Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E17: Got My Mind Made Up

• Start Topic

On 5/12/2022 at 8:19 AM, Spectator said:

I really wish he’d done that in a private moment. It turned a sentimental moment into somewhat of a performance

I’m sure that was the point- the whole ring subplot seemed like an obvious product promotional placement for which the show (and maybe Steve?) were compensated with a free ring, etc.

• Love 2
On 5/12/2022 at 11:21 AM, Retired at last said:

I just read the comments so I didn't have to watch. I think I will do the same next week. I agree that there must now be a bonus incentive to say yes on Decision Day and then they can get the divorce after the Reunion show, which I think is another 3 months? But, I hope the "experts" are not given a bonus because they really sucked. I wonder if there will be any changes or adjustments to the next season, based on how badly the last couple of seasons have been, or if that is just the new direction.

And, if these people think they will ride the reality TV train to fame, I hope the show remembers the disaster they had with Couples' Cam just putting people who said yes on their D Day and never made it past their season as model couples (VirGINia and Eric?). I think the couples should be together for at least a year before they do that, if that show is brought back. Even so, those stories were also too heavily produced (see Big Red and Jamie). By the way, I have never watched even one of those shows, because I get all I need to know from you lovely people. Thank you!

Plus, Producers probably read all the comments about the show.  That’s why everyone had to say YES.  Imo, bet they all would have said NO.  

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/12/2022 at 4:33 PM, princelina said:

I think she assumed that Chris and the audience would all agree he wasn't good enough for her 😄

She didn’t like him the minute she saw him.  She wanted Movie Star looks.  Tall and handsome with perfect teeth. She didn’t even get to know his personality.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

She didn’t like him the minute she saw him.  She wanted Movie Star looks.  Tall and handsome with perfect teeth. She didn’t even get to know his personality.

Exactly - she decided immediately that he wasn't good enough, assumed we (the audience) would agree, and IMO even thought he should agree when she announced to him that they obviously weren't meant for each other, but would play along so that they'd each get the chance to live in the apartment and "have the experience".  She totally expected him to agree that they obviously weren't suited - the flaw in her plan was when he didn't!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I’m pretty sure one of them stayed married for nine months and never had sex; they were in separate bedrooms on the show and there was not a second of chemistry of any kind between them. I can picture then but can’t remember their names - he lived in a more exurban area and she was in the city, she had dark hair and he was fairer.

what do you mean by “allowed?” Meaning the show won’t start the process until after the reunion has aired? Because if they’ve said they’re splitting on decision day, the jig is up.

Yes. As I understand it. If the contestants file for divorce before final episode/ reunion airs people are able to search out the county records and "spoil" the ending. 

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, princelina said:

Exactly - she decided immediately that he wasn't good enough, assumed we (the audience) would agree, and IMO even thought he should agree when she announced to him that they obviously weren't meant for each other, but would play along so that they'd each get the chance to live in the apartment and "have the experience".  She totally expected him to agree that they obviously weren't suited - the flaw in her plan was when he didn't!

Yes, and I really think she wanted to stay to play with the other girls, as she liked talking with them.  With her babyish personality, I thought she didn’t have any friends back home.  Like who would want to hang with her on their honeymoon?  She’s a spoiled and very rude child.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, princelina said:

I don’t think she wanted him to play along.  Playing  along would have meant her actually spending time with him and moving into the apartment with him… while not actually doing any of the ‘homework ‘ such as when Myrla refused the intimacy exercise. In other words, doing just enough to let the producers think she was trying. Instead she refused to spend time with him, asked the producers to keep them apart and wanted them to each live in the apartment but at different times.  The producers had no choice but to let Chris call an audible.    

• Love 1
On 5/15/2022 at 2:22 PM, ChiMama said:

I’m sure that was the point- the whole ring subplot seemed like an obvious product promotional placement for which the show (and maybe Steve?) were compensated with a free ring, etc.

I agree completely. The ring was all very staged/promotional and production didn’t even try to hide it. I just wish they executed the promotion when Steve and Noi were alone, not in front of all the couples. It was inappropriate and quite uncomfortable for the other couples (and the viewing audience).  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Spectator said:

On 5/15/2022 at 4:22 PM, ChiMama said:

I agree completely. The ring was all very staged/promotional and production didn’t even try to hide it. I just wish they executed the promotion when Steve and Noi were alone, not in front of all the couples. It was inappropriate and quite uncomfortable for the other couples (and the viewing audience).  

That Michelle Collins person who I think has hosted a few MAFS specials agrees with you. She posted a whole Instagram reel on that very topic. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdoSglKp-Rv/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= 

I am happy that Mark and Lyndsey said yes. I want them to go get couples therapy to learn how to talk to each other and I think they can be an amazing couple who will solidly have each others back.

On 5/12/2022 at 2:55 PM, Elizzikra said:

He wants what he wants and what he wants is to go back to the 50's and have a standard issue, 50's housewife. He doesn't give a damn about anything else.

And too often, men like that also want her to have a career and bring in some money.  Nope, you want a 50's housewife, you get to earn enough to keep the family going by yourself.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, lh25 said:

And too often, men like that also want her to have a career and bring in some money.  Nope, you want a 50's housewife, you get to earn enough to keep the family going by yourself.

And you have to choose a wife that wants that for herself too. Not all women do.

• Love 3
On 5/14/2022 at 12:01 PM, Madding crowd said:

I can’t stand Noi but I wouldn’t be happy chained to a desk all day while my husband was hanging out on the beach (summer) or brunching with friends while I worked all day. It is different if you are taking care of kids but I think I would be resentful because if my husband was so well off that he didn’t need to work then he should find a way to make his spouse have it easier too. 

Steve said she could take off too.

• Love 1
On 5/18/2022 at 4:13 PM, Elizzikra said:

And you have to choose a wife that wants that for herself too. Not all women do.

He didn’t get to choose,remember.  He asked for that kind of wife.  MAFS.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

To throw a crumb Alyssa's way: She was totally upfront about her preferences. She signed onto "Married at First Sight," not "Married at First Personality." And she's a GFP! 😄

But she won't admit that! She said that she could tell as the wedding night went on that she and Chris differed on core values and I really, REALLY wanted Kevin Frasier to ask her for examples. Seriously - how much could she possibly think that she knew about who Chris was as a person after spending one afternoon with him - in which they were rarely alone together and had little substantive conversation?

Her objections to Chris were completely surface - so own that ACE. Just admit that you didn't like his looks and couldn't get past it. That makes her look very shallow, but at least it doesn't make her look like a liar.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

To throw a crumb Alyssa's way: She was totally upfront about her preferences. She signed onto "Married at First Sight," not "Married at First Personality." And she's a GFP! 😄

green fluorescent protein?  must be something else - what?

• Wink 1
15 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

But she won't admit that! She said that she could tell as the wedding night went on that she and Chris differed on core values and I really, REALLY wanted Kevin Frasier to ask her for examples. Seriously - how much could she possibly think that she knew about who Chris was as a person after spending one afternoon with him - in which they were rarely alone together and had little substantive conversation?

Her objections to Chris were completely surface - so own that ACE. Just admit that you didn't like his looks and couldn't get past it. That makes her look very shallow, but at least it doesn't make her look like a liar.

At this point, I am also pissed at people acting as if or actually not watching enough of the show seasons to know that the assignments are not a physical match many times and not going on the show because of it.

In addition, the high horses of people disappointed by their matches and unwilling to acknowledge that if they were actually as stellar at presentation of themselves and attracting their chosen demographic, they wouldn't need to go through this process and beg for a match.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, red12 said:

At this point, I am also pissed at people acting as if or actually not watching enough of the show seasons to know that the assignments are not a physical match many times and not going on the show because of it.

In addition, the high horses of people disappointed by their matches and unwilling to acknowledge that if they were actually as stellar at presentation of themselves and attracting their chosen demographic, they wouldn't need to go through this process and beg for a match.

You have a good point, but! If "physical match" and "presentation" aren't part of the show's deal, why are the hopeful singles asked their preferences in the first place?

12 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

You have a good point, but! If "physical match" and "presentation" aren't part of the show's deal, why are the hopeful singles asked their preferences in the first place?

I think they probably would like to find a physical match but many times it's not available. I am willing to bet the guy Alyssa thinks is her match physically is not the type of man willing to answer hundreds of questions, go through multiple rounds of interviews and marry a stranger on tv. Then you add the geographical limitation and it's a very tall order. In addition I don't know that guy makes good tv watching for us either.

• Love 1
On 5/14/2022 at 12:01 PM, Madding crowd said:

I can’t stand Noi but I wouldn’t be happy chained to a desk all day while my husband was hanging out on the beach (summer) or brunching with friends while I worked all day. It is different if you are taking care of kids but I think I would be resentful because if my husband was so well off that he didn’t need to work then he should find a way to make his spouse have it easier too. 

I took a break after I got laid off and when we did our taxes the following year, it looked like I had worked because I had my bonuses and severance. My kids are past the age of stay-at-home parents. But gosh, I would hate for my husband to begrudge the free time I have because of the path he chose with his career.

Noi is rigid and only talks about having an employer - would she even be open to any other revenue generation or career development if Steve were to introduce her to something besides working that entry-level job in her 30s?

Besides, I don't recall Steve saying he'd be hanging out at the beach all day. Steve's current situation is exactly that: current. It hasn't been a long time since he got laid off.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:37 AM, red12 said:

I think they probably would like to find a physical match but many times it's not available. I am willing to bet the guy Alyssa thinks is her match physically is not the type of man willing to answer hundreds of questions, go through multiple rounds of interviews and marry a stranger on tv. Then you add the geographical limitation and it's a very tall order. In addition I don't know that guy makes good tv watching for us either.

Not only that, but even if that unicorn man (movie star looks willing to be on MAFS) did exist, he would take one look at her and have the same reaction she had to Chris (though no doubt he would be more gracious about it, as any genuinely “good person” would).  She’s not the legendary beauty she thinks she is.  In fact aside from his teeth, which are fixable with a bit of cosmetic dentistry, Chris is at about the same level of attractiveness as she is.

• Like 3