Type keyword(s) to search

Season Three Spec & Spoilers for Star Trek: Picard

• Start Topic

Well, we now know that all but one of the original cast of the show has now left to pave the way for TNG2.0 in the final season. What a waste of characters brimming with potential for further development. At least Soji and Elnor are still on the table for future projects, potentially also Agnes/Borgati, but the producers went scorched earth on Rios. Gone. Poof. And I do not buy it as a happy ending.

So season three will be Picard, Raffi, Seven and all the TNG cast. I'd have looked forward to seeing them again if the whole of the rest of the cast of this show hadn't been jettisoned to make way for them.

• Love 1

Rios can come back a number of ways. That's the magic of shows of this nature.

As much as I will miss the cast who won't be part of season 3, I'm looking forward to seeing the TNG cast again.

Not too impressed with the trailer or the new villain.  It should have been Lore and Moriarity with a hacked version of the mobile emitter going after the TNG cast for revenge.  Why bring in another unknown villain!?!?!? Who wants to bring down the Federation (been there - done that how many times!?!??!)

I heard that one of the writers said who's Lore in some interview for NYCC 2022. Anyone can confirm this?

Thought on the trailer... 

-I like Amanda Plummer a lot so good casting on the villain. For you X-Men fans, she has a Cassandra Nova vibe to her.

-That being said the action in the trailer reminded me too much of the 2009 Star Trek and more worrisome, seems to resemble the "bad man with a big gun" storyline of the last four Star Trek movies. Villain just wants to destroy Earth/The Federation because those are the only stakes the writers can ever come up with. Funny part is, the villains don't have to destroy Earth...the Picard writers have done a great job of that already.

-Speaking of the X-Men, they are really embracing the while Old Man Logan vibe with Worf becoming a pacifist. That being said, it's an interesting turn for Worf. Given everything he has lost and gone through  I can see him choosing a new path. Knowing this show, I'm sure his son has dies and it was probably a brutal death. Riker's line was hilarious though.

-Moriarty returns! That was completely unexpected and exciting. I was a big fan of the two episodes he appeared in. A great choice for a return.  I admit I thought it was Sylvester McCoy at first.

-I can't believe Innever thought of Spiner returning as Lore. I just assumed he was deactivated for good back in Season 7. That being said, seeing Lore without Data is intriguing. Lore certainly doesn't deserve a redemption arc though that could be what's happening.

So those two reveals at the end made me more excited after my second viewing of the trailer. I hope this season arc will be more than another bad guy with a big gun but I have no faith in this creative team whatsoever.

Edited by benteen
  • Like 1

Presumably our heroes will prevail against whatever threat they face in the upcoming season.   Perhaps the series could end with the reassembled crew agreeing to take on just one more mission -- to go back in time and save Picard from Season 2, triggering a temporal repercussion that makes it so it never happened.

• LOL 5

So Ed Spleers is playing a character called Jack Crusher who is British and blond and apparently Beverly has a secret which ‘thrills and enrages’ Picard - so Jack’s going to be their secret son, right?

I can’t get behind the idea that Beverly wouldn’t tell Jean-Luc he has a kid. I mean, Jack has got to be at least thirty. She kept that from Picard for thirty years? It made sense with Kirk that David barely knew him; he was hardly father material. But Jean-Luc was clearly longing for a child and a family by ‘Generations’ and talked to the others about it. 

I always found Beverly Crusher my favorite doctor, not as a character but as a doctor, of all the MDs in Star Trek, because she seemed to actually have empathy for her patients. To have her keep a child from a guy who has made it pretty obvious how much he wanted a family, despite his issues, to the point of even taking on and mentoring Wesley for years, let alone his father-son thing with Data, would be terribly cruel.

At least three of their movies featured Picard’s longings for a child or something similar. Picard’s search for a child-substitute, from the death of René and his fake family in ‘Generations’, to his willingness to die for Data in First Contact, to Shinzon being the closest and least similar to a child he could have, ending in the slight hope that B4 could be that for him… all that was a theme that ran through the TNG films like the theme of age vs adventure ran through the TOS films.

And now, what, he had a kid all along and the kindly woman he adores kept him from his son? While Worf, Geordie and the Riker-Trois, hell, even Data in a weird way, got to have their kids?

I have stuck with this show through thick and thin, but I’m going to hate this, aren’t I?

Edited by Lebanna

Wet blanket alert. Being a huge TNG fan back in the day, I had started to get excited about season 3. I only watched the Nepenthe episode of Picard so far, at least all the way through. The rest of Picard is not my TNG (it may be others, just not mine). 

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate JJ Abrams' "mystery box" writing. All secretive and whetting appetites that'll never get satisfied. That's my fear as to what's going on here.

Here goes my speculation, based on the trailers, interviews & reviews (and why I'm going to hate it). 

Episode 1 as Riker and Picard hook up for the "Butch Cassidy" moment. Except Picard and Riker were never Butch Cassidy type buds. Early on, Riker and Worf were the closest to the best buds each had, and in the later seasons, Riker and Troi were confidants and besties ("I'm closer to her than I've ever been to anyone") and so were Beverly and Jean Luc. Even though Picard warmed up to his crew more toward the end, it wasn't until All Good Things that he even joined in their reindeer, err poker, games. So already, I'm not going to buy into it. 

We're told early on there's trouble in the Troi-Riker marriage. I've waited years to see those two settle down. Nepenthe was a good place for them, even with the grief for the son they lost. They didn't need to upset the apple cart about that, though I think it's been done as a plot point. 

Episode 1, and likely carrying over to 2, because who doesn't love a dragged out plot, starts with Riker joining Jean Luc as he and Deanna are on a break, and just like the opening of Wrath of Khan (I can hear it now -- "It's AN HOMAGE""), upon a routine ship inspection of the Titan, Jean Luc receives the "don't trust anyone" message from Beverly. Jean Luc takes the controls from Saavik, errr, Titan's non-woke captain, whose purpose is to deadname Seven of Nine and probably dramatically die later after a slight moment of realization, and travels off to find Beverly. What he finds instead is an angry Jack Crusher. 

6 hours ago, Lebanna said:

but I’m going to hate this, aren’t I?

I wish I could tell you no, but my guess is that the dude with gun to Riker's head is Jack Crusher, born during Beverly's second season absence from the ship. For reasons that'll never make sense, no matter how hard showrunners will try. They'll go full Season 8 David and Dan from Game of Thrones and blame the fans for not accepting their vision before they admit that it doesn't make sense. Have they ever seen Attached? Or will they conveniently explain that away? OMG, tell me they're going to claim Beverly had the baby and didn't even know? Ugh, there's no good scenario to come of this. 

The two main plotlines of this 10-episode drip, that might converge, is that Amanda Plummer is the daughter of Romulan Admiral who was the Defector (TNG, Season 3). Right before he committed suicide, he wrote a letter to his daughter, which Picard hoped one day will be delivered. That letter will get delivered in episode 9 or 10. 

Meanwhile, the Federation is being infiltrated by a parasite, just like in the Conspiracy. (It's an HOMAGE!) That'll bring us back to the Troi/Riker woes. Troi's estrangement from Riker is due to a parasite. And Picard and Riker will discover that she's been infected, and that just might be their Crimson Tide show down. 

The convergence of these two plot points could happen in that Plummer is using the parasite to exact her revenge. 

Worf'll be there, playing mentor to Picard's version of Kill Bill's Uma Thurman, Raffi. 

And, in the closest thing to being original, it may be that Picard will come to realize he can't trust any living being, so he'll have to call on artificial life forms to defeat the parasites. Enter Lore and Moriarty. 

Let's see how I do. 

TLDR: Season 3 will be Conspiracy  meets the Wrath of Admiral Jarok's Daughter, with a side of "Jack Crusher" being Beverly & Jean Luc's son and the ret-conned reason why she was missing from Season 2.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

Wow, Francie, at this point all that seems completely possible. I was really looking forward to this season but my anticipation is draining away fast. I think the season 2 Crusher absence thing especially is very likely and the parasite return is definitely a plot point that is just waiting to be revisited.

I hope Troi’s head doesn’t explode.

Also, after the complete mess they made of Guinan’s timeline last season (I quite enjoyed it, but it was total nonsense), it wouldn’t be at all surprising to see them just ignore ‘Attached’ completely because it got in the way of their latest storyline. I think that’s easier than ripping off Doctor Who and ‘River Song-ing’ Jack so that his mother somehow doesn’t remember that she gave birth to him.

These writers don’t seem to care at all that anyone who watched the original series will constantly be annoyed by them simply ignoring the bits that are inconvenient.

All I’d add is that if Picard finally dies (again) permanently this season, we’re going to see Jack Crusher take the name Picard so that one day he will be Captain Picard too. And even though I recently added my mother’s surname to mine, even for me, it will be way too cliché.

Because the show is called ‘Picard’, so last season it was also the story of Renée Picard and now it’s going to be the origin story of the next Captain Picard as well. Meh. It’s just too pat.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Like 2

What I want to know is, will we get a 'Shut up, Jack!' meme - gotta honor family tradition after all.

Are we sure he's Picard's son? Because Doctor Crusher sure as hell had a lot of fun with that magical candle *showing myself out now*

• LOL 6
5 hours ago, Lebanna said:

...Also, after the complete mess they made of Guinan’s timeline last season (I quite enjoyed it, but it was total nonsense), it wouldn’t be at all surprising to see them just ignore ‘Attached’ completely because it got in the way of their latest storyline.

Paramount Plus has a new video on Youtube promoting S3. Wil Wheaton talks to the TNG cast and the producers about it - no spoilers at all. But it includes a montage of character moments for each of the original crew. Both Crusher's and Picard's montages play up the romantic angle to the point someone not familiar with the show might think they were getting it on the whole time. It includes the clip from "Attached" where Crusher asks why he never told her he was in love, so they can't claim they don't know about it.

I can believe them having a kid; "All Good Things" had a future where they married and divorced. But I haven't been following the timeline in Picard, so did they have time to have a kid who is 30? Personally, it makes more sense that Jack is a crossover from some other universe - maybe a parting gift from Q or the result of some anomaly.

• Like 2

Beverly giving her late husband's name to a child sired by Picard? I know the men were friends, but that seems odd. For that reason I'll entertain the idea that he is either Jack revived, Jack's clone or Jack's way-posthumous offspring. Though he will very likely prove to be Picard's son, who might better have been named U.S.S. Legacy.

• Like 2
On 2/11/2023 at 5:38 PM, Cattoy said:

Paramount Plus has a new video on Youtube promoting S3. Wil Wheaton talks to the TNG cast and the producers about it - no spoilers at all. But it includes a montage of character moments for each of the original crew. Both Crusher's and Picard's montages play up the romantic angle to the point someone not familiar with the show might think they were getting it on the whole time. It includes the clip from "Attached" where Crusher asks why he never told her he was in love, so they can't claim they don't know about it.

I can believe them having a kid; "All Good Things" had a future where they married and divorced. But I haven't been following the timeline in Picard, so did they have time to have a kid who is 30? Personally, it makes more sense that Jack is a crossover from some other universe - maybe a parting gift from Q or the result of some anomaly.

In some ways it falls in with the themes if the other seasons and I’m assuming a crossover universe thing, a mirror child? But it seems unnecessarily complex. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Affogato said:

In some ways it falls in with the themes if the other seasons and I’m assuming a crossover universe thing, a mirror child?

Extended family includes Old Uncle Jim Kirk?

40 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Or maybe Jack himself was fooling around and it's his illegitimate son.

Road trip to Risa... Geordi has to search the visitor archives, track down all the women that were there when Crusher visited...   

I miss the other original Picard characters. Glad at least two of my favs, Seven and Raffi, made it, but if the rumors about killing off a major character are true, I fear it will be Raffi.

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 1

Yes, and soon! (No offense to the actor, I actually like him.)

Or maybe the creators believe in nepokids/ dynasties and want the new spin-off, if there is one, to revolve around another male "Picard" ...

Edited by ofmd

Assuming Crusher had the kid during S2 when she was at Starfleet Medical, then, possibly, she got knocked up during the events of The Naked Now, or the One Where Everyone Was Drunk. But, it still begs the question of why she stayed away from her kid for so many years. Was she embarrassed by the pregnancy? Hardly a modern position. Did she think it would hurt her chances with Picard? Was it his kid, and she didn't want him to know? It's going to be hard to come up with an explanation that makes sense. And even harder to explain how Picard didn't find out when they were mentally linked during Attached.

36 minutes ago, Cattoy said:

And even harder to explain how Picard didn't find out when they were mentally linked during Attached.

The only guy with less respect for canon than J.J. Abrams is Akiva Goldsman... This is the guy that killed cinematic Batman until Christopher Nolan revived it... 

• Like 1

Is ot possible that Beverly's son is a Shinzon clone or a son of Shinzon (though he acted like he had never seen a human woman before)? Shinzon wiped out the entire Romulan senate when he took power. He would have made a lot of enemies and at least that would make sense as to why Beverly felt the need to go dark and protect him. Otherwise it makes no damn sense for her not to tell Picard.

23 hours ago, ofmd said:

I miss the other original Picard characters. Glad at least two of my favs, Seven and Raffi, made it, but if the rumors about killing off a major character are true, I fear it will be Raffi.

Beverley doesn't look that good at the moment.

I can see killing off Picard  might make sense, his last adventure.

10 hours ago, starri said:

Am I the only one who thinks Worf is Raffi's mysterious handler?

Not at all. They called her a warrior. "Warrior" is trek speak for Klingon. And that usually means Worf.

Edited by ofmd
4 hours ago, Affogato said:

Beverley doesn't look that good at the moment.

People have been harassing Terry Matalas on social media about rumors of Deanna dying, and he got fed up with it and said she and Riker will be fine.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, ofmd said:

Not at all. They called her a warrior. "Warrior" is trek speak for Klingon. And that usually means Worf.

Worf would never text such oblique messages... Playing cute word games or telling someone to figure it out runs counter to his direct manner.

If you were any other man, I would kill you where you stand!

• Like 1
On 2/19/2023 at 9:59 PM, MissLucas said:

Show likes to torture Raffi - so the handler is probably Tal Shiar.

And nobody would go, Hey, we know someone who could help with that! Because Laris' only role now is understanding girlfriend to prop up our protagonist.

• Like 3

Since there is only 1 episode left in Season 3, and probably only 1 player still sitting on the sidelines that is powerful enough to take down the resurgence of the Borg and reverse their infiltration of Starfleet.  The Prophets.

Which means Benjamin Sisko might just show up.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Since there is only 1 episode left in Season 3, and probably only 1 player still sitting on the sidelines that is powerful enough to take down the resurgence of the Borg and reverse their infiltration of Starfleet.  The Prophets.

Which means Benjamin Sisko might just show up.

Other Super Power Entities:

• Q Continuum
  • Metrons
  • Organians
  • Old Dude who eradicated all Husnak with a single thought
  • Nagilum

So like Rise Of Skywalker - these other species will become voices that talk to Sisko and give him the power to defeat the Borglings