Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Hello Darkness

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

I admit I'm no authority, but it would seem unlikely to me that a detective would moonlight as a guard...wouldn't that more likely be an officer who hadn't yet reached the rank of detective?

I would agree with you, but I'm just saying we don't know anything about his family situation, it may be necessary to have extra income.  But unlikely in normal circumstances, I agree!

2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I admit I'm no authority, but it would seem unlikely to me that a detective would moonlight as a guard...wouldn't that more likely be an officer who hadn't yet reached the rank of detective?

A detective on Castle moonlighted as a bouncer. Maybe it's more common in NYC because of exorbitant living expenses.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

A detective on Castle moonlighted as a bouncer. Maybe it's more common in NYC because of exorbitant living expenses.

And on SWAT Deac worked security on the side cuz he's got like 5 kids (in LA).

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Kreps might be head of security, scheduling shifts, hiring cops as security guards, running background checks on potential employees, things that don't require him to physically be at the job, to do the job.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2022 at 4:17 PM, Cranberry said:

I think a lot of people might know the song from the Disturbed cover from 2015 (which is actually really good). Wikipedia says, "Their cover hit number one on the Billboard Hard Rock Digital Songs and Mainstream Rock charts, and is their highest-charting song on the Hot 100, peaking at number 42." Pentatonix also did a cover in 2019 that has more than 127 million views on YouTube.

I was going to post the same thing about the Disturbed version.  I think that may be the best cover of any song I've ever heard.  

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, mansonlamps said:
On 8/13/2022 at 5:17 PM, Cranberry said:

I think a lot of people might know the song from the Disturbed cover from 2015...

...I think that may be the best cover of any song I've ever heard.  

Wow. I'd never heard that version.
Also (cheatsheet.com/entertainment/simon-garfunkels-paul-simon-reacted-disturbeds-cover-the-sound-of-silence.html)--

Why Disturbed covered ‘The Sound of Silence’

According to NPR, Disturbed’s drummer, Mike Wengren, had the idea for his band to cover “The Sound of Silence.” Lead singer David Draiman said Wengren’s idea came from his childhood. “It had been something that his family had played in the background when it was time to do chores at home,” he revealed. Disturbed felt they needed to adopt a gentler sound in order to cover “The Sound of Silence.”

For Draiman, the change in sound was not unfamiliar. He had been trained as a canto when he was younger; a canto leads prayers in Jewish congregations. “I hadn’t attempted to go to that spot of my vocal ability for many years,” he recalled. “Listening to the way my vocals sounded in that beautiful bed of music — and not having heard my voice in that way for so long — it was really just very, very overwhelming.”

What Paul Simon thought of Disturbed’s cover

According to Ultimate Classic Rock, Disturbed performed the cover on Conan. Simon sent Draiman an e-mail praising the cover. “Really powerful performance on Conan the other day,” Simon wrote. “First time I’d seen you do it live. Nice, Thanks.”

Draiman responded. “Mr. Simon, I am honored beyond words,” he wrote. “We only hoped to pay homage and honor to the brilliance of one of the greatest songwriters of all time. Your compliment means the world to me/us and we are eternally grateful.”

I did love the way they used the song in the episode, and the choice of the first line for the episode title.
And thank you, @Kiddvideo, for affirming my thoughts re this:

On 8/15/2022 at 9:58 PM, Kiddvideo said:

If I may, I don’t pretend to speak for all New Yorkers, but “Sound of Silence” is one of ours. Simon and Garfunkel might be huge stars, but they’re boys from Queens. We know the words.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

One other thing I have found with singing is not everyone needs to know the words. If I was asked to write out lyrics I wouldn't be able to but I can quite happily sing along when it comes on the radio. And get most of the words right :)

• Wink 1
  • Love 2

It's funny that the Arconiacs have their own fancast. I do think the podcast has been downplayed a little this season, which I don't mind.

lol, it's like the writers heard the Marv theories.

Ivan bringing Oliver all the dips 😄 That little noise he made... the man loves dips

Sevelyn is adorable. They better not hurt that kitty cat.

I didn't expect Ursula to have such a strong voice. I know there are a bunch of theater people hidden in the cast, but usually I recognize them.

Thank goodness Lucy found them before the killer found any of them.

I thought Mabel was grabbing the dips for Oliver but using them as a weapon also works

Ooh, I recognize that actor from A Strange Loop. A shame Howard's blackout date didn't work out. But I'm glad he found the bravery to ask him out for real. So wholesome.

Idk... Rapaport seems too tall. But his shoulder hurt and he had red glitter on his neck. Will they invent a reasonable explanation next episode?

Only, I thought all New Yorkers walk a lot, so I wasn't sure why he was having so much trouble.

Stairs are much tougher cardio than walking. You're using different muscles to pull yourself up. Also, it is bad on the knees. 

The sneezing's a red herring.  It's a secret corridor with a lot of cobwebs and dust, people will sneeze.  It's not Howard's new boyfriend.

Good point. It's surprising no one else sneezed with all the dust and cobwebs. The passageways have been very good for Halloween vibes. 

I’m way late to the party, but I’m just catching this show as my morning treadmill show. I really love it, & am amazed at the chemistry of the cast. Selena Gomez is so young, but she holds her own against 2 Hollywood elite heavyweights. With 2 episodes left, I’m still feeling Alice, she’s just all-around shady. 

Really, though, stopping in to comment on everyone knowing all of the words to “Sounds of Silence”. I’ve heard it several times, but it wasn’t until my kids watched “Trolls” on an endless loop, while we were in our vehicle, that I learned all of the words. I’m guessing other parents, like me, know it, verbatim, from that. 

On 8/9/2022 at 5:51 AM, phalange said:

Also the lazy, rich Arconians refusing to use the stairs and hanging out in the lobby getting drunk on Gut Milk instead.

To be honest, I'd be with them, too. Why go up x-number of flights of stairs in the dark to sit in my dark apartment when I could stay in the lobby with company. Perhaps I'd eventually have to make that trek in the dark, but if I could go up with a group, that would be better. Hard no on the Gut Milk for me, though - don't care for milk of any kind, so it would have to be more than "lightly alcoholic" to persuade me.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, KittyQ said:

To be honest, I'd be with them, too. Why go up x-number of flights of stairs in the dark to sit in my dark apartment when I could stay in the lobby with company. Perhaps I'd eventually have to make that trek in the dark, but if I could go up with a group, that would be better. Hard no on the Gut Milk for me, though - don't care for milk of any kind, so it would have to be more than "lightly alcoholic" to persuade me.

But what about when you have to use the toilet?
Would you rather already be up 4+ flights?

Sure, enjoy the gathering for a bit.
Just don't wait too long. 😉

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But what about when you have to use the toilet?
Would you rather already be up 4+ flights?

Sure, enjoy the gathering for a bit.
Just don't wait too long. 😉

Well, there is that. :-) I hope that there's a bathroom somewhere on the lobby level for the people who work there, like the doorman. 

• Fire 1