Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E22: Welcome to the Ring

• Start Topic

As Marty prepares to propose to his girlfriend, Calvin and Tina work with party planner Chika to throw a celebration that properly honors their future daughter-in-law’s Nigerian heritage.

Airdate: 05/23/2022

Season finale!

I'm gonna disregard the sheer idiocy of Marty proposing to someone who only appeared in 2 episodes before this one, because the writing was really on point this episode. I liked the cold open with the hallelujah box, that was really funny. And also the part where Tina made the proposal all about herself. And the line about being good at weddings but not at marriages? Amazing.

The scene where Dave gave Gemma the ring was very sweet and just the right amount of emotional. I like that even in an episode centered around Marty, the Johnsons also got their moment to shine.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I liked the cold open with the hallelujah box, that was really funny

I cracked up. Tina just going off with joy and then the explanation of what the box was for was gold. 

I love Malcolm and Marty’s relationship (I guess Marty will be moving?) and I love that the Johnsons and Butlers are in community with each other. That party was lovely, as was the celebration when Malcolm got his new job. This is one of those shows that just makes you feel good to watch.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Harvey said:

I'm gonna disregard the sheer idiocy of Marty proposing to someone who only appeared in 2 episodes before this one, because the writing was really on point this episode. I liked the cold open with the hallelujah box, that was really funny. And also the part where Tina made the proposal all about herself. And the line about being good at weddings but not at marriages? Amazing.

The scene where Dave gave Gemma the ring was very sweet and just the right amount of emotional. I like that even in an episode centered around Marty, the Johnsons also got their moment to shine.

Are you sure it was only two episodes?  Wow. I feel it was earned because when they have been discussing the relationship it seemed to have been progressing in a realistic manner. And so nice for Marty, who had been such a goofy nerd. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Are you sure it was only two episodes?  Wow. I feel it was earned because when they have been discussing the relationship it seemed to have been progressing in a realistic manner. And so nice for Marty, who had been such a goofy nerd. 

I couldn’t remember if this was the adult actress or not.

(edited)

Gina Yashere who played the party planner in this episode also plays Kemi on Bob Hearts Abishola and co-created that show. I didn't recognize her and wondered why there was a loud cheer when she was first shown at the door. I found out why after going IMDB to look up the episode. 

I'm glad Marty finally seems to be heading towards some more happiness since he always seemed to be the one who wasn't as lucky for quite awhile. It will be interesting to see who moves out of the house he and Malcom share or if they'll try having all three of them in the same place for the storyline reasons.

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

I agree with the comments here that a marriage proposal doesn't seem logical as YES, we have only seen this character maybe 2 times on the show. Sadly, we have not seen this relationship develop at all on camera. All I know about her is that she is boxer? Bob Hearts Abishola has done the same thing with the 2 title characters; we have not really seen their relationship develop; pulling the same thing with Bob's brother's relationship with the bus driver..meeting his family so quickly. Is this something CBS is doing? I find it curious that Tina Yashere guested on this show and the fiance just happens to also be Nigerian....like the Bob show. What is CBS doing?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Gina Yashere who played the party planner in this episode also plays Kemi on Bob Hearts Abishola and co-created that show. I didn't recognize her and wondered why there was a loud cheer when she was first shown at the door. I found out why after going IMDB to look up the episode. 

I'm glad Marty finally seems to be heading towards some more happiness since he always seemed to be the one who wasn't as lucky for quite awhile. It will be interesting to see who moves out of the house he and Malcom share or if they'll try having all three of them in the same place for the storyline reasons.

I didn’t recognize Gina Yashere at first, either.

6 hours ago, floridamom said:

I agree with the comments here that a marriage proposal doesn't seem logical as YES, we have only seen this character maybe 2 times on the show.

The Necie character was introduced on S04.E11: Welcome to the Knockout, so she and Marty have been dating for 11 episodes or half of the season. Since they are only getting engaged, they still have time to get to know each other, but since they have never lived together, there are still problems to be discovered.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Jaded said:

I thought I recognized her but I wasn’t sure, given the hairstyling and costuming. I always do that when I see people out of context. Max Greenberg is in a new Hulu movie I was watching over the weekend, and at first I wasn’t sure who he was. The Valet. A fun rom com. He plays a villain!  

• Love 1

Ninety nine percent of Marty's dating this woman has not been on the show. Frankly, I forgot about this character...due to not seeing her or their relationship develop at all....so, I still think this is way too premature. After engagement, is not the time to get to know one another....it's before. Are the writers for this show the same ones who write for Bob Hearts Abishola?   I see a lot of similarities now.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I don’t have a problem with these relationships. I assume a lot happens off camera and and that more time has passed on the show than in real time. 

Same.  Just because we've only seen her four times doesn't mean Marty's only seen her four times.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Same.  Just because we've only seen her four times doesn't mean Marty's only seen her four times.

I agree. We've seen them together and she's been mentioned here and there. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/24/2022 at 5:38 AM, Empress1 said:

I cracked up. Tina just going off with joy and then the explanation of what the box was for was gold. 

I love Malcolm and Marty’s relationship (I guess Marty will be moving?) and I love that the Johnsons and Butlers are in community with each other. That party was lovely, as was the celebration when Malcolm got his new job. This is one of those shows that just makes you feel good to watch.

Agree with all of this. I adore the brothers, and I love that Marty found his happy ending.

And Malcolm getting his dream job was so awesome. 

The brothers have one of the best dynamics on the show, so I don't look forward to splitting them up, but there's potential if the show draws out the engagement.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 5

I could see the 3 of them sharing the house while everyone was saving up for their own places. Malcolm should be making better money, but I can’t imagine he’d be in a position to buy his own place yet. They all get along, they’re in a nice neighborhood, Mom loves to spoil them yet she has her life and they have theirs. I think I’d like that arrangement as long as the writers don’t introduce a bunch of Too Close for Comfort agita.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I could see the 3 of them sharing the house while everyone was saving up for their own places. Malcolm should be making better money, but I can’t imagine he’d be in a position to buy his own place yet. They all get along, they’re in a nice neighborhood, Mom loves to spoil them yet she has her life and they have theirs. I think I’d like that arrangement as long as the writers don’t introduce a bunch of Too Close for Comfort agita.

How old are Malcom and Marty supposed to be?  You don't see too many adult brothers sharing a house when one of them is married,  and Marty has always had a good job.

• Love 1
On 5/28/2022 at 11:40 AM, mansonlamps said:

How old are Malcom and Marty supposed to be?  You don't see too many adult brothers sharing a house when one of them is married,  and Marty has always had a good job.

I think they’re in their mid-20s. Maybe Malcolm is in his late 20s. I’d think Marty sharing the place with Malcolm would have enabled him to save up; he does have a good job and I’m sure his living expenses went down splitting rent (and I’d bet the parents aren’t charging market value). Malcolm should definitely stay put - with the new job, he’s probably making decent money for the first time and he’s probably paying less there than he would anywhere else in LA. 

On 5/26/2022 at 12:07 PM, Browncoat said:

Yep. It’s an ensemble show. While all the other storylines were going on, Marty has been in this relationship. There! Done.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Yep. It’s an ensemble show. While all the other storylines were going on, Marty has been in this relationship. There! Done.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:07 PM, Browncoat said:

That does nothing to help us be invested in the character though

• Useful 1

I watched the rerun of the episode where Marty meets Necie last night, and realized that was the woman to whom he's now engaged. Before that, I didn't really remember her at all.  

• Love 2