Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Frenemies - Chapter One: The Murder

tessaray
  • Start Topic

Air date:  August 31, 2022

With Starman back from the dead and her former super-villain enemies vowing to reform, Courtney is hopeful that there will finally be peace in Blue Valley. But when The Gambler arrives to town looking to make his own amends, the team find themselves at odds over whether he can be trusted.

The team is back!  And they're still completely unconcerned with being stealthy, because otherwise it would be insane to stroll through a trailer park in costume with a giant glowing staff.  It's nice to see everyone again though.  Now the countdown begins to when Courtney and Sylvester disagree on who should be wielding the staff in a big crisis.

There's still a lot of wiggle room with Sylvester's resurrection.  That's one heck of a connection to the staff if he can be resurrected to full health after a decade of rotting in a coffin and somehow manage to bust out and claw his way to the surface. 

• Love 2

"Coming to America" by Neil Diamond. I haven't heard that in ages.

Only one shot of Buddy. Does he have an alibi about where he was when Gambler got killed?

Man, Courtney is still the most Pollyanna person ever. And yet, it still doesn't wear thin. I think it speaks a lot on how good Brec is at the role. Courtney wants to see the potential good in everyone, even in the Crocks and Cindy . . . who wants in on the whole superhero deal without the whole "remorse" thing.

Shade is delightful as ever, though him going extra dark with Gambler in the restaurant and the bit afterward have me concerned that something from the comics might be happening to him. Also, as awesome as Richard can be, he is also way too powerful to not be taken off the board in some manner.

Movie theater is playing Nathaniel Dusk, P.I. That's a deep cut.

Well, Beth's parents haven't made her a costume yet. Small victory? And when Yolanda said that her parents might ship her to a boarding school, I was all, "You mean nunnery, right?"

RIP Gambler. Is his cremation gonna be regular or extra-crispy?

Stargirl is finally back!

Definitely kind of side-eying this whole return of Sylvester and being resurrected thing.  All of this feels a little too good to be true and I'm not sure how long this "sharing the Cosmic Staff" thing is going to last.  He might even be sincere about passing the torch, but deep down I don't know if he will be able to fully relinquish it.  Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I'm hoping Courtney keeps her guard up on that front.

So, it's safe to say that it won't be smooth sailing to integrate the villains with the heroes!  If your aren't dealing with the neighbors breaking into your house to make you healthy smoothies or casually threatening bodily harm if their daughter isn't allowed to join your child's super squad, you have to spend time making sure your own teammates don't take each other out.  No way are we not going to see Yolanda and Cindy come to blows at the rate they are going!  You better add some more ideas to your notes, Courtney!

Glad that The Shade is sticking around since he was one of the highlights of last season, but it seems that something odd is going on with his powers which is quite troubling!

Brief glimpse of Jakeem with the new Thunderbolt (now 100% more Seth Green!)

Luke Wilson continues to be perfection as Pat.

Fun seeing the Gambler again, but I had a feeling he was going to be the murder victim.  Curious to see how it plays out.  Cindy will obviously be a red herring, so I'm wondering who killed him.  Also have to imagine his long lost daughter will come into play.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Only one shot of Buddy. Does he have an alibi about where he was when Gambler got killed?

No doubt he was hanging out in the soundproof room that Barbara, Mike, and Sylvester were in when Crusher was using the juicer. 

For fans of the Arrowverse, a version of Becky Sharpe did pop up on the Flash a while back. 

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

For fans of the Arrowverse, a version of Becky Sharpe did pop up on the Flash a while back. 

Yeah, she was great.  Wish she would have been a recurring character who would help Team Flash from time to time.

Season 1 was the fun summer show, season 2 was a horror show, and season 3 is a who can you trust murder mystery (unfortunately with no Mabel, Oliver, and Charles in sight).  I like that they're changing it up this early into the show's run.

All the Crocks continue to be entertaining.  I still want a scene where the Crocks, Pat, Barb, Courtney, Mike, Yolanda, Beth, Rick, and Cindy are cheering on Artemis during a football game.

I will never object to Neil Diamond being used.

• Love 3

So the first season was the fun teen show, the second season was the moody horror show, and this season is the suspenseful mystery show. I really like that the show is always game to try different things, this season is going to be fun. Its great to have this show back again, a murder mystery sounds like its going to be a blast, even though its too bad that the Gambler had to die for there to be a murder mystery. I was happy to see him again and I am interested to see how genuine his reform really was. I hope that someone is taking care of Juniper! I would also be happy to see Becky Sharpe, she was a real kick on The Flash. 

I haven't heard Coming to America in quite some time, that was a great opener for the new season, catching up with just about everyone and showing how Blue Valley has changed and how its still the same, with everything seeming peaceful despite the many (possibly reformed) villains and heroes running around. I am so glad that the Shade is still around, being politely picky about his tea, he was one of the best things about last season, although it looks like his shadow powers might not be working so well, which is an issue when your literally made of shadows. 

The gang really do need to up their costume budget, everyone except for Courtney and Yolanda look like they’re getting ready for their first cosplays before they learn how to actually sew. I cant really blame everyone for being apprehensive about letting so many former bad guys onto the team, but I love that Courtney is such a sweet cinnamon roll that she wants to give everyone a chance.  She is even wiling to split being Stargirl/Starman with Sylvester, but I am not totally sure I trust him. How do we even know that this is the real Sylvester? O that something didn't get messed up in him when he came back from the dead? 

I love the Crocks, they're just so MUCH. Of course Crusher breaks into their house to get Pat back on his workout routine and to make him a smoothie, truly his most evil act of villainy yet! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

I didn't know that the show was back so soon until someone on Twitter mentioned it. So I recorded the LA feed.

One does not hear Neil Diamond on TV very often. The show still remains quirky and has again re-invented itself. Nothing the same-old.

Sylvester is very much a wildcard right now. Does he have good intentions? Will he take the staff? Courtney is still too decent with people, and hoping that there is a good side. The Cronks are silly, unexpected neighbors. Making a health smoothie? Erm, no, it didn't sound that tasty.

Luke Wilson looked good with the facial hair.

Nice to see The Shade again. The tea being too scaldingly hot was funny.

Cindy's mom is a bit much. I don't know if Cindy can embrace a different side. I don't think that she is the murderer. Too easy and convenient. And Court, maybe not walk around an RV park with the glowing staff. Learn some subtlety and stealth. Not go forward with a giant spotlight.

11 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

One does not hear Neil Diamond on TV very often.

Anyone else have “Coming to America” stuck in their heads today? My parents had the soundtrack from The Jazz Singer, and that’s the one song I remember. The weird thing: it’s basically about immigrants coming to America, but it fit the cold open very well.

Edited by Lantern7

I was a little disappointed with last season, so I wasn't looking forward to this as much as I might have been.  But the episode was enjoyable, I'm excited about the show again.  I think there's a dark turn for Starman here somewhere along the line.  

Aside from the facial hair, did Luke Wilson lose some weight?  He looks leaner.  Maybe he's on the superhero diet.

23 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

It certainly won't be the one from the comics.

I guess that was the reference when Beth was nixing the black and yellow costume because those were Hourman's colors.

• Useful 1

Yay! Stargirl's back!

They certainly set up some potential conflicts for later, but I'm glad it seems like this season won't be as dark as the last one.

The Crocks are kind of over-the-top, but I think they'll be fun trying to fit in as reformed villains.

Yeah, something is suspect about Starman, but on the other hand, I don't think the Staff would work for him if it wasn't really him.

As for the surveillance, last season teased that skull guy at the end, so I assume that's him and whoever he's working with.

I don't know how much I want to speculate about The Gambler's murder, because I know they are going to be throwing several red herrings at us until the end.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Anyone else have “Coming to America” stuck in their heads today? My parents had the soundtrack from The Jazz Singer, and that’s the one song I remember. The weird thing: it’s basically about immigrants coming to America, but it fit the cold open very well.

Yeah, I've had it stuck in my head since the episode.  Not complaining, there are far worse songs to be stuck in your head than one from Neil Diamond.

1 hour ago, Trini said:

The Crocks are kind of over-the-top, but I think they'll be fun trying to fit in as reformed villains.

I think them being over the top is one of the reasons I like them.  They've been evil but they're so over the top and fun, and they're good parents to Artemis.  Also, they really want to be friends with Pat and Barb.  They have more fun with Pat and Barb than they did with their ISA buddies.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Jediknight said:

I think them being over the top is one of the reasons I like them.  They've been evil but they're so over the top and fun, and they're good parents to Artemis.  Also, they really want to be friends with Pat and Barb.  They have more fun with Pat and Barb than they did with their ISA buddies.

Absolutely, especially Crusher.  The JSA should take advantage and try to learn some valuable skills.  Beth in particular needs some training if she's going to keep heading out there or she's going to spend all of her time hiding in a corner when a real fight breaks out.

• Love 1
On 9/2/2022 at 1:28 PM, Frozendiva said:

Luke Wilson looked good with the facial hair.

I concur and hopefully it stays all season

On 9/1/2022 at 11:03 AM, AimingforYoko said:

I can't decide if Sylvester is just kind of a jackass or something more nefarious.

I'm in the same boat, and I have a feeling its McHale's acting that is causing the issue for me. A stronger actor may have been able to blur the line a bit better than what he was doing. So at the moment I'm leaning more towards nefarious than jackass.

On 9/2/2022 at 7:31 AM, tennisgurl said:

I haven't heard Coming to America in quite some time, that was a great opener for the new season, catching up with just about everyone

I was getting very strong vibes of "Belle" from Beauty and the Beast with the opening which I quite enjoyed. Although I was disappointed that Cameron did not make an appearance as we zoomed around the town.

With the cancellation of Legends of Tomorrow, it's great to have this show back. I know the show is called Stargirl but since the beginning this really has been a team show like Legends. And I think its the fact that every season is a different vibe that makes it constantly feel fresh. I hope the writers are prepared to drop us clues so we can solve the murder during the season and that its not a random left field killer that there were no clues for.

11 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Yeah, I've had it stuck in my head since the episode.  Not complaining, there are far worse songs to be stuck in your head than one from Neil Diamond.

Once I worked out the song, I have had the Glee version running through my head and even went to YouTube to wathc their performance- I don't know why please don't ban me

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I hope the writers are prepared to drop us clues so we can solve the murder during the season and that its not a random left field killer that there were no clues for.

I think the murder has more to do with the group that stole the Green Lantern's daughter's brother, since they probably setup the cameras around town to keep track of all the superpowered individuals and the Gambler stumbled upon their hidden camera feed.

• Useful 1

This episode sets up three questions.  Who hired the Gambler's old gang?  Who set up the cameras?  Who killed the Gambler?  If I were writing the show, these questions would have different answers.  The gang is the obvious first lead to investigate.  The suggestion that the Crocks were setting up an audition for Artemis seems reasonable.  Maybe they even own the location where the gang was acting so they were robbing from themselves and not committing a real crime.  Wrapping that up would perhaps lead to discovery of the cameras and maybe we find out more about skullheaded Mister Bones.  And of course, whoever set up the cameras has footage of all the people who visited the Gambler and maybe had arguments with him before he discovers the camera, so those are leads to be investigated.  The Shade and Pat are likely candidates.

There are two other questions.  Why was the Gambler killed?  Find out who and you likely find out why.  Where is Becky Sharpe?  I think that might be related to why and it might not be any of the villains allegedly trying to reform who are behind everything.

Or Starman.  I guess that's the sixth question.  What's the deal with Starman?  Maybe he is the real thing brought back to life, not by the staff but by something more nefarious.  I'd like for the answer to be magic, to be explored in season 4, because that means we get a season 4.

We heard a growl when the Gambler reached for the camera and the trailer was smashed.  We're probably going to find out next episode that Grundy's body is gone and he's going to be a suspect, as well.  How can Hourman defend Grundy and not be willing to give Shiv and Artemis a chance?

• Like 1