Type keyword(s) to search

The Resort - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The Resort       July 28        Peacock          eight 30 minutes episodes
Three Episodes released at Launch with New Episodes Streaming Weekly.

THE-RESORT_-KEYART.jpg

A multi-generational, coming-of-age love story disguised as a fast-paced mystery about the disappointment of time. An anniversary trip puts a marriage to the test when the couple finds themselves embroiled in one of the Yucatan’s most bizarre unsolved mysteries that took place fifteen years prior at the Oceana Vista Resort.

Cristin Milioti will play Emma, a high school teacher at a plateau in her monotonous marriage with Noah. They're celebrating their 10th wedding anniversary when they're pulled into this mystery together.   

William Jackson Harper will play Noah, also a teacher, but unlike Emma, Noah seems perfectly content floating through the mundane reality of his existence.   

Nina Bloomgarden will play Violet Thompson, who is vacationing with her father and his girlfriend at the Oceana Visa Resort.    

Nick Offerman will play Murray Thompson, Violet’s father.  

Ben Sinclair will play Alex, a resort owner.  

Gabriela Cartol will play Luna, the concierge at Emma and Noah's resort.   

Luis Gerardo Mendez will play Baltasar Frías, the head of security at the Oceana Vista Resort in 2007. 

Parvesh Cheena will play Ted, who's here on vacation with his husband, also named Ted. 

Michael Hitchcock will play Ted, who's here on vacation with his husband, also named Ted.    

Skyler Gisondo will play Sam. Sam was on vacation with his parents and girlfriend in 2007 at the Oceana Vista Resort.      

Debby Ryan will play Sam's girlfriend, Hannah.  

Dylan Baker will play Sam's dad, Carl.  

Becky Ann Baker will play Sam's mom, Jan.

Billed as an imitation of White Lotus.

Sam Esmail is one of the EPs but I think the creator is someone else, the guy who created Lodge 49, which I never saw.

The Resort         July 28         Peacock       

Episodes 1-3   Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: The Disappointment of Time

Emma and Noah’s anniversary trip to Mexico takes a turn when Emma finds an old phone in the jungle.
the-resort-peacock-series-streaming-6.jp
NUP_198031_00232R.jpg?quality=85&w=1600

S01.E02: A Noxious Toothworm

The couple seeks answers about Sam and Violet’s disappearance, leading them to a powerful family.

NUP_197070_00011R.jpg

S01.E03: Tempus Exhaurire

Emma and Noah find secrets of the old resort; in the past, sparks fly between Sam and Violet.
cristin-milioti-the-resort-1.jpg
the-resort-peacock-4.jpg

I agree- much better than White Lotus because I bailed after the second episode and they are nothing alike. It helps that I like both of the leads so they will likely keep me watching even if the rest of the season goes downhill. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Only meant to watch the first episode, and save the other 2 later.  Just like that empty bag of chips on my table, “later” never came.  Watch all 3 and I am hooked.  Now I am sad that I have to wait a week for a new episode (and because the chips are gone).

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I watch The Resort only because of Luis Gerardo Méndez and the mystery.

So far, I like it. It's better than The White Lotus. There's no obnoxious people. There's no rude & ungrateful teenagers. It's not as funny as OMITB but it's still quirky.

Am not a fan of both leads (WJH and CM) but their characters are tolerable, so far. The scene where they misinterpreted the "pervy" texts between Violet and Sam is funny.

TBH, Noah is more likeable than Emma. Her recklessness and impulsiveness are killing me. These aren't funny. She made me scream at my screen several times. I feel like strangling her when she cannot stop babbling to Luna about finding Sam's phone. She also likes to leave her beg everywhere despite knowing how important that flip phone is.

My favorite scene - Baltasar Frias dancing at the Xmas party. He's weirdly cool. I want more of him!

giphy-downsized-large.gif 

• Love 2

I'm sensing a supernatural/time travel element here that may ruin the whole thing for me (Balthazar not aging, the thrown fruit).  It works fine as a straight amateur sleuth drama. 

The mural had a lot of detail - the banana boat, the naked (body on the beach?) guy, a big-ass tooth.  

I had assumed there be some kind of time travel element from early on, but now it seems inevitable.  Not sure how I feel about it if that’s the case.  I was into the mystery solving, and to see how the relationship is/isn’t repaired with Noah and Emma.  I also want “closure” for Sam and Violet’s families if they are still alive.  With the time warp component, I guess I will wait and see how it plays out.  I’m still into this to keep going!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

S01•E04 - The History of Forgetting

For me, this is a much better episode than the previous three. It’s Baltasar-centric, narrated by LGM and also the lack of Emma and Noah. The backstories of Baltasar and Oceana Vista provided the much needed clarification on who he is.

Hope we will have more explanation on the “pasaje” in next episode.

Is this a precognitive painting ala Heroes or Alex’s Alzheimer or something else entirely? 🤔

EE2AFD4E-C4BB-4F40-BC43-E8795EB5A9EE.jpeg

The severely mutilated body found on the beach must be Alex.

97779D8B-63E1-450F-84C0-1D70FFA114E9.jpeg

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

I’m loving this, supernatural or whatnot.

And actually, this episode made me come up with a theory

Spoiler

Alex is Sam.

He somehow transitioned, once to the past (the dinosaurs, the commet, Mexican bay is the place the commet struck afterall), once to the times around 2000s, when he set up Oceana Vista to „make memories”, aka recreate the context of his first passage…

The time-passing scrambled his mind.

Spoiler tags, because maybe it’s true? 

• Love 2

That is a really good theory. Didn't Baltasar say that no one knew where Alex came from - one day, he just sort of appeared? Then when Baltasar asked him where he got the skateboard, Alex said he'd had it since he was a kid, I believe. Baltasar dismissed that as just another lie, but maybe he was actually telling the truth.

• Useful 3

S01•E05 - El Espejo (the mirror)

The Pasaje - a room outside of time.

Alex was right. Baltasar is really a memory detective. His instincts are spot on. I love the moment when he asked Emma, “what did you lose?” The look on Emma’s face… great acting by CM!

Alex told Sam & Violet - “Do not go to pasaje. Go home.” So they still went there and now they are trapped in it??! 🤔

Does Alex’s memory leak (always) lead to the time loop and isolated space??! Or is it just his amnesiac mind? Is Alex still alive? 🤔

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

This article explains some things in Episode 5, but I'm still confused. Must watch again:

https://www.tvinsider.com/1055904/the-resort-episode-5-alex-time-travel-ben-sinclair-andy-siara-peacock/

Same. I need to see the shot again they're talking about in episode 4 with the 65 million years of history in it. The one when the staff is on the beach taking the photo, I'm assuming. 

But in general, if they have to explain this much then it's too much damn effort on my part. This is exactly why I never watched Lost past the pilot way back when it originally premiered. I was so confused after that episode, I said NOPE. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

There was this moment at the beginning, when Alex opened the wardrobe and took the shirt while looking at Sam - with no reaction.

Perhaps he thought it’s a mirror and he’s seeing himself? (Still with Alex is Sam theory :))

• Useful 2

During the stream of consciousness thoughts (or whatever that was) that Alex was having at the beginning of the episode, he did confirm that his name was made up, with the verbiage being something like, "How the hell did you come up with that?" 

Given the effect everything has had on Alex in terms of his mind and memory, I wonder if he doesn't even remember that he's Sam (if that's the way they're going). 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

^I wonder if they're going somewhere with that. This episode focused a lot on Violet losing her mom and Emma losing her daughter. It seemed significant that Noah said that he'd been able to see their daughter, so he has that memory but Emma doesn't. I did start to wonder if the show is going somewhere mind-bendy with that. 

Violet's mother's book included a statement about "meet me there," so I wonder if Emma becomes a time traveler or a parallel universe traveler, or whatever Alex is. There also has to be some kind of significance to her tooth problems, but I'm not sure what that's supposed to signify.

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, weathered1 said:

Violet's mother's book included a statement about "meet me there," so I wonder if Emma becomes a time traveler or a parallel universe traveler, or whatever Alex is. There also has to be some kind of significance to her tooth problems, but I'm not sure what that's supposed to signify.

Yea, I said earlier that I think maybe Emma is experiencing the same 'memory leakage' that Alex is since she said in the first ep that she was 'forgetting who she is' and then she lost the tooth.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, I said earlier that I think maybe Emma is experiencing the same 'memory leakage' that Alex is since she said in the first ep that she was 'forgetting who she is' and then she lost the tooth.

Oh, I must have somehow missed that post. 

The more I think about it, the more I think this is the way they're going. Perhaps the time traveling (or whatever) takes a physical as well as a mental toll, hence her tooth. Given Noah's line about how seeing their daughter was a memory that Emma doesn't have, I wonder if there are other memories she doesn't have, or at least, doesn't have anymore. 

• Like 1

First, I don't think I've ever seen Luis Gerardo Méndez in anything before, but he is wonderful. 

Second, this wasn't my favorite episode, but it did spawn some new theories: 

I'm now thinking that Emma's tooth symbolizes how her dissatisfaction with her life, along with her grief for her daughter (about which she doesn't speak), are slowly killing her, which will be what prompts her to time travel (leaving Noah, who is more content with his life, behind). 

I can envision a scenario in which Emma enters Pasaje and encounters Sam and Violet, who exclaims, "Mom?!" She then tells Emma that her mother (Emma herself) died due to extreme cognitive decline; so basically, what happened to Alex will happen to Emma. Emma then makes the choice to time travel anyway, knowing that it will eventually kill her at a fairly young age. However, she decides that being able to have Violet and having some years to make memories with her is worth it, since she was robbed of that with her first daughter. 

The beautiful and terribly sad irony about that is that she'd go back in time in order to have Violet and make memories, all the while knowing that those very memories will ultimately be ripped away from her. 

In this scenario, then, if Alex really is Sam, then he would have planted the phone for Emma to find knowing that it would be imperative for her to do so, so that she'd go on her quest for answers, and go back in time in order to have Violet, who would go on to be the one love Sam/Alex had. 

There are some holes in that theory, and it's entirely possible that I'm *wildly* off-base, but that's what I'm thinking as of right this moment.

• Mind Blown 2

I had never heard of this show. It wasn't recommended to me by anything I was watching. I started it on a whim because of William Jackson Harper.

Wow. This show is really good. It's funny, weird, and intriguing all at once.

Peacock has some really great original shows that they're not publicizing at all. What's up with that?

I'm trying not to overanalyze anything. I'm enjoying the ride and want to be surprised for the ending. I am loving the discussion and theories about this show.

What a hidden gem of a show.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

Noah and Emma's relationship is so heartbreaking. They had such a tragedy and Noah wants to move on with Emma, but Emma can't move on with Noah. I've seen this happen. One partner wants to use the relationship to repair the grief and trauma, but the other partner is only reminded of the grief and trauma because of the relationship.

Lots of good exposition in this episode. It didn't feel long or slow to me.

On a superficial note, I don't think I can ever get used to Nick Offerman without a mustache. I thought his jungle explorer look was pretty convincing though. I'd watch a Romancing the Stone remake with him as Michael Douglas's role. I think that would be fun, and he'd be really good at it.

Looking forward to how they wrap this up.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

Noah and Emma's relationship is so heartbreaking. They had such a tragedy and Noah wants to move on with Emma, but Emma can't move on with Noah. I've seen this happen. One partner wants to use the relationship to repair the grief and trauma, but the other partner is only reminded of the grief and trauma because of the relationship.

I thought that really came across when Noah asked Emma, "Do you even like me anymore?" They both had valid points and they were both also wrong and right. It was a very realistic argument.  

From her voicemails, Emma's view of her future is so bleak. She talked about the highs never being as high, but the lows just keep getting lower. It's very relatable. As you get older, it does seem like there is less to look forward to and it's easy to get lost in that, especially if you've suffered a loss like Emma. 

A tarp in the middle of the jungle is nowhere I would get any sleep at all. I once considered burning down a house to collect the insurance money after a very large Palmetto (aka cockroach) got in my bedroom, so sleeping on a jungle tarp is not in my wheelhouse. Also, no way I would go down that dark, warm hole (that's what he said!). 

Edited by Faceplant
punctuation
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Well, it turns out my theory was apparently more fanfic than anything else. At least I noted that I was likely wildly off-base, so at least I got one thing right. lol

Nick Offerman is a treasure, and this episode made me wish that his role in this show had been more significant. 

The Emma and Noah content was quite sad, and I think it portends her moving on by entering Pasaje and going . . . wherever. Or whenever, as the case may be.

I'm just hoping that this show doesn't wind up like similar series where they set everything up to have major reveals and substantive answers, only for the end to be lackluster, at best. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I just saw the first episode, and was wondering if there was a forum. Not sure if I want to pay for another subscription service, but I was pretty taken with the way the first episode started weaving the two timelines together. And I like the two leads in both timelines.  Happy to see that people enjoy it. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

I just saw the first episode, and was wondering if there was a forum. Not sure if I want to pay for another subscription service, but I was pretty taken with the way the first episode started weaving the two timelines together. And I like the two leads in both timelines.  Happy to see that people enjoy it. 

Peacock has some pretty good originals and they're not really advertised much. I just stumbled upon this show browsing and started it because of William Jackson Harper.

Other than The Resort, here are my favorites. 

• The Amber Ruffin Show
  • Rutherford Falls
  • We are Lady Parts
  • Killing It
  • Psych 2 and 3 (If you watched Psych the tv show. If not, watch that first.)
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2