Type keyword(s) to search

Media for So Help Me Todd: Not Private Investigations

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 4/23/2024 at 8:04 AM, wanderingstar said:

I hope this show gets picked up à la Girls5Eva, which was cancelled by Peacock, but picked up by Netflix. This show came to my attention after I started watching Elsbeth, and I ended up liking So Help Me Todd slightly better. 

I agree that in some ways the show is a slightly odd fit for procedural-heavy CBS. BUT, the characters do solve a mystery every week, so...

Surprised the network wouldn't put this on Paramount+. That's how I caught up with the show, so it seems like a good fit for streaming.

The thing with rare pickups after cancellation. The ball has to start rolling right away behind the scenes. Remember contracts expire, sets get destroyed and props get sold off. Pay also changes. If it were moving to streaming. That's something that would be happening right now, not 6 months from now.  Everything has be ironed out before the deal is sealed. Remember the cancelled "Silence of the Lambs" prequel "Clarice" also on CBS was going to move to Paramount+ but that was also cancelled because ViacomCBS & MGM couldn't come to an agreement. I was glad it was moving because it could be more R rated like the source material. 

Edited by Simba122504
Typo
  • Like 1
On 4/21/2024 at 6:58 AM, shapeshifter said:

I’m reaching the Acceptance stage of mourning this show.
This show will likely appear on lists of “Shows Cancelled Too Soon.”

BrainDead (2016) is the show that comes to my mind as the prime example of a show that should have continued.
Like So Help Me Todd, it had A-listers in its cast.

I suppose the Writers Strike didn’t help So Help Me Todd either.

Still missing BrainDead. Fabulous show! 

• Hugs 1
(edited)

Looks like So Help Me Todd's time slot is being taken by the new Matlock reboot this fall...

CBS Will Finally Debut Strike-Delayed Shows
By Bill Bradley   May 2, 2024
https://www.adweek.com/convergent-tv/cbs-debut-strike-delayed-shows/ 

CBS Fall 2024-25 Schedule
(New programs in ALL CAPS; times are ET)

THURSDAY
8 p.m. — GEORGIE & MANDY’S FIRST MARRIAGE
8:30 p.m. — Ghosts
9 p.m. — Matlock
10 p.m. — Elsbeth

Edited by tv echo

(From episode thread):

*sigh* I’m really going to miss this show. I laughed harder at this episode than I’ve laughed at tv in awhile.  I’m not sure how Elsbeth got renewed, tbh. I couldn’t make it 15 mins, and what I’ve seen of the new Matlock show doesn’t seem promising either. 

Apparently Elsbeth gets slightly better ratings. But I absolutely refuse to ever watch that show. Not only am I bitter that it's been renewed over Todd (they seem live very similar shows), but the incessant and intrusive promo spots for it have made me hate it without ever seeing it. They pop up at the bottom of the screen during every single CBS show I watch. It's like the only thing CBS is plugging. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

Looks like So Help Me Todd's time slot is being taken by the new Matlock reboot this fall...

CBS Will Finally Debut Strike-Delayed Shows
By Bill Bradley   May 2, 2024
https://www.adweek.com/convergent-tv/cbs-debut-strike-delayed-shows/ 

So, it seems like CBS cannot do anything an hour long that isn't a standard dramatic procedural. It makes me a little upset that So Help Me Todd was cancelled when I see the promos for the new shows on CBS. 

• Like 4
14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

(From episode thread):

Apparently Elsbeth gets slightly better ratings. But I absolutely refuse to ever watch that show. Not only am I bitter that it's been renewed over Todd (they seem live very similar shows), but the incessant and intrusive promo spots for it have made me hate it without ever seeing it. They pop up at the bottom of the screen during every single CBS show I watch. It's like the only thing CBS is plugging. 

I have never seen anything TGW related, but I decided to check out "Elsbeth." It has a lot of stunt casting and I can see that wearing thin as the series goes on. Most focus is on, "What big star is going to appear next?!" than the actual plots of the episodes. CBS confirmed it was never moving to Paramount+ and I don't see another streaming network (especially after the strikes) picking it up. Miracles do happen now and then.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Ratings: 9-1-1 Dips With #Madney Wedding, Still Ties for Thursday Demo Win
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 3, 2024 
https://tvline.com/ratings/ghosts-finale-viewers-season-2-1235228725/ 

CBS | Young Sheldon (with 7.2 million total viewers and a 0.5 demo rating) was up in both measures, Ghosts (6 mil/0.5, average TVLine reader grade “A”, read post mortem) was steady with its Season 2 finale, So Help Me Todd (4.2 mil/0.3) dropped some eyeballs, and Elsbeth (4.2 mil/0.3) rose in the demo.

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Ratings: 9-1-1 Dips With #Madney Wedding, Still Ties for Thursday Demo Win

Well I don't imagine cancelling a show is going to improve its ratings.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

May TV Calendar: 70+ Season and Series Finale Dates to Save!
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 4, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/tv-schedule-2024-may-finale-dates-calendar/bob-hearts-abishola-series-finale-ncis-hawaii/ 

THURSDAY, MAY 16
8 pm Law & Order Season 23 finale (NBC)
8 pm Young Sheldon series finale (CBS, two episodes; spinoff ordered)
9 pm Farmer Wants a Wife Season 2 finale (Fox)
9 pm Law & Order: SVU Season 25 finale (NBC)
9 pm So Help Me Todd series finale (CBS)
10 pm Law & Order: Organized Crime Season 4 finale (NBC; moving to Peacock?)

• Sad 1

Thursday Ratings: Farmer Wants a Wife Season 2 Ends on High Note
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 10, 2024 
https://tvline.com/ratings/young-sheldon-viewers-george-dies-final-season-1235237868/ 

CBS | Ahead of next week’s series finale, a double helping of Young Sheldon (with 6.7 million viewers/0.4 demo rating, then 6.8 mil/0.5) was down a bit in audience steady week-to-week; watch the cast react to tragic twist. So Help Me Todd (4.4 mil/0.3) added a few eyeballs, while Elsbeth (4.2 mil/0.2 matched its demo low.

• Useful 1

Probably not the eleventh hour miracle that would save So Help Me Todd (more likely to tank it if it hadn't been already?), but Stephen Colbert announced Thursday night that Paramount is on the auction block: youtu.be/dyXScuEoGrE?si=DzF1AA5zBqA77D5K&t=418

Deadline gives a deep dive into the history of the company's past breakups, which don't seem terribly relevant: deadline.com/2024/05/paramount-sale-hollywood-studio-takeover-history-lessons-1235910245

IDK. Business is not my forté.

• Useful 1

I'll miss this show. Though it has lacked direction this season (I'll blame that on them dropping Ira Madison III from the writing staff), but still, it's charming. I like the addition of Heather Morris: she's giving Sandra Bullock in her "While You Were Sleeping" days. I always like seeing Marcia Gay Harden, even if the networks don't (It seems like Uncoupled won't get a second season after all). I really miss the days when quirky shows had a chance. But CBS, even without Les Moonves is hooked on military procedurals. How many Naval crimes can there be?

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

In the past few days I have received several emails about So Help Me Todd via change.org.  Have other folks received these?  I don't object to the messages but I wonder how they got my email address.  I have not posted about SHMT anywhere besides here, IIRC.

7 hours ago, Driad said:

In the past few days I have received several emails about So Help Me Todd via change.org.  Have other folks received these?  I don't object to the messages but I wonder how they got my email address.  I have not posted about SHMT anywhere besides here, IIRC.

Did you sign the petition to keep SHMT going?  That is change.org.

• Like 2
(edited)

Three interviews with series creator Scott Prendergrast...

‘So Help Me Todd’ Series Finale: Why The CBS Drama Ended On An (Awkward!) Cliffhanger & What Would Have Happened To Margaret And Her Son
By Lynette Rice   May 16, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/05/so-help-me-todd-series-finale-cliffhanger-creator-interview-1235919972/ 

‘So Help Me Todd’ Boss Planned 5 More Seasons — What Would’ve Happened
Meredith Jacobs   May 16, 2024 
https://www.tvinsider.com/1136259/so-help-me-todd-series-finale-recap-merritt-folding-casting-margaret-framed/ 

So Help Me Todd Creator Unpacks Series Finale Cliffhanger, Shares Plans for Cancelled Season 3 (and Beyond)
BY ANDY SWIFT   MAY 16, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/so-help-me-todd-finale-ending-explained-season-3-plans/so-help-me-todd-season-3-folding/ 

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1

I really liked Prendergrast's plans for how the show would have unfolded over the next five years.

I particularly liked the idea of Allison becoming a detective and also liked that Todd and Susan would eventually get back together.

And now we'll never see it.💔

• Like 1

I'm still bitter about this. I know it isn't rational, but I hope whatever show they dumped Todd for tanks in the ratings this fall.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

I am bitter that they chose to renew Elsbeth and not SHMT.  Elsbeth is okay but it is so one-note  compared to the complexities of SHMT.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I'm still bitter about this. I know it isn't rational, but I hope whatever show they dumped Todd for tanks in the ratings this fall.

Matlock with Kathy Bates.

• Like 2

A random thought -- pardon if it's been shared elsewhere -- but I wonder if the decision to cancel was related to the relationship between the show's ratings versus the cast salaries. I suspect MGH and Skyler did not come cheaply. Perhaps the execs didn't consider the ratings were worth the cost of the show. 

• Like 2
On 5/17/2024 at 3:03 PM, iMonrey said:

Same! How does this get canceled and some dreck like Alert gets renewed?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I will miss this show. I have no desire to watch the Matlock reboot.

‘So Help Me Todd’ Cliffhanger Has Fans Mad After Cancelation
By Shawn Lealos   May 18, 2024
https://tvshowsace.com/2024/05/18/so-help-me-todd-cliffhanger-has-fans-mad-after-cancelation/ 

When CBS explained why it was canceling shows like Blue Bloods, the network said it needed to “freshen up” the schedule by adding new shows. That means some fan-favorite shows had to end. However, they also said that they wanted to allow the shows to end on notes that ended the stories.
So Help Me Todd ended without a real ending because the cancellation came so late. According to creator Scott Prendergast, he had no chance to try and fix the ending since he wrote and filmed it before the cancellation announcement.
With NCIS: Hawai’i, CSI: Vegas, and So Help Me Todd, CBS went back on their word concerning ending shows on a good note for fans. This has left fans frustrated with the network and angry about investing so much time in shows that ended without a finale.

It is worse for So Help Me Todd because Prendergast pitched the cliffhanger ending as part of the show’s second season before he started writing. “They all said, ‘of course. That’s great,’” Prendergast said (via Deadline). “Even they thought at the time, ‘Well, of course, you’ll be back. Do a cliffhanger!’”

Skylar Austin showed disappointment. He wrote, “What kills me the most is I know how the series was really supposed to end. It was perfect.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

I will miss this show.

I may miss it more than anyone.

2 hours ago, tv echo said:

I have no desire to watch the Matlock reboot.

I do. 

• Like 2
On 5/17/2024 at 3:03 PM, iMonrey said:

I am going to irrationally hate whatever show they put in its place. Almost 20 years later, I am still mad NBC canceled American Dreams for the Martha Stewart version of The Apprentice.

On 5/17/2024 at 4:55 PM, chitowngirl said:

Matlock with Kathy Bates.

My reaction is simultaneously, "Of course it is" and "You've got be kidding." She isn't even a relative of the original character. She just has the same last name, and it's trading on the recognition of the (mostly older viewers) of CBS who remember and loved the original. 

• Angry 1
  • Useful 2
On 5/17/2024 at 5:35 PM, incandescent said:

While I will very much miss this show, I am glad they ended before they could revisit Susan/Todd, which was one of the most boring aspects of S1.

And it sounds like they were planning on killing Susan's husband to do it.  Definitely not a fan. 

On 5/18/2024 at 7:49 PM, Court said:

Same! How does this get canceled and some dreck like Alert gets renewed?

Different networks.

• Like 2

If costs versus viewers was the issue, it would be fairly easy to cut some of the production costs: after solving the scandal/finances of the firm, Margaret leaves and establishes a small law practice (cuts costs of extras and supporting actors in the law firm); have her son take a job in D.C. so he and his family are in fewer episodes; change filming from Portland to a lower cost location (I think they film in Portland although not sure).  

I'd rather they continue on as this is such an enjoyable show for me.  Like others, I will miss it.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, seacliffsal said:

If costs versus viewers was the issue, it would be fairly easy to cut some of the production costs: after solving the scandal/finances of the firm, Margaret leaves and establishes a small law practice (cuts costs of extras and supporting actors in the law firm); have her son take a job in D.C. so he and his family are in fewer episodes; change filming from Portland to a lower cost location (I think they film in Portland although not sure).  

I'd rather they continue on as this is such an enjoyable show for me.  Like others, I will miss it.

Agree, but the 2 leads don't work for chump change.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Agree, but the 2 leads don't work for chump change.

I think I agree with @seacliffsal. The lead actors are an expensive fixed cost, but you can save money elsewhere. As others have suggested, Margaret, Susan, and Francie start their own legal firm. They bring Lyle along for the investigative side, and Todd rents a space within the suite for his deceive agency (although he is still helping out the new firm on a regular basis). This would mean far fewer supporting cast or background characters. 

• Like 1

Production already takes place in Vancouver so there aren't many places they could move it to that would save them money.

Extras/background actors aren't going to be much of a cost savings.  They could easily avoid them by having the scenes take place in offices.  The only way to save on cast is by cutting main cast members:  Margaret, Todd, Alison, Lyle and/or Susan. 

But most networks aren't going to use the cost-cutting method for a show in its second season unless they have a different distribution method in mind--like streaming.  

• Useful 2
(edited)

On 5/17/2024 at 5:35 PM, incandescent said:

While I will very much miss this show, I am glad they ended before they could revisit Susan/Todd, which was one of the most boring aspects of S1.

I loved Todd/Susan. After reading it, it proved once again that my track record matches Taylor Swift's record sales. 😅

Edited by Simba122504

What Were the TV Season’s Most-Watched Shows? And Which Cancelled Dramas Had the Most Viewers?
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 31, 2024 
https://tvline.com/lists/most-popular-tv-show-rankings-2024-ratings/

MOST-WATCHED CANCELLED SHOWS
1. Blue Bloods, CBS (8.4 million for first half of final season)
2. NCIS: Hawai’i, CBS (7.8 million)
3. So Help Me Todd, CBS (6.2 million)
4. CSI: Vegas, CBS (6.1 million)
5. The Good Doctor, ABC (5 million)

• Sad 1
  • Angry 4
  • Useful 1
On 5/25/2024 at 9:22 PM, Sarah 103 said:

My reaction is simultaneously, "Of course it is" and "You've got be kidding." She isn't even a relative of the original character. She just has the same last name, and it's trading on the recognition of the (mostly older viewers) of CBS who remember and loved the original

I know CBS caters to an older demographic but I’m 59 and Matlock premiered the same year I graduated from college. I didn’t watch it then…

CBS, if this is your demographic,well, that’s not good.

I am still upset that this popular show was canceled 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Fire 1
9 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I know CBS caters to an older demographic but I’m 59 and Matlock premiered the same year I graduated from college. I didn’t watch it then…

I never watched Matlock during its initial run but do watch it once in a while now.  From just the description I've read about New Matlock, it sounds like the character wants to show/prove how smart she is whereas some of the charm of Old Matlock was that he underplayed his intelligence thus catching people off-guard (in the Columbo vein of having the villain underestimate the lead so that he/she could be lured into making a mistake).  We shall see.

But, and this is a very big BUT, I will so miss this show and wish they would wait and see what show tanks next fall and replace that one with New Matlock.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

Since the show has no real in-universe connection to the original Matlock (she isn't a relative and she isn't a younger person taking over the firm and keeping the name due to the prestige/name recognition), the only reason for the series to have the name Matlock is to appeal to the mostly older audience who remembers the original series and will watch it. The only thing I can think of is that CBS thinks a good chunk of their audience and the segment they most want to have as viewers are people over 70.

After seeing how well So Help Me Todd was doing in @tv echo's post, it makes me wonder what was kept/what could have been cancelled to save So Help Me Todd. I also like @seacliffsal's idea of waiting. The odds are something new would be cancelled midseason, and the new Matlock could have replaced that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

My mother liked Matlock and I'm old, so I must have caught a few episodes, but I don't remember what it was like.  I'll watch this version to see what it's like.  Not because it's called Matlock, but because I like a good lawyer show and this one seems to have a bit of humor (from the commercials), which would make it especially appealing to me.

This reminds me of when all the Elsbeth commercials were on and people were saying they weren't going to watch because of them.  Now the show seems pretty popular.  If the theme/tone/premise of a show interests me, I'll generally give it a try.  I won't discount a show because some idiot decided to inundate us with commercials or some bigwig wants to capitalize on a predecessor show.  I'll give the showmakers (writers, directors, actors) a chance.

Still wish Todd were still around, though.  😞

Edited by Johannah
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, incandescent said:

Glad the cast is already booking new projects.

I appreciate the Deadline article author (Nellie Andreeva) starting off with condolences to the readers:

A month and a half after the painful cancellation of So Help Me Todd, main cast member Inga Schlingmann has been tapped as a series regular on another CBS procedural, the upcoming Watson, headlined by Morris Chestnut. That is both good news for So Help Me Todd fans, as it keeps a piece of the show on CBS, and bad news, since it makes the series’ end permanent. There was never a realistic chance but fans had been holding out hope that So Help Me Todd could find a home elsewhere.:

But I've never met a medical show I didn't come to loathe, so probably not for me.

(edited)

CBS Boss: ‘I Sympathize’ With the ‘Disappointed’ Fans of Our Cancelled Shows
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   JUNE 11, 2024
https://tvline.com/news/cbs-president-reaction-ncis-hawaii-cancellation-csi-vegas-1235261032/ 

CBS Entertainment president Amy Reisenbach says that she and other execs at America’s Most Watched Network would “toss and turn” while deciding which shows to cancel this spring.

“I’m a big fan of TV first and I sympathize and relate to all of the fans out there who are disappointed in the fact that these shows are ending,” Reisenbach said on Tuesday at the Banff World Media Festival (per our sister site Variety). “But at the end of the day, our job at CBS is to make those really tough calls,” she added, echoing the comments she made in May at CBS’ fall schedule reveal soiree.

Over the course of a week in April, CBS pulled the plug on CSI: Vegas (after three seasons), So Help Me Todd (after two) and NCIS: Hawai’i (after three). The network then went on to announce a fall schedule that includes two new dramas — NCIS: Origins (aka the Young Gibbs prequel spinoff) and Kathy Bates’ Matlock — and closes out each Sunday night with drama reruns.

“We toss and turn and have sleepless nights and have endless discussions” about cancellations and renewals, “but we look at all of the numbers,” Reisenbach said at Banff. “We look at what our projections are for the future, we look at where we see opportunities to potentially have even bigger success on the schedule.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
(edited)

Cancelled TV Shows: What Would’ve Happened Next on So Help Me Todd, Castle, Magnum P.I. and 65 Others
BY TEAM TVLINE   JUNE 30, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/cancelled-tv-shows-what-happened-next-spoilers/ 

SO HELP ME TODD (CBS)
Ended: May 16, 2024 (after two seasons)

What Would Have Happened in Season 3: Following this mother-son legal dramedy’s untimely demise, series creator Scott Prendergast spilled every last bean to TVLine, revealing what the next five (yes, five!) seasons would have held for Todd and Margaret’s inner circle. A quick summary couldn’t possibly do the full interview justice, but here are a few key bullet points: Folding would have been the Big Bad of Season 3, with producers eyeing Joe Pantoliano to play the oft-mentioned partner; Todd and Judy would remain a couple for about three more seasons, but she would ultimately leave for Thailand, and Todd would marry someone else; Allison would join the family business, becoming a forensic pathologist and medical examiner, and aiding in more cases; Susan would leave the firm, but she would return to defend Margaret when Folding succeeded in framing her, possibly also leading to a romantic reunion with Todd.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Our full interview includes additional nuggets like wanting Amy Sedaris to play Beverly’s wife, and which of Margaret’s sons would officiate her wedding to Gus. (Seriously, he told us a lot.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Sad 2