchen, gut the bathroom, with a mud room and a better door to the outside, and move the laundry and pantry to the unused playroom.  Cost is estimated to be $150k.    The lobsterman was so interesting. 

In place of the pantry / storage in the living room, Kristina wants to put a speak easy in there, with black walls, and trim, and maybe go up to the ceiling (I hate that idea). Jon says they'll run it by the homeowners before they do that.  The homeowners will agree, I disagree.  I'm guessing it's the homeowner's idea originally. 

Bathroom is white marble brick pattern, all the way to the ceiling, with a pocket door with glass and needs to be frosted for privacy.    

I like the blue front door.    The bathroom was spectacular, and I didn't hate the speakeasy, and dark living room. 

I think the darker color might work because the paneling was white on the lower half of the wall. And it all depends on what kind of lighting they have in there. I loved the bathroom /mudroom also. The speakeasy pantry was a total waste. What are they storing in there just glasses and liquor?. And that woman was way too happy giddy about that ugly area. this is one couple where I can see where they had saved the money to do these renovations because that house didn’t look  nice at all. I don’t think they spent much money on it on all the years they were there. I can only imagine the other rooms upstairs to  be really ugly and un touched also.  I did not like the front of the house. It looks so off-center.  I can’t believe it was originally built like that. I was on the verge of a hissy fit when they were talking about tearing out the mantle until I realized & they pointed out it was not original and it did not fit the house and he did make a point of saying he was saving it. That horrible designer that he has as a sidekick was ready to trash it. I really wish they had a better professional instead of her,  she just rubs me the wrong way. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

John is having some legal issues concerning a barn on his property.

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/?p=2707439

After reading the article, I side with the trustees who oppose giving him amendments that totally ignore the rules that the trustees, and everyone else follow in the properties they oversee.     He sould have bought land that wasn't in the restricted area,   Maybe he should realize it was be cheaper to develop other land, instead of spending millions to get a variance he will never receive.     People who put land in a conservancy should know exactly what they're getting into, especially when someone buys land that's in restriction.    

Tonight's new episode "Colorful Victorian" 1800s Victorian in Marblehead, redone for the family and their two Great Danes.   Holly, and Jason are the owners. Only had three owners, beautiful house.   The living room moldings are spectacular.   Woodwork is fantastic.   There are no closets on the first floor.  THe built-in china closet is beautiful.  the sun room is bizarre, Laundry is in the basement, and the handrail on one side is rope, that's going to be moved to the first floor.     Kitchen is hideous, with a post in the middle of the room.   I wonder if the kitchen is an addition? 

Sun room will turn into storage, and part mudroom.   Kitchen will get new cabinets, and laundry will be behind kitchen, not in that hideous basement.  Budget is $175k to $225k.   

Jon goes to Las Vegas where Debbie Gibson and Joey McIntire are appearing (hope I got the names right). 

Jon goes to see Kristina's family's car collection.  What a fantastic collection of antique cars!     I love the tile mosaic with hexagonal tiles for the entry floor.  It's exactly what the homeowners asked for.   I like that the wallpaper coordinates with the foyer mosaic tile colors.    I don't like the change from the yellow front door to the brighter blue.   I love the new foyer, and the mudroom/coat closet, and the office wallpaper that coordinates with the floor mosaic tile. 

The dog bed area is cute, but I don't like the log wall.    OVerall, with the new kitchen, mud room, office and foyer, I really like what Jon and Kristina did. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

The kitchen cabinets should have been British racing green (or hunter green as it's also called), or the backsplash. Or both! Calling that episode the Colourful Victorian was false advertising. 

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Love 3

You would think that Mr Owner would have done something to look a bit better than looking like he has just gotten back from a showerless week long camping trip.    The decorator is becoming too jokey and kind of annoying.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Pine said:

You would think that Mr Owner would have done something to look a bit better than looking like he has just gotten back from a showerless week long camping trip.    The decorator is becoming too jokey and kind of annoying.

Yes! I was just going to say that. Get a friggin haircut dude ! The decorator has annoyed me since day one. She is terrible. I’m ff’d a lot of this show now from the unnecessary New Kids crap to this horrible little interior decorator pest. 

• Applause 1

I watched the end of Colorful Victorian, the kitchen cabinets, range hood, and stove were way darker than British Racing Green. 

New, "Salem Witch Trial House",They remodel the bedroom and bathroom of a home connect to the Salem witch trials, and Jon restores a 1950's farm stand.  This is the John Proctor House, his wife was accused of being a witch, he stood up for her and was hanged.  His wife eventually was released, remarried and that's the last anyone knows of her fate.  Their story was the basis of "The Crucible".   The house is a two story, very dark, house.    John and Elizabeth were cleared of the charges in 1711. 

https://salemwitchmuseum.com/locations/john-proctor-house/

The front stairs are narrow, original.     They're looking at a bad leak from the second floor bathroom, for the out of state homeowner.   Here's the website about it, it's been on a lot of TV shows.  The homeowner saw the house on a TV show, and felt compelled to buy it. 

The bathroom does have some plumbing issues, but the entire bathroom is ugly, 1970's awful remodel. Kristina must be kidding, she wants to paint the bathroom dark and moody to fit the era, they didn't have plumbing then. 

They look at the B&B that used to be the Stephen Daniels House built about the same era as the Proctor house.   

The bathroom is nice, but the shower tile is too dark, it will show every waterspot, and the same for the floor tile. 

I hate the dark paint on the fireplace surround, and mantle.    It looked more authentic before. 

The farmstand has  glass insert garage doors all around it, it will have seating, baked goods, kitchen area, retail.  They want to bring in chefs and do demonstrations. The couple want a big barn on their property.    Lee's Farm Market, they also have an assisted living building and memory care on the property and want to do equine therapy (miniature horses).  They want a two story barn, with the ponies on the first floor, and yoga and other activities on the second floor.    

I love the barn design place Jon goes to.  

The farmstand looks so inviting after remodeling.   It's sad to think some wanted to tear it down, and turn it into a strip mall.   The farmstand is gorgeous, and the barn is so beautiful.    However, I thought they wanted to put the first floor of the barn was supposed to be for miniature horses.    They're not going to get insurance to keep hay on the second floor of the 'barn'.   Also, I bet they'll need sprinkler and fire systems in the barn..  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

The farm stand looked staid and boring. What happened the unique ceiling? That barn should have been painted red on the outside.

And I really do not care about seeing the remodel on the farmstand! The show is getting really bad

I can't watch because I refuse to pay for yet another streaming channel. Sounds like I made the right decision.

Wonder if the decline in quality is because the show moved to HGTV or whatever corporation is now funding it.

2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I can't watch because I refuse to pay for yet another streaming channel.

According to the HGTV website, this show is on the regular HGTV cable channel. Next episode is Sunday at 2 pm (a repeat). Doesn't look like you need a streaming service to watch it. 🤷‍♀️

ETA: Just checked my on-screen line-up. They are doing a bunch of the shows on HGTV starting 2 pm tomorrow,

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I can't watch because I refuse to pay for yet another streaming channel. Sounds like I made the right decision.

Wonder if the decline in quality is because the show moved to HGTV or whatever corporation is now funding it.

Its only the second season and it has always been on HGTV. But I agree last season was better. 

On 8/31/2022 at 9:48 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

East Coast Farmhouse, West Coast Vibes, Season 2, episode 3 (I think the season 1 clip show last week was Season 2, episode 2).   He talks to Lindsay and Leslie from Unsellable Houses, he judged their kitchen on Rock the Block, and called the counter tops basic.    The house this week is a farmhouse reproduction from the 1970's.   The house is a mess on the outside.      The interior is 1970's old and outdated.  I'm questioning the quality of the original build.  The original house is now down to the studs.    There was nothing worth saving inside in my opinion, and I really wonder how structurally safe the house was when it was originally built.  

The segment about the rescue for farm animals was so adorable.   Also, the cameraman worried about Jon in the pen with the Emu.   His rabbit habitat for the homeowners was adorable.  

The before on the 70's house was hideous, and the after is adorable.  

OK, so I had never watched this show before, and tuned in about 1/3 of the way through a repeat of this episode shown yesterday.  What does Jon actually do?  He literally did not do any design work or construction or advising for the 2/3 of the show that I watched.  And I was sooo confused by when he encountered a man walking with his dog in his coat.  Their interaction was as though they were acquaintances, and he didn't seem to know that the guy had a dog or why the guy wasn't actually walking the dog.  But then I think the screen said something about this guy being Jon's husband?  It sure didn't look like it from the way they interacted with each other.  And if it was his husband, why didn't Jon know about the dog?  Can't say much about the house, because they showed very little "before" pictures at the reveal. But I did notice that he had removed the shutters, and I think it looked terrible.  It looked like some austere 1800s schoolhouse, and not at all inviting.

On the 1970's house, I suspect that the homeowners have a ton more input than they let on.  Some homeowners have terrible taste, and I bet Jon and Kristina have very little leeway with anything.    I think there was only so much he could change on the house, and I think the buyers made a huge mistake buying it.    Everything looked very cheap inside before, and I wonder if they had the electric, plumbing, etc inspected?    I wondered about the quality on everything on that house by the original builder.   

If I was looking for a house in that price bracket, I wouldn't have touched that house.   I think the cheap finishes indicate poor construction throughout. 

Tonight's new episode, "Knight Moves" Moving a 110-year-old house his family has owned for 20 years. across the road.  From the historic preservation area, to the unregulated area. (I guess this is one of the rules from the historic land preservation group, 1 house per property, linked above to Boston magazine).  After he has a company move the house across the road, Jon's going to move the kitchen.    The new kitchen won't have windows, I hate that.   I hope they repaint the green exterior.   

I like the new kitchen, the old one was so 70's hideous.   I like the yellow front door, but I would prefer the house exterior to be dark blue or anything but green.  I also can't stand Jon's mother's house exterior, dark purple.  I like the living room.    

I like the Boston Gardens seats in the mud room.   The floating duck house is cute. 

I also wish that the fact that he's color blind wasn't a running joke.  It's not funny, even though he seems to think it is. 

The property Jon lives on was purchased by his mother in 1999, and he bought the farm from her in 2015.    That land is under the historic preservation society mentioned in the Boston magazine article linked in a post from a while ago.  You can only have 1 residence on the property, so the house that was moved had to be either relocated, or torn down.     Jon's mother moved across the road on a separate property that he bought for her, but that one isn't in the preservation area, so they can move the green house there.  According to the magazine article he originally wanted to move his farmhouse further back from the road, and that started the problems with the preservation group. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I enjoyed last night's show. The best one so far this season. Liked seeing how close his family is. I loved the green exterior of the house. Does anyone know if Jon owns all this land or is it land that belonged to his family?

• Love 1

They just advertised that Jen Arnold, and Bill Klein from "The Little Couple" are looking for help with the kitchen on their new place in the Boston area, and Jon's working with them, it's in the usual time and day, Wednesday at 8 pm Central, and 9 pm Eastern. 

https://tvshowsace.com/2022/09/08/the-little-couple-jen-arnold-teases-new-kitchen-reveal/

It looks like it's redoing the kitchen on their home in Boston.   It's on the 19th. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Tonight is the season finale (next week we're back to Property Brothers: Forever Home episodes) with Jen and Bill from the Little Couple.   I'm sure Jen and Bill already bought it, but since I have no idea what their new place looks like, it will be fun to see the other houses.   Moving from first Houston, to St. Petersburg, to the Boston area, should be an interesting weather and snow change. 

They want 4 bedrooms. There are a lot of things that the couple need, if it's more than one story, or a raised house, they'll need an elevator.   They'll need the right size kitchen for their heights too, and I'm guessing a couple of bathrooms for the ensuite, and for the kids.   And an indoor pool (best form of exercise for their recovery from surgeries).   She would like something on the water. 

House 1-Hamilton, 1790s farmhouse, 5 bed 5 bath 5,000 sq ft, close to 2 acres. I love the house.   So many original features are left.   There's room for an elevator, but will still have a staircase.   House is listed at $1.395 million plus renos, about $1.6 total.  The age of the house might make it harder to add the elevator. 

House 2-(Essex, on the water, it's not for sale, it's Kristina's house.   To find out exactly what they want) Hampton Falls NH, on 7 acres, ocean and marsh views, but it's further north than the 1st house. 6 bed, 7 bath, 7 acres, $1.75 million.   45 minutes to Boston. Lovely house.   room for an elevator right in the foyer.   great kitchen. kitchen has indoor oven, I think it's gas.    Jen suggests lowering the island, putting an induction cook top in it, and leaving the other appliances alone.   There's an indoor pool.  They want to do the island and the elevator first, but if they only cut the ensuite cabinet down, and put in shorter toilets, maybe it would work.   Unless they intend to stay in Boston long term, only doing the necessary modifications for now might be sensible.   

I think they said that the Houston house needed a lot of changes before selling, to undo modifications, and I'm sure the St. Petersburg house did too. 

House 3-Natick, This house isn't done yet, it's a new build, it has a lot of drywall done, roughed in plumbing.   6500 sq ft, 6 bedrooms, 5.5 baths,  14 miles from Boston, so the shortest commute.    I like what Jon's thinking, they can build in the modifications they need, do the elevator, and pick their own finishes.   This would be so much easier to put in the elevator and other modifications and they can add character.  

Kristina suggests a multilevel counter island, with an induction cooktop. easy to customize the ensuite, kitchen, and bathrooms.  House is $1.5 mil. base price, and about 2 million with the elevator and other modifications.  As Jon pointed out about House #1, the 1790s house, putting an elevator into an old structure may be a nightmare. 

I love the old Mule and blanket chest Jon bought to be modified for the couple as a gift.   

They bought #3, which is so sensible. 6 months later the house is finished, with the multi level island, and elevator.   I don't know if they added a pool.   

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 10/19/2022 at 10:01 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tonight is the season finale (next week we're back to Property Brothers: Forever Home episodes) with Jen and Bill from the Little Couple.   I'm sure Jen and Bill already bought it, but since I have no idea what their new place looks like, it will be fun to see the other houses.   Moving from first Houston, to St. Petersburg, to the Boston area, should be an interesting weather and snow change. 

They want 4 bedrooms. There are a lot of things that the couple need, if it's more than one story, or a raised house, they'll need an elevator.   They'll need the right size kitchen for their heights too, and I'm guessing a couple of bathrooms for the ensuite, and for the kids.   And an indoor pool (best form of exercise for their recovery from surgeries).   She would like something on the water. 

House 1-Hamilton, 1790s farmhouse, 5 bed 5 bath 5,000 sq ft, close to 2 acres. I love the house.   So many original features are left.   There's room for an elevator, but will still have a staircase.   House is listed at $1.395 million plus renos, about $1.6 total.  The age of the house might make it harder to add the elevator. 

House 2-(Essex, on the water, it's not for sale, it's Kristina's house.   To find out exactly what they want) Hampton Falls NH, on 7 acres, ocean and marsh views, but it's further north than the 1st house. 6 bed, 7 bath, 7 acres, $1.75 million.   45 minutes to Boston. Lovely house.   room for an elevator right in the foyer.   great kitchen. kitchen has indoor oven, I think it's gas.    Jen suggests lowering the island, putting an induction cook top in it, and leaving the other appliances alone.   There's an indoor pool.  They want to do the island and the elevator first, but if they only cut the ensuite cabinet down, and put in shorter toilets, maybe it would work.   Unless they intend to stay in Boston long term, only doing the necessary modifications for now might be sensible.   

I think they said that the Houston house needed a lot of changes before selling, to undo modifications, and I'm sure the St. Petersburg house did too. 

House 3-Natick, This house isn't done yet, it's a new build, it has a lot of drywall done, roughed in plumbing.   6500 sq ft, 6 bedrooms, 5.5 baths,  14 miles from Boston, so the shortest commute.    I like what Jon's thinking, they can build in the modifications they need, do the elevator, and pick their own finishes.   This would be so much easier to put in the elevator and other modifications and they can add character.  

Kristina suggests a multilevel counter island, with an induction cooktop. easy to customize the ensuite, kitchen, and bathrooms.  House is $1.5 mil. base price, and about 2 million with the elevator and other modifications.  As Jon pointed out about House #1, the 1790s house, putting an elevator into an old structure may be a nightmare. 

I love the old Mule and blanket chest Jon bought to be modified for the couple as a gift.   

They bought #3, which is so sensible. 6 months later the house is finished, with the multi level island, and elevator.   I don't know if they added a pool.   

When can we see The Little Couple on Farmhouse Fixer. I think I've watched all of Season 2.

• Love 1
On 10/27/2022 at 2:15 PM, chediavolo said:

How long does it take for a show to be on demand? I still haven’t seen the season finale it’s not showing up on demand

Finally found it. I was so relieved they took the new build and weren’t going to destroy one of the beautiful staircases in those beautiful old very very very expensive homes. i’ve never seen the little couple show. I feel like giving it a try now because the wife seems so nice and the husband seems to be OK. I wonder if it’s anything like Little people big world? 

10 minutes ago, MMEButterfly said:

When can we see The Little Couple on Farmhouse Fixer. I think I've watched all of Season 2.

I found it on demand. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1