Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: National Finals in Vegas (Stage 1.1)

• Start Topic

The top finishers from the regional finals travel to Las Vegas to face a four-stage obstacle course modeled after Japan's Mount Midoriyama, attempting Stage One, which includes such new obstacles as the Piston Road and Silk Slider.

I think we can come up with a new verb . . . Akbaring. That's when you get way too into milestones . . . like a woman completing the Jumping Spider, for instance. Sure, Matt got into it too, but when I was rewinding the DVR, it was Akbar I was laughing at. Impressive performance from Meagan, though she bled way too much time prepping for the obstacle. And she managed to complete the Halfpipe Attack before time ran out. It should be interesting to see how Kacy does next week, and whether two minutes and change would be enough for her. Oh, right . . . the Emmys are next week. Why can't NBC move the show to another time? Don't they know that they're killing ANW momentum?

I was impressed by the final runner, Joe the Weatherman. Second-fastest time, and he didn't break any obstacles doing it.

How many participants competed on the course? Forty? Fifty?

How many participants competed on the course? Forty? Fifty?

It was 45.  The other 45 go in 2 weeks.

Akbar was cracking me up during Meagan's run.  He was getting way too excited but it was cute to see.  He has really loosened up compared to when he first started.

I wonder how far she would have got had she had more time. And yeah it was funny how excited he got when she completed that obstacle.

How do they decide who goes in as a wildcard?

I'd like to know how they do the wildcards too - I felt like I watched this show so much this season (re-plays of all the finals, etc.), but was pretty unfamiliar w/ a lot of the contestants last night, and most of them were the wildcards.

My favorite to go far is that Isaac C rock-climber from Denver (caldiero?) - he seems to have the most potential of all the top contenders to me.

• Love 1

In retrospect, the time limit did not seem to have much of an effect overall on the sheer number of finishers, so I wish that the producers had not added in that complication. However, they had to make a decision before any of the competitors ran the course, and could not have anticipated how few finishes there would be on the first night of competition for Stage One.

If they do not have "enough" finishers after Stage One to make for a robust field for Stage Two, do they draw wildcards and/or advance a certain number who got the furthest the fastest? And how many episodes do they have left to air, anyway?

I am new to the show but I don't like the time limit, it seems stupid with only 9 people completing the course.  Why not make it just the Top "fill in a number here" that finish go to the next round.  I think this is what leads to the competitors trying to be the fastest in the qualifiers and finals, which leads to all the alumns being knocked out this year

The time limit is de rigeur in Japan, in the first, second and fourth stages. And I think those that were rushing in the prelims were trying to go for bonus money . . . or at least that's the impression that I got. Also, about half the field hasn't gone yet, so there will be more then nine people qualifying for the second stage.

I was not happy they tried interviewing that guy who was so upset he was crying. Just let him be show.

I felt bad for him - I have yet to see anyone that upset on the show in all the episodes I've watched - most people take it like a champ even if they totally mess up.

The time limit is de rigeur in Japan, in the first, second and fourth stages. And I think those that were rushing in the prelims were trying to go for bonus money . . . or at least that's the impression that I got. Also, about half the field hasn't gone yet, so there will be more then nine people qualifying for the second stage.

Exactly. This episode is what the original show most resembles, with the time limit and all but the first two obstacles copies of the Japanese course.  Everything we've seen before is cleverly conceived filler designed to stretch what was a three hour TV special into 20+ hours of summer programming.  The first round typically has from 6-18 or so of 100 competitors pass, though it's been as few as 2 and as many as 30+.  The second round, which will feature the Salmon Ladder, usually eliminates half of the remaining competitors.  And the third round, which has no time limit and features all "hang off of an obstacle by your hands forever" obstacles usually eliminates almost everyone left.  There might be no one by the end who qualifies to tackle the fourth round. No one has gotten that far in the two years of the full US version, and no American visiting the Japanese course has gotten to the end.

The Silk Slider was pretty devious. It managed to eliminate a lot of good contestants.

Megan did really well on her run.  If she can practice her Spider Walk, she might have a chance to pass the first stage. We know she can do the warped wall. I hope Kacy can clear the first stage, but the Spider Jump could eliminate anyone. If she does mount it right, we've seen her Spider Climb quickly, so time shouldn't be a problem for her if she has a clean run.  The time limit was pretty generous.

It's funny that they film this at night.  That and no one having numbers lets them edit things in any order they want. The Japanese version films in a day, with all the competitors wearing numbers from 1 to 100.  So they show things in order, though of course they skip a lot of people.

Did they announce who the wild cards were going to be? I missed the Best Runs ep (darn kids watched without me and accidentally deleted it). I noticed Rob Moravsky, Meagan, and... maybe the vampire guy? But I was wondering if there was any kind of official announcement.

I'm worried about Kacy and the Warped Wall, as well as the time limitation.  She did brilliantly on the Finals Course, but she really took her time.  I'm hoping that both she and Jon Stewart make it through.

Abel Gonzalez has very sad eyes.  I was glad to see him doing well.  I felt badly for the devastated guy and wanted to give him a hug.  I was very happy for Meagan.  So was Akbar.  I think she could definitely make it all of the way through the course with a little more practice.

I could also do without all of the backstories, although the ninjas interacting with their little ones was adorable.

I am new to the show but I don't like the time limit, it seems stupid with only 9 people completing the course.

This is why only 3 people have ever beaten the course(with one guy beating it twice) in about 30ish Ninja Warrior Competitions.  The course is designed to eliminate you, the time limit is designed to eliminate you.  I don't think the show would have the same following if it didn't have the time limits and tough obstacles and people were beating it every year.

Like another poster said, one season only 2 people made it past the first stage and both of them were eliminated on the salmon slider in stage 2(I believe that was the first year they had the american ninja warrior competition from G4 that sent competitors[just 2 or 3 I think] to run the main course in Japan).

And when people do beat it, they make it even tougher the next year.  Just look at early seasons versions of the cliff hanger compared to the monstrosity that it is today.

I think the US producers sometimes make it out to be a competition against other competitors, when in reality at its heart, Ninja Warrior is a competition against the course.

• Love 1

I think the US producers sometimes make it out to be a competition against other competitors, when in reality at its heart, Ninja Warrior is a competition against the course.

I would say the opposite actually. I think the show does a very good job in demonstrating the community around Ninja Warrior that has developed between competitors. They regularly show competitors cheering each other on, they mention it when competitors are training buddies or train at each other's gyms and they show competitors heartily congratulating or consoling each other at the end of the course. I've never gotten the sense that anyone sees each other as huge rivals...more like comrades in arms. 

After seeing the brutal city qualifying and finals courses, it was a nice change of pace to see a relatively "easy" Stage 1 course. Easy in that the course was mostly about testing agility with very few upper body strength obstacles. Those are the ones that always impress the hell out of me. I can't wait to see what Stage 2 looks like!

• Love 1

I was not happy they tried interviewing that guy who was so upset he was crying. Just let him be show.

It was worse because Jenn brought up the fact that he'd said he was doing it for his son, and then just sort of left it there as he broke down. I mean, come on, if you're going to start out that way, at least say "I know he'll be proud of you" or "when he gets older he's going to be so excited to see your spirit" or something. Don't just say, "So I know you were wanting to do this for your son...." and let the guy fill in mentally "and you FAILED."

I think Isaac is my favorite competitor at this point. I don't like the grandstanders, and he does like to strike a pose, but he does it after he knows he's done something. Too many of the others do it at the starting line and then fall on the 3rd obstacle or something.

• Love 1

Idiots with quirks and gimmicks deserve what happens to them.

Take Lance Pekus. Sure he ditches the hat, but the moron was STILL doing the course in jeans, and with his shirt distractingly tucked into a pocket.  I have no doubt, not a bit, that one or both of those factors made him miss the Jumping Spider "catch".

It's no different than the "go faster" morons.  If you let your "image" stuff get in the way, you have already lost my respect, and jeans and the pocket-tucked shirt (so he can go bare chested but have his city colors on him) is image just as much as the damn hat.

Idiot.

• Love 2
I think the show does a very good job in demonstrating the community around Ninja Warrior that has developed between competitors.

Agreed. That's what I like about it (and why I think it's good for my kids to watch). The competitors aren't out to screw each other over--they're happy when other athletes succeed, and bummed when they don't. 

Was I the only one that was hoping he would tell her off. Seriously I don't like her. She seems like she is all about how the person failed, or if they get through and are celebrating with their family/friends she pulls them away right a way.

• Love 1

Was I the only one that was hoping he would tell her off. Seriously I don't like her. She seems like she is all about how the person failed, or if they get through and are celebrating with their family/friends she pulls them away right a way.

In all fairness, that's her job.  If she didn't ask the people who failed about their failure, or ask the people who succeeded about their success, she'd get fired.

• Love 2

Yeah, but she decided to back off on her own.  It's not like they head into an interview knowing someone will be unable to stop crying (even if they see a bit on approach most people can suck it up). and when it became clear he wasn't going to stop, she backed off.  So I personally won't criticize her for doing what appeared to be the right thing.

• Love 2

Did they announce who the wild cards were going to be? I missed the Best Runs ep (darn kids watched without me and accidentally deleted it). I noticed Rob Moravsky, Meagan, and... maybe the vampire guy? But I was wondering if there was any kind of official announcement.

I don't think a formal announcement was made, but if it helps, I've kept a list of the wildcards so far:  Melanie Hunt, Amy Pajcic, Lorin Ball, Michelle Warnky, and Meagan Martin.  Those are the ones that have participated.  Rob Moravsky is one.  The vampire guy made the final 15 in his city finals.

I thought I saw "Baby Ninja Warrior" in the group picture of the 90 participants.

Yeah, but she decided to back off on her own.  It's not like they head into an interview knowing someone will be unable to stop crying (even if they see a bit on approach most people can suck it up). and when it became clear he wasn't going to stop, she backed off.  So I personally won't criticize her for doing what appeared to be the right thing.

I think she handled him very sympathetically.  When she saw that he wouldn't be able to do an interview, she ended it. 

Personally, I think Jen has the harder job and she does it very well.  I'd want to touch some six packs.

• Love 1

I don't think a formal announcement was made, but if it helps, I've kept a list of the wildcards so far:  Melanie Hunt, Amy Pajcic, Lorin Ball, Michelle Warnky, and Meagan Martin.  Those are the ones that have participated.  Rob Moravsky is one.  The vampire guy made the final 15 in his city finals.

Ah yes, Lorin Ball.  It made my blood boil that one of the "go fast because I can" losers got a wildcard.  I was yelling "Fuck you, show" at the screen when I saw that. 

I even get that going fast has a legitimate place in the Vegas round.  But the rage is because of the attitude these guys showed in an earlier round where doing it was just wasteful and arrogant.  

Agreed. That's what I like about it (and why I think it's good for my kids to watch). The competitors aren't out to screw each other over--they're happy when other athletes succeed, and bummed when they don't.

While I agree that the actual competitors aren't trying to screw each other over, I do feel that the US producers are trying to make it more of a competition between people.  I think that's what they really want.  Otherwise there would have never been a US vs Japan show.  Instead we would have gotten a much better US and Japanese All-Star competitors take on the course show.  Which I think would have been much better.

One reason why I love sharing this with my DD is both the good sportsmanship and the fact that, ultimately, almost everyone (everyone, so far, out of the US competitors) will fail at some point, so success is defined as improving, getting past that obstacle you fell on last year, finishing the finals course when last year you were a wildcard, and so on.

And hubris usually leads to a fall.

• Love 1

Krumm...Idiots with quirks and gimmicks deserve what happens to them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.  The ones in costume bug the hell out of me, especially Ninja Baby.  I want the contestants to have fun but that's just ridiculous.  If you have social anxiety than see a shrink or pop a Xanax.

I don't make a habit of watching the show but if I run across it I watch it and usually enjoy it.  I get annoyed though when the camera pans in and the contestant slowly lifts their head.  It's just silly IMO.