Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: The Birds

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

As some participants find success hunting, the prospects of a long stay increase. One survivalist’s unexpected discovery becomes a boon in the right hands, while another seeks a creative way to make their food last. Later, a looming threat forces one participant to realize they’re time may be running out.

Airdate: July 7, 2022.

(edited)

I found it ironic and very foreshadowing that he talked about how thirsty he was all the time while there was that beautiful rushing stream behind him.  No, he can't drink straight out of it, he's not from Mexico like Juan Pablo, but water is in abundance all around him, yet he's thirsty.

Nutrition may be hard to come by, but hydration is all around--get a pot of water, boil it up on the fire, cool it a little and drink up.  Hydration is more in their control than anything else.  

I truly do not understand why he showed us that horrible looking chemical stew looking pot of white colored water, saying it tasted like turpentine.  Is he downstream from some polluting manufacturing operation?  How does back country stream water boil up to that?  

I have so many questions, because none of that made sense.  Yes, he was sick from a parasite infection, and thus extra dehydrated, but that does not explain the foul water.

Jessie's neat demonstration of her clever water cache, however, nicely bookended Terry's water issues.  Nice editing touch.

Edited by HurricaneVal
Make words more better
  • Love 6
(edited)

Random health warnings on the screen I find kind of interestingly odd - cholesterol from fat may kill you! found objects may have tetanus! Are the risks of starvation, dehydration, and wild animal attack not enough? 

The Hodge Podge may be larger than my first apartment. I’m the complete opposite of an outdoorsy person so I don’t know the order of what should take priority when it comes to shelter versus food, but it seems like thats a lot of time and effort on a larger than necessary shelter. And, as y’all have mentioned, food will probably become more scarce as the weather worsens.  

I saw the tail end of an ad for Alone:Frozen. I couldn’t tell if it’s just a different name for a new season or a whole new thing. Did anyone see the entire ad? 

Maybe I’m not remembering the last couple of seasons, but it seems that not as many people are struggling with the alone portion of the show this time. Or maybe they aren’t recording their inner dialogue the same way or it’s not editable in a way to show. I can’t remember how quickly people usually drop compared to time spent. Knowing the Internet, I imagine someone, somewhere probably has a spreadsheet that shows it for each season with comparisons, but I’m not even sure how to search for that. 

ETA:  My dog would like to make it known that he strongly disputes the note on the screen that squirrels can run up to 20 miles an hour. He tells me that the squirrels in our backyard can run one zillion miles an hour because he has never caught one yet. 

Edited by ramble
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

Well I had Terry pegged as the winner last week, so that shows how much I know. I guess he relied too much on that beaver meat. 

Most of these people are finding sufficient game and fish and eating much better than they usually do on this show, and yet they are still losing a ton of weight. 40 pounds in 40 days is a lot of strain on the body. I wonder if they aren't better off starting out skinny - like instead of packing on extra pounds before starting this, they go on a strict diet and get their bodies used to subsisting on less food. Sort of acclimate themselves to the diet they're going to have to live on out there. Nothing but protein and fish and maybe some greens and berries.

Random thoughts: Why aren't they allowed to bring flags? Nice door on Adam's shelter. If you recall he's a treehouse carpenter so it's no wonder his shelter went up so easily. I can't figure out what's hanging over his window though, some sort of plastic or fabric sheet.

Not to be mean but Karie Lee has some gnarly looking teeth. Adam's mom isn't the only one who needs a new set. 

Uh-oh Tom. Thought he was done with his shelter. I kind of thought he was the next front runner after Terry until now. He's the only one who said he wasn't lonely out there.

Now that we're down to six maybe they can feature all of them? No Juan Pablo this week.

Watch Jessie end up winning the whole thing, she'll be the last on there, and still working on her shelter. They'll come to tell her she's won and she'll be all like "No, can't go home yet, still working on Hodge Podge Lodge."

I saw the tail end of an ad for Alone:Frozen. I couldn’t tell if it’s just a different name for a new season or a whole new thing. Did anyone see the entire ad? 

It looks like sort of a spin-off; only six contestants. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, ramble said:

It's a spin off with six former contestants of regular "Alone" that are dropped in the middle of nowhere in the middle of frozen Winter.  Sounds interesting, I intend to tune in.  It starts August 11th.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Random thoughts: Why aren't they allowed to bring flags?

I wonder if that is possibly related to Colby Donaldson from Survivor Australia who brought a ginormous Texas flag as his luxury item.  Back when there were luxury items allowed on Survivor.  The tribe used his flag as a tarp, a blanket, and a cargo carrier so it was more a stealth survival item than a sentimental item.  Colby kind of bragged about it, he couldn't believe his proposed luxury item made it through the cut.  Survivor did change their vetting process on luxury items after that, and then eventually did away with them altogether.

Or it could possibly be due to production paranoia as to what the flags the competitors might choose, and the symbolism associated with them and how they may be displayed.  I think they're shying away from making inadvertent political statements and causing a controversy.  Even if it isn't an overtly political flag, like if someone elected to bring a "Let's go Brandon!" flag or a Rainbow flag, there are ways of displaying official national flags that are symbolic and carry dog whistle messages.  Production probably doesn't want to have to constantly assess if Adam flies his American flag upside down, is he making a political statement that he believes the US is in trouble, is he sending a message to some militia group somewhere, is he anti-vaxx, or does that mean that Adam is just a little extra confused today and wasn't paying attention when he put his flag out that morning.

That said, I fully believe when Teimojin flew his Canada "flag" underwear that his intent was for a little humor and a sincere expression of deeply felt Canadian patriotism.  I do not believe he was expressing anything approaching contempt or a lack of respect.  I think he was making a bit of a joke on production, really.  For only being allowed two pairs of underwear, those Canadian boxers looked very clean, so Teimojin was certainly respectful enough to leave them pristine before doing that scene.  I imagine he only flew them a short time and then put them into regular use.  We'll see if we spot it on his shelter in upcoming episodes.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Nutrition may be hard to come by, but hydration is all around--get a pot of water, boil it up on the fire, cool it a little and drink up.  Hydration is more in their control than anything else.  

Or collect rain water. Jesse built stupid Hodge podge lodge and doesnt hunt but she was smart enough to set up a rain water collection system. Poor Terry , he had skills and I watching him prep the beaver was interesting.  Jesse and Karie Lee basically havent eaten anything fir over a month. It is hard to out starve a women because of physiology. 

8 hours ago, ramble said:

It is 6 former contestants somewhere in Arctic.  It wasnt clear if they kind of work together. I would rather the spring Northern Ontario version with black flies, mosquitoes,  deer flies and horse flies.

8 hours ago, ramble said:

seasons, but it seems that not as many people are struggling with the alone portion of the show thi

This years theme seems to be mothers

and ethical hunting

16 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

chemical stew looking pot of white colored water, saying it tasted like turpentine

. Do they provide them with any water purification tablets? Those things are gross.  

Back to Karie Lee. I was expe2hate for her since she said she would eat a fox and has eaten coyote. It could have been a weasel that tried to steal her squirrel . She seems way more mentally unstable than JP saying she will never tap out. I guess that is easy to say when it is likely they will pull you out next week (preview shows her puking)

I love Toms fireplace but not sure what his whole plan is for his shelter. Adam was right, first thing I thought of was boat or dock. 

I guess they havent been showing Karie Lee is because all she does is pick and eat berries .

ETA.: my apologies,  I am watching a show about surviving in the wilderness and I can barely survive with my internet down all day and had to type this all out on my phone,  so lots of typos

Edited by Blackie
Eta
  • Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Or collect rain water. Jesse built stupid Hodge podge lodge and doesnt hunt but she was smart enough to set up a rain water collection system.

That rain collection system was pretty slick.  Her huge house is one of the funnier things I've seen on this show.

Poor Terry, I was sad to see him pulled out.  He had a good attitude.  I was impressed when he said that stomach upset was a gift, now there's a guy showing some gratitude for life.

Teimojin does not look to be one of the better shots with the bow.

I'm thinking overall, this may be the best fed group of contestants of any season, at least so far.  Too bad the beavers come with parasites.  They said one gentleman (can't remember the name) had eaten 21 critters, but had lost 44 pounds, that's pretty crazy.  Speaking of crazy, it looks like some of the contestants are beginning to crack up.

• Love 3

Regarding the rain collection tarp, isn't that liable to have birds poop in it?  I mean, it's not guaranteed clean water, right?  I wasn't sure if she was boiling it before drinking it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Teimojin does not look to be one of the better shots with the bow.

Also Karie Lee looked too shakey to use a bow.  (That would be me, i cant even use a zoom lens anymore). I can't imagine bow hunting is easy but Adam especially and Tom seem very good with their bows.

5 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

That said, I fully believe when Teimojin flew his Canada "flag" underwear that his intent was for a little humor and a sincere expression of deeply felt Canadian patriotis

Ironically because he is from Quebec this could be seen as the type of political statement they are trying to avoid.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Regarding the rain collection tarp, isn't that liable to have birds poop in it?  I mean, it's not guaranteed

She could cover it with branches or something. But it doesnt seem like there are a lot of birds around there so i think the risk would be low

• Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Blackie said:

It is 6 former contestants somewhere in Arctic.  It wasnt clear if they kind of work together. 

If they're working together, they may as well be on Naked & Afraid: Frozen, which is also coming up later this summer.  Frozen must be the new survival theme.  I recognized one guy, but no one else. 

Not surprised that Terry got pulled.  When he started talking about sharp pains and nausea, I thought he was sick.  Damn beavers.

Tom is next, I think.  He's losing his coordination.  

Cute idea with the boxers flag, but does that mean he was wearing the same pair for 40 days?  EWWWWWWWWWWW

Hodgepodge lodge looks like it's as big as my first floor.  And it's STILL not done.  I don't expect her to last, considering she's spent the prime hunting time building a shelter.  But that is a cool water cache.  I hope she still boils it.  Bird poop, dirt, and/or dirty pine needles can be falling in that pool.

Why wouldn't the item Adam kept referring to as a dock make a good dock?  Yeah, nice door, nice seat, blah blah, but they ain't gonna keep you fed.

Karie Lee is past weird.  And yeah, her teeth are weird.  Sorry.

Maybe next episode we can see everyone.

Edited by madmax
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

They seen to be blaming every abdominal pain on parasites when there could be other medical reasons based on eating such a limited diet of protein and fat. I hope they do an after show with everyone diagnosis. Terry had constipation problems at the start so if he was dehydrated and not eating any fibre of course it is going to be painful when someone starts poking your intestine. In the chirons of this show they said high fat diet can cause abdominal pain but they didnt say that when Benji had pain the day after eating all that beaver fat.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, madmax said:

Cute idea with the boxers flag, but does that mean he was wearing the same pair for 40 days?  EWWWWWWWWWWW

Hodgepodge lodge looks like it's as big as my first floor.  And it's STILL not done. 

Maybe he goes commando?

If Jessie's house gets any bigger, she's going to have to start paying property tax on it.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3
35 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Darn it...now I have to rethink my signature dishes: Beaver Tartare, Beaver Burgers, Beaver Tailbeans at my new eatery...

The Beaver Lodge Brassiere.

Are you going to rent out Hodge Podge Lodge and make it a Bed and Breakfast???  It's always great when a B&B uses local resources.  LOL.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Well, phooey! My fave tapped out! I loved his voice---can someone help me out with which actor he sounds exactly  like? My brain is over-wracked!

Yeah, he had a great voice. I think he sounds like Trace Adkins.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Because "brassiere" means something else entirely. 

A beaver fur brassiere would be cozy.

5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

My fave tapped out

Well technically he was pulled out for medical reasons.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Well technically he was pulled out for medical reasons.

That was an ominous scene when he said something like "I'm never tapping out", and the next shot was of a boat coming.

• Love 1

Terry wanted to go.  Any issue medical brought up he quickly agreed he had.  If he wanted to stay he would have downplayed it.  Yeah he sounds like Trace.  I think because they are both gigantic men so there’s plenty of chest room for those deep voices.

I think Kerrie Lee’s teeth look bad because they are berry stained.  She needs to get in there with some charcoal is all.   (I did go brush my teeth after watching this episode).

I’m not a snacker in general but every time I sit down to watch this I make myself a big bowl of popcorn.  

• Love 3

Only got to watch this today due to Rogers being knocked out all across Canada since Friday.  I agree with whoever said above that they had a hard time surviving without the TV, internet etc.   I record any shows I want to watch and that was the last thing to start working.   I think I'm very spoiled.

I am really enjoying this cast, have they ever gone this long (42 days) with so many still in the game?  The contestants pretty much are all determined to stay till they are forced out, tough bunch.  Did anyone notice when the guy who has the big stone fireplace/stove had the gloves sitting on it, it looked like some kind of creature sitting there with it's hands in its lap, it struck me as funny.   I'm rooting for the Canadian guy but like all the others too. 

• Love 3
On 7/9/2022 at 5:54 PM, IdEatThat said:

I’m not a snacker in general but every time I sit down to watch this I make myself a big bowl of popcorn.  

We were having ice cream while we watched the first episode, and we felt like we were freezing.  That has now changed to having hot out of the oven snacks and hot coffee.

On 7/9/2022 at 11:32 AM, SassyCat said:

Yeah, he had a great voice. I think he sounds like Trace Adkins.

We were thinking Sam Elliott, but agree Trace Adkins is a good guess too!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, eyelash said:

We were thinking Sam Elliott, but agree Trace Adkins is a good guess too!

Yeah! Sam Elliott too! Had that same deep rich voice. A handsome trio, the bunch

• Love 2
On 7/9/2022 at 9:54 PM, IdEatThat said:

Terry wanted to go.  Any issue medical brought up he quickly agreed he had.  If he wanted to stay he would have downplayed it.

I'm sure he knew they would pull him for medical reasons so he could make statements like "I think I have more time here, I am not going to tap".  I bet you he doesn't tell his friends that he tapped, I'm sure he tells then he got pulled for medical.

Jessie seems to be going he same route.

Oh, man. This is not a show I'd want to watch while I was eating!

• LOL 1
On 7/9/2022 at 1:05 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

Well, phooey! My fave tapped out! I loved his voice---can someone help me out with which actor he sounds exactly  like? My brain is over-wracked!

I think Terry sounds like Dennis Haysbert from the All State commercials.  He has a very low voice as well.  

• Love 1